Forums

Topic: NL Game Club Session 2: Cave Story

Posts 121 to 129 of 129

Kid_A

Started a thread about it in the DSiWare forum. No one seemed to care.

Blog: http://www.sequencebreaking.blogspot.com
3DS Friend Code: 2277-7231-5687
Now Playing: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Stine

I've been getting my butt kicked by the final bosses for the last couple of days, but finally I'm done! During my last time, I was like "Okay, I'll try one more time. I'll get sick of this game if try any more, and I don't want that to happen. I suck at this, and I have tons of other games to play. So screw this if I don't do it now!" And... I did it. I beat the game! I had such a hard time trying for the normal ending on easy, so I'm ignoring the other difficulties and the best ending for now. Might go back and view the bad ending, though.

HolyMackerel

Well, this session has ended. I didn't get involved this time since it was too close to my last playthrough. Those of you who did play and especially those of you who finished, would you care to post a quick personal review of Cave Story?

HolyMackerel

she_gamer

(SPOILERS)
My opinion of cave story: 9/10
This won't be a big formal review or anything, but I just wanted to point out a couple things that I really enjoyed about this game. First of all, I found it had a great difficulty curve. I played on PC (although I'll definitely be picking it up for the 3DS), and it's about the only PC game I've played besides solitaire. The controls were strange at first, and I'll admit I died a few times in the very first cave. But the game moved at just the right speed for me to find it challenging and yet not insane.
I loved the heartwarming story, and the characters (I had to reset the game just so I could save Curly... couldn't let her die!!). I can't really say much about the music since I played this at work (shhhh) and had it on mute. Gameplay was fantastic, unique, and never boring. I find it amazing that one person could design a game that was so nicely balanced (albeit short).
Seriously, every gamer should give this a shot. After playing the free version, I can't help but want to support the game in some way... and if it wasn't coming to the 3DS I'd definitely pick it up on Wiiware.

Edited on by she_gamer

she_gamer

Nintendo Network ID: she_gamer

HolyMackerel

@she_gamer Oh, you really missed out if you didn't hear any of the music or sounds! If you end up picking it up on WiiWare/DSiWare/the 3DS then I'm sure it will be even more enjoyable with the audio up.

HolyMackerel

BleachFan

I should probably try to finish my "good" run of this game.

Now that I have the Booster V 2.0, the area leading up to the Doctor is really hard O.o

I'm working on a game that's coming out soon!
Cipher Trailer

SpentAllMyTokens

Near the end of the game I think. I'm at that boss run.
SPOILER Beaten the Dr., but not the big giant boss after that. Didn't save Curly or get the Nemesis or keep the mimiga mask, so I'm guessing I'm getting the normal ending. /SPOILER

I know I'm sort of late on this one, but this has been an amazing game. I've played through on Normal mode without any walkthroughs or help, and though there have been some tough parts, I feel the difficulty curve has been pretty spot on.

The story has also been really good, and I've enjoyed it immensely. I really like how things are revealed. It's nice to have a game that doesn't explicitly spell everything out for you through cutscenes and soliloquizing walls of text. There's a lot to be inferred just through the conversations, and I like that there's space for your imagination to wonder about the nature of your situation.

Overall amazing game. I know I missed some things, so I will definitely be playing through again for a better ending, eventually (probably with some of the hints here). I probably won't mess with hard mode though - I'm not that masochistic, but not saving Curly is definitely going to haunt me.

Edited on by SpentAllMyTokens

I am way too lazy to think of something clever.
My Backloggery

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.