Forums

Topic: Japan Discussion

Posts 501 to 520 of 843

SMEXIZELDAMAN

LZBirdboi wrote:

The only reason I'd want to visit Japan is to me Hayao Miyazaki. I would love to chat with him

He'd make a movie about you b/c you're a silly bird freak D: Unless Howl was too close to that. It'd be a movie about a bird freak who wants to be a catboi and he has to find his identity in the spirit realm where there are many freaks and then you meet the devil and make a deal then you turn into a catboi but one year from then you have to go to complete your side of the bargain then...! Watch the movie to find out.
@paperluigi...I mean catgirls...O___Ol|

Edited on by SMEXIZELDAMAN

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

RR529

So, Tokyo Eye is going to be on Tuesday nights now, instead of Wednesday afternoons.

This means I'll get to see it more now, but this also means they moved around Imagine-Nation (which used to be on Tuesday nights). It's my favorite show, so I hope it's still in a timeslot I can catch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on tonight! The subject was dining out on a budget (since travelers will have to cope with the strong Yen).

First, they higlighted Gyudon, a type of meat & rice bowl, that can be found inexpensively in many restaurants.

They then talked about family style restaurant chains, which often have a western design (again, which is helpful for western tourists), and aren't tough on the wallet.

They then highlighted a couple of public cafeterias. Found in the district (of Tokyo) that houses most of the country's central government buildings, they're both inexpensive, and an educational experience (as they often teach about native Japanese foods & cuisine). One even has an area nearby, that teaches about disaster prevention & preparedness.

They also showcased a budget restaurant, that has a 30 minute all you can drink offer, that only costs 299¥, and offers grilled chicken on a stick for only 60¥.

They ended out with a bar that's part liquor store. To curb costs, the customer chooses their drink & food (canned) off the shelf, and brings it up to the bar themselves to consume. During this segment, they also highlighted Hoitsu (Hoisu?), a Whiskey substitute that is much more affordable than the real thing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

@paperluigi - Do...Do you not know what a catgirl is?

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

The only reason I'd want to visit Japan is to me Hayao Miyazaki. I would love to chat with him

He'd make a movie about you b/c you're a silly bird freak D: Unless Howl was too close to that. It'd be a movie about a bird freak who wants to be a catboi and he has to find his identity in the spirit realm where there are many freaks and then you meet the devil and make a deal then you turn into a catboi but one year from then you have to go to complete your side of the bargain then...! Watch the movie to find out.
@paperluigi...I mean catgirls...O___Ol|

I can already see the millions rolling in. ✰✰✰✰✰

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Raiin

well im majoring in japanese language and literature and going to study there. So i would say I like japan lol

Raiin

RR529

BEGIN Japanology was on tonight! They covered something about Japanese culture I had no idea about, name seals.

Essentially ink stamps, name seals are used in lieu of signatures in Japan (any major document, such as a marriage certificate, requires one to officially sign).

They were introduced to Japan centuries ago from China, & the Japanese government quickly adopted their use. Samurais would try to make very unique & intimidating seals to represent them & their personality. After the Meiji Revolution, when all Japanese citizens were required to have surnames, the name seal business boomed. They continue to evolve with the times, as there are now electronic name seals, so you don't have to print every document you need officiated.

They're used often in offices, where workers have to stamp every paper they work on, and to sign into work. The stamp used at work will often differ from your home seal, as the day's date will be added to the stamp. On documents that many workers stamp, it's customary to tilt your stamp, to give the polite impression that you're bowing to the next person in line.

To thwart forgery, name seals are often custom made, that way no two stamps are the same (it also allows for a surprisingly great amount of artistic freedom with the characters).

The host also visited a toy store, where one can purchase name seals made for tourists (have western names). Oh, and there was an Angry Birds poster behind the host during this quick segment, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Jibtv was on tonight! They showed a program called Barasu. It was one of those "how is it made/how does it work" programs.

The subject was a recent model in the Washlet Apricot series of "smart toilets", from Toto LTD.

The program was sponsored by East Japan Railway Company, so there was an advertisement for them after the program.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

They had two shorter programs on today. Exclusive Gardens of Kyoto, & Fudoki.

On Exclusive Gardens of Kyoto, they highlighted the famous rock garden at Ryoan-Ji (a Buddhist temple).

On Fudoki, they highlighted a tradition held on the Oga peninsula, called Namahage. Held on New Year's Eve, young adult males dress up as ogres, demons, ect, and go around town scaring young children into obeying/respecting their parents (I've never seen kids so scared in my life O_O). Families also prepare a special stew for the occasion.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Drobotic

The only real facts about Japan that I know are that it is in Asia and they make awesome anime and games.

Currently playing:A little bit of everything :D
Fan of:Adventure Time,The Legend of Korra,The Amazing World of Gumball,Regular Show,Futurama,and gaming on handhelds,consoles,and the PC.

3DS Friend Code: 1332-8187-4581 | Nintendo Network ID: PSICadet

RR529

They had an hour long Itadakimatsu! Dining With the Chef special on tonight!

They went around showcasing thr various cuisine of the Hokkaido region (such as local sushi dishes, noodles, ect), and showed how to prepare them at home.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Itadakimatsu! Dining With the Chef was on tonight.

It was a repeat (the episode where they made a Nabe Hot Pot).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Journeys in Japan was on tonight!

They covered the unique local cuisine of Fukuoka (much of which has foreign influence, since the city was the gateway into & out of Japan, to & from China & Korea in the past), and visited some of the popular local markets.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Tokyo Eye was on tonight!

The host gave a countdown of his top ten favorite spicy foods that can be found in the city. Being a big city, most of his favorite spicy foods (available in Tokyo) don't originate in Japan.

His top 3 were Menkaito (from Japan), Chili (from U.S.A.), & Miso Soup (from Japan) with Tobasco sauce.

Other well known foods that made his list were Curry (from India) & Kimchi (from Korea).

The episode made me hungry, lol.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Magikarp3

I always found it odd that the Japanese ate curry so often, since where I'm from (northern China) nobody uses curry powder in anything. Plus, nobody knows how to, and everyone should be advised to never order anything curried from a Chinese restaurant since it'll most likely be terrible. Which is weird, because China is a lot closer to places which use curry often in cuisine than Japan is. Maybe it was introduced by the Dutch when they colonised parts of Japan?

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

zezhyrule

Magikarp wrote:

I always found it odd that the Japanese ate curry so often, since where I'm from (northern China) nobody uses curry powder in anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry

curry =/= curry powder

Curry powder, a commercially prepared mixture of spices, is largely a Western notion, dating to the 18th century.

Edited on by zezhyrule

[15:36] Corbs: Vita rules - 3DS drools!

zezloggery | i haz youtube | PSN ID: zezhyrule

[23:11] Phoen...

RR529

^What's funny is that when I was younger, I had always thought curry was a traditionally Japanese dish (since I would regularly see it in anime), lol.

It wasn't until years later I learned it came from India.

Also, when did the Dutch colonize any part of Japan? I know they were one of the first (the first) western countries to initiate trade with Japan, but I don't remember ever hearing they colonized Japan.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Magikarp3

I use words incorrectly often. Like curry powder, and colonise. Sorry for the confusion

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

theblackdragon

Magikarp wrote:

and everyone should be advised to never order anything curried from a Chinese restaurant since it'll most likely be terrible.

you have no idea how right you are. i know your average Chinese places in the US are in no way authentic asian cuisine, but good lord i've never had a tasty 'curry' at any chinese place i've tried it. some 'standard' dishes vary from place to place, and i'm always open to trying them at different restaurants to see if they're at least decent... ugh. i think the last chinese place where i tried a curry dish, they just dusted a bunch of straight-up curry powder on some vegetables and beef and then warmed it all up until the mess was about lukewarm. so disgusting

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

RR529

theblackdragon wrote:

Magikarp wrote:

and everyone should be advised to never order anything curried from a Chinese restaurant since it'll most likely be terrible.

you have no idea how right you are. i know your average Chinese places in the US are in no way authentic asian cuisine, but good lord i've never had a tasty 'curry' at any chinese place i've tried it. some 'standard' dishes vary from place to place, and i'm always open to trying them at different restaurants to see if they're at least decent... ugh. i think the last chinese place where i tried a curry dish, they just dusted a bunch of straight-up curry powder on some vegetables and beef and then warmed it all up until the mess was about lukewarm. so disgusting

I'll also say to avoid getting sushi from a Chinese restaurant. I've always enjoyed sushi I've gotten at Japanese restaurants, but whenever I get it at a Chinese restaurant, they put an overpowering amount of vinegar in it, that covers up every other flavor (bleh).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Hokori

^yeah same here, I tried sushi for the first time at a Chinese place, and it was awful, I had it at a Japanese one and loved it, but whenever I go to a Chinese place my dad asked me if I want sushi, I'm like.... Uhhh no

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
W...

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.