General Discussion Forum

Topic: Japan Discussion

Showing 321 to 340 of 833

AuthorMessage

RR529

321. Posted:

BEGIN Japanology was on today! Today's subject is the role & importance of Tokyo Bay throughout the city's history.

The waters are an important fishing area for the city, providing most of it's seafood. Kanagawa & Chiba prefectures also share the waters, alongside Tokyo. It has lots of sea life, and people use the waters for recreation.

They followed a group of fishermen on their local route through the bay. While fisherman elsewhere may use a particular mountain or tree as markers, this group uses famous Tokyo landmarks! The group also serves their fish on pleasure boats (ferries where people/tourists can enjoy the bay).

They explained the history of fishing in the historic city of Edo (old Tokyo), along with the region's unique sea food cuisine, such as tempura. When the city's population topped 1 million, with Samurai stationed in the capital & merchants flocking there, food stores (similar to today's fast food) flourished, with many new dishes created (such as sushi as we know it today).

They then went to a mud flat to catch shellfish such as crabs & clams. In post war Tokyo, in vast industrialization, the mud flats of Tokyo Bay (as well as the bay itself) became heavily polluted. Over time, the bay has become clean once more, and there are groups dedicated to keeping it that way!

In a local park, you can ride on traditional wooden boats in the waters of the bay. They then visited a craftsman who is making sure that the ancient art of making these boats stays alive.

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Hokori

322. Posted:

Just found a cool site for me, it gives me dating tips, culture tips, language tips and just so many tips on stuff I'll need to know soon

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage

RR529

323. Posted:

^So, when are you planning on heading over? I know you said that you were saving up to $5,000 for the move, but I remember WhiteKnight (who has been over there numerous times) saying somewhere that it'd take at least $10,000 just to get a good vacation, and a lot more for a move.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Hokori

324. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

^So, when are you planning on heading over? I know you said that you were saving up to $5,000 for the move, but I remember WhiteKnight (who has been over there numerous times) saying somewhere that it'd take at least $10,000 just to get a good vacation, and a lot more for a move.

That's a tough one to judge, since IDK if he was telling the truth TBH he seems to not be taking my stuff serious, but I remember reading somewhere $10,000 to move and have a few months rent, unless he was telling the truth to me

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

PKNoUsernameHere

325. Posted:

japan gets all of the pokemon stuff >:[

Backlog
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ CLICK NAOW OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Top 5 games: Pokemon HeartGold, Earthbound, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Metroid

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing

AuthorMessage

RR529

326. Posted:

Jibtv was on today!

The main part of today's programming was a triathlon held in Yokohama, followed by what was essentially a commercial for Yokohama tourism.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

RR529

327. Posted:

Imagine-Nation was on tonight!

Opening Topic: They announced the release of Biohazard (Resident Evil) 6 for PS3.

Main Theme: They covered Hayate the Combat Butler - the Animation. It's an adaptation of the popular manga started in 2004, Hayate the Combat Butler. It's about the high school student, Hayate Ayasaki, who takes many part-time jobs to support his eccentric parents. He finds himself as the live in butler for Nagi Sanizenin, a high school girl, whom is super rich. The two often get into funny, serious, and some that lead to all out battle! It has had two TV adaptations in the past, a film (released in 2011), and the current upcoming TV series. Kenjiro Hata, the manga's creator, has started work on an entirely new story as well.

Creator's Interview: they Interviewed the animation director, Yoriyasu. He used to work for a power company, but in 2002, went to Tokyo to persue a career in animation. In addition to being an animation director, he has been an illustrator, designer, art director, and art planner.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

blazerhot

328. Posted:

I love Japan!!! i been looking for a japanese friend code for days..........no luck

Hey! My 3ds fc is 5370-0953-5181! Looking for people who play multiplayer often, nice people or japanease speakers to improve my skills

AuthorMessage

blazerhot

329. Posted:

Am here waiting

Hey! My 3ds fc is 5370-0953-5181! Looking for people who play multiplayer often, nice people or japanease speakers to improve my skills

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

330. Posted:

blazerhot wrote:

I love Japan!!! i been looking for a japanese friend code for days..........no luck

Have you ever been to Japan?

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. Largate de aqui Dark Pit! ブラックピット出ていけ!

AuthorMessage

OracleOfTruth

331. Posted:

Excuse me, but if it's alright with all present parties, could I participate in this conversation as well? If I'm not welcome, I completely understand and I will just step out. I'd hate to intrude.

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

332. Posted:

The_Other_M wrote:

Excuse me, but if it's alright with all present parties, could I participate in this conversation as well? If I'm not welcome, I completely understand and I will just step out. I'd hate to intrude.

You're being too polite. Please participate in any conversation as freely as you want.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842

AuthorMessage

OracleOfTruth

333. Posted:

Thanks. :)

I foresee what you'll do there.
-The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. ~Winston Churchill

3DS Friend Code: 1805-2247-0273 | Nintendo Network ID: True_Hero

AuthorMessage

blazerhot

334. Posted:

Nope lol, i love the culture, i wanna visit tokoyo. I want a japanese friend (most likely a girl). sigh. I want animal crossing 3d in japanese because i cant wait for the english one. I dont mean to be offesive but food in japan look nasty.....thats my only con

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

335. Posted:

@Blazerhot I think its impossible to love a country you've never been to, just being honest.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

336. Posted:

If anybody wants some help learning Japanese, I was introduced a while ago a site that uses Japanese RPGs to help you learn Japanese. It's called The JRPG Club. So far it actually seems pretty useful.

Mecha Wolf Prime

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Hokori

337. Posted:

@blazerhot me too I would also like a friend who's a girl, but as for food, IDK how accurate the Japanese resturant I go to is, but the unagi they make is delicious :)

Digitaloggery
Nintendo of Japan

AuthorMessage

Tsuchinoko

338. Posted:

Well, I don't really think I can comment on anything with girls, that's your own business. Do you have questions about anything? I know Harmoknight keeps saying he wants to live there, but its a bit more complicated than just buying a plane ticket.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842

AuthorMessage

Wonder_Ideal

339. Posted:

@HarmoKnight Where are you moving to in Japan? If you don't feel comfortable sharing that information, that's fine.

Mesaloggery
The Hero of Ideals: A Legend, by True_Hero
I believe that once one has spotted a UFO it becomes an IFO(Identified Flying Object) as you have identified it then as being unidentified. -@3Dash

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8724-1357 | Nintendo Network ID: Ideal_Hero

AuthorMessage

blazerhot

340. Posted:

How old are u harmp knight?