General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 4,521 to 4,540 of 10,258

AuthorMessage

Shy_Kai

4,521. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@Sky_Kai
When you say cute anime/manga do you mean chibi, or that all the characters are just in adorable situations? Or is it the genre?

Do you mean Gakuen Alice? The characters are just adorable in general! Some of the situations are sweet but it can get a bit serious at times.

Shy_Kai

3DS Friend Code: 3024-4966-4489

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,522. Posted:

@Sky_Kai
Got it. Never really tried reading "cute" manga, or watching "cute" anime. Is it any good? I mean, it sounds like it's of good quality, but I'm curious as to whether it'll suit my tastes.

@Konata
Watch the opening of Death Note?

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

AuthorMessage

Shy_Kai

4,523. Posted:

@Rocko52
Do try reading Liar Game- I think it's very clever. But if you really liked Deathnote, I would definitely recommend you watch Code Geass. The character Lelouch is in someways similar to Light. You'd really enjoy it. The dubbed version is great and the opening songs are pretty awesome too :)

Shy_Kai

AuthorMessage

Shy_Kai

4,524. Posted:

Rocko52 wrote:

@Sky_Kai
Got it. Never really tried reading "cute" manga, or watching "cute" anime. Is it any good? I mean, it sounds like it's of good quality, but I'm curious as to whether it'll suit my tastes.

@Konata
Watch the opening of Death Note?

It depends… sometimes "cute" manage can get a little cheesy and cliched but that's the charm! Plus there's various levels of cuteness, at least I think there is! I usually use cute mangas/animes to take a break from more serious manga (or those manga with fight scenes in every second chapter!)

Edited on by Shy_Kai

Shy_Kai

AuthorMessage

Shy_Kai

4,525. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

Is it wrong if I've only considered watching Death Note because of its popularity? My friends have cosplayed as the characters and reference the creepy laughing and potato chip scene often. That's really all I know about the series :p

The potato chip scene is just boss d(^_^o)

Shy_Kai

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,526. Posted:

I was just about to recommend Code Geass. It's a fun show...just don't take its story as seriously as it does.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

4,527. Posted:

@Rocko if you liked Death Note I'd also suggest Eden of the East! It's a little less dark and a little more political, but otherwise the premise is very similar.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,528. Posted:

@Magikarp
Sounds neat.

@CanisWolfred
What do you mean?

@Sky_Kai
Cute manga might be nice.

Anime watching: One Piece, Hunter X Hunter, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

AuthorMessage

RR529

4,529. Posted:

Like @Konata, I'd Recommend Ranma 1/2 as well.

It never came off as girly to me, and it's a pretty funny comedy that has a lot of whacky action (Also, as an InuYasha fan, it was neat to see, as every InuYasha character is a slightly re-skinned Ranma 1/2 character).

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

Mewtwo21

4,530. Posted:

Konata wrote:

I kinda guessed there would be DEATH.
I'll think about watching it. Again, I probably wont.
As i'm watching other things at the moment
Oreshura
Maid-sama
Clannad-after story
Are taking up my time right now x3.

cool im watching oreshura too! its gonna end soon :(

Mewtwo21

3DS Friend Code: 0645-6093-0849 | Nintendo Network ID: Mewtwo21

AuthorMessage

Mewtwo21

4,531. Posted:

@Sky_Kai
"When you say cute anime/manga do you mean chibi, or that all the characters are just in adorable situations? Or is it the genre?"

i think the cute anime already kinda has a genre. Its "Moe". Examples would be K-On!, Lucky Star , and Tamako Market. Basically whatever Kyoto animation does now adays

Mewtwo21

3DS Friend Code: 0645-6093-0849 | Nintendo Network ID: Mewtwo21

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,532. Posted:

@Mewtwo21
There's so much anime to watch, it's kinda hard to wade through it all.

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,533. Posted:

Death Note Opening 2 (Amazing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGQAjAjsZNo

AuthorMessage

RR529

4,534. Posted:

I just realized that IGN doesn't cover Toonami. Given the other TV shows/blocks they cover (a lot of superhero & Star Wars stuff, mostly), I'm kind of suprised they don't mention it from time to time.

It was huge in it's day, it's audience can't be too far off from IGN's (based off of what they do cover), so a revival that seems to be gaining steam as it goes on seems to be something they should at least notice.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

Rocko52

4,535. Posted:

@RR529
Interesting point, Toonami does seem up their alley.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,536. Posted:

IGN doesn't talk about anime anymore last I checked. Not since the Anime section tanked back in 2007.

I just watched the first episode of Toriko...and I have to say, compared to the manga chapter this episode was based on, I'm pretty disappointed. They condensed it a little too much, to the point where they sacrificed some incredibly awesome jokes (i.e. Toriko lighting a branch on fire with his fingers...and then smoking it!) all for the sake of exposition that wasn't told quite as effectively. In their defense, though, the chapter in question was 2-3 times as long as a normal chapter, so there was a lot to tell, and they couldn't make it a two-parter. It was also still very entertaining. Seeing all the crazy action in motion was indeed spectacular, and I still love the looks of the monsters, and of course, the food they wind up as. I should also mention that I watched it dubbed, and the voice acting was great. Toriko's voice actor seems to do a lot of the tough guys in anime, and he really fits as Toriko in my opinion.

And I watched two more episodes of Fairy Tail yesterday. While it's definitely trying more than it was before, it's still not coming off as anything more than mild entertainment. Most of the jokes still don't work, there's still no long-term goal, and the little stories are still uninteresting. There's finally some character development, but it's poorly excecuted...the only thing I really like are the fights since they're unpredictable, but that's mostly due to them having powers with no reasonable limits at this point, resulting in battles that are heavily flash-over-substance, Latter-half-of-DBZ style - Visually interesting, but not engaging for the viewer. I was only watching it again because I was bored, but it didn't quite help in that regard.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Shy_Kai

4,537. Posted:

@CanisWolfred

I've never watched Fairytail but I've read most of the manga. I've stopped reading it for the moment because I honestly couldn't take the manga seriously. The heavy use of fanservice is borderline ridiculous! I do however love the magical aspect. It's better than Hiro Mashima's previous work. In comparison, Fairytail is 100x better than Rave Master.

Shy_Kai

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,538. Posted:

I'm actually liking Rave Master way more. Sure, Rave Master was forgettable, but at least it had ambition. It had a premise and a desire to last. Fairy Tail to stop at the end of almost any arc I've encountered so far, and really wouldn't matter. It's not like they set up a lot of stuff that would go unresolved. It just feels like a side project that got popular, so now the writer is forced to flesh it out. Not like something that has a lot of heart and passion put into it like a lot of other good shounen anime. And if the creator isn't passionate about it, I find it hard to become passionate about it as well.

Anyways, I ended up buying the first volume of Toriko. I look forward to reading it soon.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

V8_Ninja

4,539. Posted:

Alright, I'm sold; Blast of Tempest is quite awesome. The first season was sub-par, but everything in the second season is cool, awesome, or just weird enough for me to like.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

4,540. Posted:

Funny, I keep hearing the opposite - The first season was great, but the second season has been sub-par. But I guess I'll find out for myself once I finally get around to watching it.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~