Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 4,741 to 4,760 of 9,620

ramstrong

slayer wrote:

Alright. I will definitely have SOME bugs around, and I think the reason nobody listens is because they've come a long way to code the whole game and the last thing they want to do is delete it and start over.
EDIT: And wait a minute, you boycott Ubisoft? But what about Assassin's Creed...oh, whatever.

Never played AC. Or any games after GBA. I think Need for Speed GBA is the last game I got from them. Every time I got excited in playing a game, my excitement fades upon learning it's a Ubisoft game, and I always put the game back to the shelf.

You are absolutely correct in the reason why people don't want to throw away code. What people missed is that they're supposed to learn how to write code after such struggle, and if starting over is not much easier and quicker, then they probably didn't learn anything. Whenever I finished writing a program, I always ask myself how much faster would it be if I have to do everything from scratch again. If the answer is "not much", then I consider the program unfinished, and will keep polishing it.

That's why, when you see my code, the structure is usually clear and simple. That's not by accident. I've been honing that style for years. It's the same with everybody. The smoothness and ease of work is the result of endless toils, labor, sweat and blood. It takes a long time for me to get where I am today, and so, whenever possible, I tell everybody to not take that short cut. Don't accept lower standards, because if you work hard enough, you will get there eventually. It really doesn't matter how stupid I am. If I do something for 20 years, I'd get good at it.

The implication of that is, if you try to write good code, you'll become a good coder eventually. If you always make excuses, then you won't be a good coder. You'll be someone with a lot of excuses.

Personal note: I've been saying that I'll write Virtual Keyboard program next. And in truth, I did. It's working fine. But I'm restarting over because I don't think the current version is simple enough. Don't get me wrong. The current version is good enough for use, and I'll probably use a simplified version of it for future project. But it's not simple enough for people to learn from it, and so I'm throwing it out and will start a new one from scratch.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

ramstrong

PetitProfessor wrote:

Im finiiiiish with my website well time to erase my account

Link to website? I'll believe it when I see it.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

boot

how do I post a link

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

Hairmanban19

PetitProfessor wrote:

At least tell us the name of the website. If you say your not a troller then why act like this?

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

damolii

PetitProfessor wrote:

Didn't you say that before??? .......

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

InsertPi

My C interpreter is coming along as planned. So far I have:

• 500 lines to program freely. I will add more as I go along
  • 100 free defined-by-you variables. I will add more is a go as well
  • 6 recognizable commands (#include, comments, int, for, printf, and scanf)
  • 2 "complete" commands (#include, printf (readable and executable))
  • An easy-to-use interface
    I will release a first version in a couple weeks (or once programs with reasonable commands are executable). It will not have all the stuff the real C has, such as multiple routines running simultaneously, or 3d graphics. I will briefly explain how programs will be executable.
    When you enter a line of C, it stores it in an array called LINE$. This is the raw code, untampered with. It gets inspected, and the data for the line is stored in an array called LINEDATA$. The data is shown as below:
    <execution ID><data>
    The execution ID tells the program what to do with the data. The data stores the info for the command. For example, if LINE$ was
printf("Hello!");

then LINEDATA$ would be

3Hello!

3 is the execution ID for printf. Hello! is the data for the command. This is all done whilst you are writing. When execution time comes, it just reads LINEDATA$ and executes it. Hope this isn't too confusing! One more thing to note. Where you use " in C, you will have to use ' in this. This is due to the fact that I can't do something like this:

IF PD$==""" THEN...

in the coding. So be sure to not use "s! Thx! (Oh btw where can I get a good C compiler and a good Lolcode interpreter (if you don't know what that is, check it out!!!)? And also, I will continue Minecraft DS in a couple weeks.)

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Slayer

ramstrong wrote:

slayer wrote:

Alright. I will definitely have SOME bugs around, and I think the reason nobody listens is because they've come a long way to code the whole game and the last thing they want to do is delete it and start over.
EDIT: And wait a minute, you boycott Ubisoft? But what about Assassin's Creed...oh, whatever.

Never played AC. Or any games after GBA. I think Need for Speed GBA is the last game I got from them. Every time I got excited in playing a game, my excitement fades upon learning it's a Ubisoft game, and I always put the game back to the shelf.

You are absolutely correct in the reason why people don't want to throw away code. What people missed is that they're supposed to learn how to write code after such struggle, and if starting over is not much easier and quicker, then they probably didn't learn anything. Whenever I finished writing a program, I always ask myself how much faster would it be if I have to do everything from scratch again. If the answer is "not much", then I consider the program unfinished, and will keep polishing it.

That's why, when you see my code, the structure is usually clear and simple. That's not by accident. I've been honing that style for years. It's the same with everybody. The smoothness and ease of work is the result of endless toils, labor, sweat and blood. It takes a long time for me to get where I am today, and so, whenever possible, I tell everybody to not take that short cut. Don't accept lower standards, because if you work hard enough, you will get there eventually. It really doesn't matter how stupid I am. If I do something for 20 years, I'd get good at it.

The implication of that is, if you try to write good code, you'll become a good coder eventually. If you always make excuses, then you won't be a good coder. You'll be someone with a lot of excuses.

Personal note: I've been saying that I'll write Virtual Keyboard program next. And in truth, I did. It's working fine. But I'm restarting over because I don't think the current version is simple enough. Don't get me wrong. The current version is good enough for use, and I'll probably use a simplified version of it for future project. But it's not simple enough for people to learn from it, and so I'm throwing it out and will start a new one from scratch.

Assassin's Creed is EXTREMELY fun on consoles because on consoles, it's a sandbox! It's abbreviation is often confused with Animal Crossing because they both have two words one beginning with A and the other C. I confused the two games at first, thinking they were making Assassin's Creed: New Leaf for the 3DS. XD
And yes, that makes sense. We can make examples from that to the fact that either Petit Professor's CoD game is either a real project that has some comparison to the Halo DS project that was released, or it could be a big excuse. All we have to do is find this guy's website or he'll give it to us. Let's find out one of the biggest mysteries here. He might be a bad troll trying to get attention, or a real coder with an actual game that he can be proud of.
Personally, I think the game is a troll. There are two types of trolls, one trolls hackers, exploiters, or people that try glitches. Sometimes normal trolls troll people and make them ragequit or just plain rage and either post it on YouTube or treasure the memory. Bad trolls turn and troll random people to get attention and be well-known at online locations like this. Well-known in a bad way, but still well-known.
Well, that was an example of a possible excuse, but anyway, I do want to note that maybe games that aren't under too much progress wouldn't be much of a loss to refresh, because if the programmer didn't put as much effort into that as a big project, the programmer wouldn't very much seem to care that a small portion of a game will be deleted. I wouldn't mind starting Apocalypse Rising back again because I only have a menu form and the name array done. If people had much more, they would become protective of the program and refuse to destroy a hard-worked on project like most people have been working on.
I'm kind of saying the same thing with new words but that's me...

Edited on by Slayer

I have nothing really to say about myself.

Slayer

PetitProfessor wrote:

I've been waiting to see this CoD game of yours. You delayed it for so long after it was done that nobody believes you. If this project is real, give us your website so before you go we all can find your game and see it or find the troll.

Slayer

Anyone heard of DarkShift? If not check the GameFAQs and take a look at Kyubikenhonoh's plans. I haven't looked on the wiki about it, I don't know if he even posted it on the wiki. I'll copy and paste the leaked info on it:
SO in a nutshel my project is a dark fantasy rpg, where during the day you are at shcool as a highschool student, and at night you wander the ShadowHarte a parrallel world filled with dangerous monsters known as lost ones(for the average monsters) and The forbidden(the 'Mistakes of god' when they were created.) The forbidden are major bosses and you cannot one shot them, you drive them off until eventually during your game play you kill them, then you don't see them anymore.they also leave a powerfull artifact with an ability that they once had before you killed them.

the role you play is a high school student who had been the possessor of the Dark Soul known as Oborron, in effect your soul is that of a darklord there aren't many of such souls, and your power over transient souls is not as benevolent as people assume, you resurrect the soul into a twisted vessel twisted by the ShadowHarte in your domain. you can riencarnate your faithful minions with transient souls.your closest friend is the gigantic lantern carrying Luku the Reaper. Luku is your shop your bank, your forge and your Soul Melder.

Now given to how your character is discovering about his or her past, Luku will be there for you giving you advice when your stumped.If you tire of battle but do not want to wake up then you can go to your domain. this is your world, and bit by bit you build more of it and upgrade it. of course with the help of Luku and Adam.
THIS ISN'T MY WRITING! I WOULDN'T MAKE AS MANY SPELLING ERRORS!
It drives me crazy in the first paragraph that he spells nutshell as nutshel, but for some reason I'm not going to edit that out.

Slayer

Morphtorok wrote:

PetitProfessor wrote:

@theblackdragon, I think this kid needs your help with this!

Wasn't @theblackdragon supposed to be one of the ones from the First Coders?
Sorry, let me explain how I see this. There are generations of the programmers depending on how many people become inactive on the threads for Petit Computer. All of us are the Second Coders, because the First became inactive and we joined and we still post here. Simple. We have one of the First Coders among us though... Let's handle this Ace Attorney style.
I call all attention to @Morphtorok!!!
Morphtorok, I think was known as Morphtroid then, correct? You posted the second comment on this forum, and you can see that if you click on the first page. Look below @TheDreamingHawk's comment and we see... Morphtorok.
Actually we might be the Third Coders if there already were people active when the First went inactive. I'm not sure, I have to backtrack.
EDIT: We MIGHT be the Third...I saw lots of different people except for @Morphtorok and @theblackdragon. Should I count that?

Edited on by Slayer

Slayer

Well, look at this:
@PetitProfessor
He was banned!!!
He was a troll all along, the game wasn't really created, I even noticed he programmed it really quickly. Too quickly for an attempt at CoD. We that suspected the troll were correct.

noxuss

I've been searching for a tutorial on various places, yet I still do not know how to create multiple objects using the same sprite. Like, if I wanted a ton of bad guys (who are all identical) surely I wouldn't have to write code for every single one. i'm guesing it has to do with arrays, but those still confuse me :/

noxuss

Hairmanban19

slayer wrote:

Well, look at this:
@PetitProfessor
He was banned!!!
He was a troll all along, the game wasn't really created, I even noticed he programmed it really quickly. Too quickly for an attempt at CoD. We that suspected the troll were correct.

(Sigh) That was our third troller!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

swordx

@Slayer ermmm I kinda joined around page 35-ish...Hairmanvan has been here...BTW, what happened to Grabsomeeyes?

swordx

Eel

TheBlackDragon is an administrator in this site. She helped PetitProfessor banning himself, or "deleting his account" as he would say

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

InsertPi

Anyone else know about LINPUT? It's the same as INPUT, but without the "?" tagged along. VERY useful.

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Gimmemorecoinz

noxuss wrote:

I've been searching for a tutorial on various places, yet I still do not know how to create multiple objects using the same sprite. Like, if I wanted a ton of bad guys (who are all identical) surely I wouldn't have to write code for every single one. i'm guesing it has to do with arrays, but those still confuse me :/

This is a complex topic.. if you just want them displayed graphicaly no. if you want them all moving around and whatnot. yes.
You would need to write code for every single one. but if you used an array to store their X and Y and a for loop to tel them to move
and if you used something like this

For sprite=1 to 10
spset sprite, 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0
next sprite
'it would set them

you can learn more from the petit computer guide on SPRITE and sprites

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Anonymous_Ninja

I was on a little ways into the forums and learned basic through the forums, but i never really got involved and just stalked it. Someone gave the idea for a kirby based game called "Rooted to the Ground" and i programed it completely except for a bit of the tutorial, but i was too lazy to post it xD. i guess that would make you guys 3rd generation then, except for @morphtriod and @ramstrong that is.
EDIT: guess its @morphtorok now, its just not the same without that fancy metriod

Edited on by Anonymous_Ninja

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic