Forums

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 761 to 780 of 782

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter: Thanks for your input. From what I'm finding, overall it isn't a bad game. Many just seem to think that it's disappointing when compared to the first two games.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Cynas

@Tyranexx I think Dark Dawn is a bit underrated. It's certainly the worst of the 3 games, but the core gameplay is almost exactly the same. I think the lackluster story and over abundance of dialogue is the main issue with the game, but if you enjoy the gameplay of the first games you'll probably get some enjoyment out of Dark Dawn.

Many people seem to act as though it's an abomination that shouldn't exist, which I don't agree with.

Edited on by Cynas

Cynas

Switch Friend Code: SW-5466-6715-6498

kkslider5552000

That's a way too common a problem on the internet. It's not as good as the previous games SO IT MUST BE TERRIBLE11!1!!1! I played it, I enjoyed it. It's not the first two games, but that's not too surprising in hindsight since I think Golden Sun 1 and 2 are two of the greatest turned based JRPGs ever made.

Same with most disliked Nintendo sequels tbh. Shut up Skyward Sword haters, play an actual bad (or even mediocre) game before you pretend to know what you're talking about.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Tyranexx

@Cynas, @kkslider5552000: Your comments seem to more or less reinforce the mental direction I'm going towards in regards to Dark Dawn and what I'm finding elsewhere. It seems like a decent game, just maybe a little lackluster when compared to the other two. I'm willing to give it a chance at any rate.

Thanks for your input!

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Same with most disliked Nintendo sequels tbh. Shut up Skyward Sword haters, play an actual bad (or even mediocre) game before you pretend to know what you're talking about.

I 100% agree with this. Skyward Sword isn't my favorite Zelda game, but I would rank it above some of the other games in the series. It's by no means perfect, but there's quite a lot to love about it. I understand some of the complaints, but IMO many of them are overblown.

Tyranexx

I do know that the first two games are occasionally called out for having a windy cast. I don't recall that ever really bothering me through my Golden Sun playthrough. For all I know, The Lost Age is even windier, but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Tyranexx

@ReaderRagfish: Windy = long-winded, talkative, chatty, as I'm sure you've surmised. As for The Lost Age, I already have it sitting on my Wii U's internal memory....I just haven't gotten around to playing it yet. I'm hoping to start it after finishing Color Splash....I've been pushing 3DS games a little more lately, so that will probably be finished around the end of the month.

Anti-Matter

Lately, i have some interest with Pokemon White 2 & Pokemon Soul Silver.
Do you think both of them are good games for my NDS games collection ?
I heard something about Pokemon Gen 5 (Black / White) about catching previous Pokemons :
"Setting itself in a region where Pokémon from previous generations could not be caught."
What was that means ?

Anti-Matter

Eel

I personally think Black/White 2 is better balanced/polished overall. It also features older pokemon, unlike the original Black/White, which featured only (then) new Pokemon until you beat the game.

The gold and silver remakes did some things to fix the balancing issues the originals had, but it's still pretty noticeable. It's still a nice nostalgic trip though.

However, Soul Silver should give you a bit more post game with the battle frontier, if that's your kinda thing (I've personally never actually bothered with it, since, again, it's hard to train a good team in those games).

White 2 also has a good amount of post game content though.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Animage

The 10 or so Used game shops around me are completely devoid of all DS games now. Honestly at this point, I'm just looking for 10 or so games, but seem so expensive now to find. I regret passing back in the day on gathering DS games.

3DS Friend Code: (n3DS XL - Main) 2681 - 3470 - 9196
Currently Playing: Super Mario 3D Land | Metroid: Samus Returns
Recently Beaten: Detective Pikachu

pokemonfan22

Oh god. Oh god. Newbie Pokemon Ranger (me) started playing Guardian Signs-- and I was researching up Mystery Dungeon and all the ones in the DS (i dont play the main series games)

And I'm like Pokemon Spinoff games are so cool! For the DS ones can someone reply to this message to tell me which is the best Pokemon spinoff games (DS)
Thank you

pokemonfan22

pokemonfan22

@Eel I don't play the Pokemon main series games and play the Pokemon spinoff games. Mostly because I SUCK at battling, spinoff games have more plot and I have low vision which means low graphics and theres more spinoff games, also I run on the emulator (DeSmuMe) and my stupid storage cant take that much space. I was gonna get Black and White in DS, but focusing more on spinoff games (mostly Ranger and Mystery Dungeon)

pokemonfan22

Agent_P

I recommend Newer Super Mario Bros. DS to anyone here. If you loved New Super Mario Bros., you'll love Newer. https://newerteam.com/ds

Agent_P

Kayloo

Hey any one still play Mario. And donkey Kong minis march again cus I do if your ds is online here my code 047846497181 name Tuck

Kayloo

3DS Friend Code: 1719-3434-1690 | My Nintendo: ProGamer09

Trollectric

I'm looking for weird titles to play.

Not sure how do describe what I'm looking for except for "Fever Dream"

I just bought WarioWare: Gold and Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland and they should be in soon, but I'm wondering if there are any other games like these that are just....so...out there.

Trollectric

Fizza

Hey everyone!

With the announcement of Professor Layton and the New World of Steam in the latest Direct, I've been more interested than ever in finally starting the series for the very first time as someone who's fallen head over heels for his pseudo counterpart in Phoenix Wright and, as a result, I've been wondering which order I should play the games in order to fully appreciate the series!

A couple of things I know already:

• I want to play Curious Village (aka the first one) before any others in order to get myself acquainted with the series' style and gameplay.
  • I've heard the current Switch entry (Katrielle I think it's called?) is an entirely separate story set many, MANY years after the events of the original series so I might avoid that one for a while.
  • I'm unsure on the order of the later games of the series post-Curious Village (particularly the 3DS entries) so help on that would be nice!

So yeah: I'd basically like to know what order you'd recommend playing these immensely charming games in in order to get the full Layton experience. Thank you for reading and I hope you don't mind answering if you're familiar with the topic! (oh, and no spoilers please )
Untitled

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Vampire Survivors (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

jump

@Fizza Order of release it best imo. I'm not sure about Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright though as I've got it but have yet to play it so I don't know when it fits in the canon.

If possible get an American or Aussie version of Spectre's Call as the European version had London Life cut from the game which is a massive loss from the game.

Layton's Mystery Journey/Katrielle/Switch one is very skippable, it's ridiculously easy so it's more like chore to complete rather than a puzzle to solve.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Dogorilla

@Fizza I'd also say release order is best. The 4th-6th games are set before the first three but I'd still recommend starting with the original trilogy as there are a few QoL improvements in each game, so playing them in in-universe chronological order might feel a bit jarring as you'd be going from the sixth game to the first. Plus you'll probably appreciate the backstory stuff a bit more if you start with the originals.

The Phoenix Wright crossover has no story connection to the main games in either series, so you can play that any time. If you have access to a 3DS currently you may want to buy it on the eShop while you still can, physical copies are quite pricey now. As for Layton's Mystery Journey (Katrielle's game) I'm not as down on it as many people are, I do think it's worth playing if you really like the series, but it is a bit too easy and the storyline isn't great so leave that one until you've played the main games.

Hope you enjoy the series, it's one of my favourites

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Tyranexx

Dogorilla wrote:

@Fizza I'd also say release order is best. The 4th-6th games are set before the first three but I'd still recommend starting with the original trilogy as there are a few QoL improvements in each game, so playing them in in-universe chronological order might feel a bit jarring as you'd be going from the sixth game to the first. Plus you'll probably appreciate the backstory stuff a bit more if you start with the originals.

This would pretty much be my answer. I've not played Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy or Layton vs. Wright, but the former does appear to take place long after the other games. The latter is supposedly very good but ultimately has no bearing on either series's continuity.

As for buying the games, the DS Layton titles are relatively easy to find secondhand, though non-EU copies of Last Specter/Spectre's Call have a markup due to Layton's London Life. I opted to live without the latter and own a UK copy of the game. I didn't have may problems tracking down Miracle Mask physical. I found the physical version of Azran Legacy to be as rare as Layton vs. Wright on this side of the pond and opted to finally buy it on the eShop.

Layton is a very good series. If you like puzzle games and mysteries with some zaniness and plenty of charm thrown in, you'll enjoy it.

Edited on by Tyranexx

KnightofNi_

Robocalypse

Just found this game at the local shop. Best stylus based RTS on the whole family of systems imo. 20+ unit count per side, skirmish mode, achievements, cutscenes, multiplayer. Kind of like a cross between Warcraft and Z Steel Soldiers. Great retro feel. If anyone needs their RTS on the go fix, give it a look.

Game over man!

N2dsXL FC: 4184-8977-2824
Switch FC: 1802-8430-4624

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic