DSi / DS Forum

Topic: DS Recommendations Thread

Showing 741 to 760 of 763

AuthorMessage
Tops

Tops

741. Posted:

If I've played Rune Factory 4 and then decide to get the earlier ones will they feel archaic and dated in comparison? Sort of like starting with a new Pokémon and then trying to play the originals (even if the difference isn't as large)?

Tops

AuthorMessage
Thanks4Tip

Thanks4Tip

742. Posted:

Hey guys! I just found out about this game recommendation thread, so I'm just gonna go ahead and post my thread description in here. I'm looking for a game that is engrossing like Pokemon; something you can dump hours and hours into, and something with a lot of replay value. Something that you get attached to and lose yourself in the world of the game. Like Pokemon! Basically I'm looking for an engrossing game that I can really feel involved in, with a lot of replay value. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Edited on by Thanks4Tip

Thanks4Tip

AuthorMessage
CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred

743. Posted:

Everything Dragon Quest is a good start. IV, V, VI, IX, they're all good choices. Rune Factory 3 can also be heavily engrossing from my experience.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Tasuki

Tasuki

744. Posted:

@Thanks4Tip: I always found the Harvest Moon games pretty engrossing. There are a few of those on the DS.

Edited on by Tasuki

Push Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
MorpheelStaff

Morpheel

745. Posted:

I totally forgot Harvest Moon. Most are great

I recommend Harvest Moon Sunshine Islands and Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage
Thanks4Tip

Thanks4Tip

746. Posted:

I see, I see... Do those games have the replay value that Pokemon has? Like in Pokemon you can breed, trade, battle, collect, explore, compete in contests, and of course there's EV and IV training and competitive battling/team composition, which brings in a whole new world of replay value. Do the games suggested above have those qualities? I feel like games that do are hard to come by, but when I find one I can lose myself in it for hours.

Thanks4Tip

AuthorMessage
CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred

747. Posted:

Yes. Especially Rune Factory, which is Harvest moon with even more things to do. Oh, and I also forgot to mention Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2. Wich is a blatant Pokemon clone, but with Dragon Quest.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Thanks4Tip

Thanks4Tip

748. Posted:

Wow, okay, lots of games to add to my list. So if you could pick ONE game out of the recommendations for me to pick up according to my descriptions from the suggestions above, which would it be? Something with the engrossing, varied replay value found in Pokemon.

Edit. Thanks so much for all the help and suggestions!

Second Edit How is the replay value of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games?

Edited on by Thanks4Tip

Thanks4Tip

AuthorMessage
zool

zool

749. Posted:

Shin Megami Tensei IV or Bravley Default. Or is there a better RPG?
Any suggestions please.

zool

AuthorMessage
Thanks4Tip

Thanks4Tip

750. Posted:

Hey all! Popping back in to ask about the replay value/post game content of a couple DS games. Thanks! The games are:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Disgaea DS
Any information you all can provide about post game content, replay value, etc. would be extremely helpful!

Thanks4Tip

AuthorMessage
CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred

751. Posted:

Thanks4Tip wrote:

Hey all! Popping back in to ask about the replay value/post game content of a couple DS games. Thanks! The games are:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Disgaea DS
Any information you all can provide about post game content, replay value, etc. would be extremely helpful!

Sorry it's late. I thought you were listing the 5 games required for surviving on a desert island for the rest of your life.

...seriously, Disgaea never ends, Devil Survivor is a 100 hour game, both Dragon Quests are monsters in terms of content...Rocket Slime is only about 10 hours, but you could easily double or triple that time getting all the collectables (including the Gold statues).

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Revanmann

Revanmann

752. Posted:

Anyone know where to pick up Dragon Quest 4-6 DS new. Amazon is waaay over priced for 4. $60.. I'm planning on re-buying IX, which is the only one I played. I want ot play the other.

Currently Playing:
Majora's Mask 3D-New 3DS XL
Animal Crossing
Most favorite video game of all time: Super Metroid
Favorite Quote- "There are brave men at our door,...Let's go kill them!" Tyrion Lannister

AuthorMessage
CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred

753. Posted:

Revanmann wrote:

Anyone know where to pick up Dragon Quest 4-6 DS new. Amazon is waaay over priced for 4. $60.. I'm planning on re-buying IX, which is the only one I played. I want ot play the other.

Only if you time travel to 2011 and buy them when they were still in print. Now you'll have to overpay for them unless you get the mobile versions...which are pretty steep for mobile games, actually...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

AuthorMessage
wheatorules

wheatorules

754. Posted:

Hi all. I was wondering whether I could get some game recommendations for my fiancee. She likes puzzle games such as the Professor Layton series (which she's completed all of) and Doctor Lautrec, and she thinks May's Mysteries is OK. She doesn't like the Phoenix Wright series though. She's after a good puzzle game like Layton or Lautrec. So, any ideas which puzzle game I could get her next?

She would also like a good platformer. Something like New Super Mario Bros, as she really enjoyed that game.

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestions.

wheatorules

AuthorMessage
Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad

755. Posted:

@wheatorules Henry hatsworth in the puzzling adventure (a match 3 puzzle game combined with an action platformer) or monster tale (minor pet-sim crossed with an metroid-vania style action platformer)are two that I can think of.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
[url=http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/09/esa-says-preserving-old-games-is-ille...

Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage
wheatorules

wheatorules

756. Posted:

Captain_Toad wrote:

@wheatorules Henry hatsworth in the puzzling adventure (a match 3 puzzle game combined with an action platformer) or monster tale (minor pet-sim crossed with an metroid-vania style action platformer)are two that I can think of.

Thanks for your response. I'll look into those games and see what she thinks. She's rather picky when it comes to games.

Have any of you played Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House?

wheatorules

AuthorMessage
Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad

757. Posted:

wheatorules wrote:

Captain_Toad wrote:

Thanks for your response. I'll look into those games and see what she thinks. She's rather picky when it comes to games.

Have any of you played Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House?

I have not played that game, sorry.

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack.....it's important.
Toadloggery and a Youtube Channel
[url=http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/09/esa-says-preserving-old-games-is-ille...

Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

AuthorMessage
AlexAndAHalf

AlexAndAHalf

758. Posted:

Hey there. Going on a trip and looking for a good RPG for my old DS Lite. Not looking for Zelda or Pokemon at the moment

I'll give some specifics of what I'm kind of craving, but I'm open to all RPG suggestions!

Ideally some kind of dungeon crawler with action combat. When I say action combat, I mean anything in which I'm swinging a sword or casting spells at things around me which are simultaneously fighting back. Preferably nothing turn-based.

Anyone?

AlexAndAHalf

AuthorMessage
nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken

759. Posted:

AlexAndAHalf wrote:

Hey there. Going on a trip and looking for a good RPG for my old DS Lite. Not looking for Zelda or Pokemon at the moment

I'll give some specifics of what I'm kind of craving, but I'm open to all RPG suggestions!

Ideally some kind of dungeon crawler with action combat. When I say action combat, I mean anything in which I'm swinging a sword or casting spells at things around me which are simultaneously fighting back. Preferably nothing turn-based.

Anyone?

The World Ends With You.

Bar none, this will be the most suggested title to you, and I honestly can't think of a better game for the DS. It's an action RPG with a wildly unique aesthetic and excellent story and character progression. Not really a dungeon crawl, but you're going to find a lot to love as far as action goes. You have two party members, and gameplay is separated between the two screens. You fight the same enemies, but on a different plane of existence. Both party members share a HP meter, and enemies share HP across screens. Comboing attacks between your partner and yourself will lead to serious damage boosts, and is a real focus in combat.

I haven't talked about the story much because there's spoilers abound and it's a great game to experience fresh. It's very Japanese, but it doesn't feel "anime". It's more "hip" than anything. If you loved the setting of, say, Jet Set Radio, I'm pretty sure you'll love The World Ends With You.

Streaming Game Development on Twitch!
~6:30 - 10:00 PM CST, Tuesday - Friday
http://twitch.tv/nacho_gamedev

Twitter:

AuthorMessage
AlexAndAHalf

AlexAndAHalf

760. Posted:

It looks awesome! Killer reviews, too. My local game shop doesn't seem to have it so I might have to turn to Amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.

AlexAndAHalf