Forums

Topic: New VC games in Japan

Posts 541 to 560 of 747

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred wrote:

Tsuchinoko wrote:

The next normal update will be Metal Max for the Famicom

You lucky sons of guns. I love that game. Too bad it'll never be available in English.

Actually, that's for the 3DS VC. You guys have had the entire series on Wii VC for quite some time now. Interesting. As always, I'm jealous of the games Japanese gamers get to play.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tsuchinoko

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

But if it's the same as KPL (3 Stages, 4 bosses, 3 screens per stage), Why release it? They never released both Doki doki panic AND SMUSA on the VC

Doki Doki Panic has never been re-released in any form since its original release way back on the Famicom. That's why even now, younger generations of Japanese kids are more likely to know SMUSA more than Doki Doki Panic.

3DS FC - 1547-6126-3842 Largate de mi casa!!
Mother 3 fan. It's an amazing game. 糸井さん、こんな素敵なゲームを作ってくれてありがとう!

CrazyOtto

Tsuchinoko wrote:

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

But if it's the same as KPL (3 Stages, 4 bosses, 3 screens per stage), Why release it? They never released both Doki doki panic AND SMUSA on the VC

Doki Doki Panic has never been re-released in any form since its original release way back on the Famicom. That's why even now, younger generations of Japanese kids are more likely to know SMUSA more than Doki Doki Panic.

I thought Doki Doki Panic was a licensed game.

Edited on by CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0465-7453 | Nintendo Network ID: MrSRArter

SparkOfSpirit

I don't think Doki Doki Panic even had a run button.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

KingMike

Yes, the player characters in DDP were mascots from a Japanese TV channel. I think everything else in the game was Nintendo's original creation, which is why they can re-release the Mario version as much as they want.
(the other major difference is that in DDP, each character had to finish every world on their own. You could switch characters after each world, but if you reach world 2 with a character, you can't just send another character to world 2 unless they reached it as well.
Though that won't matter much now if you get a used copy of DDP, since I don't know if there's a way to reset the save data on the disk, if someone else already unlocked the whole game.)

I guess it's the same reason we won't see Nintendo's Popeye game, even though it sounds like it was pretty popular in the '80s. (and we probably wouldn't have seen Donkey Kong if Miyamoto got to make it a Popeye game like he wanted) Maybe then they decided they would generally avoid licenses?

Revenge of the Gator was a different game released like three years before Kirby's Pinball Land.

Edited on by KingMike

KingMike

Tsuchinoko

KingMike wrote:

Yes, the player characters in DDP were mascots from a Japanese TV channel. I think everything else in the game was Nintendo's original creation, which is why they can re-release the Mario version as much as they want.
(the other major difference is that in DDP, each character had to finish every world on their own. You could switch characters after each world, but if you reach world 2 with a character, you can't just send another character to world 2 unless they reached it as well.
Though that won't matter much now if you get a used copy of DDP, since I don't know if there's a way to reset the save data on the disk, if someone else already unlocked the whole game.)

I guess it's the same reason we won't see Nintendo's Popeye game, even though it sounds like it was pretty popular in the '80s. (and we probably wouldn't have seen Donkey Kong if Miyamoto got to make it a Popeye game like he wanted) Maybe then they decided they would generally avoid licenses?

Revenge of the Gator was a different game released like three years before Kirby's Pinball Land.

Actually, it goes further than that. Let me tell you a story.

In 1987 there was a carnival event in Japan created by Fuji Television called the 夢工場 (yume koujou - The Dream Factory). The full name of the event was コミュニケーションカーニバル夢工場’87 (Communication Carnival Yume Koujou '87). These types of big events were common in Japan, and took place as recently as 2008. This specific event was huge though, and to celebrate it, Fuji Television decided to create a lot of special products to coincide with the festival. These included a band called Yume Koujou (That lasted until 1992), an idol pop group called Idol Yume Koujou, a live concert featuring these two acts and also including several famous bands and singers from that time, as well as many TV specials.

These festivals took place in two huge areas, one in Tokyo and one in Osaka (this was during the peak of the 1980's bubble economy).

To top it off, a series of character mascots were created for this series of festivals, which features a family of four in an Arabian-type setting battling monsters. Just like the guests of the festival, this family of four found themselves caught in a magical dream world. As one last bit of icing on the cake of this whole thing, Nintendo decided to create a special game featuring these festival mascots, created by none other than Shigeru Miyamoto and his team of developers. The game itself was a modest hit, but at the time was meant to be nothing more than a tie-in for the Fuji Television festival. Of course, when Miyamoto's own Super Mario 2 was rejected by NoA for being too difficult and similar to the original Super Mario, it was an easy decision to remove all of the Yume Koujou mascots (since they were owned by Fuji TV) and replace them with Mario characters, essentially making it completely his own creation that Nintendo could produce and market however they wanted.

As these mascots are still the (long unused) property of Fuji TV, Yume Koujou the game has never seen re-release in any territory (including the Wii VC), and as a result even in its home country of Japan, it is quite common for people to look at Wart/Mamu and the settings of Yume Koujou and associate them with Mario, rather than Papa, Mama, Imajin and Rina, the original cast of the game.

This is why now, in 2012, we still don't see Yume Koujou Dokidoki panic on the VC.

I did find this for you all to enjoy.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-Vega/1971/banpaku/dream87...

Now don't say I never gave you anything

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

TheDreamingHawk

Well, hopefully gator pinball is different and not a reskin like SMUSA (I refuse to call it 2, either advance or USA for me)

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

SparkOfSpirit

Meh, I still prefer it to Lost Levels. SMB2 is such a great platformer.

“A thing may be too sad to be believed or too wicked to be believed or too good to be believed; but it cannot be too absurd to be believed in this planet of frogs and elephants, of crocodiles and cuttle-fish.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Bass_X0

Revenge of the Gator is a different game to Kirby's Pinball Land.

Also, if it exists it should get released. Thats my motto for the VC. The more the merrier whatever games they are.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

TheDreamingHawk

Next week's VC is...

...City connection

A Supporter of Reggie Fils-Aime and Respectful opinions
Pokemon black 2 FC: 1808 0259 1596

3DS Friend Code: 4725-7951-6337 | Nintendo Network ID: TheDreaminHawk

CrazyOtto

TheDreamingHawk wrote:

Next week's VC is...

...City connection

I just looked up too see what their 3DSware was but their not getting any this week.

I hope the NES/Famicom games slow down eventually and they go back to what they were doing last summer (releasing one from every system each week), even though they got Gator Pinball today, the VC's been otherwise only getting NES/Famicom games lately.

EDIT: My optimistic side has a theory that Nintendo's pumping out NES/Famicom games because they're working on giving multiplayer to the Game Boy and GBC VC games before they go back to releasing those alot more, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited on by CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto

Marakuto

On the 4th of January they got Super Mario Bros 3.

Edited on by Marakuto

3DS games:

Mario Kart 7

Zelda OoT 3D

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

Pokemon Black FC: 2666 2484 8599

Kid Icarus Uprising

Heroes of Ruin
and more.

Crime doesn't pay, unless you are really good at it then those who are legal criminals ...

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2450-6702

RR529

They're getting SpeedX 3D for their eShop game this week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Tsuchinoko

Marakuto wrote:

On the 4th of January they got Super Mario Bros 3.

We got it on the 1st

CrazyOtto

Japan's eShop this week:
Speed X 3D [3DSWare]
Bikkuri Nekketsu Shin Kiroku! Harukanaru Kin Medal [FC VC]
(Eng: Crash 'n the Boys: Street Challenge )

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto

Next week, they're getting:
@SIMPLE DL Series Vol. 7: THE Uwaki Kareshi ~Totsugeki! Uwaki Genba~ [3DSWare]
peakvox Myuu Myuu Train [3DSWare]

Madoola no Tsubasa ( The Wing of Madoola) [FC VC]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wing_of_Madoola

Nazo no Minigame [DSiWare]

EDIT: The Wing of Madoola was never on the Wii VC in Japan.

Edited on by CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto

Tsuchinoko

Nobody has put the update up, so I will.

Next week we get the Japanese exclusive Famicom game The Wing of Maduula (マドゥーラの翼), as well as Puyo Puyo for the Game Gear. Nintendo hasn't put it up on the main page, but on the VC games sup-page Puyo Puyo is showing up there.

The e-shop is getting Mew Mew Train (a dash, run for the goal type of game), and another entry in the DL Simple series, #7 - The Cheating Boyfriend.

Also the new Jinguji Saburou game (known as Jake Hunter in the west) is set up as a download game.

EDIT: ahh, you put it up right before me. Nevermind...

I never even heard of The Wing of Maduula, it looks eerily similar to The Adventure of Link

So glad to finally be getting another Game Gear game, though we already have the 3DS anniversary version of Puyo Puyo on the E-shop, as well as a 300 yen mini version.

Edited on by Tsuchinoko

KingMike

I hear Wing of Madoola is another game just asking for savestate abuse.
(it's a side-scroller action game. Supposedly you upgrade by finding hideen items, but is said to be extremely hard.
At least it had a continue code.)

At least when I looked for a copy last year, it seemed to be a bit difficult to find a copy online (only one of several sites I checked had a single copy. Unless I just checked at a bad time. I ended up taking that cart-only for like $15 and shipping). Of course I have no idea about in actual Japanese stores.
I don't know if that is because it at least got a little attention last year when web blog Kotaku webcasted a localized episode of Game Center CX/Retro Game Master featuring the game.

Too bad NA still hasn't gotten a Game Gear game since the launch trio. Not Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo-Puyo (it's said the Japanese game actually has an English translation, never released alone, if you play the Japanese cart on a non-Japanese GG system. Would be cool if Sega released that, but I think it's obvious if they do release it in NA, it will only be the Robotnik version.)

KingMike

Tsuchinoko

KingMike wrote:

I hear Wing of Madoola is another game just asking for savestate abuse.
(it's a side-scroller action game. Supposedly you upgrade by finding hideen items, but is said to be extremely hard.
At least it had a continue code.)

At least when I looked for a copy last year, it seemed to be a bit difficult to find a copy online (only one of several sites I checked had a single copy. Unless I just checked at a bad time. I ended up taking that cart-only for like $15 and shipping). Of course I have no idea about in actual Japanese stores.
I don't know if that is because it at least got a little attention last year when web blog Kotaku webcasted a localized episode of Game Center CX/Retro Game Master featuring the game.

Too bad NA still hasn't gotten a Game Gear game since the launch trio. Not Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Puyo-Puyo (it's said the Japanese game actually has an English translation, never released alone, if you play the Japanese cart on a non-Japanese GG system. Would be cool if Sega released that, but I think it's obvious if they do release it in NA, it will only be the Robotnik version.)

I feel like Puyo Puyo had several releases in the west. Maybe that's just because I'm so used to hearing about these games in conversation or seeing them in person that my memory is a little mixed up.

That's weird that the Japanese cart would do that. I thought the only titles that did that ever were Neo Geo games.

Anyway, we'll see if I have a little extra money lying around at the end of the month I might treat myself to Maduula. I'm not sure what the Romanization for it would be. Its hard to say since that word is really weird to write in Japanese. The "tu" and "du" sounds are very new to the language. It seems like a game that would work as an import game on the VC. No real Japanese in the game and the story is really primitive.

Tsuchinoko

Oh, and you know what, sorry to double post, but this topic is totally different from my last one.

Can I just complain a bit about the new design for the Japanese Nintendo website. It was so much more organized and intuitive before. Now you have weird little things like Puyo Puyo not showing up on the main page, and even when you click the specific console tabs not all the games will show up (ones that comes to mind is G-LOC, which does not show up on the Game Gear games page, but does on the 3DS VC page when you click "All".

My main complaint is that on the VC page, the one bit of information that isn't shown is what system the games belong to. You have to click on their specific pages to find that out. That's harder to do when some games (like Puyo Puyo right now) don't have pages set up right away, so you have to guess their system based on the price, or if they show up on their console-specific pages (if they do show up).

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.