Forums

Topic: How long until the 3ds dies?

Posts 201 to 220 of 396

iLikeUrAttitude

@ReaderRagfish I could see the 3ds still being sold for a few more years actually. Maybe with the production of the 3ds being stopped though being a possibility soon.

Yeah I agree you have an amazing library for a fraction of the price of the Nintendo Switch. Not to say that the Switch isn't worth the money though, but if you're looking for a budget console that will last you a while then the 3ds is a no brainer.

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Toy_Link

If only there was a version of Smash Bros. for the 3DS that didn't require a subscription to NSO...

Just a fool's dream

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Tyranexx

I still expect them to still manufacture 2DS/2DS XL units for a little while as long as there's still some profit to be had. The actual 3DS concept is becoming quite a rarity. Cutting 3D out removes costs on all sides and isn't an essential feature, but it's a nice one with most 3DS games that I've played that use the 3D. For example, Bravely Second's locales, whole already stunning in 2D, really pop out and look more organic in 3D.

It's a shame that most Nintendo games within the last year or so have abandoned the 3D effect.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

iLikeUrAttitude

@PokeNas That joke might've worked if people actually used the 3D when it truth is just seen a gimmick by most people. Most games don't make use of the 3D either.
I'm pretty sure it's obvious why I don't "just get a DS".

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Tyranexx

@iLikeUrAttitude A fair amount of people do, yes. I don't run it at full strength, but after adapting a bit it actually looks quite nice. I highly encourage you to play A Link Between Worlds or Super Mario 3D Land with the 3D running. Those two make some great uses of the effect.

To be fair, some games that have the 3D effect really shouldn't, but those are mostly shovelware or poorly optimized eShop games; I've played little of these but have seen the evidence.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

iLikeUrAttitude

@PokeNas

PokeNas wrote:

@iLikeUrAttitude No, it’s not obvious. Why don’t you just get a DS?

It is pretty obvious actually, but the reasons are being are the vast library of games it has to offer.

PokeNas wrote:

And ‘most’ dont use 3D? The 3DS has more than ten games, you know that right?

WHOA the 3DS has more than 10 games?! I had no idea! 😆
Your lack of reading comprehension is disturbing. I didn't say that most of the games on the 3DS don't have the 3D feature, I said most of the games don't make use of it. Meaning that they don't take full advantage of the feature into their game like Nintendo does, it's just there as a option with no impressive effects.

PokeNas wrote:

I never turn off the 3D. It’s the only thing that brings me back to my 3DS. There’s nothing redeeming besides that feature. It has poor graphics, resolution of a 90s Nokia phone, and one analogue “slider”. It’s begging to be laughed at.

The only thing that brings you back to the 3DS is the gimmick that hurts your eyes? Not the actual games or other software it has to offer?
Yeah I"m pretty sure a 90s Nokia couldn't run Pokemon Sun&Moon... or any games on the 3ds for that matter...
Considering the sales of the 3DS, I'm pretty sure no one is laughing at it, I know I'm laughing at your replies though.

Untitled

Edited on by iLikeUrAttitude

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

1UP_MARIO

I love the 3d feature of the 3ds.
Played luigis mansion 2 100% with 3d slider on. Super Mario 3d land. Mario kart 7. Smash 3ds make good use of it too.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

iLikeUrAttitude

@Tyranexx Well for me personally I don't like the look of the 3D effect and it kinda hurts my eyes. But then again it might be because of the fact that I may not own any games that actually take advantage of the feature. I unfortunately don't own A Link Between Worlds or Super Mario 3D Land, are there any other games that make use of the 3D feature?

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

iLikeUrAttitude

@1UP_MARIO Huh I have Mario Kart 7 and Smash 3DS maybe i should try observing the 3D when I get another 3DS. How does the 3D work for a fast paced fighting game like Smash?

Good... good
Now play Dragon Quest

Tyranexx

@iLikeUrAttitude Plenty do, though some of the most recent games do not. Out of my collection, the highlights that I haven't already mentioned are:

Any 3DS Fire Emblem game: a lot of the maps look like genuine popup books on the screen. Some of the rendered cutscenes look nice with the layering as well.

Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D: Both look great in 3D for the most part barring the occasional weird texture in the overworld or in a dungeon; this is more due to some of the older assets of these games not being improved accordingly.

Luigi's Mansion and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon/2: These also look pretty nice with the effect. As the first game is a port, it also deals with the occasional offbeat texture.

Bravely Default and Bravely Second: the 3D effect is best here when it comes to the art for some cities and other in-game locales. I had to play a lot of BD without the 3D effect as my 3DS at the time needed a battery replacement; I was absolutely stunned at the difference between 2D and 3D here once that issue was taken care of.

The Pokemon games use some 3D in some optional mini-games/modes and a few environments (this depends on the game), but for the most part those are in 2D.

I suggest that you ease yourself into the 3D effect over time versus fully blasting it in the beginning; I typically play with the slider set at about halfway. I can tolerate it at slightly higher settings, but the effect does chew through the battery a bit faster. It's totally fine if you decide it just doesn't suit you, however. It ultimately isn't essential, but I do feel that it adds to the visual experience in some cases.

Eel

My dominant eye is vastly better than the other one, so the 3d effect was always kinda blurry anyway. Lots of ghosting too.

While I liked the effect, it was more of a "oh and how does this look in 3d? Cool, now let's go back to 2D" thing most of the time.

Now I only have 2DSs, so there goes that.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

1UP_MARIO

@iLikeUrAttitude it does drop frames but I’m not a competitive tournament player.

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Ryu_Niiyama

On the note of the convo above I really wish they'd come out with the 2ds first. Would have saved some coins. I think the only real opponent Nintendo faces right now for keeping the 3ds as a budget system is many games are out of print and they didn't push the eshop as hard and there are some games that are physical only.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Eel

No, I think coming up with the 2DS first, and then selling a system called the 3DS, would've been a terribly confusing thing for consumers.

At least how they did it, it's understandable the number refers to the "dimensions". Had they released in the opossite order, you'd have people thinking it's a PS2 -> PS3 situation.

About the eShop, I think only very early games stayed as physical exclusive. Though I'm not sure if there's other newer games that did not get an eShop release.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ShinyUmbreon

I say a easy number give it two years..

I Got nothing.. oof.

Ninfan

Why didn't they put 3D in the switch. I think nintendo plan to continue with switch and 3ds. I think games and other things on the 3DS are better than switch

Ninfan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic