Forums

Topic: 3DS Recommendations Thread

Posts 2,661 to 2,680 of 2,682

Cromulent

I'm looking for some recommendations for open world sandbox RPGs. I don't mind if they are DS or 3DS games. Either would be fine for me.

Nintendo Network ID: Nizumzen

roy130390

@Cromulent Monster Hunter Stories is my favourite game on the 3DS and has a huge open world. The turn based combat is also fine.The same applies to Dragon Ball Fusions, which is quite good too. Xenoblade Chronicles is quite popular but I haven't played it so I can't recommend it.

Other open world games (just not rpgs) are Okamiden, which is a sequel to Okami and offers a Zelda-like gameplay but better in my opinion, (it's an easy recommendation and probably the most beautiful DS game) and Lego Marvel's Avengers 3DS which is quite fun action game with an open world and despite being a lego game offers the most faithful gameplay of some heroes that doesn't have their own game or had bad games.

roy130390

Cromulent

@roy130390 Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check out Monster Hunter Stories as I've heard a lot of good things about the series. I'll also try and get the Zelda games for the DS and 3DS as I've never played those and I feel like I am missing out on that whole thing.

I'm pretty new to Nintendo so I'm quite excited to dig through all of the old games.

Nintendo Network ID: Nizumzen

Viewbob

Can you guys recommend me anything like SMT IV: Apocalypse? It's probably my favorite RPG ever, story and gameplay-wise!

They say being drunk isn't too different from being sleep deprived.
In that case I've been on a two-week bender.

roy130390

@Viewbob Well, it depends in what you consider similar. For example, Etrian Odyssey games share turn based combat and high difficulty, so there's that in case you aren't familiar with them. Etrian Odyssey 4 is considered the best by many, and on discount you can buy it for about 5 dollars. it costs abut 10 if you buy it full price, I think. I do have to warn you, these games have a light story on purppose, so don't expect that to be their focus. Also, most of your party is defined since the start, there's no character/monster collecting.

7th Dragon Code is similar. It's more accesible in terms of difficulty and it has more focus on story but less deep when it comes to customization of character status, abilities and classes. It's also considerably shorter since the Etrian games offer even undreds of hours of challenge. It goes for about 13 dollars, and the times I have seen it on discount I think it costs about 7 dollars.

Then there's the turn based character collecting RPGs. Pokemon is obviously an option but I'm sure you are familiar with it. Monster Hunter Stories is another option (and a better one for me), it became my favourite 3DS game and while the main story is easy the post game and pvp offer great challenge. I enjoyed it way more than any Pokemon game, and had a blast training and personalizing my creatures. The combat is simple to learn but it's hard to learn every mechanic, and you can enjoy quite fun fights full of great strategies. Dragon Ball Fusions is another recommendation and quite similar to what I have said about MH Stories, but the ubalanced characters ( Saiyans make anything irrelevant, specially on pvp), and really weak story make me recommend Stories a lot more. Both games are worth it though, since they offer fun gameplay, unique combat systems ( more fresh than Pokemon) , beautiful visuals and hours of content.

The Shin Megami Tensei games are quite unique, so thi is the closest thing I can offer.

Edited on by roy130390

roy130390

vswil

@Viewbob
Check out the other SMT games like devil survivor overclocked or devil survivor 2 record breaker. Also i really enjoyed SMT 4 if u didn't play that one go for it because its pretty much the same game mechanics. Theres devil summoner soul hackers which is a playstation or Saturn game not really sure but its on the 3ds.

Playing:
SMT Nocturne
Street fighter 3rd strike
Earthbound
SMT Devil Survivor 2 RB

Viewbob

Sorry, I should have clarified, I've played most of the 3ds SMT games, trying to hunt down Soul Hackers right now. I guess what I'm trying to look for most is similar 3D dungeon crawling gameplay.

They say being drunk isn't too different from being sleep deprived.
In that case I've been on a two-week bender.

Joeynator3000

...I may as well ask here...has anyone bought Battle Cats on the 3DS? I've been playing the mobile version, but the energy and food thing is just...getting annoying. I was curious once I heard there was a $10 version on the 3DS, but of course...they kept the free-to-play crap on it. WHY?!

Anyways, if anyone out there bought it, is it actually worth it?...

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep the main channel PG-ish.

Cyborg: Why can't you call it a configuration disc?
Beast Boy: Why can't you call it an eyeball pizza thingy?

Rezwashere

I can't decide if I should get Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart DS, and Mario Party DS

Rezwashere

Tyranexx

It's really all down to your personal preference. Do you get more enjoyment out of various crazy party games, or from zipping around some tracks with Mario & Co.? Try watching some footage online of these games and see which one appeals to you the most. If you decide on Mario Kart, personally I'd recommend Mario Kart 7 if you plan on playing online. The online services for all normal DS games (3DS games are fine) were discontinued back in 2014.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Wii U VC), Luigi's Mansion (3DS)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

Rezwashere

Thanks. I chose Mario Kart 7. I really needed a game to play when I want to relax

Rezwashere

bluemage1989

You know I've never been that big into portable gaming even though I have owned all of Nintendo's handhelds they were just for when I was staying in hotels while away on work. Even now I still take the 3DS and leave the Switch docked at home. With the 3DS coming to its end soon I'd like to pick up any games I should have played but never did get around to.

I own:

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon X
Pokémon Ultra Sapphire
Pokémon Sun
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Mario Party: Star Rush
Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Star Fox 64 3D
New Super Mario Bros 2
Lego Batman 3
Professor Layton: Azran Legacy

I have Luigis Mansion 3D and Kirby's Epic Yarn 3D on order but is there any classics I should pick up now from anytime in the 3DS lifetime while there still easily available?? I only play two or three 3DS games a year and it would be good to have a backlog to keep me busy on my travels for years to come.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and Super Mario Party.

WiiU: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge.

N64: Donkey Kong 64.

linq

@bluemage1989 Super Mario 3D Land is a must have. Very underrated imho.

Metroid: Samus Returns is another that comes to mind. You won't regret getting this one if you like Metroidvanias.

Kirby Triple Deluxe is a fun ride too.

linq

bluemage1989

Being more of a home console Nintendo fan I don't know much about the 3DS library so thanks for the recommendations. I'll pick up Metroid for sure but I can see it being a long time till I play as I'm a bit burnt out on MetroidVanias in general at the moment. Is Kirby Triple Deluxe the better compared to Planet Robobot?? @linq

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim and Super Mario Party.

WiiU: Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge.

N64: Donkey Kong 64.

ReaderRagfish

@bluemage1989 If you like RPGs, Dragon Quest 7 is pretty easy to find at the moment, as are most of the Etrian Odyssey games.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

linq

@bluemage1989
I think most people seem to prefer Planet Robobot over Triple Deluxe but I haven't played Robobot yet (waiting for the price to come down on that one). You can pick up Triple Deluxe for $20 or less and then get Robobot later after you've played through some of your backlog and it'll likely be on sale by then. That's how I roll, anyway.

linq

Tyranexx

@Rezwashere: Glad to be of some help. Hope you enjoy it!

@ReaderRagfish: I find it interesting that despite the fact that DQ VII was ported/remade first, it's easier to find than DQ VIII. Is the latter more popular, or were there just less copies of it in circulation?

Video Corner: Every JRPG Ever
Currently playing: Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Wii U VC), Luigi's Mansion (3DS)

Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

ReaderRagfish

Tyranexx wrote:

Is the latter more popular, or were there just less copies of it in circulation?

Both of those seem possible. VIII is one of the more accessible and popular games in the series, while VII is more geared towards veterans. And since it was released near the end of the 3DS lifespan, they may have produced less copies like they did for VI on DS (which is somewhat hard to find these days).

Though I didn't have much trouble finding a copy of VIII. I just walked into the store on the afternoon of release date and bought it, and it only took a few months for it to go on clearance.

Edited on by ReaderRagfish

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Rezwashere

I've never played a Pokémon game in my life and want to try out the series. Is the any recommendations you guys have for my 3ds?

Rezwashere

MayorMax

if you want to be satisfied, buy animal crossing new leaf! (thank me later ;D)

Edited on by MayorMax

MAX WAS HERE!!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic