Thanks to today's financial earnings release, in which Nintendo revealed that the Switch has now overtaken the 3DS's lifetime sales, we now have an updated list of the Switch's best-selling titles.
In recent years, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has consistently reigned supreme at the top of this list – it's perhaps no surprise, then, that the Mario Kart 8 titles have now become the best-selling of the series – but has Animal Crossing: New Horizons finally managed to zoom past Mario and co. for first position in this latest update?
Interestingly, not quite. Despite New Horizons selling a staggering 19.4 million copies between April and December after an already-impressive launch month, Mario Kart remains on top. No new games have managed to break into the top ten since the list was last published back in November, although Super Mario Party has now overtaken the Pokémon: Let's Go titles.
Note that this data only includes Nintendo-published titles:
Top Ten Best-Selling Nintendo Switch Games (as of 31st December 2020):
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 33.41 million
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 31.18 million
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 22.85 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 21.45 million
- Pokémon Sword and Shield - 20.35 million
- Super Mario Odyssey - 20.23 million
- Super Mario Party - 13.82 million
- Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! / Let's Go, Eevee! - 13.00 million
- Splatoon 2 - 11.90 million
- New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 9.82 million
The numbers above are worldwide sales and include retail, digital, and copies bundled with hardware all combined.
Are you surprised to see Mario Kart 8 Deluxe still on top? Do you think Animal Crossing will eventually overtake it? Feel free to share your thoughts below.