- Also Known As
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Number of Players
- Single Player
- Action, Adventure
- Release Date
- 3rd Mar 2017 (US/Canada), $59.99
- 3rd Mar 2017 (UK/EU/AU), £59.99
- 3rd Mar 2017 (JPN)
- Legend of Zelda
- Link, Princess Zelda
- E3 2016
- Addons / DLC
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - The Champions' Ballad + Expansion Pass (Switch eShop)
A breathless experience
The Legend of Zelda has always been a franchise that best typifies Nintendo's desire to create memorable, substantial adventures. If Mario is all about precise mechanics and pure enjoyment, Zelda is a series that focuses on storytelling, world-building and classical tropes of good against evil, Hero against returning villain...
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Guides
All the Zelda games ranked
What are the best Zelda games? Following several decades of adventures across Nintendo consoles, ranking The Legend of Zelda series is one heck of an undertaking. Bar a couple of exceptions, each entry is pretty much a classic, and even the 'lesser' ones are really rather good. Many remain fixed as among the very best...
I see a ship in the harbour
Blue Monday. No, not just a kick-ass New Order song, but the name coined by marketers for the third Monday in January — purportedly the 'most depressing day of the year'. While the genesis and questionable 'science' behind this dreary moniker is smirk-worthy, looking after your mental health is something everyone should...
Dress for success
Clothing has never played a more important role in any Zelda titles than it does in Breath of the Wild. Link's multiple options serve not only to make him more stylish but also to protect him from Hyrule's harsh environment. With that in mind, we've put together a list of all of the options we've been able to find along with what...
Time to bulk up your hearts and stamina
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is an incredible game, both in terms of critical acclaim and sheer size. Few aspects of Link's latest sprawling adventure exemplify this as well as the sheer number of shrines - miniature dungeons focused solely on puzzle solving. Finding all of the shrines in Breath of...
We are the Champions
If you have been collecting amiibo from the start, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the perfect opportunity to cash-in on your investment with both the Wii U and Switch versions of the game. Every single amiibo released out there (including amiibo cards!) will work in the game, summoning cooking or crafting materials...
From the ground up
It's amazing how much of the content included in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is entirely optional and can easily be missed on your first playthrough if you're not exploring off the beaten track. One of the coolest optional features involves the construction of an entire town, and it's also one of the longest quests in...
It's dangerous to go alone
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (BotW) is almost gleeful in the way it casts aside the traditions of the series to present an open-world adventure unlike any other. Not only is protagonist Link relieved of his signature green tunic and iconic hat (at least by default, anyway), the famous Maste
Stock up on arrows and manipulate time to solve this shrine
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild’s more easily located shrines tend to be used to test a skill you need to know in the main quest. So it is with Shae Loya, a shrine en route to Rito Village that tests your precision archery skills in preparation for your airborne showdown with...
The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind
How many shrines must a man hunt down, before he can defeat an ancient evil composed of pure malice, returned from a ten-thousand year slumber with calamitous consequences? “It depends”, is one answer we imagine Bob Dylan could give to this question, if he wasn’t so quick to defer to the wind...
Deep in the Lost Woods, the stars have all the answers
Keo Ruug shrine – subtitled ‘Fateful Stars’, is one of the most conveniently located shrines in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. However, the constellation-themed puzzle is as tricksy as the inhabitants of the Lost Woods in which it can be found, thanks to an oft overlooked hint...
Solving a fore sword adventure in the Woodland tower region
Mirro Shaz shrine sees Link step onto the Links for a spot of golf. However, the ‘Temper’ in the shrine’s subtitle – ‘Tempered Power’ – may well describe your own frustration more than it hints at the trick to solving it. Stick with this guide, and we’ll show you how to get...
How to locate and solve the twin shrines of the duelling peaks
Among the 134 post-DLC shrines of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, there are more than a few that stand out, showcasing unique ideas that delight and occasionally perplex players. Shee Vaneer and Shee Venath – both subtitled ‘Twin Memories’ – are a fantastic example of...
About The Game
Step into a world of adventure
Forget everything you know about The Legend of Zelda games. Step into a world of discovery, exploration, and adventure in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, a boundary-breaking new game in the acclaimed series. Travel across vast fields, through forests, and to mountain peaks as you discover what has become of the kingdom of Hyrule In this stunning Open-Air Adventure. Now on Nintendo Switch, your journey is freer and more open than ever. Take your system anywhere, and adventure as Link any way you like.
- Explore the wilds of Hyrule any way you like—anytime, anywhere! - Climb up towers and mountain peaks in search of new destinations, then set your own path to get there and plunge into the wilderness. Along the way, you'll battle towering enemies, hunt wild beasts and gather ingredients for the food and elixirs you'll make to sustain you on your journey. With Nintendo Switch, you can literally take your journey anywhere.
- More than 100 Shrines of Trials to discover and explore - Shrines dot the landscape, waiting to be discovered in any order you want. Search for them in various ways, and solve a variety of puzzles inside. The tasks you must perform in each Shrine varies, and you'll never expect the challenges you'll face until you enter. Some will involve realistic physics, and some will require you to harness the power of nature, including electricity, wind, fire, and more. Work your way through the traps and devices inside, utilizing your runes and think outside the box to earn special items and other rewards that will help you on your adventure.
- Be prepared and properly equipped – With an entire world waiting to be explored, you'll need a variety of outfits and gear to reach every corner. You may need to bundle up with warmer clothes or change into something better suited to the desert heat. Some clothing even has special effects that, for example, can make you faster or stealthier.
- Battling enemies requires strategy – The world is inhabited with enemies of all shapes and sizes. Each one has its own attack method and weaponry, so you must think quickly and develop the right strategies to defeat them.
- amiibo compatibility – The Wolf Link amiibo from Twilight Princess HD, the Zelda 30th Anniversary series amiibo, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild series amiibo are all compatible with this game. Tap the Wolf Link amiibo (sold separately) to make Wolf Link appear in the game. Wolf Link will attack enemies on his own and help you find items you’re searching for. Tap a Zelda 30th Anniversary series amiibo to receive helpful in-game items or even a treasure chest!