Forums

Topic: Opinions on No More Heroes 1

Posts 121 to 140 of 204

grenworthshero

Vander wrote:

@supermarioman: I do have one question, how long is No More Heroes? If you guys liked the game so much to play through multiple difficulty levels then I'll probably do so too, so how long would one play-through take? Also I'm the type of person to collect everything so that would add a few hours. I am DEFINITELY getting it if I can, I just want to know when to save for NMH2

I will be sure to post my first impressions on wednesday (hopefully) Just gotta make it through tomorrow. Thank you Nintendo for making WarioWare D.I.Y. to help me stay occupied.

No More Heroes is about 15 hours long if you're taking your time

PSN ID: grenworthshero
Steam: grenworthshero
WiiU: grenworthshero
YouTube--backloggery--tumblr--

Nintendo Network ID: grenworthshero

citizenerased

Toki wrote:

Popyman wrote:

Toki wrote:

Popyman wrote:

^ Wow, so what anime is like NMH? I'd like to know because I've never seen anything like NMH, anime or otherwise.

Fooly Cooly's a good example.

And another example of depth hidden under silly =P

Best show ever.

Neither No More Heroes or Fooly Cooly possess hidden depth. I say that with 100% certainty. What you see is what you get, and it ain't much!

Right, Fooly Cooly is literally a tale about an alien organisation and an anarchist's quest for "Atomsk".

It's not at all a complex tale about growing up and coming of age ("drinking the bitter/sour drink", "you can only hit something if you swing the bat", etc) riddled with pop references. I've just finished watching it for the 6th or so time, and it probably has more depth to it than any other anime I've seen, never mind Western tv shows. If you know anything about Japanese culture at all you'd know how fond they are of ambiguity and symbolism.

No More Heroes is a clash between ideologies (of all the different killers), but from what Suda has said in interviews I don't think people should look too deeply into it, he just designs badass characters with a bit of depth and some interesting dialogue. Like FLCL it's littered with pop references. As such I thing Destructoid hit the mark by analysing just the ideologies and what the assassins represent. That being said, they also took things a bit too far by getting philosophical...

Edited on by citizenerased

Mario Maker 2 level ID: L93-LYQ-YJF

Popyman

@Toki: I seriously don't see how anyone can watch FLCL and not realize something is being said underneath everything. Watch the first few minutes of the first episode with your eyes closed, that'll (hopefully) give you an idea of what's being said.

Edited on by Popyman

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Saber

never heard of it lol

SSBB: 1634-4624-0179

Sean_Aaron

I'll have to check that out. Anyone know if this is the same as this?

Just want to make sure I shouldn't be looking at Ebay and I do prefer R2 DVDs where possible - assuming the content is the same!

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Popyman

I would wait. Funimation is re-releaseing it later this year. Until then, you can watch all six episodes on Youtube.

"Sometimes isolation is a good thing, Razputin. It can lead to many important discoveries."--Sasha Nein, Psychonauts3DS FC: 2578-3212-7404Popy's Backloggery!

Vander

@grenworthshero: Thanks for letting me know how long NMH is

@everyone else: back on topic please:)

My parents are going to get their final decision tomorrow morning! I should be near a gamestop tomorrow (actually the same one I saw the game at) plus (i think I've already mentioned this) there's 2 other gamestops nearby so I'm sure to get it if my parents approve

I've been watching No more Heroes gameplay videos on YouTube to get hyped up for it, i just hope I'm not setting myself up for a disappointment

go to www.virtualhamgames.com for great original independent games, a help service, and reviews for our games.
-a Virtual Ham Games fan

citizenerased

Sean+Aaron wrote:

I'll have to check that out. Anyone know if this is the same as this?

Just want to make sure I shouldn't be looking at Ebay and I do prefer R2 DVDs where possible - assuming the content is the same!

Every "collection" of FLCL is gonna be pretty much the same because it only has 6 episodes across 3 discs. Most have commentary from the directors and I know there's a "special edition" with postcards out there, but I don't think this is it. Regardless, this is the full "collection", and quite cheap at that. You won't regret it I wouldn't get it on Ebay if I were you; too many fakes out there. On another note, Popyman seems to suggest watching the dub but I highly recommend the original Japanese version with subs instead; not that the dub is bad or anything.

@ Popyman: We live in the UK.

As far as I'm concerned we can get back on-topic and talk about one of the best 3rd party games on Wii, I just wanted to answer his question.

Popyman

@tealover: Yeah, I know. Funimation doesn't release stuff there? =(

Supermarioman

Guys watch it we need to stay on topic or the Keymaster might come around.

So On Topic: Vander if your as hyped as I was for the game then you will most likely enjoy it, just don't take it too seriously when you play the game or you will ruin it for yourself. Its comical, but serious and deep at the same time. Also how did you all play for 15 hours on one play through? I beat the game in 11 hours buying a few clothes, all the movies, all the beam katanas and upgrades but the energy saver for the last one, and on training for Travis. I did a ton of missions and everything trying to make it last as long as possible even going as far as to sit around and admire Travis's room and look for everything I could in town and just screw around on my bike in town and I never broke 15 hours. I just want to know how did it take you all so long?

Also did you like playing with Travis's cat Jeane, I thought that was a nice addition that Suda 51 added for some emotional appeal (and just to have fun and make fun of Travis)

Supermarioman

Getting back off-topic!

Fooly Cooly and No More Heroes are "littered with pop references", and this is considered a plus? Pop culture references are just a bad excuse to be lazy! All it means is less work (which is sad, because they weren't doing much to begin with) for the writers. Family Guy and South Park are prime examples! All three (Family Guy, No More Heroes, and Fooly Cooly) are utter disgraces to animation! And yes, I've watched all three exstensively, so I know what I'm talking about!

Getting back on-topic!

And the only reason I got suckered into buying No More Heroes, was because the team who made Killer7 made it. I loved Killer7, so I gave it a try. Not only does the game play like crap, but everything about it (including these so-called "bad ass characters") was beyond deplorable! That's MY opinion on No More Heroes 1!

And back off-topic, again!

And as for the "depth" you people are talking about, it's nothing new! These days, everyone has a message, and almost everything is a reference to something. That's the problem with modern-day everything, nothing is really unique. I suppose that's one thing Nintendo has over the rest of the industry, they refuse to sell-out! Thank God!

Edited on by

citizenerased

Partially on-topic (we're discussing the depth in NMH franchise, I fail to see how it's off-topic...) :

Neither No More Heroes or Fooly Cooly possess hidden depth.

And as for the "depth" you people are talking about, it's nothing new!

No one said it was new. We just said it was depth. If you don't enjoy FLCL or No More Heroes, I honestly feel sorry for you. Claiming Nintendo's storylines are deeper is a little silly, but needless to say I enjoy Nintendo's efforts as well. If you take out all the pop culture references from FLCL you've still got a deep story about growing up, sex, social anxiety and religion, but I'm willing to admit NMH is little more than a collection of different views on society and culture. Regardless, still very enjoyable. And Family Guy's too random for my taste, at least the former 2 examples are cohesive.

Cannot. Wait. For. NMH2.

On another note, I'm thoroughly enjoying Killer7 as well, but if you were expecting a similar experience you didn't do your homework very well. Perhaps Madworld would be more to your liking, or some other stuff Shinji Mikami has written. Anime-wise I can definitely recommend Mind Game and Kaiba, by my favourite director. Also, saying things like "modern-day everything" and "sell-out" makes you sound like a bitter old man, I can only hope this is not the case. It's my personal view that nothing is "new" in the sense that it is created from nothing; ideas will always be continuations of already existing thoughts, it's the only way we know how to evolve. This hasn't changed with "back in the day", whatever that may mean to you.

shake_zula

Toki wrote:

Not only does the game play like crap, but everything about it (including these so-called "bad ass characters") was beyond deplorable! That's MY opinion on No More Heroes 1!

D:

shake_zula

Nintendo Network ID: shake_zula

Acidfoxdyi831

yes get the first 1 it will help abit to understand wats goin on in 2 .
i know because i own them both

wii console # 8741 9414 5054 3092
Monster hunter tri: Acidf0xD

Popyman

@Toki: Gah, okay, first of all, there isn't anything wrong with pop culture references. Sometimes, there is a REASON for them. And yes, FLCL is one of them. I've seen someone who believes that Mamimi represents old Japan and Haruko represents American influence and Naota is the modern Japan, and he has to choose which to follow. And that makes a LOT of sense to me and the references that Haruko makes (Just about all of them being connected to America) further supports this.

Second, stop acting like your view of something is the one and only way of looking at it. It's stupid, naive, annoying, and DEAD wrong. If you can't see anything in FLCL or NMH, that's your problem not theirs.

And third, I do agree with you on shows like Family Guy and such but not that FLCL and NMH belong in the same sentence with them.

Edited on by Popyman

The_Fox

Toki wrote:

And the only reason I got suckered into buying No More Heroes, was because the team who made Killer7 made it. I loved Killer7, so I gave it a try. Not only does the game play like crap, but everything about it (including these so-called "bad ass characters") was beyond deplorable! That's MY opinion on No More Heroes 1!

Praising Killer 7's "gameplay" but hating NMH? Interesting.

P.S: What the hell is a Fooly Cooly?

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

The_Fox

Ah, anime. I guess that explains why I've never heard of it.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Supermarioman

I wonder if Vander is playing it as we speak or moping in a corner somewhere, it would be a shame if he didn't get to play the game I think. As for everyone else, stop trying to change Toki's opinion. He is set on the game and theres no changing it. This is the beauty of opinions, everyone has one and its their own. Even though I'll be a bit hypocritical in this statement, we shouldn't try to change another persons opinion (Unless its a fact thats been proven and they are trying to make it an opinion.) But we should leave Toki alone and simply discuss about the game (That goes for you too Toki, feel free to state other opinions, but don't try to change someone else's ) so lets all get back on topic and get away from Fooly Cooly.

So On Topic:
I never got an answer to my questions, what took you all so long to beat the game?
Also individual opinions as well.

Supermarioman

Vander

Supermarioman wrote:

I wonder if Vander is playing it as we speak

How'd you know!

Yes i got the game! The parents said I could get it this morning so I stopped by gamestop and got it along with a free demo disc of Monster Hunter Tri (hey, it's free) I typically don't like supporting gamestop but Best Buy doesn't have it anymore and my favorite local used game store didn't have it so gamestop was the only option and it was only $17.99. In fact when the guy at the store asked if I had a gamestop card (which I don't) someone in line volunteered to use his card to help save me money I don't know if there's something he gets from the card, but it's nice to know there's good people out there. Anyway, on the game, it is AWESOME! The action is intense but fun and the high/low position adds some strategy. I thought I should post here and say that it's great the bosses are creative and a blast to play against. Santa Destroy is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, which is good. Is there any way that the collectables in the city appear on the map because i can't tell where to find them. I played 3 hours straight and enjoyed it all but i need a break. I just beat rank #8 (Shinobu I believe) Can't wait to play some more! well worth the purchase and well worth the wait.

go to www.virtualhamgames.com for great original independent games, a help service, and reviews for our games.
-a Virtual Ham Games fan

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.