Forums

Topic: Isn't it Ironic?

Posts 121 to 140 of 160

StarBoy91

Chocobos are very cute, I might add.

To each their own

retired_account

How ironic, for moogles to end up in a thread about irony.

That's ironic, right?

retired_account

Adam

Even though Waltz got an avatar, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, too, Little Home on the Prairie 101. I didn't want you to feel left out, so I made you one myself. I hope you like it.

Untitled

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

BulbasaurusRex

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

i-ro-ny: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

That seems more like the definition of sarcasm. I-ro-ny (not I-ir-ny, spelled the same but pronounced differently and means "like iron") is more like a related two-part statement where both parts are true and the second part contradicts or is hypocritical of the first part. The second part can also be omitted if it's common knowledge like in my example.

I don't believe iron is pronounced like that, and I think "ferrous" is the word for "like iron" or more accurately, "containing iron."
edit: of course, you were probably joking, but I take this very seriously!

I wasn't joking. From Dictionary.com:

i·ron·y   [ahy-er-nee]
–adjective
consisting of, containing, or resembling iron.

You should stick to m-w.com imo.

Main Entry: fer·rous
Pronunciation: ˈfer-əs, ˈfe-rəs
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin ferrosus, from Latin ferrum
Date: 1851

1 : of, relating to, or containing iron
2 : being or containing divalent iron

You know how many redundant synonyms are in the English language. Just because ferrous has the same definition doesn't mean my alternate definition of irony doesn't also exist. It's also in my family's hard copy dictionary. It's probably also in M-W's unabridged online dictionary, but I don't want to bother subscribing to find out.

Edited on by BulbasaurusRex

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912 | My Nintendo: Katara | Nintendo Network ID: TaurusBulbasaur

Knux

I think this thread is ironic.

Knux

NotEnoughGolds

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Bulbasaurus+Rex wrote:

WaltzElf wrote:

i-ro-ny: the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

That seems more like the definition of sarcasm. I-ro-ny (not I-ir-ny, spelled the same but pronounced differently and means "like iron") is more like a related two-part statement where both parts are true and the second part contradicts or is hypocritical of the first part. The second part can also be omitted if it's common knowledge like in my example.

I don't believe iron is pronounced like that, and I think "ferrous" is the word for "like iron" or more accurately, "containing iron."
edit: of course, you were probably joking, but I take this very seriously!

I wasn't joking. From Dictionary.com:

i·ron·y   [ahy-er-nee]
–adjective
consisting of, containing, or resembling iron.

You should stick to m-w.com imo.

Main Entry: fer·rous
Pronunciation: ˈfer-əs, ˈfe-rəs
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin ferrosus, from Latin ferrum
Date: 1851

1 : of, relating to, or containing iron
2 : being or containing divalent iron

You know how many redundant synonyms are in the English language. Just because ferrous has the same definition doesn't mean my alternate definition of irony doesn't also exist. It's also in my family's hard copy dictionary. It's probably also in M-W's unabridged online dictionary, but I don't want to bother subscribing to find out.

Well obviously different dictionaries will have different words.
However, dictionary.com pulls its information from so many different sources that I don't really trust definitions apart from the first one. I don't think you'll see the word "irony" to mean "like iron" too often, and unabridged dictionaries also sometimes have words like "gzzzzz - the sound that a lawnmower makes."

Isn't it ironic that we're debating an alternate definition of irony, that isn't the noun form of ironic, in a thread about ironic things?
maybe not

NotEnoughGolds

Knux

weirdadam wrote:

Even though Waltz got an avatar, it doesn't mean you shouldn't get one, too, Little Home on the Prairie 101. I didn't want you to feel left out, so I made you one myself. I hope you like it.

Untitled

I think that avatar fits Eugene perfectly, hail to the hardcore king.

Knux

shadowmario666

Isn't it ironic that there is nintendo wifi connection but without the "achievement board"...Im sorry but i think that nintendo needs a achievement board or achievement something. I mean THATS what people want. People want to accomplish something in the game that few people have. I talk to random people everyday and they say "hey did you get that achievement in halo" or "Im trying to get that speedrun achievement in mario". the problem is there's no achievement for any mario games. What i would like to have is an achievement for rescuing princess peach 50 times.

shadowmario666

Aviator

shadowmario666 wrote:

Isn't it ironic that there is nintendo wifi connection but without the "achievement board"...Im sorry but i think that nintendo needs a achievement board or achievement something. I mean THATS what people want. People want to accomplish something in the game that few people have. I talk to random people everyday and they say "hey did you get that achievement in halo" or "Im trying to get that speedrun achievement in mario". the problem is there's no achievement for any mario games. What i would like to have is an achievement for rescuing princess peach 50 times.

Someone help me, but I cannot see the sightliest how that is ironic.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

Noire

Aviator wrote:

Someone help me, but I cannot see the sightliest how that is ironic.

I'd show you, but my eyes are too obscured by MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLES

i still want moogle mystery dungeon, waaaaaaaaaah

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

Thomas_Joseph

Hyper+Luigi wrote:

I think this thread is ironic.

I think the word you're looking for is moronic, as opposed to ironic.

Currently playing: Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA), Infinite Space (NDS)

Friend Codes
Monster Lab: 4511-9376-9582; Water Warfare: 3781-7983-7040; TMNT Smash Up: 2064-0130-4425
[strong]Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: 2149-9558-3085 (Deuce); Conduit: 3782-0434...

CanisWolfred

Dragoon wrote:

Isn't It ironic there hasn't been an Ice Climber sequel?

That's not ironic at all. That's a G-dsend. You'll want to post that in the "Things we should be thankful for" Thread, once somebody makes it.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Starscream

Is this a joke topic or english class - I cant tell......

More than meets the eye!

retired_account

Isn't it ironic how eugene's threads last longer than his usernames?

retired_account

Noire

Starscream wrote:

It's an English class, and I am your teacher! whips out glasses and one of those pointer thingies

Reala, please stop drooling, you're getting it all over the desk...

Lieutenant Commander of the Lesbian Love Brigade
There can only be one, like in that foreign movie where there could only be one, and in the end there is only one dude left, because that was the point.

SherlockHolmes

Isn't it ironic that my user is called thelawyer yet I had never played a lawyer game before when I picked my name.

Squadala! We're off!
3DS Friend Code: 3566-1684-2813
Xbox360 Gamertag:Thatreggaeguy
Add me and I'll add back!
Old Username: thelawyer

Reala

PhoenixSage wrote:

Starscream wrote:

It's an English class, and I am your teacher! whips out glasses and one of those pointer thingies

Reala, please stop drooling, you're getting it all over the desk...

I take my fingers from my nostrils to block my drooling instead, but now the desks all bogeyish, the irony of it all is so tangable I can taste it

Reala

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.