Forums

Topic: Pokken Tournament - OT

Posts 401 to 420 of 488

jariw

Tsurii wrote:

If people can defend Splatoon's joke of day 1 content, there really shouldn't be anything to complain about here either.

Big difference. Customers knew they would not receive everything at release with Splatoon, while customers now know that there are no plans to expand Pokken Tournament after release.

jariw

DefHalan

jariw wrote:

Tsurii wrote:

If people can defend Splatoon's joke of day 1 content, there really shouldn't be anything to complain about here either.

Big difference. Customers knew they would not receive everything at release with Splatoon, while customers now know that there are no plans to expand Pokken Tournament after release.

Is that true? Did I miss that news? Did they confirm that there will be no updates or DLC for this game?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

DefHalan

Octane wrote:

It's true. There are no plans. Of course, that can change, but it's definitely not guaranteed at the moment, nor do we have any idea whether those will be free updates or paid DLC. I think the latter is more likely if we're getting DLC.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/16/pokken-tournament-no-cur...

I wonder if plans have changed. It reminds me when Smash Bros was coming out they were saying how they haven't started work on any DLC characters, they wanted Smash Bros to be a full package.

Octane

@DefHalan: Could be, but I think it depends on sales.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane: Yeah. Hopefully it does well. Depending on how much I get paid, hopefully I can get this soon. (I will be buying the digital version but I want that Mewtwo amiibo card lol)

jump

If it sells a truck load I can see it having dlc, they're probably worried there isn't enough of a userbase to support DLC.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Late

Fighting games as far as I know tend to have a smaller selection of characters in their first game of the series. Mortal Kombat had 7, Street Fighter II (no one cares about SF1) had 8, Smash Bros. had 12, Samurai Shodown had 12, etc. I think 16 is plenty for now but I do hope they'll either continue the series and expand the roster that way or release DLC characters. I personally think there'll be DLC since they added a couple new Pokémon for the Wii U version that aren't available in the arcade version and they did also add more Pokémon to the arcade version after its release.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Shinion

So I got the game today, first thing I'll get out of the way is that I'm not good at fighting games, in truth I've barely played any, but from the 1-2 hours I've played of this so far I can see this bucking that trend. Game's visually stunning and the half a dozen Pokemon I've used so far all are enjoyable to use and are very different from one another. Mechanically, it really does feel like a 'simple to get into hard to master' sorta game, par for the course for this genre I suppose, the basics are easy to understand but I don't think I'll be able to pull off combos for many, many days yet. I've mainly just been getting to grips with it so haven't started the single player or online.

As far as initial cons go the tutorial isn't the best, doesn't cover everything and only allows you to try out certain things while it just explains other and moves straight on to the next mechanic. The voice of the instructor lady is grating already, makes the tutorial even more annoying. Oh and the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card needs to be scanned after you turn the game off so that'll be annoying, though Shadow Mewtwo itself is so brilliantly OTT I don't mind too much.

Very good stuff so far, will be playing this game a lot now, bye-bye Smash

Shinion

Octane

@Late: To be fair, all those first installments are from 20-30 years ago. This isn't 1990 anymore. I understand that a Smash-sized roster for Pokkén is unrealistic, but I still think 16 is on the low side.

Octane

DefHalan

@Octane: Are there newer Fighting Game Series to more accurately compere this to?

Octane

@DefHalan: Established fighting game franchises? I'm not sure about that. However, since games in general were a lot smaller in size and scope 20-30 years ago, I find it difficult to make the comparison with those games. If you want to do so, fine, but use more recent games as examples.

Octane

DefHalan

Octane wrote:

Established fighting game franchises? I'm not sure about that. However, since games in general were a lot smaller in size and scope 20-30 years ago, I find it difficult to make the comparison with those games. If you want to do so, fine, but use more recent games as examples.

You are right, it is difficult to compare older games to newer games because the way content is created is so different now. Creating 16 mostly unique characters that are well balanced is difficult. A lot of modern fighting games have some clone characters to help expand character selection and add more options. I think it mostly comes down to are those 16 characters (along with the other content) worth the $60 because I have played fighting games with lots of characters where the price wasn't justified.

Octane

@DefHalan: Hopefully I'll receive my copy in time on Friday, I'm eager to see how much content is actually in the game. I managed to pre-order a copy last week for under €50, that price made it a little more appealing than the €60 most stores are asking for.

Octane

Late

@Octane: I noticed it myself but I'm not really into fighting games so I don't know any series that have started more recently.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo UK Online Store dispatched the Roy amiibo but not the Pokken bundle. I wonder if the setup now for delivery is that anything to do with amiibo is always with Yodel while actual games are with Royal Mail.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Rumorlife

No DLC is a tiny bit weird but this was suppose to be mostly the arcade game I thought just spruced up for the WiiU a touch, not a full blown remake especially for the WiiU. If it were the latter then I would expect more.
I kinda wish I could play the arcade game though. Is it not even in America? The Mario Kart arcade games are a bit of a bummer, so I imagine the console version of this is the one to play as well.

imo the board title needs to be edited just down to Pokken Tournament. Lol it's 2016.

Edited on by Rumorlife

Rumorlife

IceClimbers

Oh come on NoA, no demo for us? Aw well, still getting the game anyway.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ryu_Niiyama

Woo just saw that this game dings you for rage quitting. Doing that out of the gate? Oh I just got tingles.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Shinion

Does anyone know how you unlock other support Pokemon sets? I'm kinda bored with the ones they give you from the start and want to make obtaining new ones my priority

Shinion

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.