Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 5,241 to 5,260 of 15,210

Smash_kirby

@cookiex: The way I understood it Link fell in the last battle against Ganon forcing the seven sages to seal him up permanently. Which is why Ganondorf doesn't appear in the fallen hero timeline but only as the beast Ganon.

Smash_kirby

jump

I do find it weird that you played OOT, complete the game and then get told, no what actually happened was Link dies at the end and that where these games comes in. I guess Ninty are just counting your game over screen if you died in the last boss battle.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Eel

The one bit I don't like about the timeline is... Twilight Princess -> Four Swords Adventures.

@Dezzy: in multiple of them.

@Tsurii: I think you meant ALttP. The Oracle games and LA are sequels to ALttP.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

I'm just impressed how many people have actually taken the timeline seriously and actually know it from memory. I've ignored it completely! With the exception of a few games that are connected to others (e.g Wind Waker->Phantom Hourglass), it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Sticker

I honestly wonder how ambiios will work with Zelda U. Maybe it be similar to TP ambio features?

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

Monkey_Balls

Regarding the timeline, given that all footage of the game (thus far) shows Link without the legendary green garb, is it possible that Zelda U is set before Skyward Sword - maybe telling the story of when Hyrule and the Triforce were created, Demise attempted to gain power, and Hylia battled (with the help of Link and the remaining Hylians) to restore order by sealing him away?

Also... from what we have seen of Zelda U's combat, it doesn't look much different from the previous 3D games. Z-targeting seems to be there and I'm a bit disappointed really. I'm hoping for more fluid combat but somehow don't think it'll be that advanced. More circling of the enemy while others stand by and wait their turn...? Yay!

Edited on by Monkey_Balls

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Haru17

Dezzy wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

It's actually very logical, it simply means there's an infinite number of universes or timelines, where small but siginicant events can lead to alternate branches with different results. The death of the hero is something that can happen, in-game. In every game.

In which timeline is Schrodinger's cat dead?

Untitled

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Bolt_Strike

Dezzy wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

It's actually very logical, it simply means there's an infinite number of universes or timelines, where small but siginicant events can lead to alternate branches with different results. The death of the hero is something that can happen, in-game. In every game.

In the same universe where Link has a motorcycle.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

MegaMari0

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

In the same universe where Link has a motorcycle.

My Fiance hates the Schrodinger Cat concept so much that she refuses that I name our next cat Schrodinger(should we ever get another)

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Haru17

Morpheel wrote:

So.. The Mario Kart 8 branch of the timeline.

My vehemence cannot be conveyed in words right now.

Seriously, 'still a better continuity than the Zelda timeline' needs to become a meme like 'still a better love story than Twilight.'

Spilt milk?

Still a better continuity than the Zelda timeline.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Therad

Morpheel wrote:

Wrong, the cat is dead in all the Zelda games. And it is also alive in all of them.

Therad

Sticker

Therad wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

Wrong, the cat is dead in all the Zelda games. And it is also alive in all of them.

So, the cat is undead?

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

Chandlero

MegaMari0 wrote:

My Fiance hates the Schrodinger Cat concept so much that she refuses that I name our next cat Schrodinger(should we ever get another)

Everybody who loves cats should hate the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. Why would anybody call its cat Schrödinger anyway when most people obliviously can't write it correctly?

Nousername wrote:

Therad wrote:

Morpheel wrote:

So, the cat is undead?

The cat is in a quantum superposition of dead and alive. The modern solution of this old thought experiment is known as "decoherence" and it explains the collapse of the wave function and therefore the collapse of this superposition by the time evolution. The interactions of the atoms of the cat with the atoms of the box and the atoms of the outside world mean many small measurements which destroy the wave function, steadily but very fast. Therefore, after a small waiting time the cat is surely dead or alive. The superposition is gone then.

Back to topic:
@Monkey_Balls: I would love a real setting at the beginning of the time line
Skyward Sword was fun but the story explained not really the origin of the Triforce, as far as I know.

Edited on by Chandlero

Monkey_Balls

Chandlero wrote:

Skyward Sword was fun but the story explained not really the origin of the Triforce, as far as I know.

You're correct: creation of Hyrule/the Triforce has been mentioned but never fully realised to the gamer in real time. I would love a true origin story where Link is a nobody in a newly created Hyrule and finds himself - perhaps as a nomad/self-trained warrior - stumbling across the Demise/Hylia battle and helping out. He could even be seen as a nobody at the end of the game (and possibly fail/die), but his presence could inspire Hylia to seek out others like him further into the timeline (hence Skyward Sword's rather ordinary Link being sought out by her). It would be quite bittersweet to have the real hero being forgotten about in the Zelda lore (even by Demise and Hylia), with the supposed hero (an actual nobody) being recognised in Skyward.

Anyway, I digress. The real question here is: If you had a cat called Schrödinger, would you have to worry about buying cat food or not?

Monkey_Balls

Nintendo Network ID: widdowk

Therad

Monkey_Balls wrote:

Chandlero wrote:

You're correct: creation of Hyrule/the Triforce has been mentioned but never fully realised to the gamer in real time. I would love a true origin story where Link is a nobody in a newly created Hyrule and finds himself - perhaps as a nomad/self-trained warrior - stumbling across the Demise/Hylia battle and helping out. He could even be seen as a nobody at the end of the game (and possibly fail/die), but his presence could inspire Hylia to seek out others like him further into the timeline (hence Skyward Sword's rather ordinary Link being sought out by her). It would be quite bittersweet to have the real hero being forgotten about in the Zelda lore (even by Demise and Hylia), with the supposed hero (an actual nobody) being recognised in Skyward.

Anyway, I digress. The real question here is: If you had a cat called Schrödinger, would you have to worry about buying cat food or not?

Only if your name is Schrödinger.

Therad

Dezzy

MegaMari0 wrote:

Lol, she needs to find better things to hate!

Chandlero wrote:

The cat is in a quantum superposition of dead and alive. The modern solution of this old thought experiment is known as "decoherence" and it explains the collapse of the wave function and therefore the collapse of this superposition by the time evolution. The interactions of the atoms of the cat with the atoms of the box and the atoms of the outside world mean many small measurements which destroy the wave function, steadily but very fast. Therefore, after a small waiting time the cat is surely dead or alive.

That doesn't really answer the philosophical problem though does it? It just means you have to rephrase the same question but stipulate "before a small waiting time".
The philosophical question is whether the superposition actually exists as a real thing or whether different versions of the universe are constantly being created to account for it. Which was obviously why I brought it up.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Chandlero

Dezzy wrote:

That doesn't really answer the philosophical problem though does it? It just means you have to rephrase the same question but stipulate "before a small waiting time".
The philosophical question is whether the superposition actually exists as a real thing or whether different versions of the universe are constantly being created to account for it. Which was obviously why I brought it up.

The superposition exists in this mathematical sense. How it is really carried out in our world, nobody can tell you. "Many worlds" is just one explanation to live with the facts. Personally, I don't think it is a good explanation. I was aware of your reasons and I don't want to answer all the philosophical problems since that is not the topic here

By the way: This "small waiting time" in insanely small. Even before you have closed the box, the time is already up. There are no "big" Schrödinger's cats in our world but you can use this principle for experiments in the microcosm.

Now about the Zelda timeline:
I still find it strange that there is "The Hero is defeated" branch. This shouldn't be possible for all games and with the timeline it only works for OoT. But why?

Edited on by Chandlero

GrailUK

For me personally, I like to think each Legend of Zelda is simply folk lore and like folk lore there are dozens of iterations and inconsistencies with each telling of the story. It doesn't need to have a time line. It's not real it's just a legend. Like religion, they are all pretty much telling the same story with enough differences to cause such controversy.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Blast

I've been reading past discussions in this thread and lemme just say.... this has been quite the fun ride. In one part of this thread, we are talking about animations, then fanservice, then which Zelda has the best combat, and the list runs on. I was literally laughing at so much stuff. I read some of the old stuff I said in this thread and I laughed at how bizarre and dumb I sounded at times. I love this thread. You guys are freaking awesome. But this is is it! 2016 is finally here and this is the supposed year for Zelda Wii U's release!!!!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic