Forums

Topic: What is your one most overrated and one most underrated games you've ever played?

Posts 201 to 220 of 239

TheJGG

@Tyranexx It's nice to think about how games can be greater. Breath of the Wild's probably my third or fourth favourite Zelda game of all, behind Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and around Ocarina of Time. These are just the top games that warrant many playthroughs. It's a favourite, but for different reasons than the others. This was a very experimental game and I hope the sequel is more focused.

Thing is, (as one @DomGC said in another thread) the game's designed to be played in a specific way, as far as open-ended games go. It's about convenience and what's close to you. The Divine Beast order most people take is an inverted "n", so Ruta, Rudania, Medoh and then Naboris in the end. That's the order I almost always take for better or for worse! Let's be honest though, who didn't cheat at Vah Medoh? That one was begging to be cheesed...

Volumes.. ha! What a pun, you can be proud of that! The Ancient Cistern was a bloody good one, with some great Buddhist symbolism. I like that religion, if I had to choose one I'd definitely choose that. It's such a great design, the combination of holy and cursed like two sides of a Buddhist coin. That, and the Lakebed Temple are two water dungeons I legitimately enjoyed too. That one was so extensive and so well done.

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Elite: Dangerous (PS4)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Tyranexx

@TheJGG It's really hard for me to rank my favorite Zelda games; it's easier for me to list the games I'd rank towards the bottom. Though nearly all Zelda titles are at least fairly decent.

That Divine Beast order is the one I followed and seems to be the desired order for most playthroughs. Though I've read of others really mixing things up. Vah Medoh is so easy to cheat with....Thanks physics engine!

I am proud of that pun, considering it was unintended! I was pretty tired when I wrote that one lol. The Ancient Cistern is very well designed; it's probably my second favorite dungeon in SS after the Sandship. I love the duality of the temple, how it's essentially a good/evil, heaven/hell setup.

Currently playing: Luigi's Mansion 3, Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

thiz

Especially after replaying it - the most overrated has to be Wind Waker. I loved it as a child, but after replaying it, I felt insulted by its intense linearity.

Most underrated is Jade Empire. Its perfection, but no one cared for it.

thiz

TheJGG

@Tyranexx I’ve also found that it’s easier to know what you don’t like than what you do. It’ll be useful for uni applications. I’m sure that was something that helped you back in the day! Tri Force Heroes wants to have a word with you. Seriously that game felt like a parody. I hope we never get a game like that ever again.

Only time I differed from that path was when I wanted to deliberately add unknowns to my next playthrough. Otherwise I followed that original order. Bah Humbug, Vah Medoh…

Some of the best things happen when we’re tired. Not for me, I went to bed just before England scored three goals against Ukraine. I feel like a complete idiot now!

I almost forgot about how good the Sandship is! Makes me even more excited to go back and tackle actual dungeons for the first time since 2019…

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Knowing one's dislikes definitely helps for college/uni applications and optional prerequisite classes. I wanted to like Tri Force Heroes, but....Well, I think I've went on about it at length in the Chit-Chat Thread, so I'll refrain from doing so. I'm sure my experience would've been better if I had played with anyone I knew and trusted.

Just about any area that uses the Time shift stones in Skyward Sword is a decent one in my opinion. They make for some very interesting puzzles! Lanayru Mining Facility isn't bad either. (Except for one of the Beamos sections...yuck.)

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Suffice it to say that game's pretty rubbish. I think the timeshift stones were amazing. It made use of some criminally creative puzzles that I couldn't appreciate in full because I used a guide. It's times like these where I wish I could wipe small parts of my memory.

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Dogorilla

Given that I started playing Tri Force Heroes with a friend and really enjoyed it, I'd say that's one of the most underrated games I've played, as long as you play it with someone you know. We didn't get very far though and I haven't seen him in a while so I need to convince one of my other friends to get it...

Currently Playing:
I don't even know any more, I have so many video games, help me

Tyranexx

@TheJGG The Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare game handled single player much, MUCH better. At the end of the day, the multiplayer-focused Zelda titles are interesting (and sometimes fun) forays into the Zelda universe. But I'm fully for the other main series games. I'd almost consider FS/FSA and TFH spinoffs even though they're part of the timeline.

As for the timeshift stones, it's been several years since I've played SS; I think I last played through Hero Mode in 2013? Enough time for some of the puzzles to feel fresh again.

@Dogorilla To be fair, I've heard multiplayer in TFH can be a fun time with the right people. Single player, or with online randoms? Not recommended at all in most cases.

Dogorilla

@Tyranexx Yeah, you definitely need to have someone to play it with for it to be worthwhile. I consider the multiplayer games to be spin-offs too even though they have 'The Legend of Zelda' in the title. I didn't know TFH was part of the timeline; I don't know what happens later on in the game but story-wise it just seems like a humorous aside rather than anything that could be considered part of Zelda lore. IIRC Link's technically not even in it!

Currently Playing:

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Nintendo and their timeline shenanigans… bah humbug. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! But it’s been eight years?! Unbelievable. But won’t that make the reunion all the more sweeter? It feels so good to be home!

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Tyranexx

@Dogorilla I actually had a coworker at the time who also had the game, we probably could've coordinated together to play....The problem is - another drawback, probably the most baffling - we would've needed a third person anyway. Story-wise, the game isn't meant to be taken seriously. Truth be told, ridiculous as it was, I actually enjoyed the plot. It was mainly the mechanics and grinding for items to make the clothes that I really disliked.

@TheJGG Yes, definitely! I'm normally reluctant to double dip for most games, but the passage of time (lol) has made the decision to do so easier.

Dogorilla

@Tyranexx When I played the game with a friend we just joined up with an online random as the third player each time. I don't know how much those people enjoyed it but it was good enough for us! I didn't mind getting materials for the clothes at the time but I can imagine that would get tedious after a while.

Currently Playing:

Tyranexx

@Dogorilla If you wanted to collect all the outfits, finding all the materials was indeed tedious. I played the game up until I reached the end credits, then dropped it after that. It really stinks because I think I would've had a better experience with two other players I knew and trusted. I've had bad experiences with gaming online in the past, so it's not something I do a lot of. The only exceptions are people playing with me IRL or online acquaintances that I've interacted with long enough to trust.

Matt_Barber

Yeah, the lack of a two-player mode was the one thing I really didn't like about Triforce Heroes. Yes, you can find a third player online, but it can be a frustrating experience as you will get penalized for mistakes they make (and vice versa of course) and it's an instant game over if they drop out or the connection is lost.

Also, while most of the players were committed enough to want to complete the levels, you'll occasionally get someone who just isn't that good at the game or only wants to mess about. It's not that common, I suppose, but happened just enough to be off putting.

Matt_Barber

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Makes my (admittedly easy) choice of getting Xenoblade feel like a pandering double dip! I only beat Skyward Sword two years ago so it will come back to me eventually. But there is absolutely nothing to stop me getting this on day one because it's a Zelda game dammit, and a proper one at that!

I don't double dip much, but that's because I haven't had enough systems! Most double dips have been from Wii / Wii U...

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Tyranexx

As an aside, is it double-dipping if you've played a game on its original system (Ex. SNES) but never actually owned the system or game? I've picked up games on the Virtual Console and elsewhere that I had access to back in the day but didn't own.

@TheJGG Xenoblade Chronicles is quite worthy of double-dipping for, so no worries there.

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Anyone with that game needs to play it twice. I think that may be my most played game... ever. At least 200 hours on Wii and over 400 on Switch... Breath of the Wild only compares, which has about 375 on Switch and about 250 on Wii U.

On your question about double-dipping... It depends really. In your case I'd say no because you didn't have the game. If you played it on SNES then got it on Virtual Console then yes.

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Oh, XC:DE is certainly worth a replay. Same with BotW. Thanks for the answer; that's kind of the way I was leaning. Still, it's nice to get other opinions sometimes.

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Funny you say that actually, by complete coincidence I set up my SNES Classic Mini, and had a go at Final Fantasy VI. It’s very important to play a game that has sprite art due to limitation. So far the music is great and the atmosphere already evokes the strong steampunk nature of the game. Had no idea Terra was under mind control! I think that’s Terra…

Now that’s a game I’ve never played in any shape or form! Maybe I’ll play it half an hour a day. Nice change of pace from all the driving, web slinging and farming I’ve been up to the last few weeks.

Currently playing?
F1 2021 (PS5)
Death Stranding (PS5)
No Man's Sky (PS5)
Disco Elysium (NS)

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Have fun! Final Fantasy VI is arguably one of the best 16-bit JRPGs I've played. The music is decent, the plot is a fun romp, and many of the characters are fun. That is Terra, by the way. While she isn't the only protagonist - the game has a decent handful - she's arguably the main one.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic