Forums

Topic: What is your one most overrated and one most underrated games you've ever played?

Posts 201 to 220 of 232

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Suffice it to say that game's pretty rubbish. I think the timeshift stones were amazing. It made use of some criminally creative puzzles that I couldn't appreciate in full because I used a guide. It's times like these where I wish I could wipe small parts of my memory.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Dogorilla

Given that I started playing Tri Force Heroes with a friend and really enjoyed it, I'd say that's one of the most underrated games I've played, as long as you play it with someone you know. We didn't get very far though and I haven't seen him in a while so I need to convince one of my other friends to get it...

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Tyranexx

@TheJGG The Four Swords Anniversary Edition DSiWare game handled single player much, MUCH better. At the end of the day, the multiplayer-focused Zelda titles are interesting (and sometimes fun) forays into the Zelda universe. But I'm fully for the other main series games. I'd almost consider FS/FSA and TFH spinoffs even though they're part of the timeline.

As for the timeshift stones, it's been several years since I've played SS; I think I last played through Hero Mode in 2013? Enough time for some of the puzzles to feel fresh again.

@Dogorilla To be fair, I've heard multiplayer in TFH can be a fun time with the right people. Single player, or with online randoms? Not recommended at all in most cases.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dogorilla

@Tyranexx Yeah, you definitely need to have someone to play it with for it to be worthwhile. I consider the multiplayer games to be spin-offs too even though they have 'The Legend of Zelda' in the title. I didn't know TFH was part of the timeline; I don't know what happens later on in the game but story-wise it just seems like a humorous aside rather than anything that could be considered part of Zelda lore. IIRC Link's technically not even in it!

Funky Kong

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Nintendo and their timeline shenanigans… bah humbug. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! But it’s been eight years?! Unbelievable. But won’t that make the reunion all the more sweeter? It feels so good to be home!

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Tyranexx

@Dogorilla I actually had a coworker at the time who also had the game, we probably could've coordinated together to play....The problem is - another drawback, probably the most baffling - we would've needed a third person anyway. Story-wise, the game isn't meant to be taken seriously. Truth be told, ridiculous as it was, I actually enjoyed the plot. It was mainly the mechanics and grinding for items to make the clothes that I really disliked.

@TheJGG Yes, definitely! I'm normally reluctant to double dip for most games, but the passage of time (lol) has made the decision to do so easier.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Dogorilla

@Tyranexx When I played the game with a friend we just joined up with an online random as the third player each time. I don't know how much those people enjoyed it but it was good enough for us! I didn't mind getting materials for the clothes at the time but I can imagine that would get tedious after a while.

Funky Kong

Tyranexx

@Dogorilla If you wanted to collect all the outfits, finding all the materials was indeed tedious. I played the game up until I reached the end credits, then dropped it after that. It really stinks because I think I would've had a better experience with two other players I knew and trusted. I've had bad experiences with gaming online in the past, so it's not something I do a lot of. The only exceptions are people playing with me IRL or online acquaintances that I've interacted with long enough to trust.

Matt_Barber

Yeah, the lack of a two-player mode was the one thing I really didn't like about Triforce Heroes. Yes, you can find a third player online, but it can be a frustrating experience as you will get penalized for mistakes they make (and vice versa of course) and it's an instant game over if they drop out or the connection is lost.

Also, while most of the players were committed enough to want to complete the levels, you'll occasionally get someone who just isn't that good at the game or only wants to mess about. It's not that common, I suppose, but happened just enough to be off putting.

Matt_Barber

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Makes my (admittedly easy) choice of getting Xenoblade feel like a pandering double dip! I only beat Skyward Sword two years ago so it will come back to me eventually. But there is absolutely nothing to stop me getting this on day one because it's a Zelda game dammit, and a proper one at that!

I don't double dip much, but that's because I haven't had enough systems! Most double dips have been from Wii / Wii U...

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Tyranexx

As an aside, is it double-dipping if you've played a game on its original system (Ex. SNES) but never actually owned the system or game? I've picked up games on the Virtual Console and elsewhere that I had access to back in the day but didn't own.

@TheJGG Xenoblade Chronicles is quite worthy of double-dipping for, so no worries there.

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Anyone with that game needs to play it twice. I think that may be my most played game... ever. At least 200 hours on Wii and over 400 on Switch... Breath of the Wild only compares, which has about 375 on Switch and about 250 on Wii U.

On your question about double-dipping... It depends really. In your case I'd say no because you didn't have the game. If you played it on SNES then got it on Virtual Console then yes.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Oh, XC:DE is certainly worth a replay. Same with BotW. Thanks for the answer; that's kind of the way I was leaning. Still, it's nice to get other opinions sometimes.

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Funny you say that actually, by complete coincidence I set up my SNES Classic Mini, and had a go at Final Fantasy VI. It’s very important to play a game that has sprite art due to limitation. So far the music is great and the atmosphere already evokes the strong steampunk nature of the game. Had no idea Terra was under mind control! I think that’s Terra…

Now that’s a game I’ve never played in any shape or form! Maybe I’ll play it half an hour a day. Nice change of pace from all the driving, web slinging and farming I’ve been up to the last few weeks.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Have fun! Final Fantasy VI is arguably one of the best 16-bit JRPGs I've played. The music is decent, the plot is a fun romp, and many of the characters are fun. That is Terra, by the way. While she isn't the only protagonist - the game has a decent handful - she's arguably the main one.

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx I just looked it up while avoiding story details... FOURTEEN playable characters?! That's gonna be a massive headache when managing levels and such. I just finished the first twenty minutes of the game, namely the first boss battle. I can't wait to get stuck into more! Helps that the SNES Mini's a really well built console with some great emulation. The controller's fantastic too, it reportedly feels just like, if not better than, an original. So I'm now a 90's kid!

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Euler

I don't think someone that grew up watching Teletubbies can just appropriate the 90s kid identity by playing a video game or two. Sorry.

Euler

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Yep, fourteen. Most are pretty much given to you, but a small handful need to be sought out. I managed to find all but one on my own and caved to a guide lol.

The SNES Classic Mini's controller does indeed feel almost like the real thing! I was slammed with a load of nostalgia when I got everything first hooked up.

jedgamesguy

@Tyranexx Recapturing nostalgia's something I'll need to wait on. Dunno if the Wii'll ever be produced as a mini console in future... At least I know I'm getting the full authentic experience when mashing buttons. I will say though that Mode 7 games (Super Mario Kart) are technical achievements in their own right, but at this point are headaches! I'll keep ya posted as I progress through.

Currently playing:
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Themagusx1

Simple Earthbound for Overrated

Underrated Final Fantasy XIII

Themagusx1

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic