Forums

Topic: What is your one most overrated and one most underrated games you've ever played?

Posts 221 to 240 of 243

TheJGG

@Tyranexx I just looked it up while avoiding story details... FOURTEEN playable characters?! That's gonna be a massive headache when managing levels and such. I just finished the first twenty minutes of the game, namely the first boss battle. I can't wait to get stuck into more! Helps that the SNES Mini's a really well built console with some great emulation. The controller's fantastic too, it reportedly feels just like, if not better than, an original. So I'm now a 90's kid!

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

NintendoLife’s number one motorsport fan!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Euler

I don't think someone that grew up watching Teletubbies can just appropriate the 90s kid identity by playing a video game or two. Sorry.

Euler

CactusMan

@Euler That´s right we were emulating the Power Rangers and the Samurai Pizza Cats in the playyard. Everyone got wounded in the procces exept girls, I don´t know what they were doing, rope skipping I gues. They send letters to our parents to restrain us from ´´Ṕlaying Power Rangers´. Mosh pitts are a thing of the past too, TeleTubbies FTW!

Bamm!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6657-1971-4787

Tyranexx

@TheJGG Yep, fourteen. Most are pretty much given to you, but a small handful need to be sought out. I managed to find all but one on my own and caved to a guide lol.

The SNES Classic Mini's controller does indeed feel almost like the real thing! I was slammed with a load of nostalgia when I got everything first hooked up.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Breath of the Wild DLC (Switch), WarioWare: Get It Together! demo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

TheJGG

@Tyranexx Recapturing nostalgia's something I'll need to wait on. Dunno if the Wii'll ever be produced as a mini console in future... At least I know I'm getting the full authentic experience when mashing buttons. I will say though that Mode 7 games (Super Mario Kart) are technical achievements in their own right, but at this point are headaches! I'll keep ya posted as I progress through.

SoundCloud - Xenoblade Novel

NintendoLife’s number one motorsport fan!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Themagusx1

Simple Earthbound for Overrated

Underrated Final Fantasy XIII

Themagusx1

Wavey84

Overrated: Kirby's Adventure
Simply because HAL decided to use 'up' on the D-pad to make Kirby float instead of the jump button which eventually became standard after Adventure. As is, floating was just awkward. I missed out on this one back in 93' and eventually played through it on the Wii's VC. It was alright.

Underrated: Wario Land Shake it!
Brilliantly refreshing and innovative Motion Tilt controls for the UFO & Boxing Glove Mobile(Boss 2, Hot Roderick Race) and just a wonderful 2D platfomer in general that just doesn't get enough love. I'm probably one of the few that actually enjoyed this a heck of a lot more than both Super Mario Galaxy and NSMB. Wii. To get the most out of WLSI, you need to complete all of the objectives ala' 100% if you're up for the challenge. not for the faint of heart!

Wario Land Shake it!, Klonoa(with it's amazingly surreal soundtrack) and Mega Man 9 are the Wii holy trinity for 2D platformers as far as i'm concerned.

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Themagusx1

@Wavey84 I will be honest I do prefer Dreamland and Dreamland 2 over Adventure. You are right about the floating mechanic, but I feel I like the more straightforward approach of the original game over Adventure.

Themagusx1

Themagusx1

@Tyranexx Thank You for saying this. I have had many arguments with people saying there is No Main Canracter in FFVI, but it is very clearly Terra/Tina.

Themagusx1

Wavey84

@Themagusx1
Dreamland 1 back on the Gameboy was great and nearly gets a free pass for being the first of it's kind, although it's sequel DL2 was a bit of a step down. The stage design felt watered down and the Animal riding gimmick didn't exactly do much to enhance the experience. DL3 was a bit of a stinker though! i dropped out half way through that one. lol

Edited on by Wavey84

Wavey84

Themagusx1

@Wavey84 I disagree about 2 with ya, but as for the first one, I think the i lockable hard mode makes that game,

Themagusx1

Wavey84

@Themagusx1
Agreed. But the unlockable hard mode should of been there from the start as it should with every traditional Kirby game. because as is, they're just too easy. Kirby is too over powered and makes nearly every single enemy feel like a complete push over.

Wavey84

Themagusx1

@Wavey84 Oh no doubt, and was it no the same with Kirby Star Allies a few years back until some free dlc came out?

Themagusx1

Wavey84

@Themagusx1
lol Kirby Star Allies runs at 30fps. That's a red flag for a 2D platformer. I didn't like the demo, it was just more of the same, but with a crappier frame rate and messy gameplay thanks to your allies that constantly get in the way.

Wavey84

Themagusx1

@Wavey84 oh that is a big red flag, I was thinking of getting it but you are right 30 FPS is not good for a paltformer.

Themagusx1

Tyranexx

@Themagusx1 FF VI certainly focused on other characters as well, but the overall story focuses on Terra IMO. She is central to a lot of what happens before and during the game.

Currently playing: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Breath of the Wild DLC (Switch), WarioWare: Get It Together! demo

Switch Friend Code: SW-3478-2466-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Zelda_By_Night

FX102A

Underrated: Mana Khemia (PS2)

The game looked so simple with simple sprite graphics and such but beneath all that I found a really enjoyable battle system, fun characters, interesting questing and gameplay progress and fun item creation. Pity the sequel wasn’t as good.

Overrated: Last of Us (PS3)

Boring, frustrating, uninspiring, depressing (and they say the sequel is even more!) and 2 main characters where one was a mopey dullard and the other one a foul-mouthed irritant that I wanted to repeatedly use a brick to repurpose her brains into hamburger meat.

FX102A

Ralizah

@FX102A lol TLoU2 is vastly more depressing.

It was always got me when people talked about how "good" the story in TLoU was. Like... maybe if it's the first ever piece of apocalyptic fiction you've encountered. It was pretty aggressively average on the narrative front, IMO.

Currently Playing: WarioWare: Get it Together! (NS)

Upcoming
The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve (NS)
God of War (PS4)
Tetris Effect (NS)

path4smash

Underrated: Mega Man Legends - I thought of this game today and there wasn't really a review that says it isn't good but I think that back then this game didn't really get the love it deserved. That is partly due to Mario 64 getting all the attention and as somebody who didn't have an N64, this provided an alternative that ended up as one of my favorite games on the PS1.

Overrated: Kentucky Route Zero - This is a game and story that many consider to be one of the greatest point and click adventures of all time. Highly rated in Metacritic and Steam. Sadly it didn't click with me and I can't even get myself to finishing it. I don't mind reading a lot and its weirdness/art style but I didn't expect to regret buying this game so much. Its not that I am not interested in the heavy topics that revolve around this game either. I just don't think it deserves the praise it has gotten.

path4smash

YusseiWarrior3000

Super Mario Odyssey.

RIDING DUEL~ ACCELERATION!
If you want to see what games I'm playing, go to the "Games" section of my profile :)

Mario Kart Tour Friend Code: 8974 4719 2088

Switch Friend Code: SW-4897-6636-0388 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-7015-0490 | My Nintendo: MantaroTM | Nintendo Network ID: mantaro654

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic