Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 501 to 520 of 585

ThanosReXXX

Oh, @Eel... Someone hasn't read the site rules.
Must be a newbie...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Zeldafan79

Hey i got a question. I recently modded my gamecube to run swiss. If you're into modding you probably already know what that is. Anyway what is the final word on N64 emulation for this system? Can gamecube even run N64 roms? I assume probably not. I've heard some pretty powerful PC's even struggle with N64 for some reason. If not know of any game systems that can run them well?

Nothing I've tried works. Why is it so hard to emulate a 25 year old game console?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

ThanosReXXX

@Zeldafan79 You should either try Not64 or Cube64, both of which are forks of/based upon Mupen64, which is the most versatile and powerful N64 emulator. Here's some links and info on N64 emulation on the GameCube:

As for the how and why of it being so hard: the general rule of thumb for emulation on any given platform is that the system running it, should at the VERY least be 5 times more powerful, in ALL areas. The thing with console emulation though, is that it's always custom hardware, with both different strengths and bottlenecks each time, and where a CPU or GPU might easily be able to cope, memory management might not, or the other way around. CPU's are also often a bottleneck, as are Operating Systems and combinations of all of those factors, because those will ultimately decide how much of the inherent power of a console is free for usage with emulators and games.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Zeldafan79

@ThanosReXXX
I tried Cube64 and it runs a few of the games okay but it still isn't what I'd call acceptable. Even Mario 64 was occasionally lagging. I suppose it's playable but don't think i'd want to play a whole game like that. There's still alot of games that won't run at all on it. I'll probably just stick with Nes and Snes for my cube setup. I do still have my original N64 but it looks awful on my modern TV. I wish there was a way to upgrade it to HD without spending a pant load.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

ThanosReXXX

@Slowdive Haha, nice. Always cool to take a trip down memory lane. And there are definitely more than enough good memories, where the little purple cube is concerned.

Zuljaras

@ThanosReXXX I know you love the GC and I found this mod if your DVD ever fails. It requires no soldering or cutting of any kind. The only downside is that the GC will no longer use physical games. Everything will be on a SD card inside the console.

link to video tutorial

Edited on by Eel

Zuljaras

@Eel Hey Is there a reason for the edit? To make the video into a link seems obsolete as I saw videos posted here and they had no issues.

Or the question should be was it reported?

PS: I am not arguing it. I just want to know the reason. For me the YT video is easier to watch with just one click and no redirections. That way you are forced to open YT in another tab.

Edited on by Zuljaras

Eel

People complained about it being a modding tutorial. Since it’s for the game cube, I went with the compromise of making the user leave the site to watch it instead of completely removing it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras Haha, yeah... I already know about that one. I do appreciate the heads up, so thanks, but I'm not interested. I'd sooner buy a refurbished GameCube or a replacement drive, which are still available over here.
I still have so many original games that removing the actual drive permanently to replace it with an SD reader is just not an option for me.

And besides, currently, all my GameCube games are already installed on the external hard drive of my softmodded Wii, so there's no need for it either.

P.S.

Perhaps the complainer was that Slowdive guy. Seems like he has also removed some comments in this thread because on the previous page, I'm apparently replying to a comment of his that is no longer there...

@Eel Hope you don't mind me adding my own thoughts on the matter. A video about modding the GameCube should be allowed, according to the official site rules:

"Do not discuss current gen emulators/homebrew/piracy; It is permitted to constructively discuss the use of flash carts, emulators and homebrew software when in the context of previous generation(s) hardware. "

So, according to that NLife rule, anything up to and including the Wii U is allowed, long as we don't link to sites where you can download ROMs or downloads for disc images of games, which seems like a no-brainer to me, obviously.

I actually have a perfect example of this being so, because I myself had a discussion about this very topic with several mods (you may or may not have been included. What with all of your name swaps, I honestly don't know anymore) a couple of years ago, when I posted a couple of video tutorials on how to softmod/hack the SNES Mini, and while initially, the videos were removed from my comment, I ultimately managed to make the mods see that I really wasn't breaking any site rules, and the videos were actually put back into my original post again.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@Octane Oh you evil, evil man... It's always the Dutch, isn't it?

ThanosReXXX

@Slowdive Didn't say you posted questionable stuff, just noted that you might have commented on people offering advice on modding, because you perhaps don't agree with such practices. If that wasn't the case, then my bad, and my apologies.

You do seem to have removed a comment or two, though, because I replied to you on the previous page, but what I replied to is apparently gone.

EDIT: was a bit too quick with that last part, my bad again, seems like you already solved that removed comments mystery. Too bad, though: now I'll never again know what great game you had mentioned.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Eel

@ThanosReXXX I didn't remove the video, I just made it a link instead. Because people reported it.

I like to think making them links instead of embedded videos is a nice middle ground.

About the NES/SNES mini thing you mention, maybe I'm thinking of a different situation, but I remember the problem with your posts back then was that they included directions on where to get roms. Once you stopped including those, your posts were left alone.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Eel Yeah, that was part of it. I kinda got lost in trying to help people along a bit too precise in that regard, but the videos were removed as well, and that was debatable, and actually something that was agreed upon as having been a bit too strict. Modding/emulating is a topic that doesn't necessarily include pirating games, and that is probably also why the community rules allow for it to be freely discussed and/or shared.

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras that’s a good mod but I’d say there’s more cons than pros. The gc loader is really expensive now to make it really worth it although you will find similar mods cheaper.
Best way to go will be a xeno mod the cube and run your games through the serial port 2 with a sd adapter and sd card. That’s how I run all my games through Swiss and sd card and also have the option to use the cd drive.
It’s the same thing but gives you more options and way way cheaper

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic