Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 501 to 514 of 514

ThanosReXXX

@Don Erm... Look at the title of the thread: we're talking about GameCube games in here. Nothing new about them...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX yeah I know about the pvm and bvm but I’m not sure if I want to drop that kind of cash on a small screen. This eye of mine is getting older not younger. I at least want to stay within the sony trinitron line since even the consumer grade versions would be good. I don’t have to have the very best...I had a middle class childhood so I played games on a 20 inch magnavox tv for most of my child hood. I had a 13 inch tv that I had intended to keep for retro but my mom threw it out. Sigh. I was originally gonna do the framemeister and all that but I feel a good quality CRT and an upgrade in cables is good enough.

Doshin in japanese is pretty cheap and that would be the version i would buy. I only buy NTSC and NTSC-J games. If I have a european region game it is because Amazon sent me the wrong version . I really hate that. They do that with the xbox one all the time.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

damien33ad

@gcunit I couldn't agree more. Gecube games too can sometimes be VERY pricey. TTYD is average over $150. Other games are $70. And on wear and tear I just ordered original Luigi's Mansion from GameStop and got it for good deal...but it didn't work. Buy now when it comes to retro. Sales don't happen here

damien33ad

Heavyarms55

I assume they are, but can anyone tell me if GameCube memory cards are region locked?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

1UP_MARIO

@Heavyarms55 not region locked but you should only use the same region saves on one memory card or it gets corrupted. Best to have separate cards for different regions

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Anti-Matter

@Heavyarms55
My Gamecube memory card is 3rd party with 2043 blocks and still working fine since i bought on year 2017.

Top 7 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Heavyarms55

@Anti-Matter Thanks, but that's not what I meant.

@1UP_MARIO Thanks, good to know!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

gcunit

Anyone know exactly how the region formatting of memory cards works?

I have PAL GameCubes and a couple of JAP GameCubes. If I insert my PAL memory card into my JAP GameCube, will it immediately format the memory card as soon as I power on the GameCube? If not, when does the formatting occur?

Reason I ask is because I have a Free Loader disc for playing my PAL games on my JAP GameCubes, and am also considering a XenoGC mod. Can I load my PAL saves on a JAP console if using Free Loader/XenoGC?

I've been meaning to test this myself but am a bit short on memory cards currently.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

RadioShadow

gcunit wrote:

Anyone know exactly how the region formatting of memory cards works?

I have PAL GameCubes and a couple of JAP GameCubes. If I insert my PAL memory card into my JAP GameCube, will it immediately format the memory card as soon as I power on the GameCube? If not, when does the formatting occur?

Reason I ask is because I have a Free Loader disc for playing my PAL games on my JAP GameCubes, and am also considering a XenoGC mod. Can I load my PAL saves on a JAP console if using Free Loader/XenoGC?

I've been meaning to test this myself but am a bit short on memory cards currently.

Your Japan GameCube would be setup to use the Japan BIOS. When it checks the Memory Card, it makes sure it been setup to save Japan games (all memory cards are the same, it's the GameCube that sets the region when setting up). If this is not the case, you will be asked to format the Memory Card.

Using a Freeloader/XenoGC will only disable the region check. The BIOS will still be Japanese. You can add a switch to select to use the japan or USA BIOS: https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Region_Switch

The good news is USA/PAL games can be saved on the same Memory Card, so as long as it's in USA BIOS mode, the PAL game will work fine.

Edited on by RadioShadow

RadioShadow

Twitter:

ThanosReXXX

Oh, @Eel... Someone hasn't read the site rules.
Must be a newbie...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Zeldafan79

Hey i got a question. I recently modded my gamecube to run swiss. If you're into modding you probably already know what that is. Anyway what is the final word on N64 emulation for this system? Can gamecube even run N64 roms? I assume probably not. I've heard some pretty powerful PC's even struggle with N64 for some reason. If not know of any game systems that can run them well?

Nothing I've tried works. Why is it so hard to emulate a 25 year old game console?

Zeldafan79

ThanosReXXX

@Zeldafan79 You should either try Not64 or Cube64, both of which are forks of/based upon Mupen64, which is the most versatile and powerful N64 emulator. Here's some links and info on N64 emulation on the GameCube:

As for the how and why of it being so hard: the general rule of thumb for emulation on any given platform is that the system running it, should at the VERY least be 5 times more powerful, in ALL areas. The thing with console emulation though, is that it's always custom hardware, with both different strengths and bottlenecks each time, and where a CPU or GPU might easily be able to cope, memory management might not, or the other way around. CPU's are also often a bottleneck, as are Operating Systems and combinations of all of those factors, because those will ultimately decide how much of the inherent power of a console is free for usage with emulators and games.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Zeldafan79

@ThanosReXXX
I tried Cube64 and it runs a few of the games okay but it still isn't what I'd call acceptable. Even Mario 64 was occasionally lagging. I suppose it's playable but don't think i'd want to play a whole game like that. There's still alot of games that won't run at all on it. I'll probably just stick with Nes and Snes for my cube setup. I do still have my original N64 but it looks awful on my modern TV. I wish there was a way to upgrade it to HD without spending a pant load.

Zeldafan79

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic