Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 521 to 540 of 585

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras gamecubes are quite cheap in the uk. You can buy a modded one with xeno and Swiss for the price of a normal cube. The hard part is installing the region free chip. I’d just recommend buying one that’s already has the chip installed. Good luck

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

1UP_MARIO

@Zuljaras it’s a permanent mod just like the gc loader video you first sent but this lets you have both. Run you games through the sd card or cd.
There are many methods to do this. Just different steps and ways that you don’t need to mod the systems like game save exploits and action replay disc etc.

Zuljaras

@1UP_MARIO I meant for the Wii. I would love a permanent mod for the Wii as there you need to star the mod every time you turn on the console. Or at least to be as straightforward as the PS3 mod

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras And it is much appreciated, but as mentioned, it would instantly make my entire disc-based collection useless, so I'd rather not destroy my GameCube for something that basically permanently gimps it. And I like original hardware. The only console I ever modded, was my Wii, because it could be done with software and if I ever grow tired of it, I can quite easily return it to its original state.

That solution that @1UP_MARIO posted is actually more something that I would look into, if I would ever decide to actually go ahead and mod my GameCube after all.

P.S.

The softmod for the Wii is basically also a permanent mod, seeing as it will continue to work and be accessible, as long as you don't remove it yourself. And you access it through a channel on the main menu of the Wii, so you can't get any more direct than that, access wise, because it's the same method as accessing an original game or eShop title.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

1UP_MARIO

@ThanosReXXX I know you have big collection of cube games so it’s definitely the way to go. The xeno chip (region free)is so cheap, the problem for me was installing the chip which involves soldering which I can’t do. I just bought another cube (about the price of a switch game) which already had the XENO chip installed and still have my original black cube.
A burnt cd of Swiss software which has a lot of homebrew options like a better Gameboy player. In game reset options and more.
It’s a great mod and keep all your games safe

tonyferrino

Hi All, new reg here but I've been lurking for a while. I've just picked up a box of Gamecube games from my parent's house, and I'm having a bit of a dilemma.

I have an almost-mint copy of Fire Emblem Path of Radiance in the collection, and I've just found out how much it's worth right now! The obvious dilemma is - should I cash in on it now, or hold on? What's the likelihood of this title either going down in price, or going even higher?

I'm thinking of selling it on, then either investing the proceeds into a GC HDMI output of some kind, or a WiiU to emulate the games I already have. I don't think my other games are particularly rare or worth a great deal, although I do have two copies of Zelda WW and Metroid Prime 1 for some reason!

tonyferrino

MarioVillager92

@1UP_MARIO Apologies if it's late, I just saw that post of yours. I've seen that mod before on a YouTube video and I've been considering installing it on my GameCube. It's pretty much kicking the bucket now because it's not reading the game discs too well. Here's the video in question:

I'm not exactly a hardcore modder but it does look easy to install. I do have a Game Boy Player attached to my GameCube though. That chip would still be able to fit in, right? (If it does fit, I may as well throw the Game Boy Interface into the mix too.) Is there anything else you'd recommend to me as well?

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

1UP_MARIO

@MarioLover92 this one is easy and simple with no hardware modding. Go for it.

My one is similar but it’s a hardware mod. It’s a cheap XENO region free chip mod which need to be soldered on. Both do the same thing tho but xeno looks cleaner as you don’t need a sd reader memory card.

I recommend the xeno mod if your confident with the heat pen or even take it to a mod shop, your laser not reading the disc is just needing a recalibration of the laser pot. Either way it brings so much life to the cube as your games are all running off the sd card via the adapter and laser has a long life.

If you have about 70 to 80 games 64gb sd card is enough although there is also software that can shrink the games

Edit. Just watched the video. If your gonna backup your games. If you have access to a modded Wii use that instead of the cube.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

MarioVillager92

@1UP_MARIO Oh gotcha, I wonder how I can recalibrate the laser. The last time I played my GameCube, I was playing Sonic Adventure 2 (I only went on that game's stage select) and after I finished a level, it gave me the "an error has occurred" message. That didn't happen on my red Wii.

Not sure if I'd personally need that Xeno chip since all my games are the US NTSC versions. There is one Japan-exclusive game that caught my eye though, which is Nintendo Puzzle Collection. I have about 30 GC games right now.

Oh yeah, I should mention that I have a platinum GameCube which we got back in 2003. It has the digital AV out port on the back, if that means anything. Thanks for your help.

Edit: I do have a modded Wii - just saw your edit!

Edited on by MarioVillager92

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

1UP_MARIO

@MarioLover92 definitely get one of those gc video adapters and play the games in 480p. The one in the video is the one I got my eyes on and are priced well on AliExpress although in Europe our gamecubes also supported RGB.
Laser calibration

All the best

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

MarioVillager92

@1UP_MARIO Hey thanks for the video, I don't have that voltage equipment so I'll stick with the preservation method, at least for the time being. I went ahead and bought the SD2SP2 chip and a 64 GB microSD card from Amazon. Thanks again for your help!

1UP_MARIO

@MarioLover92 your welcome.

From a Mario fan to a Mario fan

MarioVillager92

@1UP_MARIO Yep, you're totally right. I've been huge into Mario since I was a child!

I'll post here again if I somehow get stumped on that chip installation. The video I posted said it was easy so I shouldn't have a problem.

WoomyNNYes

My gamecube ac adapter has failed.

Very minor issue, I know. Anyone recommend any aftermarket gamecube ac power adapters? Trying to void cheap crap.

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Tendo64

Thought I'd pop in here with a quick GameCube question -

Metroid Prime - is it worth playing on GC in 2021? Granted it's a 2002 game so it'll have shown some age, but overall, worth it?

Despite having a GC, this was one I just never got to at the time.

Been wanting to tick it off the gaming bucket list, but also wanting to know if it's worth taking a punt on the rather expensive price tag it commands these days...

Help appreciated!

Edited on by Tendo64

Switch Friend Code: SW-7976-6692-0199

gcunit

@Tendo64 Buy it, play it, sell it again if it doesn't feel like a keeper. I nearly always advocate playing classic games on their original hardware, and reading the original instruction booklet, at least once.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

glaemay

It's hard to get into the Metroid Prime games. There's nothing like them. If you stop playing them few days and get back to them you forgot everything and you feel lost. That was my personal experience with them. I had to play them everyday until completion or I was lost.

glaemay

kkslider5552000

I'd recommend getting Prime, but that comes from a biased place of both it being my favorite game and also finding it easy or at least reasonable to go back to games far more dated than Prime.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic