Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 441 to 460 of 585

1UP_MARIO

@MarioBrickLayer glad you got it sorted

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

MarioBrickLayer

@Cynas @gcunit I picked up a few Gamecube games, quite happy with them so far, I've put together a list of 35 game from what could be considered the best of lists, I have 15 of them now.

Untitled

Edited on by MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

gcunit

@MarioBrickLayer Very solid pickups, nice work. RE4 was the first game I ever beat on a Nintendo console #memories.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

MarioBrickLayer

@gcunit thanks! I think Warrior Within is probably the least regarded game I've bought, but I want the Prince of Persia trilogy.

You were tight about Paper Mario in a previous post, I'll be lucky to get it for under £100 on ebay. It looks like Twilight Princess will cost me a bit too.

But there are quite a few games which shouldn't be too bad, such as; Sands of Time, MP2: Echoes, Tony Hawk 4, Resident Evil, Eternal Darkness, Splinter Cell, etc.

I picked up Burn Out 2 and PoP WW from one of the links @ThanosReXXX posted on page 15, so i'm looking at sources other than ebay too. thanks @ThanosReXXX !!

I might hold off until next year before going for the Mario sports games, i'd like copies in excellent condition and I want to get an idea of what's going on with sellers on ebay before making loads of purchases.

I like the idea of getting one or two games in mint or sealed condition and framing them, and getting cheap (maybe disk only) copies to play, but that might be a bit expensive and i'd have to pick an iconic game with great artwork - not sure what i'd go for.

MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

@WahooTime I have 19 games so far, some were bought when they were released, I still have my original gamecube, my list is:-

The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker (limited edition with Ocarina of time/Master Quest)
Time Splitters 2
Sonic Adenture 2 Battle
Custom Robo (import)
Pikmin
Super Mario Sunshine
Medal of Honor Frontline
Freedom Fighters
Goldeneye Rogue Agent
Super Monkey Ball
Metroid Prime
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2
Mario Kart Double Dash!! (Includes the Zelda collection)
Kururin Sqiash! (Import)
SSX 3
Prince of Persia Warrior Within
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Resident Evil 4
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

The list of games I want to buy is:-
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Viewtiful Joe, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 4, Resident Evil, Pikmin 2, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, Super Monkey Ball 2, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Ikaruga, The Simpsons Hit and Run, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Mario Smash Football, Mario Power Tennis, Mario Baseball, Beyond Good and Evil, Luigi's Mansion, Prince of Persia The Two Thrones, Wave Race, Geist, Killer 7, Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault.

MarioBrickLayer

Zeldafan79

Since we're on the subject of gamecube i wanted to ask is there a way to get it to look good on an HD TV without spending a pant load? What's the best hookup i could get to have the best picture quality without having to sell one of my lungs? I know i could just emulate through Wii U or use a Wii but i want to do it on my original Gamecube.

Edited on by Zeldafan79

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

kkslider5552000

I need to double check what GCN games I still have someday. I sold quite a bit during that era, which I mostly regret (especially when Gamestop kept giving less and less money for selling games). I know some of the ones I still have but do I still have Sonic games other than the Mega Collection? Do I still have Simpsons Hit and Run? Viewtiful Joe 2? Chibi Robo? No idea!

I do know we rebought Star Wars Bounty Hunter, the first 2 Monkey Ball games and SSX Tricky like...6 or 7 years ago.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

1UP_MARIO

@Zeldafan79 best picture would be componant cable but they are rare and expensive. Carby adapter is the next best thing giving you the same 480p on your tv plus gives you other options like scan lines and more

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

MarioBrickLayer

@WahooTime I know, i'm in no rush, if it takes me 18 months (or longer) that's fine, i'm looking out for good deals!

@Zeldafan79 @1UP_MARIO i'm using a Wii with a Wii2HDMI at the moment (it's not great), I'm thinking about switching to a Hyperkin cable - I think that's a component cable but HDMI??

https://www.hyperkin.com/wii-hd-cable-hyperkin.html

Gamecube + Carby + MClassic seems to be the best you can do but that will cost you £175 if you have the right model of Gamecube already.

@kkslider5552000 Do you collect for other systems?

MarioBrickLayer

porto

GameCube is my favorite console in terms of games. Wii U's a close second.

Edited on by porto

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

MarioBrickLayer

@Apportal What would you say are your top 3 favourite games? Would you recommend any hidden gems or any games not talked about as much?

MarioBrickLayer

porto

@MarioBrickLayer I could always go with the obvious ones like TTYD or Wind Waker, but my favorites have always been the Mario Party series. They're the best on this console IMO.

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

MarioBrickLayer

Des anyone in the UK collect NTSC games rather than PAL? I'm considering a swap so I can get 480p and upscale, really not sure if it's worth and what the availability of games is like. Any input would be great.

MarioBrickLayer

gcunit

@MarioBrickLayer I think YMMV when it comes to cost of individual games. In my experience I've seen anecdotal evidence that some NTSC games are more expensive, but I've also seen the same for some other PAL games.

My PAL collection is based on the fact that that's what I started with, and PAL games are generally much more available than NTSC in the UK. I amassed my collection fairly quickly once I got into it, I wouldn't have had the patience to wait for NTSC versions cropping up.

I don't really pay much attention to the visual differences between the two regions. There are multiple ways around the PAL limitations if they bother you, including using a PAL 'Cube forcing 480p via Swiss for at least some of the games.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TheFrenchiestFry

Recently played Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the first time

Putting the MGS2 mechanics in a game that clearly wasn't designed around them definitely snapped the game in half difficulty wise, and while I think it's serviceable as a reimagining of MGS1, I think it still took too many creative liberties with the direction of the story/cutscenes for me to consider it a good REMAKE of MGS1 the same way I can apply that praise to games like RE2, FFVII Remake, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition or Shadow of the Colossus

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

MarioBrickLayer

@TheFrenchiestFry @slowdrive

I have never played a metal gear game, but recently bought the twin snakes, can't wait to play it! How does it compare to the rest of the series not just the original game?

MarioBrickLayer

TheFrenchiestFry

@MarioBrickLayer Twin Snakes basically brings MGS1 to the same level presentation and gameplay wise as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (which was the most recent MG title at the time of Twin Snakes' release)

Gameplay wise it incorporates gameplay mechanics introduced in MGS2 like first person aiming and the ability to tranquilize enemies with specific handguns instead of only resorting to killing them like in the original MGS1. Another major difference is that now enemies no longer just fade into thin air when you kill them and you actually have to hide the bodies around the facility to avoid security levels being raised. The higher ups at Shadow Moses might even reissue reinforcements to safely guard the areas if they encounter more than one instance where a Geonome solider you killed isn't responding to their intercom messages.

Since it's also a remake in terms of retelling the story, it also features a redone English translation and script which includes re-recorded lines from almost the entire original voice cast of the PS1 game. However the cutscenes are also significantly more stylized and Matrix-esque. The game as a whole just kinda lacks the darker and more sinister, industrial tone of the original game which is why it can be considered slightly inferior.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

@damien33ad I definitely prefer the original to Dark Moon for its more open ended design and superior presentation/atmosphere. I personally am not a fan of the more cartoony ghost designs that have been present in the newer games because I liked the grounded and suspenseful tone the original game conveyed coupled with its amazing visuals and non-linear design.

I've heard LM3 is on par with the original but I have yet to actually play it.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic