Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 504

gcunit

@MarioBrickLayer I think YMMV when it comes to cost of individual games. In my experience I've seen anecdotal evidence that some NTSC games are more expensive, but I've also seen the same for some other PAL games.

My PAL collection is based on the fact that that's what I started with, and PAL games are generally much more available than NTSC in the UK. I amassed my collection fairly quickly once I got into it, I wouldn't have had the patience to wait for NTSC versions cropping up.

I don't really pay much attention to the visual differences between the two regions. There are multiple ways around the PAL limitations if they bother you, including using a PAL 'Cube forcing 480p via Swiss for at least some of the games.

Want in on a family group for cheap NSO membership? Email [email protected]

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

TheFrenchiestFry

Recently played Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the first time

Putting the MGS2 mechanics in a game that clearly wasn't designed around them definitely snapped the game in half difficulty wise, and while I think it's serviceable as a reimagining of MGS1, I think it still took too many creative liberties with the direction of the story/cutscenes for me to consider it a good REMAKE of MGS1 the same way I can apply that praise to games like RE2, FFVII Remake, Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition or Shadow of the Colossus

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Slowdive

@TheFrenchiestFry Agreed. The game looks and sounds really great, but direction-wise it is far and away removed from the classic original. Still, a good game in its own right I think. Writing on Games did a nice (2018) review on it, pointing out the criticisms we both agree on:

You can take me out of the '90s, but not the '90s out of me.

MarioBrickLayer

@TheFrenchiestFry @slowdrive

I have never played a metal gear game, but recently bought the twin snakes, can't wait to play it! How does it compare to the rest of the series not just the original game?

MarioBrickLayer

TheFrenchiestFry

@MarioBrickLayer Twin Snakes basically brings MGS1 to the same level presentation and gameplay wise as Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (which was the most recent MG title at the time of Twin Snakes' release)

Gameplay wise it incorporates gameplay mechanics introduced in MGS2 like first person aiming and the ability to tranquilize enemies with specific handguns instead of only resorting to killing them like in the original MGS1. Another major difference is that now enemies no longer just fade into thin air when you kill them and you actually have to hide the bodies around the facility to avoid security levels being raised. The higher ups at Shadow Moses might even reissue reinforcements to safely guard the areas if they encounter more than one instance where a Geonome solider you killed isn't responding to their intercom messages.

Since it's also a remake in terms of retelling the story, it also features a redone English translation and script which includes re-recorded lines from almost the entire original voice cast of the PS1 game. However the cutscenes are also significantly more stylized and Matrix-esque. The game as a whole just kinda lacks the darker and more sinister, industrial tone of the original game which is why it can be considered slightly inferior.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

damien33ad

The Twin Snakes game is on my radar. I'm going back and playing games from GameCube since I never owned one and right now playing TTYD which is basically as addictive as nicotine and should be illegal. I'm curious how the original Luigi's Mansion holds up to the latest? Does anyone think original was better ?

damien33ad

TheFrenchiestFry

@damien33ad I definitely prefer the original to Dark Moon for its more open ended design and superior presentation/atmosphere. I personally am not a fan of the more cartoony ghost designs that have been present in the newer games because I liked the grounded and suspenseful tone the original game conveyed coupled with its amazing visuals and non-linear design.

I've heard LM3 is on par with the original but I have yet to actually play it.

TheFrenchiestFry

ToadBrigade

@TheFrenchiestFry I 100% agree, and I think the original is better than 3, too. It just handles atmosphere so much better, from the darker lighting to the music to the ghost designs. It may be an extremely short game, but it’s also very replayable (you can go for higher amounts of money earned), and it actually legitimately scared me at some points as a small child😂

Hollow Knight for Smash!

TheFrenchiestFry

@damien33ad Twin Snakes is pretty good. I still prefer the PS1 original for its atmosphere and superior soundtrack but especially if you've played the other PS2 entries in the Solid series it's definitely an underrated gem I don't see a lot of people talk about often.

It's also one of the few M-rated games Miyamoto has worked on so that's kind of funny to me

TheFrenchiestFry

damien33ad

Cool. I will be playing original then. And twin snakes I'll have to try. Excited for Luigi's Mansion now. Still drumming thru TTYD masterpiece though

damien33ad

BongoBongo123

So I just picked up Beyond Good and Evil. Really good condition for £25. Is it really similar to Zelda? Any tips? I'm probably going to start it tonight so I guess I'll find out.

BongoBongo123

Anti-Matter

Is Star Fox Adventures good enough for a 3D Action platformer game like Ratchet & Clank ?

The things i LOVE :
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Eurobeat songs
3. Japan
4. Six pack dudes
5. Cute Chibi looking
6. Boxing & Kickboxing
7. Girly games
8. Life simulation games
9. White & Blue colors
10. Anthro animals

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

TheFrenchiestFry

@Anti-Matter Not even in the same league as either a platformer or Star Fox game.

TheFrenchiestFry

kkslider5552000

I mean, Star Fox Adventures is a Zelda-like game, not a platformer. They both TECHNICALLY have platforming when you move off a cliff of any sort, but no one would call Zelda a platformer, outside of I guess Zelda 2.

It is also not in the same league as Zelda, for the record. It's funny because I actually really liked Adventures a lot back in the day, but I'm pretty confident I would not like it as much if I went back.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

ThanosReXXX

@MarioBrickLayer Hey, glad I could be of some assistance in your search for decently priced GameCube games. I am now wondering what kind of TV you have, though, seeing as I don't know of any modern or semi-modern TV that doesn't have any component inputs. Either way, there's always options for those as well. The Wii2HDMI is okayish, I used to have one as well, but component yields better results and more accurate image proportions and colors, and there's also other options for older connections.

Component cable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-C-1036-HDAV-Component-Cable-N...

Component to HDMI converter:
https://www.amazon.com/Portta-N3CVRHP-Component-Converter-sup...

RCA/AV to HDMI:
https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Suppo...

@BongoBongo123 Tips for Beyond Good & Evil: photograph EVERY little item or creature you come across: you never know when it may come in handy. And congrats on the purchase, it's a wonderfully engrossing and entertaining game, and one of the best (if not THE best) third party adventure games of that generation, in my humble opinion.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Jbarnes101

Hi, everyone. I’m new to this little corner but not new to the GameCube. I sold off all of my games a few years ago to buy a Disney Vacation Club membership. While I love that purchase I regretted getting rid of my 130 game collection but figured I was out. I did hang onto the hardware, controllers, and accessories but had planned on getting rid of them and stupidly traded off my Pokemon GC for a then new Ni No Kuni 2. 🤦🏻‍♂️
However I still have my component cables, drums, Wavebirds, Game Boy Player disc, etc.

Fast forward a bit to finding a complete copy of Super Monkey Ball 2 for a good price. My friend sold me his collection as he’s moved onto the arcade, bought some more stuff from another friend for a good price, and utilized eStarland to trade off some stuff I didn’t need anymore. I’m now back up to 52 games, with a couple duplicates to trade.

As noticed prices on games have grown 2-3x what they were then so it might be a foolish endeavor but I’m taking caution to get things as cheaply as possible. I really wish I had hung onto some of my favorites like Fire Emblem and Chibi-Robo as well as the couple of interactive demo discs I had. acquiring them now is likely not possible due to price. Anyway, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself here from southern Minnesota in the US.

Jbarnes101

ThanosReXXX

@Jbarnes101 Aw, man. That sounds like a real shame. I'd never sell off any hardware for just a club membership, but to each their own, I guess. The two titles you mentioned at the end are some of the most wanted right now, so it's indeed going to cost a pretty penny to get your hands on them now, but as with all State-side members, I do always point out my local go to site, which is Lukie Games. Best value for money in the US, far as I'm concerned. Very solid customer service and warranty as well.

I'd say put them in your favorites list and keep an eye out for discounts and/or reappearing titles.

Here you go:
https://www.lukiegames.com/nintendo-gamecube-games.html

If you set the filter to sort by price from low to high, you'll find that there's actually quite a few titles up for grabs for next to nothing.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Jbarnes101

@ThanosReXXX - thank you for the welcome. Traveling especially to Walt Disney World is a passion -and that sale allowed me to do that every year until 2054. It was hard to give up but worth it. On the other hand I really love the GameCube.
I’ve used Lukie a few times, even had them buy one of my EBay lots once. My go to is eStarland and they offer some nice deals on trade ins. I’ve noticed their quality slipping recently though.m

Does anyone collect Nintendo Power magazines? I had a really nice collection but had to sell most of it to pay bills about 5 years ago. I’m now trying to put together a collection of the GameCube era magazines and strategy guides when I can find them.

Jbarnes101

Tasuki

@Jbarnes101 Just wait a few years and the prices will average out we are starting to see that with NES and SNES games now. Game Cube and that generation are going to climb in prices for a while now because the kids who grew up with that generation of gaming have steady sources of income now and are trying to recapture their youth or rebuy games that they loved but were forced to give up years ago.

Most gamers when they were kids didn't have a steady enough income to be able to afford new games so their only choice was to trade in that copy of their favorite game to get the newest and latest game. Some may didn't have the room for a bunch of games and others just lost them.

Point is once this generation of gamers get their fill, the prices will regulate and stuff thats crazy expensive now won't be then.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic