Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 461 to 480 of 585

TheFrenchiestFry

@damien33ad Twin Snakes is pretty good. I still prefer the PS1 original for its atmosphere and superior soundtrack but especially if you've played the other PS2 entries in the Solid series it's definitely an underrated gem I don't see a lot of people talk about often.

It's also one of the few M-rated games Miyamoto has worked on so that's kind of funny to me

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

BongoBongo123

So I just picked up Beyond Good and Evil. Really good condition for £25. Is it really similar to Zelda? Any tips? I'm probably going to start it tonight so I guess I'll find out.

BongoBongo123

Anti-Matter

Is Star Fox Adventures good enough for a 3D Action platformer game like Ratchet & Clank ?

Anti-Matter

TheFrenchiestFry

@Anti-Matter Not even in the same league as either a platformer or Star Fox game.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

kkslider5552000

I mean, Star Fox Adventures is a Zelda-like game, not a platformer. They both TECHNICALLY have platforming when you move off a cliff of any sort, but no one would call Zelda a platformer, outside of I guess Zelda 2.

It is also not in the same league as Zelda, for the record. It's funny because I actually really liked Adventures a lot back in the day, but I'm pretty confident I would not like it as much if I went back.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

ThanosReXXX

@MarioBrickLayer Hey, glad I could be of some assistance in your search for decently priced GameCube games. I am now wondering what kind of TV you have, though, seeing as I don't know of any modern or semi-modern TV that doesn't have any component inputs. Either way, there's always options for those as well. The Wii2HDMI is okayish, I used to have one as well, but component yields better results and more accurate image proportions and colors, and there's also other options for older connections.

Component cable:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fosmon-C-1036-HDAV-Component-Cable-N...

Component to HDMI converter:
https://www.amazon.com/Portta-N3CVRHP-Component-Converter-sup...

RCA/AV to HDMI:
https://www.amazon.com/GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Suppo...

@BongoBongo123 Tips for Beyond Good & Evil: photograph EVERY little item or creature you come across: you never know when it may come in handy. And congrats on the purchase, it's a wonderfully engrossing and entertaining game, and one of the best (if not THE best) third party adventure games of that generation, in my humble opinion.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Jbarnes101

Hi, everyone. I’m new to this little corner but not new to the GameCube. I sold off all of my games a few years ago to buy a Disney Vacation Club membership. While I love that purchase I regretted getting rid of my 130 game collection but figured I was out. I did hang onto the hardware, controllers, and accessories but had planned on getting rid of them and stupidly traded off my Pokemon GC for a then new Ni No Kuni 2. 🤦🏻‍♂️
However I still have my component cables, drums, Wavebirds, Game Boy Player disc, etc.

Fast forward a bit to finding a complete copy of Super Monkey Ball 2 for a good price. My friend sold me his collection as he’s moved onto the arcade, bought some more stuff from another friend for a good price, and utilized eStarland to trade off some stuff I didn’t need anymore. I’m now back up to 52 games, with a couple duplicates to trade.

As noticed prices on games have grown 2-3x what they were then so it might be a foolish endeavor but I’m taking caution to get things as cheaply as possible. I really wish I had hung onto some of my favorites like Fire Emblem and Chibi-Robo as well as the couple of interactive demo discs I had. acquiring them now is likely not possible due to price. Anyway, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself here from southern Minnesota in the US.

Jbarnes101

ThanosReXXX

@Jbarnes101 Aw, man. That sounds like a real shame. I'd never sell off any hardware for just a club membership, but to each their own, I guess. The two titles you mentioned at the end are some of the most wanted right now, so it's indeed going to cost a pretty penny to get your hands on them now, but as with all State-side members, I do always point out my local go to site, which is Lukie Games. Best value for money in the US, far as I'm concerned. Very solid customer service and warranty as well.

I'd say put them in your favorites list and keep an eye out for discounts and/or reappearing titles.

Here you go:
https://www.lukiegames.com/nintendo-gamecube-games.html

If you set the filter to sort by price from low to high, you'll find that there's actually quite a few titles up for grabs for next to nothing.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Jbarnes101

@ThanosReXXX - thank you for the welcome. Traveling especially to Walt Disney World is a passion -and that sale allowed me to do that every year until 2054. It was hard to give up but worth it. On the other hand I really love the GameCube.
I’ve used Lukie a few times, even had them buy one of my EBay lots once. My go to is eStarland and they offer some nice deals on trade ins. I’ve noticed their quality slipping recently though.m

Does anyone collect Nintendo Power magazines? I had a really nice collection but had to sell most of it to pay bills about 5 years ago. I’m now trying to put together a collection of the GameCube era magazines and strategy guides when I can find them.

Jbarnes101

Tasuki

@Jbarnes101 Just wait a few years and the prices will average out we are starting to see that with NES and SNES games now. Game Cube and that generation are going to climb in prices for a while now because the kids who grew up with that generation of gaming have steady sources of income now and are trying to recapture their youth or rebuy games that they loved but were forced to give up years ago.

Most gamers when they were kids didn't have a steady enough income to be able to afford new games so their only choice was to trade in that copy of their favorite game to get the newest and latest game. Some may didn't have the room for a bunch of games and others just lost them.

Point is once this generation of gamers get their fill, the prices will regulate and stuff thats crazy expensive now won't be then.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

gcunit

Waiting a few years is a valid option, but games that are no longer in production will only get rarer/incur wear and damage over that time. So if you're sure you want original GameCube products there's no time like the present.

But it will probably also be the case that plenty more GameCube era games will get released on newer platforms, so you'll have the option of getting the modernised version (XIII anyone? 😛) and that will help take the edge off GameCube prices too.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ryu_Niiyama

Finally picked up lost kingdoms I and II. I don’t appreciate the price paid but at least they are in my collection now. Gonna hack my extra wiiu this weekend and rip all my GCN games to it so i can finally retire that old soldier.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

kerr9000

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

Finally picked up lost kingdoms I and II. I don’t appreciate the price paid but at least they are in my collection now. Gonna hack my extra wiiu this weekend and rip all my GCN games to it so i can finally retire that old soldier.

How much are they worth now then? I remember playing them back in the day, pretty sure I still have them I loved my cube and didnt get rid of anything for it as far as I can remember oh except I swapped in Gotcha Force as I didnt like it .... Im sure thats worth a tonne now so I proberbly messed up in that regard.

kerr9000

Ryu_Niiyama

@kerr9000 worth? I’d say 40bucks each. What you are really asking is what is the arbitrary value resellers are trending the games at. I paid $175 for both CIB. Both hover around 30 incomplete but are around 50-70 complete depending on condition. The guy I bought them from had both CIB in very good condition (no scratches or damage to the manual or artwork). I couldn’t find them separate that met the same quality. I really hate retro buying.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@Ryu_Niiyama Those prices for the Lost Kingdoms games sound about right, far as the average going rate is concerned. I just checked their price on LukieGames and the two combined would have cost you a bit less, but not by all that much.

As for hacking your Wii U: be sure to use this guide; it's generally known as the best and most complete guide around.

I've also used it, and it's a breeze, although I would advise you to really take the time to read it first, so that you're sure that you won't make any mistakes.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Ryu_Niiyama

@ThanosReXXX I just feel that now that gaming is a lucrative hobby, people try to take advantage. I'm also a fair minded person that feels that at best you shouldn't try to recoup more than what you originally paid (and usually not even that as it is a used product). But that's just me. I know how the world works. That's why I try to buy within a year or two of release now. But some stuff I can't help due to rarity or plainly I was too young during the system's heyday. My oldest "complete" collection (as in I have all the games that I personally care about ) is my N64. My snes and nes collections are paltry as they are childhood systems (well so was the N64 but it was still relevant by the time I got a job and could raid gamestop and retro stores). PS1 and Ps2 collections are somewhat small but that was due to lack of interest in the system. My GCN, Wii, N64, WiiU and 3ds collections are my pride as I have most of the games I've ever wanted to play. That being said I wasn’t a working adult (as in both adult and gainfully employed) until the wiiu era. Aside from a Japanese game or two, I have every game I care about on that system (usually bought day 1)

Yeah I've read over that guide like twice now. Gonna give it another read and snag an eshop card for one of the CFW injector games. Is it sad that I'm more excited about ripping my GCN collection than my wii or wiiu collection? Free HD res upconversion! Thank you for the tip though. Now I gotta figure out where I put my Gamecube adapter...I swear I can't wait till I can afford a house...I really hate having things in storage....

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

ThanosReXXX

@Ryu_Niiyama I don't think it's sad at all, seeing as the GameCube actually had quite a few hidden gems.
I myself own 146 games (if that piqued your interest, you can leaf through them on my profile) and I love pretty much all of them, so I did indeed install them all on an external hard drive, albeit on my Wii, but for the softmod it's pretty much the same, seeing as you're modding the Wii part on the Wii U as well, so it's either GameCube games running on an actual Wii, or on vWii on the Wii U.

A couple of other handy tips:

Just in case you didn't know already, you'll want to use Nintendont as your go to emulator for GameCube on the Wii/Wii U, because it has all kinds of useful and interesting video settings to tinker with, and my personal favorite for USB loaders is Configurable USB Loader, which works with both Wii and GameCube games.

Links for all of those here:

Nintendont:
https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/gam...

Cfg USB Loader (custom version that is the most compatible with GameCube games and Nintendont):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByM9pOA6jBNiMDFtNzlYZ...
Wii/vWii Menu front end:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zu1a0317i5kkp1a/USBLoaderCFG_-_...

If you want, I can also post my configuration file for the USB loader here, to help you out with the settings. Another nice thing about this loader is that you can insert your own music, up to 5 songs, to run in the background while you browse your game selection.

On my mod, I have all the popular Zelda tunes playing in the background, but you can literally put any mp3 in there if you want. I like my menu music to be mellow, though...

Here's a couple of videos and tutorials, also to give you an idea of what to expect once it's all installed and/or up and running:

P.S.

Oh, and you will DEFINITELY also want to check out this link here...
If you want/need an explanation, you'll know where to find me.

P.P.S.

Sorry for the CAPTCHA check on that site. That wasn't there before, so no idea what's up with that. It's still VERY much worth checking out, though...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

gcunit

@Ryu_Niiyama Are you aware you can also 'inject' GameCube games to your Wii U home screen? It takes extra work, but it means each game launches directly from a single button press on the home screen, rather than having to boot USB Loader.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ryu_Niiyama

@gcunit yeah I’m looking at the pros and cons. I just snagged a new external for this so I may wait till next week to so it. Pulling my gamecube games out of storage right now. If y’all hear I died, it’s because a bunch of boxes fell on me.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic