Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 421 to 440 of 446

gcunit

@MarioBrickLayer 'Best of' lists are a great place to start, just because they always tend to make for an engaging read - bite-sized summaries that whet the appetite. I also use metacritic a fair amount to get a sense of the best received games and patterns within the slate of reviewers for a particular game.

I've been consciously growing my GameCube collection for a year or two. But I've reached the point where I have pretty much what I set out to get. I've got about 125 games, 5 different colours of GameCube console and enough controllers to see me through to the end of my days.

The thing with the GameCube is that there's not really much debate about the best games to have. I reckon if 10 people drew up a list of 50 they'd all be broadly similar. Ninfan gave their list back on about Page 13 I think of you wanna check it out. Plus Nintendo Life published the site's top 50 ranking a few months back too. Cynas' post just before mine captures much of the typically considered desirable GameCube games.

What I'd recommend to you is gonna depend on what you've already got and what you're hoping to achieve, and your budget of course, and whether you're looking for CiB or just the discs etc.

But as a Mario fan (I assume, going by your username) you absolutely should make sure you have the 4 Mario sports games - golf, strikers, tennis, baseball (PAL version of this is notably more expensive than the others). Plus you should check out SSX on Tour because you can play as Mario or Luigi.

Paper Mario is pretty much an essential for a Nintendo/Mario/GameCube fan, but a PAL CiB copy will cost a fair amount currently, unless you get lucky. It was a £50-60 game on eBay a year ago (roughly) but currently I'm seeing auctions go to £90-100.

Edited on by gcunit

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Blooper987

Some of The GameCube games I own

Super Mario Sunshine: Overall a pretty good game. I’ll admit it’s not the greatest with repetitive side mission and somewhat janky physics, but it’s still an enjoyable time. FLUDD adds an interesting bit of extra pizzazz that makes it stand out from the others. Delfino Plaza is also a great hub world and most of the levels are really well designed. Sadly though they aren’t very “open-world”. Each separate mission is linear and there’s little crossover between them.

Super Smash Bro’s. Melee: A great fighting game that is fun with friends. Great stage diversity and some of the best single player content in the series. Events, adventure mode, all star mode, character-specific target test. There are a few too many clones and the game isn’t very well balanced, but it is an excellent addition to only GameCube collection.

Paper Mario: TTYD: What can I say that hasn’t been said. Everything but the backtracking is perfect. Perfect characters! Perfect stories! Perfect locations! Perfect battle system! Best game in the series and a must have for Mario fans.

I also have Animal Crossing, Kirby Air Ride, Sonic Adventure DX, and Super Monkey Ball. They’re all great games too but I got tired of writing.

Edited on by Blooper987

Blooper987

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

Anti-Matter

I only have :
1. Harvest Moon Magical Melody. Playing as Girl and getting married with Blue, Basil and Kurt (1 Save data for Not married yet, 3 Save Datas with 3 different husbands).
They are so cute and handsome in Chibi looking. 😍
2. The Sims Bustin' Out. First time played on PS2 version with pirated disc and modded PS2 but now i have the Original disc Gamecube version and played on my Wii. The closest thing i could experience with The Sims 1 PC version on console despite with its limitations.
3. Kao the Kangaroo: Round 2. I bought this game due to Boxing Kangaroo character as i like Boxing. It was very decent 3D platformer like Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

My Favorite Rhythm games
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Pop'n Music
5. Beatmania IIDX
6. MaiMai
7. Taiko no Tatsujin
8. Dance Evolution
9. Sound Voltex
10. Mambo-A-Gogo

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Anti-Matter

@Blooper987
You have TTYD?! 😮
Gimme one to me !

My Favorite Rhythm games
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Pop'n Music
5. Beatmania IIDX
6. MaiMai
7. Taiko no Tatsujin
8. Dance Evolution
9. Sound Voltex
10. Mambo-A-Gogo

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Apportal

@Blooper987 lol I have that sometimes too. I have all this positive energy in writing something but I get halfway through and I realize I'm really lazy... Makes me wonder how NEStalgia has the patience for some of his text walls.

(Only a joke, don't hurt me please)

Apportal

MarioBrickLayer

@Cynas @gcunit Thanks for posting!

My collection at the moment consists of:-
The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker (collectors edition)
Time Splitters 2
Sonic Adenture 2 Battle
Custom Robo
Pikmin
Super Mario Sunshine
Medal of Honor Frontline
Freedom Fighters
Goldeneye Rogue Agent
Super Monkey Ball
Metroid Prime
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron 2
Mario Kart Double Dash!! includes Zelda collection bonus disk)
Kururin Sqiash!

I was going to look for these first:-
Resident Evil 4
Prince of Persia Trilogy
SSX 3
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Star Fox Adventures

Followed by:-
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
Beyond Good & Evil
Luigi's Mansion

I think some on this second list are more expensive, there are some sports PAL exclusives I was going to look for too.

I'm not going to try for a full collection, but i'm thinking a full list of the first party games, "the best of" 3rd party games, some PAL exclusives and one or two more. I have 2 imports, but I'll probably leave that for now, although I think the Japanese cases are great.

I hadn't considered the Simpsons game, I'll take a look at that. Paper Mario is a strange one in that the series hasn't really appealed to me, but I've never played it - a good friend of mine raves about it.

I'm not in a rush, I was mainly going to look at ebay and be strict with what i'm willing to pay based on historic prices etc. But @ThanosReXXX posted some links on page 15 and i'll look at Amazon as suggested by @Ninfan.

Edited on by MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

MarioBrickLayer

I've found a few sellers (ebay and amazon) who are putting games in new cases and resealing them, has anyone had any experience with these? Not sure if it's a good idea or not, I almost certainly wouldn't be keeping them sealed.

MarioBrickLayer

Octane

I have 3 different copies of Wind Waker; the regular one in black, the player's choice edition in grey, and the collector's edition in gold.

@MarioBrickLayer The Pokemon games are pretty good too. Colosseum is still one of the best Pokemon games IMO, so check those out if you like them. Europe missed out on some great games on the Cube, but we have Doshin the Giant. Not worth playing, but if you want to collect some iconic games, this is one of them.

Octane

WoomyNNYes

Octane wrote:

I have 3 different copies of Wind Waker; the regular one in black, the player's choice edition in grey, and the collector's edition in gold.

@Octane Was there anything special about the collectors edition Wind Waker? Or was it just branding? (no change to the game)

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Switch user name: SpaceDandy
Playing: Rocket League, maybe 3D All-stars are or Micro Motor Racing X

1UP_MARIO

@WoomyNNYes it came with ocarina of time and the master quest

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Octane

@WoomyNNYes It came with OOT Master Quest, I believe it was the only way to get it over here.

Octane

WoomyNNYes

@Octane Ohhh Wow!!! I remember being jealous of that edition that came with Ocarina of Time. I remember how sought after that was. Nice!

Edited on by WoomyNNYes

Science liker
Extreme bicycle rider
(Nobody says "extreme". I said it to be silly.)
Switch user name: SpaceDandy
Playing: Rocket League, maybe 3D All-stars are or Micro Motor Racing X

MarioBrickLayer

How does everyone play their Gamecube games? I don't have a CRT so i'm using a Wii with a Wii2HDMI adapter at the moment. I'm thinking about getting a Carby?

MarioBrickLayer

Apportal

@MarioBrickLayer I have the OG Gamecube. I used to play it on the Wii with the Wii2HDMI adapter as you have, but I got tired of switching between that and the Gamecube so I just spent a couple of extra bucks and saved me some trouble.

Apportal

MarioBrickLayer

@Apportal OG Gamecube? Is that a mod? what do you think of the picture quality of the Wii2HDMI adapter compared with other options?

MarioBrickLayer

1UP_MARIO

@MarioBrickLayer just buy componant cables for the Wii. It’s the best picture quality for the wii

It’s cheap aswell compared to official gamecube componant cables

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273883669440

Carby is for the gamecube that supports the digital port.

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic