Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 141 to 160 of 585

Gamecuber

@ThanosReXXX I’ve just checked the hyperkin cable and it states that it doesn’t work with PAL GameCubes (though it will with PAL SNES and N64).

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

‘…I traded it for a Pikachu’

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber I honestly have no idea. I heard about it once, but never researched it myself, which is actually kind of odd, if you know that I do happen to own a VGA box for my Sega Dreamcast...

Concerning UK GameCubes: didn't know that they were different from other versions. I live in the Netherlands, and mine is definitely 480p, and because it's one of the earlier models, I also have both the standard and digital video ports on the back.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber As for the Hyperkin cable not working with PAL consoles: only on SOME models. It clearly says so on the Amazon page I linked to. And that's because it uses the digital port, not the standard video cable port, so if you don't have that second port, then it will indeed be of no use to you.

The only solution left for you then, would be an HDMI mod, which would add an extra port/input to the system, but that's gonna cost quite a bit more, so you'd definitely need to consider that vs the benefits, to see if it's worth it for you, in regards to future-proofing your console(s).

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Gamecuber

@ThanosReXXX yeah, I have the same model. As far as I know the issue with the cube is all PAL games were stripped of 480p. The system can still do 480p itself (so if I used a freeloader and ran a NTSC game through the official component cable it would output 480p.) As it stands even with a cable like the hyperkin it’s more about the convenience of connecting through hdmi.

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

1UP_MARIO

@Gamecuber I know most tv’s here in uk don’t have a s-video I put but that’s when you use a s-video to scart adapter.

http://consolegoods.co.uk/

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber If you put that link in between the "img" command, then it'll post a picture, instead of a link.

It looks like this:

[ img ]http://mods.elotrolado.net/~wip3r/tutos/cube_vga/01.jpg[ / img ]

I had to place spaces in between, so I could show you how it looks, but if you remove all the spaces in between the brackets, then you'll get the picture posted, like so:
Untitled

Gamecuber

@ThanosReXXX I think I see what you’re saying. I was looking on eBay at the same cable, which is where it said in bold ‘will not work with PAL gamecube’. If I understand you correctly, you think it means later model PAL cubes that only have the one port (as obviously there would be nothing to plug into). As I have the older model with both ports I would be able to use the cable.

However that doesn’t solve the problem of PAL games having had 480p support removed when they were manufactured.

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss/Forced_...

Gamecuber

@1UP_MARIO I misunderstood what you meant. Would there be a noticeable difference between that or the official RGB SCART cable I can currently use?

1UP_MARIO

@Gamecuber I think we both misunderstood each other.
I meant the best you can get on a PAL cube without homebrew software is RGB Scart and the best you can get on a PAL Nintendo 64 without modding is a custom s-video cable

Gamecuber

@1UP_MARIO I thought that might be the case. I’ve been looking into this for quite a while myself. Some of these more expensive solutions seem great but the cost plus the small gain if 480p is locked out on PAL games anyway seems to render it a bit pointless.

RGB SCART is fine as it is on a HD tv but on crt is really nice. It should be considering that is how it was intended to be played back in 2002.

Edited on by Gamecuber

1UP_MARIO

@Gamecuber tell you the truth. I’ve tried 480p component on a hdtv through a modded Wii for cube games and gamecube rgb scart on a hdtv and personally I prefer rgb.
Only reason I still own a crt is for the n64.

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber Just watch that third video. It also mentions 480i, so that should lay to rest any worries.
Either way, if you DO have the digital port, then it should be compatible, and should at the very least offer you a clearer picture, and perhaps just as important: far superior sound quality.

The console doesn't need to be outputting 480p for it to be compatible. The only requirement is there being a digital port. And because it's the device attached to the cable that's taking care of the upscaling, the original signal doesn't make much of a difference. All of it is upscaled to 720p regardless.

As for the sentiment concerning how the games "should" be played: ever since the era of those consoles, or actually a bit earlier, starting with the Dreamcast, VGA/480p graphics have been a thing, and seeing as CRT screens only output 240p, you've already got the answer right there. So, Dreamcast, GameCube and PS2 are actually meant to be displayed on higher grade screens, to get the most out of them, but those kinds of screens just weren't available for most (if for any) consumers, because you'd have to have a developer's setup, or a LOT of cash, to get a professional broadcasting monitor, which actually does display at 480p.

Every console predating that generation actually WAS meant to solely be played on a CRT, also because developers took the artifacts of those screens (and the included video connectors) into account, when making their games.

In fact, on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive, it was a specific thing, to create transparencies, dithering, rainbow hues and what not, by means of evoking visual artifacts through the composite cable, by combining specific colors and patterns. Without those artifacts, the games looked decidedly different. To get an idea about those artifacts, simply think of news readers or show hosts/guests wearing the wrong clothes on TV, creating all kinds of artifacts as well.

Here's some info on it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_artifact_colors
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-case-for-comp...

Oh, and those professional broadcasting monitors I mentioned, are truly worth hunting for, so if you can get your hands on one, then you've got what's pretty much the Holy Grail of retro gaming:
https://www.retrorgb.com/rgbmonitors.html
https://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/456719-best-crt-retro-games/

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Gamecuber

@ThanosReXXX that makes sense. So even if PAL games were blocked from 480p by Nintendo at manufacture, the cable (or rather box in the middle) will force a 720p image (I guess because the cube is outputting a digital signal anyway).

I’m aware that crt outputs 240p and older systems look good through it. I do find, however, that the colours really pop on the cube on the crt, and virtual console Wii games look rather good too. Not for a second saying they are as nice as 720p of course, but there is a certain charm (and if I’m honest) nostalgia about how they look.

1UP_MARIO

@ThanosReXXX they really are the holy grail of retro gaming. Would really love one of those bvm tv’s. They are just so expensive and rare to find now

Gamecuber

@1UP_MARIO Sony Trinitron was the one I’ve heard of before. Apparently the best one. Was used for broadcasting and medical equipment.

1UP_MARIO

@Gamecuber correct. They had the consumer ones also the professional ones

Untitled

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber That is true, colors do pop, but I also think they often run and/or bleed. Do love my scan lines, though: that's the default display setting on my NES and SNES Mini now...

So, I kinda do and kinda don't have the nostalgia in that regard, but something about CRT screens that I personally do absolutely miss, is being able to use my light guns with the Dreamcast, because obviously, these aren't compatible with newer screens. That may also be part of the reason why I've come to grow so fond of Wii "light gun" games, because I really, REALLY miss being able to play those on my Dreamcast.

@1UP_MARIO Some are reasonably priced, though. If you look around on eBay or on any specific sites that sell that kind of thing, you could get a decently preserved one for anywhere between 100 - 300, and if you really want the best of the best, then that's absolutely worth the price.

Watch out for the suspiciously cheap priced ones on here, but there are some genuinely good offers in between them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570....

Here's some more info on it and buying guides in video form:

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber If it doesn't have PVM or BVM in the name, then it isn't the right monitor. And as mentioned in the RetroRGB article I linked to, they weren't just manufactured by Sony.

I also forgot to add a video in that comment to you:

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

1UP_MARIO

@ThanosReXXX thanks for the video will check them soon. My life in gaming is a great channel. I think ive watched all their videos multiple times.
That’s how I like to play my nes/Snes mini with scanlines and am hopeful they do release a n64 mini in the future so I can unplug the crt and n64. One day

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic