Forums

Topic: The Official GameCube Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 585

Banjo-

@1UP_MARIO Besides, I think that the N64 is beautiful, it looked retro but elegant back in the day and a small version would be the cutest thing ever!

Banjo-

1UP_MARIO

@BlueOcean It looks like a Ferrari with 4 exhausts at the back and a back bumper with a lifted lip spoiler 😉
Untitled

We need to stop talking about the n64.
This is the gamecube thread and it’s official😉

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Banjo-

@1UP_MARIO Haha true but your answer was worth writing and reading. Nintendo 64 is the most beautiful console ever, I think. I tend to associate one with the other because I use the same RGB SCART cable and CRT TV for both.

Banjo-

Gamecuber

@RedderRugfish my dad still has a similar sized rear projection tv in his study (the old main tv from the lounge before he upgraded). He would never let me use it for games when I visited though, as supposedly the screen can get damaged by playing games on them (is which I thought at the time and still do as nonsense).

@ThanosReXXX I did not notice colour bleed at all with the RGB cable, but definitely through composite. I find RGB pretty sharp (or as sharp as anything can be on a regular crt anyway).

@BlueOcean N64 is an interesting design, but very much stuck in the 90s (nothing wrong with that). Of all my systems though it is the one that suffers the most on modern TVs.

Edited on by Gamecuber

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

‘…I traded it for a Pikachu’

Gamecuber

I will also add about the N64 the fact that the game art is visible when a cartridge is plugged in is nice. At my place it’s usually Goldeneye or Perfect Dark plugged in 🙂

BTW the HD port of Perfect Dark is brilliant on Xbox. Highly recommended.

‘You swapped three different N64 games for Pokemon Stadium? Where’s your pride? Your dignity?!?

Banjo-

@Gamecuber The Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie Xbox ports are also easy to recommend. Rare Replay is a must-have collection for any Nintendo fan although some of them are reluctant to buy a console that doesn't have a Nintendo logo stamped on. Their loss.

I don't have any colour bleeding with my RGB SCART cable either on my modded N64 or on my pure GameCube.

Of course, an unmodified N64 looks bad on a HD screen. You need RGB output or at least S-video (more common in USA) for that. Even on a CRT TV the difference between composite and RGB is huge. The image is much sharper and colours much more accurate.

Banjo-

Gamecuber

@BlueOcean yeah I checked this morning with wind Waker on crt through RGB and (aside from fuzzier edges than hd naturally) the colours were distinct and bright.

Rogue Leader looks great and that has rather muted colours on most stages (baring tatooine and the battle of Endor).

I remember when I got the RGB cable a few years back; I ran billy Hatcher at the giant egg through composite then swapped out for the RGB. Even on an hd tv the difference was night and day.

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber Yeah, I think I got things mixed up a bit. To clarify: in my area, most video consoles in those days, came with a SCART cable, which is also called SCART/RGB cable over here, so to me, SCART is the same as RGB, and although SCART is slightly better than composite, it highly depends on if you have a SCART connector with all the pins active (or present) or not, to give the maximum result that you could get out of it.

On my GameCube, I only ever used the standard cables, with a SCART converter block, so the standard image quality. That's why they look so much better now, being displayed on my modded Wii through component cables.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Gamecuber

@ThanosReXXX that makes sense. The standard AV cable that came with the system was composite with a scart adaptor to connect it to a scart socket (not many TVs I encountered in those days only had a scart socket, a few had a port on the front or side with the yellow image cable and a white port for mono sound). My PS2 came with the same cable (as did my 360 now that I think about it 😁)

Although it could connect through a scart port the image was not RGB. However, most systems had a full RGB cables released which really improves the image. Hilariously an RGB cable on PS2 will give an improved picture for games, but any dvd watched through it is all coloured green to stop people pirating by filming the screen with a camcorder 😂

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber Haha, yeah. That sounds like typical Sony, alright.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Gamecuber

And now for something completely different: does anyone have any unusual GameCube related paraphernalia?

I have focused on games but have a couple of interesting bits. I have an indigo Gameboy player that matches the console. Was released in Japan but used the same boot disc from my original black European model.

I also have a collectors magazine that was released in the UK back in 2002. It has previews of loads of the games and some, er, interesting predictions about how successful the console was going to be...

It originally had a special preview cd attached, which I happened to have back on the day but have long since lost.

Anyone else got anything interesting lying about?

Gamecuber

@RedderRugfish my dad’s rear projection tv dates from about 2004, when I moved out and my folks moved to a new house. It’s huge and I’ve always wanted to plug a system into it. I bet wind waker would look awesome!

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber If by awesome, you mean horribly blown up and washed out, then yeah...
But all kidding aside, I don't really think that any projection type screen does any console justice, especially since either the silvery screen or wall it's projected on, impacts the picture quality.

As for your paraphernalia question, I assume you're not talking about stuff like steering wheels and such, but I do have to mention how good this one is:
Untitled
It's the Mad Catz M2 MicroCon Steering Wheel & Pedals.
This is literally THE steering wheel to own, if you have a GameCube (or Wii).

As for REALLY weird stuff: how about this little beauty, that I also happen to own?
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
It's the Resident Evil Chainsaw controller from Nuby. They also had a PS2 version, which looks completely different. The controllers were released in a limited amount, and each of them had their own, unique blood spatter patterns. If you look up pictures from it online, you'll see that none of them are the same.

Mind you: an absolutely lousy controller, so more of a novelty item for collectors and Resident Evil fans.

I also have another special controller, that mimics the SNES dog bone shape, but with GameCube buttons, which I use in combination with the Game Boy Player:
Untitled
And last, but not least, a so-called soccer mat, that registers motion and translates it to various types of kicks:
Untitled
The GameCube controller plugs into the dongle in the back, so you still control your soccer/football players in a regular fashion, but you can actually swipe your foot over one of the three sensors on the front, to either pass or shoot on the goal, like so:
Untitled

Another crappy controller, by the way, but a still a fun item to own, in some ways...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Maaryotyme

@ThanosReXXX I am blown away. Just wow. That chainsaw controller. Wow. Gonna have to go on YouTube and try and find a video on it.
That really is a conversation starter at any house party

Maaryotyme

ThanosReXXX

@LuigisCube Fun fact: I didn't have any room to display it, so ultimately, I decided to put it on the night stand of my bed, opposite of my side, just to freak out any female visitors...

P.S.

Saved you the trouble of having to search for it, so here's a video for you:

ThanosReXXX

@LuigisCube Haha, as they say: there's no such thing as coincidence...
And you're welcome.

ThanosReXXX

@RedderRugfish Sounds like it's not functioning like it should, because mine works perfectly. Back in the day,
I mainly used it for R:Racing Evolution, and I managed to achieve results with it, far beyond what I was able to achieve with a regular controller, so I haven't got anything negative to say about it, other than maybe the leg supports being a bit cumbersome.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Gamecuber

@ThanosReXXX I remember seeing the chainsaw controller in the shops back in 2005. I also remember thinking ‘well there’s one way to take a perfectly functional controller and make it useless!’

The hori pad is a real rare find these days. Apparently excellent for the Gameboy player. I’ve seen them going for £50+ online. Wish I had discovered it back in the day. Still hoping against hope that I’ll see one going cheap at a retro event (but tbh the guys and gals who set up stall there will doubtlessly know exactly what they’ve got and charge accordingly 😂

ThanosReXXX

@Gamecuber Well, it wasn't entirely useless, and if I remember correctly (have never used it anymore, ever since I upgraded to newer consoles, after the GameCube), it also had a button to make an engine sound, so it really felt like you were holding a chainsaw. And they rearranged the buttons more or less vertically, or diagonally, seeing as you had to hold it in that fashion, as you may have noticed in the video.

As for the Hori Digital Pad: yup, it sure is a very good controller for playing GB/GBA games on the Game Boy Player. Playing them with the regular GameCube controller always felt kinda off to me, so I was pleasantly surprised to find this controller in my local game store, back in the day. They often had these one-off import gadgets, and this was one of them. Wasn't even cheap back then, because of the import charges, but it was definitely worth it, regardless.

The prices that they're going for nowadays, are ridiculous, though. I wasn't even aware that it had become that rare and expensive. Not that I'm ever going to sell it, mind you...

There's a couple of "less expensive" options, if for whatever reason, you'd still want to get your hands on one, and you happen to trip over a bag of money...

https://www.play-asia.com/digital-controller-black/13/7021i
Currently out of stock obviously, but you can subscribe to PlayAsia's newsletter, and get notified if they have it again. And because PlayAsia is a reputable game store, prices might be a bit more lenient.
https://www.estarland.com/product-description/GameCube/GameCu...
The price of the chainsaw controller is dirt cheap in comparison:

Good British web shops for games and hardware to have in your favorites, are these two:
https://consolepassion.co.uk/
https://www.retrogames.co.uk/

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic