Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 8,401 to 8,420 of 11,914

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Nope to what? Only in America, you mean? Well, in that case, maybe only in America and the UK...

I've actually checked several Dutch specialty sites and PC stores that make gaming PC's, and most of them offer normal looking cases. The only difference is far more powerful innards, and some extra cooling, but no flashy crap in all but a handful of offerings. Apparently, the Dutch actually realize that beauty (and power) comes from within, and not from a fancy (or in this case: garish) wrapper...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BruceCM

Lols, something like that, @ThanosReXXX .... Found at least one American site where you can basically build your own PC which has a few designs like mine or with a window in the side, though

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM You know, truth be told, I was actually once interested in such a flashy tower, or building one myself, but that was a long time ago, when tube lighting under cars was still all the rage, and because of which we all played Need for Speed Underground games...

I always had this idea of making a tower with a (plexi)glass panel on the side, and some blue neon tubing,
but I never had the money, time or energy to invest into making it a really good rig. I play too much on consoles,
so I ultimately decided that a full-on gaming PC was just a bit too rich for my blood.

And a good thing as well: a couple of years ago, I bought one of those Afterglow controllers for my PC, and after the initial joy of about 2 minutes faded, I've never even once used it with the light switched on, so PC's and flashy lights is just not my thing, I guess...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

redd214

Witcher 3 will be on GP on the 19th

redd214

ThanosReXXX

I figured it was about time for a small round of videos of the upcoming console, consisting of an IGN guesstimates video, a "10 things you should know" video by Gameranx and a first impression video by Digital Foundry, so enjoy (or skip, if it doesn't interest you):

EDIT:
And for completion's sake, I'll just add this first impression video from Spawn Wave as well, so there's a bit more of a choice of what to watch...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Ralizah

@redd214 So... now they have two consoles just called the "Xbox" (the first one, and now this new one) in addition to the "Xbox One" family?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

redd214

@Ralizah yup just like apple makes the iPad air, iPad mini, iPad pro 11, ipad pro 12 etc etc. Or Samsung with the s10e, s10, s10 plus, s10 active... You get the point. It takes literally seconds to understand, people are making a mountain out of a mole hill imo.

redd214

Ralizah

@redd214 Not really. Those have straightforward naming conventions like the PlayStation consoles. Samsung doesn't go from the Galaxy S to the Galaxy 360 to the Galaxy One / Galaxy One G back to the Galaxy.

How is the confusion difficult to understand?

Edited on by Ralizah

redd214

@Ralizah I find it simple enough , if your confused so be it

redd214

Ralizah

@redd214 Fair enough.

I mean, I'll know what it is, because I go to specialty gaming sites and have helpful folks like you to straighten me out.

But the average person? I'd never guess that the "Xbox" was the upgrade to the Xbox One.

kkslider5552000

Battlefield 1 actually had "1" in the title. And was there for World War 1. And reboots regardless make more sense to market games so that people don't think they're missing out on past games and thus can just start with this new one (that's the idea anyway).

This is for no apparent reason.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Banjo-

@redd214 Yep, that was what I said the other day. The new consoles are called just "Xbox" and whatever comes next specifies the model. That was one of my ideas when thinking what name it would get since "One" had to be ditched. Xbox 4 didn't make sense since it sounded similar to PS4; Xbox 2, Two or 2.0 would have been a better choice. Just "Xbox" is the best choice, in my opinion.

If you're in a shop you're going to see the Xbox One S and X, X is more expensive so that gives you a clue. Next year you're going to see Xbox One Series X as well which will probably be more expensive and, very likely, will be next to the PS5 boxes. I think that everyone will realise that the most expensive consoles are the newest and best.

Edited on by Banjo-

Banjo-

BruceCM

I'll continue to call it Scarlett .... Is that less confusing?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

redd214 wrote:

@Ralizah yup just like apple makes the iPad air, iPad mini, iPad pro 11, ipad pro 12 etc etc. Or Samsung with the s10e, s10, s10 plus, s10 active... You get the point. It takes literally seconds to understand, people are making a mountain out of a mole hill imo.

I fail to see how any of that makes more sense than just calling this the Xbox Two, as they could have. And then continued with the numbers from there, like PS do.

My guess is that they're changing the names in order to adapt to the subscription approach.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Anti-Matter

I called them from the oldest until youngest generation :
1. Xbox
2. Xbox Three Sixty
3. Xbox One
4. Xbox Ex

Anti-Matter

Banjo-

@Dezzy That must be one of the reasons, too. If you can play Xbox games anywhere (consoles, Windows and Android), just call everything Xbox.

Banjo-

NEStalgia

@Ralizah @redd214 I'll second Ralizah's confusion. I'm even in the know and find it confusing. Like WiiU, but worse.

I see what they're trying to do on an intellectual level, but on a branding level it's a disaster. Then again, I'll never understand how Apple can sell the same device without changing the name, ever, even though it has 10 different "generations."

BUT Microsoft already learned the disaster of that naming scheme when they tried to do it with "Surface Pro" (2017 version) and finally decided that was stupid...which it was.) Why they'd try to do XBox (2020 version) after that I will never really understand. I get as a concept what they're trying to do. I just don't think it actually does what they wish it does, and even as a fan it's confusing AF.

Cool as it is, I still think I'll stick with the X for a while and wait for the inevitable "better" model of the new ones in a few years, unless they blow me away with E3 hype.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Zuljaras To make it easier, just think of cars: Ford series One, and now series X, except the Ford is an Xbox. It really IS that simple, so I have to agree with @redd214.

@NEStalgia Shush now, stirring up the pot and all...

@Dezzy The "One" in Xbox One was never meant as an indicator of a number, but as an indicator of it being an "All in One" device, so naming the next Xbox an Xbox Two makes zero sense.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX I feel like this would all make more sense if they could arrange to explain the intentions of each naming scheme they've used, as expressed through interpretative dance.

NEStalgia

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic