Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,421 to 11,440 of 11,736

DarthNocturnal

@Tasuki

Is the ingame radio on? I forget which button flips stations, but I believe it's on the control pad while just driving around. It might be off, or stuck on Groove (which doesn't work anymore).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Dezzy

BlueOcean wrote:

VentureBeat wrote:

This unlocks the framerate, and it enables the Square Enix role-playing game to run right around 60 frames per second on Xbox Series X.

Great, now I just need to hope Square Enix can be bothered to do a Series S patch.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BlueOcean

@Dezzy Oh right, we are talking about Xbox One X games running on Series X. However, Microsoft wants to make this an automatic process so hopefully we'll see the improvements without having to wait for developers to patch their games.

BlueOcean

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

I hope so. It would be great if like 70% of current gen games got an automatic 60fps or 1440p (or 4K) patch just provided by microsoft, and all the developer had to do was sign off on it.

Given that I've now sold my Xbox One S, I'm very much relying on this upcoming console for all the current gen and X360 stuff!

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

The back compat stuff is everything i dreamed of. The previews are glowing. So looking forward to this. I really really hoped the ps5 would do the same upgrades for ps4 games but apparently i was to optimistic. Gotta admit I'm looking forward to playing random old ubisoft games more than hzd and gow.

An i strange buying a ps5 and what i most want to play on it is p5r, an expanded version of a ps3 game?

No idea how so many ps fans are content with what were getting over there. And content with "i love buying games twice!". As though no alternative exists. You could say, well you pick one and that's the one you can afford, but it's literally cheaper to buy both consoles than to keep rebuying your whole library. They need to do better. Glad i bought most of my library on xb, but i kinda saw this coming. Reality is worse than my nightmares about team blue though.

Series x gets my attention in the short run. I'm not twice as nervous something goes wrong with the preorder though.

Also I just realized we need buttons that read "I Paid For SeX!"

@Tasuki yeah, default is groove which was tied i think to that Zune talk life ms music service which died. It was an actual live internet radio station iirc.

NEStalgia

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia @Dezzy I feel similarly. We are getting further enhancements for backwards compatible games (Xbox and Xbox 360) on Series X/S. On both Series X and Series S we are getting Auto HDR, higher resolutions (1440p on Series S, 4K on Series X), double frame rate in some cases and better texture filtering.

Videos are showing maximum performance on Xbox One X games like Final Fantasy XV in Lite mode running at 60fps and Monster Hunter World in performance mode running at 60fps for the first time ever on a console without any kind of optimisation. These games are not enhanced for Series X yet and Digital Foundry confirmed that they are not using next-gen hardware features.

However you look at it, legacy games are going to look, load and perform better than ever on Series X/S at no extra cost and wait until backwards compatible games are enhanced for Series consoles automatically and Xbox One games receive Series X/S updates. All of this free and supporting cross-save and cloud-save. This is Smart Delivery, what some people called just another marketing term for cross-gen.

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed by Trip Wire (Man Eater) and Sega that PS4 and PS5 save files are not compatible:

https://wccftech.com/dont-expect-your-ps4-saves-to-work-on-pl...

https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/mane...

BlueOcean

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean Well, "Smart Delivery" is just another marketing term for cross-gen. This is just how you expect cross gen would work because it's how hardware upgrades have worked on PC since 1995. And considering XBox is literally a Windows box, one would expect that a hardware change from one Windows box to a new Windows box would work like any other change from one Windows Box to a new Windows box. It's not new, that's now it's worked for 25 years.

In order to get "cross gen" so backward as Sony, and even to think in terms of "cross gen" rather than hardware upgrade, you have to have your head so far up your own accessory port you can see space. I'm not sure what kind of odd 1990's console thinking has them thinking in terms of "old generation, new generation, new hardware, totally incompatible" at all. The industry demanded the 8th gen consoles go x86. We all thought we understood that meant "make the consoles into PCs." Microsoft go that memo, though to be fair they have an advantage as the PC OS maker, there. But I can't imagine how Sony somehow misinterpreted "we want consoles to become like PCs" to mean "we want unique generational esoteric hardware built around unique implementations of x86 architecture, so that consoles continue operating in a generational space like they have since the NES!" Publishers hate generations. That's the entire point of the whole architecture shift last gen.....and Sony didn't understand that?!?

I think Sony's gone full Nintendo. Including many of their fans that don't understand any concept beyond individually unique hardware generations, also from only within that bubble. All the arguments about "you don't get a PS5 game because you bought a PS4 game" imply none of these people have seen how hardware upgrades have worked on PC for decades. Sony's company, and core fans are inside their own bubble where consoles work like consoles worked 20 years ago and each piece of hardware is a new adventure. Ironically, unless they turn the ship around, I can see PS5 as Sony's N64....the turning point where third party starts to bail and Sony gets "unique" games for their hardware. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Why have two identical PC clone systems when we can have 3 unique platforms? It can be like Saturn v PSX v N64 all over again! So it could be a long term win versus two machines trying to be the best pseudo-PC. But I see Sony definitely turning inward and becoming more Nintendo-like very quickly.

Looking at the priase so far on XSeX, I see Windows, XBox, and the PC-based streaming services (Stadia, Luna, GeForceNOW, etc, etc) all going the PC route, of being a "platform" where your library is just playable going forward. A game purchase is forever and it upgrades with your hardware (where it can.) And I see Sony and Nintendo each occupying their own individual space with "unique" concept hardware and associated games with some third party support. This generation, unless Sony reverses some stuff NOW, really starts a schism, as I see it, the way N64 and the cartridges did that forces a change in how the companies operate and what their markets are.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

"Smaller Japanese developers like Inti-Creates and NIS seem to be transitioning away from the Playstation brand in the wake of their new content standards."

Nahtendo and XSuX can keep their perverted anime games. I only care about GOOD japanese games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc.

"OK. But, those will likely all be going to PC/Xbox as well. Why buy the weaker console with less support?"

...yeah, OK, but we know Japanese games, even big ones, are niche compared to titans like...

"Like... Fallout? Elder Scrolls? What market is Sony aiming at, exactly? They're losing the weebs. They're also losing big name Western support."

...I buy Playstation consoles for Playstation games.

Edited on by Eel

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

BruceCM

To whom are you replying there, @Ralizah .... ? It's like a conversation but I'm not sure who with!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

Ralizah

@BruceCM Hypothetical Sony person.

It would be really interesting to see people start PRIMARILY buying Playstation consoles for that first-party content and hardware gimmicks.

Edited on by Ralizah

ACTIVELY PLAYING
N/A

DarthNocturnal

@BruceCM

I think it's in response to the "Sony becomes like mid-to-late 90s Nintendo" bit. And the PS5 being their "N64", so to speak.

Hey, I do try to read what I can of text walls.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

BruceCM

Well, we'll have to see what does happen with Elder Scrolls & some others, @Ralizah .... But I suspect your hypothetical person would never be convinced to swap to XBox!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

NEStalgia

@Ralizah ROFL....that paragraph is basically copy and paste from every pushsquare page.

Don't forget "Game Pass is trying to take away our gaems!!!"

Yeah, like I said... Playstation64. The moment where Sony goes full Nintendo and looks inward at its own games...... Third party is probably heading for the exits at record pace. Granted that won't see the full effect until PS6. But at this point, if you want the cheapest console it's XBox, Switch, or streaming. If you want the most powerful console it's XBox. If you wan the versatile console it's Switch. If you want the best value its XBox. Best support and most respect to your library, it's XBox. If you want weeb games it's Switch. Heck, these days maybe Switch or XBox, we'll see. And if you're a developer, gawd dealing with PS5 has got to suck.

If you love the color blue and walking simulators, and want to party like it's Toys R Us in 1999, it's Sony?

Nintendo can get away selling Nintendos for Nintendo games to an extent.....but I don't think Sony can stay as a "first party console" for long. Their games are popular, but not that popular, and while they like to boast big sales numbers they neglect to mention how many of those sales are when they drop prices vs. Nintendo's full price sales.

Really really weird turn of events I didn't see coming a month ago.... PS5 - the Japanese-less weaker console for more money. Play TLoU6 HERE!

NEStalgia

BlueOcean

Smart Delivery is the marketing term for something that should be standard but that isn't. Xbox One and PS4 adopted PC architecture to help developers but now Sony don't embrace backwards compatibility, cross-saves nor cross-buy.

Get ready for the Japanese Japanese-less, censorship-friendly and user-unfriendly PlayStation 5, now with next-gen SDD and last-gen policies and first-party exclusively remastered films simulators. This holiday.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

@BruceCM Hypothetical Sony person.

Lol, were you just arguing against your own imagination?

NEStalgia

I really can't imagine what marketing genius came up with "do whatever the other guy does, but less of it, worse, for more money, and charge for things they don't charge for" as a winning pitch.

NEStalgia

TheFrenchiestFry

@BlueOcean Sony embraced cross buy and cross save well before Microsoft did. They were like the first of the major console manufacturers to do so, and it was a major selling point they wanted to push when marketing how the PS Vita interacted with the PS3 and PS4

I get the whole ire around them not supporting cross platform play until very recently, but them not supporting cross buy and cross save is an easily dispelled myth. It also looks like the whole upgrade program thing is actually at the discretion of the developers and not Sony themselves based on the fact Yakuza 7 on PS5 is so far the only major third party title with no cross save functionality, but games like Watch Dogs Legion, AC Valhalla and Marvel's Avengers all do, and it also extends to first party games like Spider-Man Miles Morales and Sackboy.

I still personally think Sony should make it mandatory and enforce a proper program on all developers since they're doing that already with PS4 games released after a certain date in regards to backwards compatibility

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

BlueOcean

@NEStalgia That's the thing. In 2020, you can clearly see the strong points of Microsoft and Nintendo (that you described above) but you can't really see the strong points of Sony except for... Sony's games, I guess. Atypical huge yet weaker clone, no full backwards compatibility, paid remasters, expensive games, no full cross-save, no free cloud-save...

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm not talking about the past.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Grumblevolcano

@BlueOcean Switch has lost the switching mechanic as a major selling point due to the pandemic so it's pretty much you buy a Switch because you want to play the exclusives at this point.

I was waiting for the Switch version of DOOM Eternal but as time goes on that's seeming increasingly pointless as I pretty much just play docked all the time since lockdown occurred in March.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic