Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,401 to 11,420 of 11,955

BlueOcean

@Dezzy The Fable trailer wasn't generic, it was quite specific. It just wasn't gameplay.

ZeniMax games won't be available on PS5 except for the games that Sony has a contract for. Have you seen any Xbox Game Studios game on PS5 except Minecraft (purchased when it was breaking Tetris's records? Any future Xbox Game Studio with a PS5 reference on the game card or on the website? Why do you think that ZeniMax games will be an exception? Did Microsoft spend $7.5b for making Game Pass games available for purchase on PS5? PS5 could get a service game at best and Switch the odd Xbox game but Microsoft wants people to subscribe to Game Pass for everything else.

@Octane The problem with that is that they are selling two Xbox consoles, Windows games on Microsoft Store and Steam and GP Cloud. I admit that I'm curious to see how many consoles they sell next generation because I prefer consoles over PC and streaming (same as most of us) but the only number that matters now is Game Pass subscriptions.

As a small side note, I want to thank @NEStalgia for being a nice and honest person and for he knows what. You are one of the best members 😉.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

By generic, I didn't mean the game looked generic. Of course the games have a lot of unique character to them. I just meant the trailer was the kind of standard "we have nothing really to show, just do something to get them hyped that vaguely resembles the game"

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

BlueOcean

@Dezzy It showed the art style and humour, much more than I expected for a game that has no release date. I have never seen a similar game trailer but I know what you mean.

BlueOcean

Dezzy

@BlueOcean

Yeah but the thing that worried me is that's the sort of trailer you do when it's still like several years from release. I hope it's not. They did start in later 2017 I think.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I honestly don't think any of the games without a release window will launch before 2022:

• Everwild
  • Avowed
  • Fable
  • State of Decay 3
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Hellblade 2

On another note, I've been looking more at why Bethesda agreed to being bought by Microsoft and it seems that EA's infamous "single player games aren't profitable" quote is the real deal.

Microsoft and Sony's battle for "most powerful console" seems to have essentially made single player games not profitable forcing Bethesda into the GaaS space but Game Pass seems to allow them to return to single player games. I guess this also explains why PS5 games are $70, Sony values single player experiences so to keep that possible they increased game price. It also probably explains why BotW is more expensive than virtually the whole Switch library.

Nintendo's timing of just doing their own thing with the DS/Wii instead of Gamecube 2 "most powerful console" couldn't have been better.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

BlueOcean

@Dezzy It looked like a Pixar trailer. It's so refreshing seeing this and having Fable back. Xbox needs this kind of games and Everwild, Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Piñata and the like. There are tons of RPGs and shooters.

I don't think that development started in 2017 and I don't think that we'll see this game anytime soon but its existence was leaked. As a side note, I think that lots of PS5 games will be "delayed" because the 2021 release date seems wishful thinking.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

I think Everwild probably comes out 2021. Sea of Thieves released in early 2017, and I doubt it's the biggest project in the world, so 4 years development seems about right.

Then Fable was started in late 2017. So maybe christmas 2021 is the best hope. But probably 2022, given that it's an open-world game, and they started a brand new studio to make it.

Avowed is definitely a 2022 at the earliest. Although I wonder given that they've just acquired the Elder Scrolls, whether they'll maybe tell Obsidian it doesn't need to be a Skyrim competitor anymore, and they can just make something a bit smaller.

I bet Starfield comes out in 2021 as well though, so that could be before any of them!

BlueOcean wrote:

I don't think that development started in 2017 and I don't think that we'll see this game anytime soon but its existence was leaked.

They announced plans to open a new studio for it in Feb 2017:
https://www.pcgamer.com/forza-horizon-studio-is-working-on-a-...

Edited on by Dezzy

BlueOcean

@Dezzy Yes but we don't know when they really started working on Fable or when the new studio was created. They have been hiring people recently. Plans to open a new studio for Fable in February 2017, nothing more, nothing less.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy I think Starfield will be 2022/2023, Wolfenstein III is 2024 and then Elder Scrolls VI is like 2026. Early Series X/S era Bethesda I'd guess will be supporting existing games (e.g. DOOM Eternal DLC, Elder Scrolls Online, Fallout 76, Skyrim) and timed PS5 exclusives (e.g. Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@BlueOcean haha, thanks!

@Grumblevolcano I call bs on that. Single player games are profitable, they're just not as profitable as whale driven continuous monitization, low resale, low development cost games. And businesses take the route of the most profitable product, cutting anything that nets less. The idea that doom and skyrim are money losing ventures and this 76 was born is ludicrous, even without the fact that zenis actual mmo has more solo content than 76. And somehow people paying 15/mo for a bunch of content instead of 60 for theirs fixes that? Nah.

As for Sony, Activision and 2k started the $70 ball rolling for their online games before Sony's announcement. It doesn't have anything to do with the cost of single player. I'm not even sure it has anything to do with Sony. I think the industry wanted to move to 70 and Sony was more than happy to help them force that change while they inexplicably felt consumers wouldn't push back despite them knowing 7 years ago 59.99 confirmed woul help them sell. Arrogantly and greedily helping ea/Activision/2k push their margins up.

So no, that's just bull. 70 isn't The Price of single player gaming in 2020, and gamepass isn't helping Bethesda avoid gaas. If they're losing money on single player games, that means they're spending too much money making those games. You don't charge $20 for a tube of toothpaste because you insist on putting real gold flecks in it to make it sparkle.

Besides, Sony and Microsoft didn't drive the hardware graphics arms race, AMD and nvidia did. Developers have to make the fancy games to make use of the ever escalating pc cards, and developers and publishers want console platforms to port their pc games to at parity.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano also elder scrolls online isn't made by Bethesda. It's made by zenimax itself, (which of why it isn't buggy... ) that's a whole separate company. I mean it's also ms now, but none of those other games have anything to do with it. Theres several mmos on their end that exist only in pc and mobile land.

NEStalgia

BlueOcean

@Grumblevolcano I don't know why you always believe the least believable things. The most profitable games in the world are mobile games, those technically simple games that are cleverly designed to get money through in-game purchases. Those games cost little to develop, reach a large audience and suck people's pockets pound by pound. Then you have free-to-play and subscription-based PC games in second place, e.g., Fortnite. Then you have traditional online and single-player games and both kinds earn enough money depending on how many copies they sell and how much money people spend on them. Single-player games are profitable, you don't even need to sell an astonishing amount of copies, ask Remedy. Yes, an online Star Wars game full of in-game purchases could earn a fortune or it could fail miserably.

No point in guessing release dates so early. Microsoft was clever to not announce release dates and avoid delayed games after Halo Infinite. Sony is promising a lot of launch window games and I assure you that most of them will be delayed and one day you'll wake up and see that the 2021 games are 2022 games. Sony's studios are as slow as Rare.

BlueOcean

Dezzy

Grumblevolcano wrote:

and then Elder Scrolls VI is like 2026.

Lol an Elder Scrolls game every 2 generations.

6ch6ris6

Dezzy wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

and then Elder Scrolls VI is like 2026.

Lol an Elder Scrolls game every 2 generations.

III morrowind (xbox)
IV oblivion (xbox360)
V skyrim (xbox 360)
... (xbox one) ESO doesnt count even though its great
VI (series X)

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Dezzy

Loading time comparison. Anywhere from 2.5x to 5x faster than the One X, depending on the game.

DarthNocturnal

I'm gonna love that for Sea of Thieves. Especially in pinch "getting back to the ship, hold on, my teleport load screen is spontaneously taking forever" moments.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

BlueOcean

Checking Xbox, 360 and One games on Series X, loading times could be even faster when games are optimised for the new console.

Venture Beat frame rate tests and more:

https://venturebeat.com/2020/09/28/xbox-series-x-impressions/

VentureBeat wrote:

This unlocks the framerate, and it enables the Square Enix role-playing game to run right around 60 frames per second on Xbox Series X.

Amazed Monster Hunter World player:

Loading Sea of Thieves in 20 seconds:

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/09/how_much_faster_do_xbox...

PureXbox wrote:

As for loading Xbox One games off an external SSD, VentureBeat tested Assassin's Creed Odyssey with impressive results, just slightly slower than the internal SSD (because it's not optimised for Series X) but a standard USB HDD took nearly three times as long.

Ryall wrote:

In theory, the velocity architecture should be 40 times faster than Xbox One X. These will probably still be in decompressed with the CPU rather than the custom hardware. If properly optimised for Series X, none of these titles should take more than three seconds to load.

Edited on by BlueOcean

BlueOcean

Tasuki

I will ask here since this place seems to get more traffic then Pure Xbox. I have been playing Forza Horizon 3 the last few days but I can't seem to find a way to turn the music on in game. I looked under options and nothing. Am I missing something? Hopefully someone can help me here.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

DarthNocturnal

@Tasuki

Is the ingame radio on? I forget which button flips stations, but I believe it's on the control pad while just driving around. It might be off, or stuck on Groove (which doesn't work anymore).

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic