Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,101 to 11,120 of 11,914

Eel

I’ve had my series s for a few days now and I must say I absolutely love the improvements to the quick resume feature.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Dezzy

@Guest88

That's a pretty vague generic-sounding term though. Can we be sure they're all using it to mean the same thing?
If you go on the Stalker 2 website, it really doesn't sound like a timed thing. It sounds like it's just an Xbox game.

@Magonigal

Yeah it was pretty solid. Although having a small standalone campaign like that is not what I'd prefer. I'd prefer if they'd somehow linked it up with the main game in some way.

They really should've just turned that DLC into an entire new spin-off game like Judgement on the 360.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy You could say the same thing about plenty of timed exclusives though like how on the surface it may seem that 3rd party Switch exclusives are fully Switch exclusive and then they all come to PC around a year after the Switch version launch. Octopath Traveler, Daemon X Machina, etc. and will probably even be the case for Bravely Default II.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

With Octopath Traveler, I don't think anyone knew it was timed until they announced the PC release though. That's how I remember it at least.

That's a different situation entirely. I mean no-one would've guessed Horizon Zero Dawn would get a PC release. So that could happen to pretty much anything.

Edited on by Dezzy

Guest88

@Dezzy ” If you go on the Stalker 2 website, it really doesn't sound like a timed thing. It sounds like it's just an Xbox game.”

This is how timed exclusives works. They aren’t suppose to reveal other versions until they reach the xxxx dates.

Edited on by Guest88

Guest88

Dezzy

@Guest88

Maybe in principle. In practice, they often do though. Or at least heavily signal that's what's happening. Games like FF7 Remake or Rise of the Tomb Raider were both incredibly clear about their status as timed exclusives.

BruceCM

Yet they didn't say it's simply a 'console exclusive', which is usually what it'd be called if it definitely wasn't coming to PS5 .... Not sure it makes any difference to you if you're getting the XBox version anyway, though!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Guest88

@Dezzy “ FF7 Remake or Rise of the Tomb Raider“ Square and Sony were very clear FF7R being timed. You remember wrong about Tomb Raider. There was huge backlash because Square and Microsoft was being shady about Tomb Raider being timed.

Guest88

BruceCM

& saying 'console launch ....' instead of just 'console' isn't clear??? Games that are coming to one of the 2 consoles & to PC are simply called console exclusives!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Guest88

@Dezzy this comment from Spencer came after the backlash. Part of the backlash was because they fumbled with messaging with timed exclusive stuff.

Guest88

Dezzy

@Guest88

Ok, but my only point was that people did know ahead of time that it was timed exclusive. I remember knowing that!

BruceCM

I guess you'd really rather get it for PS4/5? Since it wouldn't make any difference if you're getting the XBox version anyway .....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Grumblevolcano

@Dezzy There was backlash both before and after the timed exclusive announcement. Before was because it was exclusive to Xbox (Tomb Raider is more of a Playstation franchise, PS4 exclusivity would've been praised) and after was backlash from the Xbox community because Xbox had very few true exclusives.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

BruceCM wrote:

I guess you'd really rather get it for PS4/5? Since it wouldn't make any difference if you're getting the XBox version anyway .....

Well it makes a difference in terms of the relative value of the console. The more full exclusives the Xbox has, the more its worth as a console, and the more people will inevitably buy it.

Whereas if loads of their exclusives are just 1 year timed exclusives, I'm really not sure how many extra consoles that would sell.

We don't really know yet if Xbox are trying to compete with Sony in terms of total console sales, or if they're just trying to maximize gamepass revenue whilst accepting 2nd place on the hardware front. Could be either!

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Dezzy There was backlash both before and after the timed exclusive announcement.

Lol it's the internet. If you say "Good morning" on twitter, you get a backlash from all of the people who aren't having a good morning.

Edited on by Dezzy

BruceCM

Well, most of Sony's 'exclusives' are only timed ones, too, @Dezzy ....

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@BruceCM

Yeah but they have a lot more momentum at this moment in time, mostly coming from the last gen, and all of the evidence so far suggests people's buying habits pretty much carry over into the new generation until something new happens to change that. So timed exclusives won't hurt Sony as much, relative to Microsoft at this point.

BruceCM

Well, I won't be getting a PS5 precisely due to it's lack of actual exclusives, @Dezzy .... So, it's certainly something I'm glad of! Not so concerned about the XBox side, since almost everything they're getting is also coming to PC, which is where I want it If XBox are concerned about their 'lack' of exclusives, they seem to be able to buy up studios!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@BruceCM

Yeah I just wish they'd bought more studios at a time where their next releases would line up with the start of the generation. Most of their major new acquisitions won't have their first big game for about 2 years from now.

Xbox should've been starting this gen like Nintendo did. With their biggest games from day 1. That sells consoles!

GilbertXI

@Dezzy They most likely did that on purpose so they could cover up the usual beginning of new generation drought with mind-blowing hype.

...and it sure is working on me.

GilbertXI

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic