Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 11,061 to 11,080 of 11,914

jump

When I think of the evils of consumer greed it's more about the the affect of unethical choices like buying products that used child/slave labor, pollution contributing to global warming from choosing ineffective transport methods or the replacement of self identify with brand loyalty and that sort of thing. As opposed to returning a game that has been completed already which is pretty low on the list of the evils of todays world.

I feel like watching Fight Club now.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM Ah, the Atari ST, you mean? Not exactly a PC, but rather a home computer. There's a subtle difference. Either way, I was firmly lodged in the Commodore Amiga camp back then: better graphics...

Most people that I knew that owned an Atari ST were using it for music, because that was one of the things that the Atari ST did better than the Amiga.

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

BruceCM

Yeah, it was pretty good, for the time, @ThanosReXXX .... It did have some games, too, although I don't remember that many of them

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

ThanosReXXX

@BruceCM I still own all of my Amiga computers, three in total: A500/A500+, A1200 and a CD32. And literally thousands of games, on highly sensitive floppy disks. Luckily, I also have CD and hard drive backups...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Eel

Ok so I noticed the Series S went down considerably on Amazon Mexico so we ordered it again!

I’ll now try to forget about it and let it happens before my morality hits again and compels me to cancel it.

So that means the One will graduate to family media unit and replace the PS3 in the living room. Which is honestly ok because it’s our only way to watch 4K Blu-rays, and that’s the only 4K TV in the house.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Magonigal

@Eel
It's worth it and you should keep it! It's much more powerful than you'd think and if you have Game Pass and also attach an external USB drive then you can get quite a few games on there for hardly any cost. I've said it before but you can play Ori and The Will of The Wisps at 4k60 and it looks amazing. Borderlands 3 and Assassins Creed Valhalla both run around 1440p (dynamic resolution) Tetris Effect Connected is excellent

Magonigal

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX There's always the Tengen US NES carts that may or may not have been damaging hardware....

@BruceCM @ThanosReXXX Texas Instruments TI99/A for life!

@Eel Finally your XBox One will fulfill it's original destiny as Dealwithit Donny intended! It will be a Blu-Ray player and DVR pass-through, and could also play fantasy football!

NEStalgia

Eel

Perhaps we could even use it to watch movies bought from the Microsoft store. How fancy!

I'll try to rebut a few of my favorite games as the go on sale. I enjoy gamepass, but I don't really enjoy long-term subscriptions so that would be more of a ocasional treat.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

ThanosReXXX

@Magonigal You're kind of overlooking that he just mentioned that the only 4K TV is situated in the living room, which is the one he will NOT be using, so he won't be reaping the full benefits of those 4K visuals you mentioned. He will probably still have the benefits of super-sampling, but obviously, that's not quite the same as the full effect.

@NEStalgia Ah, yes. The infamous Tengen cartridges. Try and see if you can "day 1" patch those...

Texas Instruments? Ah.. what else could I have expected from a train nerd...

BruceCM

Not sure exactly which ones but I had at least 2 of their calculators & one of them was for A level maths, so it was programmable & drew graphs for you, @NEStalgia .... That's probably a lot later than whichever you're talking about, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Nintendo tried and failed to "day 1 patch" those

@BruceCM Indeed it is. The TI calculators are ubiquitous, but this was their attempt at a home computer back in the day before IBM PC was standardized and cloned - same era as Atari ST, or a bit before it. It was ahead of its time in a lot of ways. Basic graphics abilities - there was a color monitor available but few were sold. It had a floppy drive and a proprietary cartridge slot and it had a games library with an Atari-clone joystick. Late 70's computing, I suppose. The idea of cartridge-based productivity software still seems cool.

TI itself is of course not making home computers, though they're still everywhere and in everything. No doubt even the XSX contains at least some TI-produced chips. They're the biggest analog semiconductor company around.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Ooh, didn't know they made chips now, @NEStalgia.... Glad to hear they are around, though

SW-4357-9287-0699

NEStalgia

@BruceCM Oh, yeah, they're everywhere. I'm not sure about Switch, but 3DS and WiiU even had at least one TI chip. Plus TI owns the ARM architecture so, basically, all phones and Switch net them royalties.

NEStalgia

BruceCM

Cool, that's quite a lot of tech stuff they're still involved with, then, @NEStalgia.... Sounds like they're doing well

SW-4357-9287-0699

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia They probably should have done a "day 1" catch: as in right when they rolled off the belt at the production line. If only they had known. Or did they actually know already, and was it simply more easy to get away with that kind of stuff back then? Only the people involved will know for sure...

Kinda does make for an interesting topic, though, come to think of it.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

Magician

I'm hesitant to get into another live service game at this point in my life, but man alive is PSO2 NG looking good. Makes me want an XSX that much more.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Tasuki

Any suggest for a TV under $300 for my Xbox Series X? Currently I am rockin a 10 year old Vizio Flat screen.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ThanosReXXX

@Tasuki UNDER $300? And you want it to actually be any good? Unless you want a stamp-sized TV, there's not going to be a good one for that prize.

All kidding aside though, that probably means that you're going to have to be looking at budget, lesser-known brands, and in all honesty, that also wouldn't do you yourself any good, in regards to being able to take full advantage of the graphical capabilities of the console itself. The other option would be to choose a better brand but a smaller screen: that way you'll at least be able to stay relatively close to your budget. But even with screens at 43", you'll still be looking at prices of around $350.

Anyways, perhaps this will give you some idea of what the low-end prices for the still recommendable screens are:

And here's the written review of that video, if you prefer to have all the relevant information in written form:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-4k-tvs...

EDIT:

P.S.

The article is actually a bit more current/recent, seeing as the video is from February, while the article was last updated in November, so there are some minor differences here and there.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

ThanosReXXX

@Tasuki Well, then you should be able to find something suitable in that review that I posted.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic