Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,721 to 15,740 of 16,083

Ralizah

@Buizel A lot of AAA games, not all of them. Can't speak to HFW, but the previous game definitely had a problem with uncanny character faces.

I also noticed that element in what Microsoft showed off of Starfield.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

kkslider5552000

As someone who loves RE4, I am much less cynical about the remake then I was when it was announced. Whether it works out at the end, I dunno, and I'm mixed on how similar it seems to the original. It's the thing where statistically significant changes would probably make it worse, but spending a lot of money to play the same game I own but prettier and maybe some minor changes is a terrible use of my money and usually does not interest me.

But regardless, considering FFVIIR parts 2 and 3 are the main thing what will get me to eventually get a PS5, I probably shouldn't be a giant hypocrite that's down on beloved era defining games I grew up on being remade.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

VoidofLight

I'm kind of glad that Final Fantasy XVI is still a next gen exclusive game. It deserves to have a bigger scope, and the product we're seeing now looks super good. If it were released on both this current gen and last gen consoles, then it would probably only hinder the scope of what they're aiming to do. Not to mention, it being on PS5 and not PS4 means that it can take advantage of the PS5's feature set, like the haptic feedback controller, the triggers, and the SSD.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

CJD87

@VoidofLight Yeh snap....
Whilst I certainly wouldn't wish to deprive PS4 owners of being able to play any game, I do think there needs to come a point eventually where developers can truly shine by taking full advantage of 'current' gen technologies - without having to worry about backwards compatibility with previous gen.

Elden Ring is my personal GOTY this year, and I think it is fantastic that PS4/XB1 users got to experience it.... but the visuals were certainly lacking, especially when compared to PS5-specific games like DeS remake / Returnal / Ratchet etc

I suppose though also that poor availability of both XSX/PS5 (especially PS5?) has maybe exacerbated the situation somewhat, and I can imagine that devs might be hesitant in making a current-gen exclusive game in a world where there is a far reduced installed base.

Let's see what 2023 brings, but I think the timing is acceptable for FF16 to be current-gen exclusive and that the scope of this game will lend itself to being PS5-exclsuive.

CJD87

PS5_LOVER21

Just got a ps5 with ghost of tsushima,spider man Miles morales and horizon forbidden west. I'm enjoying them all but I wish Playstation would branch out more from 3rd person linear or open world games. I mean there's forza so yeah.

Edited on by PS5_LOVER21

PS5_LOVER21

Ralizah

The problem with the "cross-gen games are reduced in scope" argument is that it presumes developers held back on more ambitious ideas in order to get said games running on old hardware. But I've yet to see evidence of this happening. In general, cross-gen games are either:

• PS4 projects that have a next-gen version tacked on, likely due to long development times (Elden Ring; Horizon Forbidden West; GoW Ragnarok)
    OR
  • PS5 projects where the developers realize last-gen versions can be added without compromising the experience of the game (GT7; Godfall)

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

@Eagly It's not usually until later in the generation before you start seeing a lot of games that really maximize the potential of a piece of hardware. And that'll be even truer of PS5/XSX, given how much time and money needs to be sunk into demanding AAA games for modern-gen hardware.

At least 2023 is looking pretty for PS5 in terms of next-gen games. Silent Hill 2, FFXVI, FFVII Rebirth, Spider-Man 2, Dead Space remake, etc.

Even Microsoft might get a console exclusive next-gen game at some point. Starfield HAS to be a 2023 release, right? There's no way it's slipping to 2024. That would be ridiculous. laughs nervously

Edited on by Ralizah

Magician

Hot off the disappointment that is Gotham Knights, it sounds as though some of Rocksteady's leadership will be leaving the company at the end of the year. Possibly a warning sign for Suicide Squad Kill the Justice League...?

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/10/rocksteady-studios-co-founder...

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

BruceCM

Haven't played Gotham Knights .... What's so bad about it?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

StarPoint

@BruceCM From what I've heard, it just falls into a lot of trappings from open-world games. About a mile wide, and an inch deep. It tries to remake the greatness of the Arkham games but just ends up feeling like a knockoff.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

jump

@BruceCM It only got a 7/10 rather than a 9/10 so all gamers have declared it as unplayable garbage like all games that don't get perfect scores.

The more hardcore fans don't like it's a loot driven co-op brawler rather than another Arkham game, there's a single player which isn't as fun on your own so the upside down smiles are coming from trying to directly compare it to the Arkham games which were single player focussed in design. As a loot driven brawler it's okay, not amazing but if you're a big Batman fan it will keep you happy as there's some deep cuts in the game.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

BruceCM

Well, I got a discounted key for it, so I'll try it when I don't have anything else to play, @StarPoint & @jump ... While I liked the Arkham games, the selling point for GK is the other characters, so I might still like it enough

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Magician

@jump

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Pizzamorg

Just got to the SPOILER (as the tags never work for me) Dragon Fight END OF SPOILER in my God of War replay in prep for the new one. I forgot how "gamey" this boss fight actually is in practice with you being in that little arena with all the health pickups and you cycling through various mechanics, but the escalation here is so nuts and I just think this moment is so awesome.

Honestly in general, the more I play, the more I am softening to the game. I gave up on trying to be "good" at the game, the combat is not robust enough and the FOV/enemy design stinks. But as you unlock new abilities and new gear and then combine that with a lower difficulty, you can't get the same thrills out of a truly refined, pitch perfect, combat system like in Ghost, but you can just curb stomp everything like an OP God, as Kratos is presented in cutscenes. It also gets you through combat encounters very quickly, and as this is my least favourite part of the game, it is a positive all round to be done with it as soon as possible.

The way the game seems to be constantly expanding, and one upping itself, is really impressive to me. Outside of the Stranger battle the opening hours are a bit of a slog, and there is definitely some constant repetition with puzzle and encounter design throughout, but the scale and beauty of some of the places you visit after those opening hours just needs to be seen and the set pieces that take place within these places is simply breath-taking.

Oh and I also just think the whole Norse mythology but as Dragonball Z thing is just straight cool.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Anti-Matter

Untitled

Valthirian Arc: Hero School Story 2 due to March 2023.
Another indie game from my country Indonesia in physical release. 😃
Yeehaw !

Anti-Matter

Octane

@RR529 Asobi is a very creative team. Too bad Astro is always tied to some promotion game, would love to see what a standalone game with a bigger scale would look like.

I think it's almost a given that they're working on a sequel for PSVR2, so that's something to look forward to at least.

Octane

RR529

Think I'm almost done with Miles Morales. Completed the Prowler boss fight this afternoon & have completed all the side objectives (don't think I'm going to bother getting the best ranking on the holo-training exercises though).

The Holo-Vulrure fight was a fun way to cap all the training exercises, too.

@Octane, yeah, they're almost definitely working on a Rescue Mission 2 for PSVR 2, but agree I'd love to see a "proper" full scale game available to the entire userbase.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

PS5_LOVER21

You know I just finished Ghost of Tsushima, my FAVOURITE GAME EVER

PS5_LOVER21

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic