Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 15,701 to 15,720 of 15,720

Jhena

@Pizzamorg

Glad I am not the only one who thinks the PS 4 Pro is too loud. And I am glad to hear the PS 5 is much less loud. Well the rest sounds pretty good. Especially the controller gimmick sounds very interesting.
I hope you will have a great time with the PS 5.

Edit: I have a question regarding trophies for older games. I know Dark Chronicle has trophies now, but are they only working for the digital version or can I just put the DVD in the PS 5 and unlock the trophies as usual?

Edited on by Jhena

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Magician

God of War Ragnarok is the best looking PS4 game to date.

It's wild to see PS4 entering its 10th year on the market in November.

One of the all-time great platforms, but when will Sony let it fade away?

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 995 games (as of September 23rd, 2022)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Octane

@Pizzamorg I can't recommend Astro Bot enough. That's the best showcase for the new controller IMO.

Octane

Zuljaras

Fallout 4 will get a GOTY - Steelbook Edition in November. I wonder if they would actually put an updated Disc inside or they will do their usual thing and put the basic disc inside

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/05/random-doom-fan-has-a-novel-way-to-display-a-destroyed-switch-cartridge

NeonPizza

Geez, the duel sense is such a hideous looking controller. The off white paired with light black , ugly glowing lights emitting from the sides of the touch pad and having Sonys classic shaped buttons be a shade of grey instead of using the 4 different Color’s was a poor decision. Sony and MS have been making bland sterile looking ‘I’m a pro serious gamer’ colorless plastic for years. XBOX 360 controller gets a pass since it’s reminiscent of the Dreamcast pad 😉

The PS1 and PSOne looked great, but after that it’s been a stale ride ever since.

At least colorware and series x design labs offer color customization. One thing about Nintendo is that their controllers and consoles always scream fun…ahem, with the exception of the OG all black pro controller and grey/black switch joycon combo. And that’s what video games are supposed to be, FUN

Aesthetics aside, functionally, the duel sense is a fantastic controller. The haptics and adaptive triggers are what totally sell it. I think, overall it’s the greatest traditonal controller at this point. Switch pro controller is a little more comfy, but the duel sense has less latency, adaptive triggers, haptics and includes gyro of the same exact quality

Edited on by NeonPizza

"ExcuuuUUUUSE ME, Princess!"
Switch Friend Code: SW-1323-8872-2420
Crystal Pepsi & Noid Domino's Pizza champion.

NeonPizza

@Jhena
My PS5 has been pretty silent. The PS4 pro that I had prior sounded like a darth Vader jet engine 👀

Edited on by NeonPizza

Pizzamorg

NeonPizza wrote:

and includes gyro of the same exact quality

I just discovered this last night. The controller is my favourite part of the PS5 and knowing it has gyro too... just next level stuff. I guess the question though is how many games will make use of it.

NeonPizza wrote:

@Jhena
My PS5 has been pretty silent. The PS4 pro that I had prior sounded like a darth Vader jet engine 👀

Also, you are blessed. Mine is anything but. I had to Google it to make sure I wasn't going mad or that my console isn't busted, but no, it looks like you are just one in a million to have silent PS5.

My @ handle everywhere is Pizzamorg.
My Friend Code is: SW-6997-6872-4381
Switch games currently playing: Cult of the Lamb. Animal Crossing New Horizons.
PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak.

NeonPizza

@Pizzamorg

Forbidden West uses it, but it’s frikkin terrible. Poorly implemented. Devs got it all wrong. It’s a clumsy sluggish mess.

PowerSlave and Quake on the other hand have amazing duel sense gyro controls and the same exact thing applies to the Switch versions, once you properly fine tune them to your liking in the motion gyro settings. They are as good as it gets. Quake is the only retro FPS that got a PS5 upgrade with 4K, 120fps, haptics and adaptive trigger support btw. Yet, I’d still take power slave on switch over the PS5 version because of the additional awesome HD rumble which makes allll the difference.

DOOM(93) and DOOM II have better gyro aiming with the duel sense than the switch versions using a pro controller. Using the yawn setting, they’re faster and more responsive with the DS. And as expected they look noticeably better running on PS5. switch versions De-LETED

DOOM 64 on the other hand has better gyro on Switch plus HD rumble, it’s definitely the superior version.

They also managed to flub Gyro with the DS for Turok 2. Switch pro controller gyro is a tad better but even then it’s poor. However, busting out the joycons and sticking them in the controller grip attachment is in an entirely different league 👀👌 they’re fantastic, but then you’re stuck using those jerky short joycon analog sticks and having to deal with how lousy the switch version looks by comparison.

I still need to test out Duke Nukem 3D once I double dip.

Edited on by NeonPizza

Pizzamorg

When I first started playing Ghost of Tsushima, I was really unsure of it. One of the most common narratives I remember seeing is how this wasn't "like one of those poopy modern AC games, there is no level gating for a start!" and while that is true in a very strict sense (yes there is no 'you need to be x level to do this task'), I feel like this is somewhat of a disingenuous statement.

Vanilla Jin sucks ass. I was roaming around the map thinking there was no level gating and getting absolutely destroyed everywhere I went. Once you've done the opening few missions Jin's arsenal and power expands exponentially and from there Jin becomes basically a God in a matter of hours of open world messing around but for some reason no one talks about those early few hours, even though it is kinda vital to know.

I pushed through, however, and while I'd argue that maybe the game is a little too easy now (yes even for me), it is just so much fun and while its template references many titles, there is something unique about how everything is blended together.

It has extreme, brutal, violence but often this takes place on backdrops of almost supernatural beauty, the PS5 upgrade truly capturing the way this world glows and sings, with its vibrant flowers, atmospheric weather and day night cycles and gorgeous lighting.

The preaching about violence and honour and all that ***** is a little cliche and grows wearisome even in these opening ten or so hours, but other than snide comments from locals, there is no other punishment for just being a badass and I wish more games just let me enjoy being this cool.

Like stealth is actually pretty robust if you want to play that way, even without gyro aiming on the bow with the haptics etc is pretty nice if you use it only on mostly stationary targets for stealth purposes. The animations for a lot of the stealth takedowns are just so wonderfully brutal and things like the Longbow just allow for some ridiculous power fantasy. I tend to use the sticky bombs anyway for the sheer ridiculousness of it, but then lobbing in an explosive arrow to set everyone on fire for good measure is nice too. That is ignoring all the emergent things you can do like disturbing hornets' nests, or spilling fire from lanterns or letting beasts out of cages. You can create a lot of carnage from the shadows if you want to. And I do want to, over and over again.

But it is the full-frontal assault where the game really sings and often in games like this, it feels like you are expected to stealth as much as you can as a full-frontal assault is like playing on hard mode, but here it is just glorious.

Initiate a standoff as Jin shouts something badass like 'Send out your strongest warrior'. Voice raised, but still somehow calm. His cadence, and emotional levels in his speech somehow mirror how he fights.

You immediately slice down the first three guys who rush you. Those remaining pause for a second and then commit. Jin doesn't care, four guys, eight, twelve? He effortlessly glides between a style suited to his enemy. Parrying, weaving, each strike measured and precise. Each style coming with its own rich animations as he swings his sword, his feet and body. Slicing down each foe, one by one, while deflecting arrows like a lightsaber does blaster fire. As the final enemies remain, you strike one down with a Heaven's Strike, just to make sure the remaining few enemies die with fear in their hearts.

The Vengeful Spirit of Tsushima.

(God damn this is my cheesiest post of all time, but I am full UwU guys. This game!!!!)

Edited on by Pizzamorg

PC games currently playing: The Division 2. Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak.

TheJGG

Love your write-up @Pizzamorg, can't say much more than that. Thing I love most about this game is how utterly beautiful it is. The storytelling, music, writing, even the cinematography. It really feels like a movie first and a game second.

Check out my YouTube channel for video game music covers, video essays and more!

Currently playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (NS)

If you use my Friend Code, please tag me first. Thanks!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG | Twitter:

Pizzamorg

TheJGG wrote:

Love your write-up @Pizzamorg, can't say much more than that. Thing I love most about this game is how utterly beautiful it is. The storytelling, music, writing, even the cinematography. It really feels like a movie first and a game second.

100%! It is amazing how cinematic it is able to be, even in messy open world engagements. Like those initial frames when you initiate a standoff, or the duels you have during some of the missions are all incredible, but you can have really cinematic moments just by accident in moment-to-moment gameplay as well. I also just love as the blood cakes onto Jin, or the mud, or the rain, just looking at him as he sheathes his sword, covered in blood. So cool.

I also think it is really cool that there seems to be enough canned shot types to avoid repetition and constantly surprise. Like the camera swooping around from underneath, or like a crane shot looking straight down, or a manipulation of the FOV to get more of the surroundings in the frame around you. I am just constantly in awe of all of it.

Anti-Matter

Untitled

Wow, never expected this cartoon series games will have physical release on PS4. 😯

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

CJD87

@Pizzamorg Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ghost, and similar to you I had a wonderful experience with this game!

I played earlier this year, and was lucky enough to get the Director's Cut version - including the 'Iki Island' expansion DLC.

Ghost is a phenomenal game in so many ways. Its story is actually a relatively simple narrative, but told in such an engaging way - and driven by characters you genuinely begin to care for.

I enjoyed it so much that I pushed for the platinum on the base game, and then went straight into Iki Island. I thought Iki was even better than the main game, and did a great job of fleshing out Jin's backstory and character. Iki Island gave me real 'Resident Evil' vibes at times (in the best way possible!) due to the campy horror style and voodoo antagonist.

A great blueprint for open-world games, and gets much more 'right' than it does 'wrong'. It sits in my top3 open-world alongside BOTW and Elden Ring.

CJD87

Pizzamorg

CJD87 wrote:

@Pizzamorg Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ghost, and similar to you I had a wonderful experience with this game!
I played earlier this year, and was lucky enough to get the Director's Cut version - including the 'Iki Island' expansion DLC.

Ghost is a phenomenal game in so many ways. Its story is actually a relatively simple narrative, but told in such an engaging way - and driven by characters you genuinely begin to care for.

I enjoyed it so much that I pushed for the platinum on the base game, and then went straight into Iki Island. I thought Iki was even better than the main game, and did a great job of fleshing out Jin's backstory and character. Iki Island gave me real 'Resident Evil' vibes at times (in the best way possible!) due to the campy horror style and voodoo antagonist.

A great blueprint for open-world games, and gets much more 'right' than it does 'wrong'. It sits in my top3 open-world alongside BOTW and Elden Ring.

I am pleased you liked it, I thought I was being a bit cringe haha.

I am playing the game through PS Plus, so I believe that includes Iki Island too, right? I haven't unlocked that yet though in my playthrough (not really sure how all that works).

I also only just realised I am only in one third of the map and I am already over 15 hours in. The HLTB timeframe is between 20 to 60 hours, and unless the next two map parts are very light on content, I have no idea how you clear this in 20 hours!

But yeah, I will need to reserve judgement, but if my enjoyment in this portion carries all the way through, this has to go down as one my favourite open world games ever.

CJD87

@Pizzamorg No not cringe at all mate, it is genuinely a really really great game!

Yes I believe it is the 'Director's Cut' version on PS+, so you'll have the pleasure of going to Iki Island
Iki unlocks sometime through 'Act 2' of the main game, but honestly IMO you are best waiting and leaving Iki until after you've beaten the base game for 2 reasons:
1) Open-world games are big, and you might have burn out by the end of Base-Ghost. By leaving Iki on the side, you could play something else different and then return.
2) The enemies are much stronger in Iki, so completing the base game first will allow you to have best gear and skill unlocks.

Ha yeh the HLTB timeframe of 20hrs (!) is ambitious. I got the platinum on the base game in about 60hrs, and then the Iki trophies took another 8-10 hrs. If you just want to smash out the main game, and do a few side quests along the way, I reckon you're looking at 30-35 minimum. Also I played on lethal difficulty, and some camps took me a fair few tries - which obviously increased my play time.

Take your time with it and savour it, this game is one of the reasons I got a PS5!
(nb I added you on PS Online mate, if you see a friend req pop up it will be me)

CJD87

NeonPizza

Is there any way to hide or uninstall the 'Remote Play' & 'Media Gallery' Icons from the PS5's User Interface's installed Game Colletion Library section? Trying to get rid of the excess clutter and just have a streamline selection of digital games.

Plus, the HDMI Console Off/On Link setting is bizarr....Every time i turn my TV Off, my PS5 will turn ON. It's suppose to be the other way around, am I missing something here?

HDR is also a mixed bag, and that applies to both Movies/TV shows and video games. Sometimes it will look better than SDR, which is kind of the goal here. lol...And sometimes, noticeablly worse. Astro's Playroom for example looks miles better in SDR. What i also find weird is that even when selecting 'HDR ON, only when supported' doesn't exactly mean what it says. It still forced SDR content into HDR on YouTube & Netflix...

It just makes things more cumbersome, having to manually dip into the settings and constantly turning it off and on. but it is what it is.

Edited on by NeonPizza

Pizzamorg

CJD87 wrote:

(nb I added you on PS Online mate, if you see a friend req pop up it will be me)

Thanks bud, I accepted it yesterday.

@NeonPizza yeah, the HDR is weird. One of the first things the PS5 got me to do was calibrate HDR, which I did, but it just makes my TV look really washed out? Like for ages I was like 'why is everything so grey?' and then remembered they made me set that HDR thing, once I turned that off, everything looked so much better. Colours are so much more vibrant and solid; everything has better balance and contrast. HDR seems worthless.

Also, I was hoping after more time I would feel better about the user experience of navigating my PS5, but I don't really. Thankfully searching around the internet would show that it is a pretty common complaint, outside of Sony Pony apologists, so maybe Sony will make a better user experience at some point? But with all their recent vaguely anti-consumer moves, maybe not.

Anti-Matter

Untitled

https://www.play-asia.com/windstorm-an-unexpected-arrival/13/...

Looks great for peaceful horse riding game for kids.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

NeonPizza

@Pizzamorg
Even turning the Console off with the Duel Sense has been made more complicated than it need be.
With the Switch, All you do is hold the Controllers Home button and click 'Power off' With the PS5, you click the home button, then you have to navigate down to the power icon, click that, then select Power off from the list of other options.

And i know this sounds silly, but why have the 'Installed' section of games come right after the row of game icons, instead of 'Collection'? The Switch automatically goes to your entire Switch library, with PS5 it goes to the installed selection, where you also can't uninstall or hide or those annoying media icons, then you have to press R1 or something to move on to your game collection section. My inner OCD, is like "What!?" lol first world problems, i know. Plus, as i said before the PS5 turns ON when i turn my TV off, it's supposed to be the other way around. The Switch doesn't have this problem. Plus, HDR forces non-HDR Netflix & YouTube content into HDR even if you select 'Only use HDR when compatible'(whatever it says). How is this still an issue?

As for HDR. I guess it also depends on your TV and HDR settings. Make sure dynamic Contrast in your HDR TV settings is set to off because that can wash the picture out even more. AstroBot's HDR is a bust, SDR looks 1000x greater. Horizon's HDR is less colorful, but the brightness and contrast seem enhanced. Returnal's HDR might actually be better than SDR in ways. It's always a mixed bag.

And i HATE The default PS5 menu ambient music...it's soooo depressing. lol Thankfully you can turn it off and the Key SFX. Was hoping Sony would of dropped some new wallpaper/themes, but we're still stuck with dark spacey background.

Not a fan of the Duel Sense's Aesthetics either. it's such a sterile hideous looking controller. Something about the Lighter Black and Off White-only clashing together, with zero color makes it look incredibly bland and kind of ugly, especially With the glowing Blue & White lights surrounding the touch pad...It's so gross and tacky looking.

Which is why I'm replacing mine with a ColorWare PS1 version, for a whoppin $169 US.
https://d3rb1fnkiuufz4.cloudfront.net/colorware-dualsense-ps5...

Edited on by NeonPizza

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic