Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 12,521 to 12,540 of 16,084

Dezzy

He did just confirm backwards compatible.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

It works like the leak, apparently, where the PS5 will run PS4 games in legacy Pro mode.

Disappointing considering how XSeX will be actively improving some BC games. We'll see: maybe PS5 will get free patches for demanding games.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

MsJubilee

It's too late for everyone to realize this was just a tech presentation, not a hyped-up console reveal people we're hoping for.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations & Watch Dogs 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

NotTelevision

I’ll wait for the inevitable DF breakdown on this tech and how it compares to PC and One X hardware. The 3D audio explanation was pretty interesting.

NotTelevision

redd214

They have my money and I will be there day one, but that was a pretty bad presentation overall.

redd214

Grumblevolcano

Hmm, that stream confirmed "almost all of the top 100 PS4 games will be playable on PS5 at launch" so it sounds more like how Microsoft handled backwards compatibility on XB1 than your normal backwards compatibility approach before current gen.

BC part is 27:00 - 28:25.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

It works like the leak, apparently, where the PS5 will run PS4 games in legacy Pro mode.

That's still an upgrade for those of us on the base PS4 though!

Ralizah

@Dezzy Oh, sure. I'm in the same boat. But after seeing how Microsoft plans to support their own last-gen games with the grunt of the XSeX, I expected more from Sony.

I guess, if nothing else, it's like getting a free PS4 Pro alongside a next gen device.

Not sure I like this talk of it playing "almost all" PS4 games, though.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

MrGawain

What we’ve learned about the PS5 (and the XBX) is their potential. At the moment we don’t know how many games there will be at launch or how much they will greatly differ from what the general punter can see on current gen at the moment. Just because all this tech is here, we don’t really know how much we’ll see of it in those early games. That will come, but none of us can really get excited without a visual demo of a game running on the thing. Seeing that YouTube is all about visuals, it wasn’t the ideal platform to release this information.

I get Sony is trying to sell it’s platform to smaller developers and this press conference wasn’t really for us, but just think how excited XBX fans got just by seeing what shape their new console was. They could have easily just shown a contoller, the shape of the box and maybe Spider Man or TLOU2 running on the thing and people would have been happy.

Isn't it obvious that Falco Lombardi is actually a parrot?

Dezzy

@Ralizah

Yeah I think an important question is whether it runs from PS4 discs or not.

That would mean it's probably most games, just by default. As opposed to the Xbone approach where you need them to actively release support for a game, which means that the really rare and unpopular games are gonna get ignored.

Anti-Matter

Okay....
If PS5 is not really have PS4 BC with all Discs, at least i have PS2 Slim + Fat, PS3 Slim and PS4 Slim hooked onto my TV. 😉
I can play my PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games straightly with their corresponded machines without worrying about PS5 half baked BC.

Anti-Matter

CanisWolfred

If Sony is faster at adding BC than Microsoft, then things might not be so bad. I'll have to wait a minimum of two year to get the PS5 regardless in order to save up, so I'll be watching the rate to see whether or not it'll be worth it. So far Microsoft's new console is looking like the more appealing platform, though, which is surprising to me.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

So looking at the 2 different systems, I think the laymans summary is that the SeriesX is slightly faster at running most things, but the PS5 is wayyy faster at loading things.

Honestly it's hard to say which will end up being the superior console. It'll probably depend on what devs tend to make. If it's another generation of open-world games, then the PS5 will be the superior. If it's a generation of physics games with flashy particle effects, the SeriesX will be superior.

NotTelevision

@Dezzy True. This being the end of the console lifecycle, you are seeing more and more games that push up against the limitations of the hardware. I don’t think Cerny is being genuine in saying that we’ll see the full range of what is capable of this hardware the month it launches. I know developers have time, but my guess is that we will see just enhanced graphics on PS4 gen concepts.

That’s actually fine. The PS4 library took time to distance it’s tech from the PS3. I’m sure there will be cool experiences at launch, but give it a year before we see a game fully optimize and utilize the feature set on offer. Just expect slightly pared back PC games at first.

Edited on by NotTelevision

NotTelevision

NotTelevision

I actually find it interesting that all this emphasis is put on “immersion” and “seemless” loading times, but you already know what’s going to happen. These big open world games are going to have minimal loading, but you’ll still be fiddling around with a clunky map system, inventory, and skill trees.

I don’t understand why that isn’t seen just as immersion breaking as a loading screen. Making the UI just as immersive should hopefully be something devs are giving serious thought as well.

NotTelevision

Octane

@Dezzy I don't see why not. Blu-ray is the only option for them, and therefore it will run PS4 games. Of course, they can't guarantee everything, because digital games get taken down after a while. An update or patch may not be available anymore for an online-only game. But I have no doubt that you can pop in Horizon and play it like you would on PS4.

Octane

iKhan

Well, I'm not worried about the Switch losing relevance anymore. >500 dollars without full backwards compatibility?

That's a hard sell to anyone but the most dedicated of fans. Not to mention that there won't be good games not available on PS4 for at least a year, and there won't be good games targeted at the Japanese market for at least 2 years.

A small part of me was considering a PS5 just because it'd be nice to be able to finally play PS4 games and have a new console. But unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be reality. The games I'd want to play aren't necessarily in the top 100 games.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

link3710

And they still definitely haven't sold me then. I want my library to roll over if I do decide to get a PS5, so they really need to clarify this whole BC thing already. Though admittedly it'll probably be several years before they have a game or games that convince me to buy if I ever do, so the prelaunch info is more to sate my curiosity than sell me on it at this point.

What worries me is that with most games now likely experiencing delays, it's entirely possible it'll be nearly two years before we start seeing decent exclusives on the PS5 if they don't delay the console launch, instead of the one year I was expecting. That's a terrible place for the console to be in terms of picking up momentum.

link3710

iKhan

@CanisWolfred I feel like Sony has been slowly dropping the ball this entire generation. In the games department, they've certainly had gems, but they haven't really developed many games that are distinct from what 3rd parties have been making (e.g. Bloodborne vs. Dark Souls 3, Uncharted vs Tomb Raider). They were slow to jump on cross play. And backwards compatibility continues to be a place they are lagging behind.

Honestly I think this might come back to bite them in the backside in the next generation, especially as Microsoft has been actively acquiring studios that have reputations for making very distinct games. I have a hunch that now, when players are presented a choice of Microsoft's whole back catalog*, all 3rd party multiplats, and whatever crazy thought Tim Schaffer is having, vs Horizon 2 and Bloodborne 2, they might go for the former.

*Which, for the record, also fills in holes in the market, such as Crimson Skies filling the role of flight combat sim.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

RR529

With the BC apparently being limited, I hope that isn't a sign that they're going to drop VR. Most of my PS4 gametime still consists of regular games, but I still pull out my PSVR at least once a week (even if it's just to get in a few rounds of Tetris Effect).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic