Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,961 to 11,980 of 14,932

NEStalgia

@Ralizah With PS4 the negativity hasn't reached critical mass because there's nothing to hang onto it. No hook making it stick. It's still the most popular machine, still very cheap, still with tons of cheap highly regarded games, with still the most used content available, etc. etc. Which is to say, despite the negative vibe appearing, there's no hunt by the masses to find out "what's wrong with it" because everything is ok on the surface. That changes the day PS5 is revealed. Then people go to look for "what's not to like"....they may go in with a price tag induced bias....then they see the existing negativity. Then they amplify that negativity. It won't catch up to them until the damage is ready to be done. Not because the masses care at all about censoring, cross play, or anything else. But because they're looking for something to hate about the new product. And will readily find it when they look.

Yeah, I'm seriously worried about the Olympics in Japan. If Japan overly westernizes the last bastion of any kind of real civilization is gone. While I'm certainly not Japanese and thus would never be accepted there, I also realize I'm in no way part of this "civilzation" either...merely an observer. The idea of it being an empire that touches every corner of the earth short of China is terrifying. It almost makes China look inviting. Almost.

The only up-side is the Japanese are incredibly stubborn. I'm envious. They've even bested me at that.

Yes, I've been saying the same for a long time, MS would be insane to go first....Sony has ALWAYS won by going last. It's their strategy. MS has the "most poweful console" with 1X....they need to be in no rush to go first and can afford to wait Sony out - the first time Sony has had to deal with that.

If they attempt to do the EGS thing that would be....interesting. The alliance between MS and Nintendo would be a major issue for them. MS would easily make big noise about that, and use their clout (and pockets) to keep things open. Never thought I'd be rooting for monopoly Micro$haft as the good guy...but for once they're in that position. However brief it may be (I have to go gag now.)

Of course paying for timed exclusivity only works as long as the payoff is worth it to publishers. And for that to be worth it Sony needs to sell some of their $700 disposable toys.

@EvilLucario Indeed they never got slapped down hard enough....though PS3 was an embarrassment. It's hard to take their spin that PS3 outsold 360 seriously considering they sold it at a mammoth loss for years, plus whatever R&D losses they took on that second Cell they scrapped and bought in with nVidia at the 11th hour, plus reduced software sales in the key period as a result. It only "pulled ahead" when it was selling for peanuts, games were discounted, and X360 was already discontinued while they were still selling budget PS3 Ultra-Slim (made of 100% post-consumer recycled newspapers!) I'm not sure if it counts as a win if your competitor already stopped playing and you're in the bargain bin next to your new actual product.... PS3 hurt them bad enough that they played it super safe with a weak-ish PS4 and didn't sell for a loss. But they do need to be hit harder...might happen this time. They had a weak one-hit wonder from a very disorganized MS at the time, that was split with itself on bailing from the industry. This time they have a very organized and committed MS, with a large spending spree on studio expansion and a new online infrastructure (that Sony may be renting from them?) - Sony seems single mindedly focused on Stadia (for the same reasons they actually thought PS Now was the future even though it wasn't) and seems to be only half paying attention to Microsoft (and their sudden organization, and their probably better than Stadia competitor), and has completely written off Nintendo (pretty folly while Switch gains traction still.)

I agree with the Sony Fanboys thing....they are...they're obnoxious. It makes me embarrassed to own a Playstation. OTOH I think most of the PS4 crowd are the XBox dudebros who jumped ship after XBone reveal, not loyal PS fanboys.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

EvilLucario wrote:

Plus, Sony fanboys are even more insufferable than Nintendo fanboys.

The thing that drives me up a wall about Playstation-centric communities online is their complete unwillingness to recognize the toxic elements in their own communities.

Also, having posted in gaming communities all over the net, I can tell you that, while Nintendo fans generally get lobbed with accusations of behaving in a cult-like way and only buying games put out by Nintendo... in general, I've found that most hardcore Nintendo fans usually own another console. It's not at all uncommon for hardcore Sony fans to ONLY buy Playstation-brand consoles, though, and ignore the competition entirely.

This cult-like behavior extends to problems with games on their consoles as well. If something doesn't run perfectly on a Nintendo system, you hear about it all over the web. It's the end of the world. Same, to a lesser extent, with Xbone versions of games.

Somehow, though, there's a deafening silence when it comes to performance deficits on Playstation consoles. Whether it's games like TW3 running at only 30fps. Whether it's something like the Far Harbor DLC in Fallout 4 having to remove the fog effects from the PS4 version entirely. I could post more examples, but you get the idea: it's suddenly an understandable result of tech limitations when it happens on a Playstation console, even as hardcore ponies run around to other communities making fans of the competition try to feel about about enjoying a 720p version of a game that happens to run at 1080p on the Playstation console.

There was a minor uproar over the censorship thing, but, by and large, they're willing to accept, and oftentimes even support, such moves to avoid the cognitive dissonance that would result from acknowledging that their master was doing something unabashedly bad. Same thing with issues like Sony's recent stubbornness about cross-play: a perfectly valid complaint about one of Sony's policies becomes re-contextualized as an attack on Sony by competitors who want to bring them down. It's not at all uncommon to see people in these communities actually say that they're glad they don't have the ability to play with people on other platforms. It's like the PC master race meme, but real, and COMPLETELY undeserved.

This obviously isn't all Sony fans. Hell, I've been a fan of the Playstation brand for longer than I've been a Nintendo fan. And it's very true that there are problems in online Nintendo communities. But, whatever those problems are, they're generally more severe in Playstation-centric ones, and, worse yet, they go unaddressed.

ACTIVELY PLAYING
Persona 5 Strikers (Switch)
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (Switch)
Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Grumblevolcano

@Ralizah Given 343 stated they're keeping quiet about Halo Infinite until E3 2020, I think it's safe to assume the proper Xbox Scarlett reveal will be at E3 2020. So unless Sony reveals the PS5 at E3 2020, the PS5 reveal will come first.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred I'm not expecting to be head-over-heels for Detroit, but it's interesting, at least. I'm curious to see how it'll turn out. Old sports games, on the other hand, are the most disposable things on Earth after printed encyclopedias in the Age of Wikipedia.

@NEStalgia The endgame of multinational capitalism and unchecked corporate growth has always been the complete destruction of cultural diversity worldwide. In that respect, Japan's fate has been sealed from the beginning. In twenty years, I don't believe there will be a hugely appreciable difference between visiting New York, London, or Tokyo. The only holdouts will be regions held in thrall to religious or political extremism, like North Korea and much of the Middle East.

ACTIVELY PLAYING

NEStalgia

@Ralizah I'm not too convinced Japan will go that way. They've been tied to the west for a long long time. Yet always adopt western things in their own weird way. And the worst chapters in their history have always been due to attempting to adapt Western ideas. It seems to be in their nature to go their own weird way and not quite cave to trends. Maybe it can't hold forever.

That said, I also can't imagine "multinational capitalism and unchecked corporate growth" has much longer to live either. It worked as long as there was room for growth. Otherwise it's just a pretty name for "empire." And bad things tend to happen within empires. I expect full blown open Fascism at a minimum, Communist revolution at a maximum, or dark age collapse/conquest by China somewhere in between.

Honestly the religious and political extremists sound remarkably inviting compared to the bright future of homelessnes and Panera Bread as far as the eye can see.

And I really don't see a $700 PS5 doing well in that climate either.

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Ralizah "This obviously isn't all Sony fans. Hell, I've been a fan of the Playstation brand for longer than I've been a Nintendo fan. And it's very true that there are problems in online Nintendo communities. But, whatever those problems are, they're generally more severe in Playstation-centric ones, and, worse yet, they go unaddressed."

Except Smash. The Smash community is far worse than the Playstation fanbase, right @Octane?

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Oh yeah, I agree. That's why I thought the beginning of this generation was literal dog****. PS4 sucked, Xbox One sucked, Wii U also sucked overall (even if I love the games that DID come out). The only thing that was good overall during that time was the 3DS. Part of why PS4 was good was because the other two options sucked.

@Ralizah Pretty much. Fanboyism is a problem everywhere, but still.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Octane

@NEStalgia I still remember when I suggested that they should cut down the roster to about 30, and focus on new characters instead of the same old ones... *shivers...

Octane

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I think at the least Sony realizes that's why PS4 did so well....which is why this time they feel the need to control content. That combined with their hubris in hardware and their inexplicable fixation on competing against streaming may come back to bite them.

I bought a launch day PS4. I didn't actually USE the console after "new toy month" for at least 2-3 years. It's got more use in the past year than in all the years before it! No way I'd buy a launch PS5. Switch on the other hand was day 1.

After MS's implosion at launch I was all aboard the Sony hype train and mocking MS. But I have to say starting with 1S and Phil's rise they've turned the ship around, and Spencer has brought a really chill vibe to gaming that's been missing. It's very laid back, "whatever", Banjo in Smash, Sure! Want Minecraft? How about Lucky. We'll just show other consoles at our show...no biggie... they just have this easy going foil against Sony's corporate "objective driven market exploitation" strategy they wear on their sleeve. If they both play their roles into the next launch I can see a mass exodus back to 360 era. Then MS will get arrogant again and Sony will claw back fans. (And steal credit cards again....)

NEStalgia

Ralizah

The thing about Smash is that you can only play the "EVERYONE IS HERE!!!" card once. Nintendo doubled down on the scope creep with Ultimate, and it worked beautifully, but where do you go from there?

Personally, all I want from Smash Ultimate now besides more substantive gameplay modes like Smash Run is a full-on encyclopedia that chronicles every single video game character and reference in the game.

ACTIVELY PLAYING

CanisWolfred

@Ralizah I'd be interested in Detroit: Become Human if I...hadn't already watched the entire thing on Youtube one day. Also if it didn't come with Heavy Rain. That's like getting a Mercedes sedan that comes with a free skunk.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

EvilLucario

@CanisWolfred Hey, skunks make for good pets!

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Grumblevolcano

@Octane Pokemon's in the same position that you suggested for Smash, plenty of people's favourite Pokemon will end up being the next pre-Ultimate Pichu (get cut for a few games).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

timleon

I do wonder, with Sony's current approach to being the place for AAA titles and potentially having a $600 PS5...

Do you reckon they will continue to market PS4 as a budget platform for a long as possible, treating PS5 as a high-end alternative for enthusiasts?

We already had a lag this gen where PS3 and 360 were still being supported well into the next generation. With ever diminishing returns on new hardware, it seems the urge to upgrade can only get smaller. Maybe Sony knows something we don't, and expects PS4 to remain dominant over PS5 for a good while, with the latter only getting the most technically ambitious titles?

Edited on by timleon

Previously "Buizel" and "HunterLeon"

Currently playing:
PC: Mass Effect Legendary Edition
Switch: Persona 5 Strikers, Ninja Gaiden Sigma
3DS: Pokemon Gold

Octane

@Buizel I don't think so, but they will definitely push $150-200 PS4 bundles during next year's holiday.

$600 is way too much for the PS5 though. I reckon it's going to be $399, or $499 at most.

Octane

Ralizah

$399 is way too cheap for the rumored tech, and $599... well, I guess we'll see how arrogant Sony really is.

My money is still on $499.

ACTIVELY PLAYING

Grumblevolcano

$599 would just lead to a repeat of E3 2006.

Grumblevolcano

Octane

Grumblevolcano wrote:

$599 would just lead to a repeat of E3 2006.

This. And that's why it won't happen.

Octane

BlueOcean

My bet is $€500 for both Scarlett and PS5 like Xbox One X.

BlueOcean

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic