Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 11,841 to 11,860 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@Ralizah tales is full action though. Battle screen, yes, but it's full 2.5d action... No cooldowns or anything. That said, symphonia felt like s budget title and was a mess. Abyss was much better, but i couldn't get into it...i just got dull somehow to me early on. Vesperia so far is great. I have heard bad things about zesteria...i haven't played it yet but i own it. I've heard berseria is the best since vesperia though (also own but haven't played.). The new one looks truly aaa though.

@Zuljaras if 20 years of ps has taught us anything, it's that the one and only thing we know for sure about ps5 is that it will have tiny slot exhaust vents and a fan made by Dremel.

NEStalgia

WebHead

Based on the given specs and recent rumors be prepared to pay $499.99 USD for PS5. Seems like Sony is not holding back.

Edited on by WebHead

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

redd214

@WebHead pretty much what I'm expecting too and not all that unreasonable. We're probably 18 months out so plenty of time to save!

redd214

WebHead

@CanisWolfred I hope i am too and its $400 but again announced specs and rumors suggest $500. Hardware raytracing, SSD etc are not cheap.

WebHead

RR529

@NEStalgia, Zestiria is good, but doesn't come close to Abyss or Vesperia, IMO.

Gameplay itself is fine (though I have some issues with the finer systems), but it has a much more generic medieval/renaissance style, and rarely any of the towns or dungeons really stand out aesthetically (in fact, a lot of the dungeons, though most of these optional, are just pallet swaps of the same three generic forest, cave, or ruin themes). It does have a fully controllable camera (located behind the main character) as opposed to the pulled out, semi-fixed angle camera in cities & dungeons used in Abyss & Vesperia, and it sort of feels like they're not used to designing locations with this set up, so maybe that's why things feel a bit more generic. I DO however like that the field areas are "real sized" in comparison to your characters/monsters (think Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or DQXI), rather than the old school style used in Abyss & Vesperia where your character proportionally looked like a giant walking around little continents.

Characters themselves feel a bit generic as well, but I've spent enough time with them to like them (though Zevid is a standout).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Octane

@Ralizah The combat is what I liked most about HZD (mind you, not the human encounters, just the machines). Make sure to try the Hunter Trials, combat at its best.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane Yeah, the combat is pretty cool. Sort of like an open world Monster Hunter, especially with how you can sever certain parts to get special items and hunt down smaller creatures along the way.

Hunter Trials... is that where you go to that dude and he gives you different challenges to complete? I did all three challenges for one that involved shooting the bulbs off the backs of robotic deer (grazers, I think). I then tried one that involved luring robots in front of log piles so that the wood could fall out and kill them, and that was the worst thing ever.

So, in a nutshell:

PRO

• Almost every combat encounter is tense and exciting. I like how much detail has gone into combat with the machines, down to you being able to shoot off certain body parts or take advantage of their weakness to a certain element.
  • Putting aside the lack of gyro support, the game controls well. Aloy is responsive all-around, and doing some daring acrobatic stuff in battles quickly became like second nature to me.
  • The map is lovingly detailed and tells you where you can find a bunch of stuff in this game. I always like a robust map system.
  • Side quests are generally pretty high quality.
  • Decent assortment of weapons. Tripcasters, ropecasters, bows, and other equipment all functions fairly uniquely, and it all feels like it has a place in combat.
  • Mounting and riding machines in this game is very fun. Unlike BotW, which features horses that freak out the instant they encounter a bit of uneven level geometry, these machines know how to adapt to changes in the environment effectively. They're also quite fast, and you can call the things from pretty much anywhere, making them more useful than mounts in a lot of games.
  • Hunting animals for materials to upgrade my stuff was a lot of fun in Far Cry 4, and it's even more fun here.
  • While I think it's disgustingly overused in video games, I won't deny how useful the detective mode in this game is. And, hey, at least it's properly explained in-game via a device. TLOU never really explained why Joel was able to see through walls at times.
  • Visually, the environments in this game are some of the most stunning I've ever seen. The detail, lighting, etc. is incredible. Very, very pretty.
  • I really like photo mode. I've abused it more than I should have so far, most likely.

CON

• The human models are realism gone wrong. The animations often don't match well with the dialogue, and many of these people are terrifying looking and fall just off the wrong side of the uncanny valley.
  • Child Aloy is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen in a video game. This required its own bullet point.
  • The climbing is basically the same as it is in Uncharted, and that sucks. Can only scale locations where handholds are graciously placed.
  • The writing so far is... mixed. The plot's structure is pretty obvious and boring at times, and some of the dialogue is disappointing.
  • Luring deer robots in front of piles of logs is as tedious and miserable as it sounds.
  • You can find some stuff, like animals to hunt and materials to collect, but the open world itself is fairly non-interactive, and most of the visual detail is clearly just for show. Aloy never seems to physically get wet when she goes in the water or it starts raining. Precipitation of various sorts don't impact your ability to navigate your environment. Temperature doesn't matter. She never gets tired or hungry or much of anything else. It doesn't really feel like she's inhabiting an actual world.
  • No gyro aiming. Very disappointing when you consider that the DS4 is fully capable of supporting this. PS owners AND game developers need to embrace superior control methods and stop clinging so religiously to a purely dual-stick layout. At least give us the option to enable or disable it. There's a lot of aiming in this game, and it's crying out for the ability to make small, precise movements.

Most of the negatives are small gripes. It's a great game so far. One I think I'll be taking my time with over the year, especially, since I like the gameplay more than the narrative elements.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Octane

@DannyBoi It's around 140W during gameplay (for the launch model and the PS4 slim).

Why the concern by the way?

Octane

redd214

@Ralizah for that particular hunter trial, look up a YouTube guide for it. I remember it was giving me problems but found a guide and it was actually ridiculously simple and effortless.

If anyone is in the market for a Pro, you can get one for $314.99 at Newegg w/ code EMCTBUA42. Perhaps a bit late in the game for most people. UT may help out someone

redd214

Octane

@Ralizah Unpopular opinion, but I do prefer HZD's combat over MH. Maybe that's also why I liked HZD. I want my Monster Hunter to play like that, or Zelda. Combat feels sluggish in MH, but maybe I'm using the wrong weapons.

Yeah, I remember the log thing. You're supposed to scare them off, and then release the logs. But the other ones are more focused on regular combat; some are timed iirc, some are just challenging. There's even one that gives you limited ammo, and you really have to think what arrows you use, what body parts you aim at, etc.

I also think I agree with most of your pros and cons. Though I don't think child Aloy is that bad, I've seen worse faces over the years

I certainly wouldn't mind if they went a little more in-depth with the survival aspects. Certainly weather affecting the gameplay. Maybe that's what they'll do for the inevitable sequel. But I wouldn't mind underwater combat either. I'm also not a fan of how the night looks; it's all very green, and seemingly not dark at all. Very weird. I'd love a pitch black night where you need to equip a torch or fire arrows or something like that. With the robot's eyes as small lights in the darkness as they're hunting you, that would be neat.

Do you have the DLC as well by the way? I personally liked it more than the base game. So you have something to look forward to I think.

Octane

WebHead

I can see Sony holding Ghost of Tsushima back as a crossgen launch title for PS5, as a Plan B in case Horizon 2 can't make it.

WebHead

Ralizah

@Octane Yeah, I bought the Complete Edition for $10, so I should have access to all the content.

Do I need to have completed the main story to start the DLC expansion? And what level would you recommend I be before starting it?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

DannyBoi

@Octane Electricity bill and power usage. Don't want to get a massive electricity bill or anything.

Destiny, justice and retribrution will be mine.

Octane

@Ralizah It's weird. Story-wise it takes place before the final battle. But the DLC is definitely harder than anything in the main game. When you finish the game, it resets to just before the final battle (like any Zelda game), so technically it still fits story-wise if you do it after the main game.

But it's just a minor thing, the DLC stands on its own for the most part. I definitely recommend waiting until you've beaten everything else, cause it makes the main game seem incredibly easy

Octane

Grumblevolcano

MH World Iceborne beta is inbound, just like the base game beta PS+ is required for the first one:

21st June 3am Pacific - 24th June 2:59am Pacific
28th June 3am Pacific - 1st July 2:59am Pacific

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

I played the free weekend for The Division 2. I like what I played. Not enough to spend $40 right now, but certainly $20 come Black Friday. I look forward to November.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,251 games (as of April 24th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dezzy

This week in dumb censorship news:

The good news is that CD Projekt said Sony haven't told them to censor anything about the game (see interview with Yong Yea)

The bad news is that Square Enix said they changed the design of Tifa to make her "more realistic" because their "ethics department" told them to:
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/final-fantasy-vii-remake-director...

I really hope "ethics department" is a mistranslation. I don't want moralistic bureacrats deciding what I can see, in any context, no matter how trivial, and I'm slightly surprised that such a thing would exist at a Japanese developer.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

$500 still sounds really really high for a new launch in 2018 against streaming and the like.

@Dezzy square Enix "ethics"department should probably look into short changing US kh3 ps4 pros, a $300 video game LE, and a a "complete edition" that's not close to complete before they start worrying about Tifas cup size.....,.

Then again her model was fine in kh2,... Why not have used that from the beginning?

Most companies have ethics departments when that big and publicly traded. It sits across from legal. Corporate ethics is to ethics as ethnic cleansing is to cleansing.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

Then again her model was fine in kh2,... Why not have used that from the beginning?

Most companies have ethics departments when that big and publicly traded. It sits across from legal. Corporate ethics is to ethics as ethnic cleansing is to cleansing.

The model in KH2 was super-cartoony and wearing the AC outfit. Not sure they could use that.

And yes I realise these places do have something like an ethics department, but I thought that was concerning real world issues, not fictional depictions. If we seriously go down the line of treating fiction as if it can actually harm people, pretty much everything in the entire entertainment industry will be up for debate to be censored.

Every JRPG in history has endorsed randomly walking into people's homes and searching through their belongings. Get the ethics department on it!

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic