Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,941 to 1,960 of 2,134

JaxonH

Been on an Arkane kick today.

Played some Dishonored on Deck. Low file size, looks and runs great. Sequel and expansion have a lot more kinks and much larger file size. But the first is Golden.

Also played some Deathloop. Shame it doesn't allow mouse movement and controller input simultaneously. Thankfully there was a KB/M community config so I could get my gyro aiming working.

It feels so good to play with gyro. But... that's always the case for FPS with gyro, I suppose.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

1440p, 100ish FPS with Gsync and Vsync enabled through your card rather than game, with a mix of medium, high and ultra settings to make sure your framerate stays stable is my sweet spot.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

If you've got a SteamDeck, you've gotta install Decky

It adds an extra option in the Quick Access menu, a little plug icon, and you have a little "storefront" icon you can select to download all kinds of plug-ins.

I downloaded one that adds the Proton-db rating for every game in my library. And if I select it, it takes me to the game's page on Proton-DB so I can easily see the Proton version and settings ppl are using to get it to run best

Installed another one that lets you easily replace all 5 artworks for a game- the grid icon, the banner, the wide banner (for "last played"), the logo and the icon. SUPER useful for PrimeHack and other games where the artwork is landscape in the grid view.

Installed another one that adds game info from GameDB for non-Steam games, so things like PrimeHack have a description under Info in my game library

Installed another that lets you download custom themes

Installed another that lets you download custom music and sound effects. I got Wii Menu sound effects and music, Switch sound effects, Wii U sound effects and music, PS4 sound effects and music, PS5 sound effects and music, Vita music pack, even a Fire Emblem Awakening sound effects pack, a Persona 4 and Persona 5 sound effects pack, Nier Automata sound effects pack... it's freakin rad!

I ultimately disabled the music but enabled sound effects for the Wii. It also has separate volume control for the music and sound effects so you can set it how loud you want vs total system volume.

I really like the Switch sound effects as it makes Deck feel like a Switch, but the Wii sound effects are just so good. Had to go with that on a lower volume.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

This video is absolutely crucial information. Steam Input is the most powerful practical tool anyone can use in all of PC gaming.

This video explains how to use Action Layers, Extra Commands and Sub-Commands via Steam Input on Deck.

For example. Let's say I'm playing an FPS like Call of Duty or TPS like Sniper Elite 5. And I obviously want to use gyro aiming. I get my sensitivity dialed in just right. But then, when I'm using a gun with a scope, because it's zoomed in, the gyro is too sensitive. And if I lower it, it'll be too slow for guns that don't zoom.

What you can do is

1) Create an Action Layer. This is an alternate control layout that mirrors your default control layout, except it can add extra inputs and changes on top of it. In this Action Layer, lower gyroscope mouse sensitivity to half the normal value your default layout uses.

2) Create a sub-command for Left Trigger. A sub-command is an extra input mapped to a button. Map the sub-command to the Action Layer created. Set it to "Hold" so the Action Layer is only activated while Left Trigger is being held.

3) Done. Now, when holding LT to zoom in with a scope, the gyro sensitivity is reduced to be more appropriate.

You can also add multiple "Extra Commands" for buttons. Can easily turn 4 face buttons into 12 different inputs by mapping 2 additional "Extra Commands" to each button. Original mapping is just for a single press. Then map the first "Extra Command" to a double press, and map the second "Extra Command" to a button hold. That gets you 3 separate input Commands per button.

Obviously this applies for Steam in general, not just on SteamDeck.

JaxonH

Oh my gosh. You can even get Quick Resume on SteamDeck now!

Using another Decky plug-in called "Pause Games", you can suspend/resume games manually or automatically when putting the system in sleep or just switching windows to another game.

It's recommended to increase your page file size from 1 to 32 GB if you want to have enough space for swapping between multiple big games. So I'm moving MH World off internal storage to microSD to have enough space to increase the page file with Cryotools.

Another benefit is, even without increasing page file size, just using the "Pause Game" plug-in can fix the oft-reported audio issues (crackling or audio cut-out) when waking from sleep mode that many games have. So it's worth at least doing that. No reason not to. Plus it lets you pause games that don't have a pause, like Elden Ring or Dark Souls.

Edited on by JaxonH

RR529

Not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask this, but I can't get PCSX2 (PS2 emulator) to run.

It says I need to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015-2022 in order to run it, which I did, but after restarting my computer (it needs to be restarted after installing it) and trying to run PCSX2 it says the Redistributable needs repaired, which I do & says the instillation is successful however I need to restart the computer again, and this just goes on & on in a loop.

Even after completely uninstalling the Redistributable and trying to install it from scratch, things ultimately end up in this loop again.

I'm not tech savvy with this stuff, so any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

JaxonH

Wow. I'm actually enjoying God of War!

It had a memory leak on SteamDeck and would crash, and also doesn't allow mouse input simultaneously with controller which makes gyro aiming a pain, as "mouse-like joystick" just isn't good enough in Steam and feels wonky. It's always been why I can't get into the game.

But the page file increase to 16GB and VRAM increase in BIOS from 1GB to 4GB gives performance increase in many games and solves the crashing in GoW.

Then I followed a settings recommendation, and downloaded a user config that uses an Action Layer with KB/M controls when holding Left Trigger to map real mouse gyro, then it goes back to button controls when you let go.

So now I can play the game with true mouse gyro, without crashing, with optimal performance settings and the VibrantDeck plug-in making it look closer to OLED... muah!

See, the game was just actively going out of its way to be not enjoyable. But I've found a way to get around all its no-fun zone booby traps.

@RR529
I don't typically emulate much anymore aside from PrimeHack and in years past, Dolphin and PPSSPP.

Per a help forum,

I'd first make sure Windows is completely up to date, and ensure you're using Windows 10 or newer. Then make sure the Emulator is the most recent stable build. Then I'd delete all .ini files in the pcsx2 folder, re-run pcsx2 and when it asks you select language as "system default"

Edited on by JaxonH

RR529

@JaxonH, yeah, I was trying to use the "Nightly" build (as that's what the PCSX2 site recommended), but after trying again & again with no luck I decided to install the "Stable" build and the problem never showed up again.

Took me a bit to set everything up, but it looks like things are finally going a bit smoothly.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

So I was having some headaches with my GPU fan ramping up and down rapidly to the point where I didn't really want to play any intensive games. Especially now I'm sitting closer to my PC, not doing much VR ATM and it's summer here so it's much easier to reach those higher temps.

After some googling and being super annoyed at MSI/ASUS' tools I stumbled across this tool:
https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases

I don't know why I didn't know about this tool earlier. Basically it allows you to have far more control over your fan curve. Not only setting the fan curve but also the ramp up/ramp down speed and allowing you to set case fans to ramp up/down based on GPU temps, CPU temp, system temps or whatever combination of them you want. Highly recommended

Edit: at least it would be useful if my GPU fan didn't have a mind of its own and didn't just do whatever the hell it wanted

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Pizzamorg

@skywake you should be able to control that via BIOS directly through your motherboard.

JaxonH

I present to you... the ultimate SteamDeck.

Lightest in the world offering 2.5 - 5 hrs for the heaviest AAA games. And I centered the battery in such a way that it feels even lighter than it should thanks to the well placed center of mass.

Best part about Deckmate (aside from also storing microSD cards) is that I can easily pop the battery off and use a kickstand.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

skywake

Still having my GPU fan ramp up to 100% despite limiting it. Seems something else is telling it to scream at me. Can't work out what so I've given up and decided the solution is to just cap the framerate/resolution to something well under the reach of my GPU.......

JaxonH

@skywake
Potential solutions...

1) MSI Dragon Center (its what I use)
2) Soundproof by putting in another room and run HDMI
3) Use quality headphones to block out the noise
4) Run at 1440p 60fps instead of 4k 60fps
5) Watercool the GPU

Idk, just throwing some ideas to provide inspiration.

skywake

@JaxonH
Yeah, I suspect the reason it didn't use to bother me is because I used to play with headphones and it was in a pretty "sound optimised" case. Then I was mostly using it for VR. Now it's in a high airflow case and I'm using speakers. Water cooling or some other after market GPU cooling option? Seems viable. Although it does feel a bit odd to do that given its a 1660Ti...... another option might be to plug the GPU fan into a motherboard fan header

There's definitely something else giving it instructions on what the fan speed should be. My best guess is that most of the fan software out there gives software level instructions and there's some firmware level stuff overriding it. I'll give that MSI software a go although I'm not super confident it'll do much for me. In the meantime I've set Horizon Zero Dawn to 1080p ultra which I can get ~80fps, then put a framerate limit of 50

Pizzamorg

Basically the one positive with being home now is I finally got to try Midnight Suns. Sadly, the one positive actually isn't really that positive at all? I dunno, I only played like an hour and I hear this is like a 50ish hour affair so maybe I'm completely off, but that first hour really doesn't leave the best impression, I know that much.

After playing nothing but Switch games for over a month, I initially thought this game looked really nice, but the longer I looked at it the more it just looks kinda weird and cheap. It runs really bad, and I have no idea if that is the game or me. I remember there being some concerns raised around performance on launch, but I figured that would have been fixed by now. I guess they are either fixed, so this is on my end, or they aren't fixed and the warning sirens should be going off.

The writing and performances are holy ***** bad. There is a lot to be said about how many Marvel adaptations try to do weird imitations of the MCU versions of characters, and it just always feels kinda like a poor man's. Well this feels like they are doing imitations of some Marvel XXX parody, it is that level of acting.

I heard the one saving grace is the combat, but I dunno if I even like that? They certainly capture the essence of different heroes and the essence of a battle between superheroes and villains. I am also looking forward to when I can start messing around with each heroes deck. But that first hour really doesn't give you much to really get that excited about.

I've been playing so much Three Houses over the last couple of weeks, and just like the combat in that game (difficulty tuning aside), is just so damn good. The game always provides you so much information to make every decision feel informed. It is really intuitive to use everything. And the presentation is top notch. This isn't really any of those things.

Maybe once I unlock better cards this will change, but the card system here just feels weirdly limiting rather than anything else. Marvel Snap is weirdly a way more interesting Marvel based card game than this manages to be. There is clunky jankiness to a lot of the animations (and it is stuttering and chugging the whole time) and a lot of the animations are canned, so you are seeing the same animation over and over again. At least Three Houses offers a couple of variants of moves to offset this a little. Arenas are weirdly small and there are times where the game just like doesn't let me move a unit or activate an environment event or whatever but doesn't make clear why.

I dunno man.

HotGoomba

I basically got a PC for Boneworks.

Was it worth it? Yes.
Is the game fun? Also yes.
Is it some of the most painful, stressful, aggrevating games I've ever played? Absolutely.

So um can't wait to play Bonelab.

The link on my profile got even worse.

Don't click on it.

Or you can, at your own risk.

Pizzamorg

I played a bunch more Midnight Suns and I am kinda coming around to it. I think combat can be unnecessarily frustrating, there is enough randomness in the hands you pull that a lot of missions where they are based on specific objectives like protect a thing or whatever, it just sorta feels hopeless. But, as my roster of heroes grows, and I pull more and more new cards, better defining who each hero is through their decks, I am vibing with the combat a lot more. Especially during the story missions which are usually just a 'kill everything' objective followed by a boss battle. They seem to save a lot of the frustrating objectives for the completely optional side content.

In terms of the stuff outside of combat, yeah, it feels like I am reading fanfiction written by a socially awkward, lonely, 14 year old and the acting isn't much better but I just... I dunno man, I kinda like the vibes. It feels like everything wants to be grimdark and edgy these days, but this is just like pure good vibes and energy. Sure the majority of the cast are basically stroppy teenagers, but basically all anyone wants to do is be your friend, hangout and fight bad guys together and I dunno, it is just kinda nice. I just settle into the chill. It is also nice that unlike say something like Persona or Three Houses which this is clearly heavily inspired by, there aren't really deadlines or things you can miss as far as I can tell. You just do everything at your own pace, everything is carefully structured for you as a player, so you can just settle in and let it take you on a vibe ride.

JaxonH

@SlashFuture
Eh, you're just as well off watching the game on YouTube as you are playing it. Don't get me wrong, it can still be fun to play through, but the games are heavily, and I mean heavily story driven, to the extent that's really the sole focus.

Game runs fine for me on SteamDeck though, and on my PC, at least from the little I've played anyways, so it could be something on your end? Is your PC powerful enough to run it? If a game is too taxing it can cause a crash from memory overload (not enough RAM) or overheating.

Or, maybe the game just isn't stable, Idk.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic