Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 1,801 to 1,820 of 2,134

Pizzamorg

Made my start on Little Hope. Feels a bit more Quarry than the last game with that opening. It is either interesting or a bad sign though, in that the first bearing update is one the player has no control over.

Again, the game remains as visually splendid as these titles do. In fact, faces seem slightly better from the previous title too, however, the animation still remains weirdly low quality in the context of everything else.

Movement feels faster and smoother than the previous title, and I like that we now see on screen when relationships go up and down, rather than trying to find it in the menu. On the flip though the fact they have seemingly made QTEs more complicated (albeit not throwing nearly as many at you to begin with, thankfully) has me worried.

I guess I could just use the accessibility options, I think you can change everything to one button and change tapping to holding, making it more like The Quarry. But I do think on the flip The Quarry was almost too easy, I went something in the middle where I can fail, but I don't fail because the game tricks me by switching inputs or mechanics with no warning or prior context given like Man of Medan loved to do.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Pizzamorg

Made some more Little Hope progress. Are we really doing another story about hallucinogenic gas, or is something supernatural going on this time? They tricked me once... I actually do like the whole Silent Hill thing it has going on though, to be fair.

Not really a huge fan of the characters so far, especially Taylor, she seems like such a bitch. I have to assume they'll be some twist coming which makes it turn out she isn't so bad after all.

Oh and the new Lock system I dunno about. Just makes the whole trait system seem way more gamey than before. I liked the nuance of not knowing what different traits would result in, rather thna 'you get X lock traits and you are locking in your death' stuff.

BruceCM

Well, Little Hope is a sequel to Man of Medan, @Pizzamorg ... While House of Ashes is not connected to either previous game in any story way
I'm not sure you'll like this game or the next very much, going by the posts so far, sadly

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Xyphon22

I'm looking at getting a new laptop and was wondering if there are any minimum specs I should look for. I don't game on PC that much (I get the free Epic games whenever they interest me, which isn't often, and have a decent Steam collection that is mostly unplayed), and definitely not the new high spec games, so definitely not looking for a high end gaming one or anything. The only games I can think of that I have had trouble with was Abzu ran pretty slowly and either Portal or Portal 2 (I think 2) ran great the whole game until the final boss when it slowed to a crawl with so much going on. So is there anything I should be on the lookout for before I just buy another basic one like usual?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

skywake

I noticed that xboxdesignlab is up in Australia now. I mean we all know the XBox Series controller is the best PC controller so obviously it's also for us here in this thread. What kind of Nintendo-ish (or non-Nintendo) colour schemes for it do people like? Kinda curious

I mean I was kinda thinking Gamecube colour schemes but unfortunately you can't make the sticks different colours. Which kinda screws you over. SNES I have a lot of nostalgia for but if you do the superior colour scheme for SNES it's basically just a grey controller with colour buttons. Which is nice but. Zelda might've worked but there's no gold colour to pick which makes it basically a non-option. Bowser is kinda similar, you can't really do a deep green it's either Yoshi green or mud brown

I think I might just end up going with my footy team's colours

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kermit1doesmath

I downloaded Phantom Dust yesterday and I started playing it today... I really like it so far

This is also the first game I've seen that looks REALLY good on my monitor (don't ask what it is I don't know lol)

dysgraphia awareness human

JaxonH

It is time, my friends.

Untitled

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

RR529

Are there any decent external Blu Ray drives (to connect to a laptop) for a relatively decent price?

Just want something that can be used to watch movies/TV shows. Not too fussed about the ability to burn or write.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Pizzamorg

I have been hitting Rise/Sunbreak really hard over the last few weeks, so haven't had a huge amount of time for my Little Hope playthrough. However, I managed to squeeze in another hour or so into it, and got my first death!

Now, I thought my first death was Angela, but it looks like if you get her beyond a certain point, everyone gets the same fake out death? And then she just sorta pops back up again a while later and it is sorta not properly touched on. I do hope there is a flashback or something at one point.

No, my first death ended up being Taylor, because she was aggressive and deceitful, apparently. It is funny, because I hadn't long maxed out her relationship with Daniel and well... that didn't help her in the end, did it? I don't feel too mad about this one, I didn't like her much as a character, so I won't really miss having her around.

I will say I am a little disappointed by the execution of her... execution (heh). If I was to describe the death to you, it would sound really cool, but the way they actually realised it was pretty limp.

skywake

RR529 wrote:

Are there any decent external Blu Ray drives (to connect to a laptop) for a relatively decent price? Just want something that can be used to watch movies/TV shows. Not too fussed about the ability to burn or write.

To be blunt, BluRay playback on Windows is kinda garbage. At least it was last time I bothered with it. What you want to do is get a massive portable HDD and rip your collection. If you're going external purely so it's portable and you have a desktop somewhere? I'd pick up an LG BluRay drive for ripping, because you can overwrite the firmware which allows you to also rip UHD discs

If you want something portable because the laptop is all you have. I personally have a Pioneer BDR-XS06, it's not the fastest thing in the world but I ripped most of my collection with it. And I still prefer it over my LG drive for non-UHD discs because it's quite a bit quieter. I'm not sure if you can still get it but, something along those lines should do the job

Edited on by skywake

RR529

@skywake, yeah, the laptop is the only PC I have. Sucks to hear direct playing of the discs isn't that great (as that's what I was mainly planning on doing), but I'll give it a try.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

@RR529
If you do want to go down the road of ripping discs there are two pieces of software you'll want to look at. MakeMKV and Handbrake. The first allows you to decrypt and rip the discs into a easy to play format which may well be good enough. BluRays are ~25GB each and you can get a 4TB portable HDD for fairly cheap, that's a good 150 movies in your pocket

But if you have some more patience you can take those rips and cut the size pretty significantly without losing much quality. How long that takes will depend on how good your machine is. I use the bellow settings in handbrake to get the file to about 1/5th the size. Which means that same 2TB would store 750 movies. Save the bellow to a .json file and you should be able to import it into handbrake

{
"PresetList": [
{
"AlignAVStart": true,
"AudioCopyMask": [
"copy:aac",
"copy:ac3",
"copy:mp3",
"copy:truehd",
"copy:eac3"
],
"AudioEncoderFallback": "ac3",
"AudioLanguageList": [],
"AudioList": [
{
"AudioBitrate": 640,
"AudioCompressionLevel": 0.0,
"AudioEncoder": "copy",
"AudioMixdown": "5point1",
"AudioNormalizeMixLevel": false,
"AudioSamplerate": "auto",
"AudioTrackQualityEnable": false,
"AudioTrackQuality": -1.0,
"AudioTrackGainSlider": 0.0,
"AudioTrackDRCSlider": 0.0
}
],
"AudioSecondaryEncoderMode": true,
"AudioTrackSelectionBehavior": "first",
"ChapterMarkers": true,
"ChildrenArray": [],
"Default": false,
"FileFormat": "av_mp4",
"Folder": false,
"FolderOpen": false,
"Mp4HttpOptimize": false,
"Mp4iPodCompatible": false,
"PictureAutoCrop": true,
"PictureBottomCrop": 138,
"PictureLeftCrop": 0,
"PictureRightCrop": 0,
"PictureTopCrop": 144,
"PictureDARWidth": 0,
"PictureDeblockPreset": "off",
"PictureDeblockTune": "off",
"PictureDeinterlaceFilter": "decomb",
"PictureCombDetectPreset": "default",
"PictureCombDetectCustom": "",
"PictureDeinterlacePreset": "default",
"PictureDeinterlaceCustom": "",
"PictureDenoiseCustom": "",
"PictureDenoiseFilter": "off",
"PictureDenoisePreset": "light",
"PictureDenoiseTune": "none",
"PictureSharpenCustom": "",
"PictureSharpenFilter": "off",
"PictureSharpenPreset": "medium",
"PictureSharpenTune": "none",
"PictureDetelecine": "off",
"PictureDetelecineCustom": "",
"PictureItuPAR": false,
"PictureKeepRatio": true,
"PictureLooseCrop": false,
"PictureModulus": 2,
"PicturePAR": "auto",
"PicturePARWidth": 0,
"PicturePARHeight": 0,
"PictureForceHeight": 0,
"PictureForceWidth": 0,
"PresetName": "BluRayRip",
"Type": 1,
"UsesPictureFilters": true,
"UsesPictureSettings": 2,
"SubtitleAddCC": false,
"SubtitleAddForeignAudioSearch": false,
"SubtitleAddForeignAudioSubtitle": false,
"SubtitleBurnBehavior": "foreign",
"SubtitleBurnBDSub": false,
"SubtitleBurnDVDSub": false,
"SubtitleLanguageList": [],
"SubtitleTrackSelectionBehavior": "none",
"VideoAvgBitrate": 0,
"VideoColorMatrixCode": 0,
"VideoEncoder": "x264",
"VideoFramerateMode": "cfr",
"VideoGrayScale": false,
"VideoScaler": "swscale",
"VideoPreset": "veryslow",
"VideoTune": "film",
"VideoProfile": "high",
"VideoLevel": "4.2",
"VideoOptionExtra": "ref=5:bframes=5",
"VideoQualityType": 2,
"VideoQualitySlider": 20.0,
"VideoQSVDecode": false,
"VideoQSVAsyncDepth": 4,
"VideoTwoPass": false,
"VideoTurboTwoPass": false,
"x264UseAdvancedOptions": false
}
],
"VersionMajor": 42,
"VersionMicro": 0,
"VersionMinor": 0
}

Edited on by skywake

Pizzamorg

Finished Little Hope. Boy, that has to be one of the worst final twists I have ever experienced in a game - or really, in media in general. That is a 14 year olds fanfiction level of writing quality. It is a shame, as up until that ending, I was about to praise this as being a significant step up from Man of Medan. I used the accessibility settings to make the QTEs less punishing, I thought the story/location variety made things more interesting than Medan's mostly interchangeable series of corridors and they tweaked things like movement to make the game feel slightly better. But boy, they went from psychedelic mist to tossing out a random twist that doesn't really address anything, other than in the most sweeping, lazy of ways.

Oh and John died before it was over too. I really done him dirty, he had five bad traits as the demon crushed him to death. I didn't realise I made so many bad choices as him. I feel like I barely played him at all during the story, so I ***** up hard there somehow.

Edited on by Pizzamorg

markmarkmark

What do you guys think of the current GPU prices? do you think it'd be good to grab one now or wait for the holiday prices to drop even more? 🤔

Game on. 🤘 Rock on. 🎸

Pizzamorg

I realised I totally missed the year anniversary of Biomutant. I know this game didn't land quite how many hoped, but I really enjoyed my time with it, overall. I wouldn't try and convince anyone it was a masterpiece, I know just how flawed the title is. However, I took a week off last summer and just vibed with it and had a great time. It has been a bad couple of years, but that is one of the few fond memories I have from them.

Matt_Barber

markmarkmark wrote:

What do you guys think of the current GPU prices? do you think it'd be good to grab one now or wait for the holiday prices to drop even more? 🤔

I'm pretty sure prices will drop further. Availability has caught up with demand, there's a new generation of GPUs just around the corner, the bottom has pretty much fallen out of cryptomining with GPUs, and pretty much all other PC components are now selling at or below the MSRP.

That said, if you're looking at a relatively low-end card, like a 3050 or 6600, there's only really scope for prices to fall by another fifty to hundred bucks. If that's enough to get you a better class of games right now, that might still be worth it. Also, if you need something right now for professional purposes or because your old card is on its last legs, you're not going to get fleeced nearly as badly as you would have been.

However, if you're after something high-end but already have a decent 10 or 20 series card, you should probably hang on. You'd stand to save several hundred dollars more if you do.

Matt_Barber

skywake

@markmarkmark @Matt_Barber
I'd definitely wait. NVidia is releasing 4000 series cards soon and Intel is entering the GPU space with what sounds like a 3060/3070 tier card soon. Both should give more options which can only really reduce prices. Even if it's just stores starting to clear out stock of the 1600/2000 series cards that are for some reason still being sold to make shelf space

Matt_Barber

@skywake I'd be a bit wary of Intel's cards if only because of their less-than-stellar reputation for drivers. Even when their integrated graphics have the processing power, which is actually more often than you might think, games are often glitchy or just don't work. Even if their forthcoming discrete GPUs are a lot more powerful, this could still be an Achilles heel.

As for Nvidia, they've still yet to set a date for the 4000 series and rumours abound that this might be due to an overstock of the 30-series. There are also credible reports that they asked TSMC to scale back production, on account of the crypto crash, but were refused; if that's true, there's unlikely to be anything like the same difficulty when it comes to buying Founders Edition 4000 cards.

After a couple of tough years, things are starting to look pretty rosy.

Matt_Barber

skywake

@Matt_Barber
Fair call. I mean the benchmarks of the A380 released so far are pretty all over the shop. Cost competitive in newer titles, well short on older titles. Also oddly punching above it's weight at higher resolutions. Which for it makes it a particularly bad buy because at that power bracket you'd be playing older games and lower resolutions, it's two weaknesses

But its relative strengths could swing its way with the higher tier cards. Eg if you have enough power that 4K is viable all of a sudden having a performance advantage at higher resolutions matters. And if you have more power then you're more likely to be able to push through driver disadvantages in older titles. Of course I don't expect Intel to win the "best performing GPU" crown anytime soon but in a lot of ways that doesn't really matter much anyways

If they release something that performs around the xx60/xx70 tier NVidia card at around the same price? Then that's enough to make it an option. Which is what always tends to happen with these sort of components. We all like to trawl through reviews, benchmarks and charts but at the end of the day? Most of the time they sell these things at a price similar to what their competitors are selling their performance-equivalent product at

I'd expect Intel to come in slightly lower in an effort to gain some market share. Drivers will definitely be a bit flaky early on but I think they're pretty serious about this. Expect them to close the gap a bit over the next few years (and optimisations for older games to increasingly not matter as much)

Edited on by skywake

Pizzamorg

I finished the Outriders expansion yesterday (kinda), did one run of the end game and I uninstalled it. It is pretty easily up there with one of the worst things I have played this year. Oh and it appears to be basically dead already, too, as I had to put on crossplay to even find anyone to matchmake with (my friends who played base Outriders with me decided not to come back) and the lag during crossplay games is horrendous.

I said Worldslayer seemed more like a live service season than a full expansion, but I'd argue even that was too generous. The people who said they spent up to ten hours in the campaign had to be leaving their PC on overnight and finishing it in the morning. There is like three hours of content if you include your first end game run and then ???? amount of hours of mindless grinding, if you want to smash against RNG and slowly see numbers go up, as your soul leaves your body.

Between the awful AI, the oppressive RNG systems, the immense levelling grind and laggy crossplay games, 'the chase' just simply is not there for me.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic