Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 861 to 880 of 1,675

BruceCM

As for my put everyone in back row, @Tyranexx .... You'll mostly be using abilities, since even when everyone learns magic, you want to keep their MP for the difficult fights/ bosses & so on! I'm keeping it to the minimum for you but if you keep us posted on progress, we can alert you to anything more specific at the relevant time?

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Dezzy

@Tyranexx

Yes. There's so much stuff going on in games like FF6, that if you really want to make sure you don't miss anything, you'll frankly need to read a detailed guide as you play through it.
That's really not a good way to play a game for the first time. Just play through it naturally and don't worry too much about missing things.

Besides, if this is your first game in the series, you've got like a dozen more to play yet!

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheFrenchiestFry

So there's going to be a reveal of something related to Final Fantasy VII Remake at the Orchestra Concert on Saturday

I imagine one of those Square trademarks will come into play as a title for some new DLC campaign and I definitely expect them to announce the Xbox and PC versions of the game since we're getting closer to the end of the PlayStation 4 exclusivity period

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Dezzy

Cool, first I've heard of it.

I'm 90% sure it's PS5 and PC versions, possibly Xbox too.

I just hope the next-gen versions have some cool additions. Makes sense, if they want people to buy a second copy. I sold my copy literally 3 days after release, when I'd finished the game.

Tyranexx

@Anti-Matter Thanks, though I'm glad I viewed your reply after you locked it under spoilers; I'd like to remain unspoiled in this case if other users' reactions are anything to go by.

@BruceCM So there's limited MP recovery options then? I tend to be somewhat conservative with it in most games unless it auto-regenerates. Another good tidbit to keep in mind.

I'll keep you folks somewhat posted, though typically if it's a section I'm really excited about or stuck on lol. I know where to come for help!

@Dezzy I agree wholeheartedly. My goal isn't 100% completion in most games anymore unless I'm REALLY enjoying them; there are way too many games I want to play and only so much time to do so lol. Typically my goal is to reach the end of the main story (though I will do post-game story if that exists and if the main plot was decent) and/or the credits in a game unless I'm not enjoying what I'm playing. Blind it is then!

I do intend to play many of the FFs that are considered decent, and that I can access (mostly via the Switch and DS). I'm targeting most main entries between IV and XII right now. The MMOs are off the table though; that genre can be such a time sink that I swore them off long ago. I was heavily invested in WoW for awhile. I have no way to play XIII, and I'm told XV is meh and that, if one does play it, to skip the Pocket Edition.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

@Tyranexx

What gaming platforms do you own?

TheFrenchiestFry

@Tyranexx XV is fine. Admittedly I do think it gets a worse rep than it deserves and found the open world approach pretty refreshing for the series, but it has one of the most forgettable RPG stories I've ever played honestly

And yeah I haven't played Pocket Edition and probably never will because I already have the full fat game on both PS4 and PC. Pocket Edition is only for the people who have a lower tier class of hardware like mobile or Switch and desperately want a version of the game. It's definitely playable just not ideal

I love XIV but I understand it's not everyone's thing, but the single player stuff there right now is excellent, especially expansions like Heavensward and Shadowbringers. As for non MMO entries my personal favorite will have to be between VI and Tactics

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

BruceCM

Well, yeah & you get some pretty good abilities, @Tyranexx .... there's some pretty long dungeons later, with either quite a few tough enemies or several bosses! Or, of course, both

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@Dezzy Mostly Nintendo systems, mainly the handhelds from the GBC on up. In terms of full-on consoles, I have a Wii U and Switch (Technically it's a hybrid, but I count it as a full console). I also have a mid-end Windows laptop that can handle some less demanding games, but nothing modern or very intense. I very rarely play games on PC these days.

I'd like to dive into the PS ecosystem at some point but when is the million dollar question....

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm sure XV isn't as bad as the internet makes it out to be, if my previous experiences playing games like Metroid: Other M are anything to go by. That said, story is a very important part of the RPG formula in my book. I'll likely get to XV (or some version of it) at some point, but it isn't a huge priority right now. Though I've heard the full game is definitely the more preferable of the two.

I've read the current form of XIV is amazing (unlike its initial launch) and know I'd likely enjoy it. It's mainly the time investment involved with MMOs that I'm concerned about, though I'm sure my current machine couldn't handle it except maybe on very low settings. As for Tactics, I've heard many great things about that spinoff series and do intend to dig into those at some point too.

@BruceCM Long dungeons, you say? I don't do this often, but I might be abusing suspend points a little in that case....

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

VoidofLight

I can't wait to see more new information on XVI. The game already looks promising so far, and I want to know a lot more about it honestly.

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

BruceCM

If you let me know when you're starting, I can play along with you, @Tyranexx ....? I'm likely to put you off if I'm not careful here! It's nothing too unusual with similar sorts of games & most FFs do have some quite long/ tricky dungeons, with several bosses &/or some random battles that are much harder than most, etc

SW-4357-9287-0699

Magician

Watched the XIV Endwalker presentation yesterday. Pretty cool. I played XIV for a little while, probably my favorite traditional mmo I've ever played, although I haven't played many. It's one of those games I'd love to dip a toe back into...but I just don't have the time.

My days of committing several hundred hours to one game are over. Doubly so for live service games.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Dezzy

Tyranexx wrote:

@Dezzy Mostly Nintendo systems, mainly the handhelds from the GBC on up. In terms of full-on consoles, I have a Wii U and Switch (Technically it's a hybrid, but I count it as a full console). I also have a mid-end Windows laptop that can handle some less demanding games, but nothing modern or very intense. I very rarely play games on PC these days.

Cool, so you can play FF4 on DS/3DS, FF5 on GBA, FF6 on GBA/Snes Classic, and then FF7,8,9,10,12 on Switch. That's most of the essential games in the series.

Tyranexx wrote:

@TheFrenchiestFry I'm sure XV isn't as bad as the internet makes it out to be, if my previous experiences playing games like Metroid: Other M are anything to go by. That said, story is a very important part of the RPG formula in my book. I'll likely get to XV (or some version of it) at some point, but it isn't a huge priority right now. Though I've heard the full game is definitely the more preferable of the two.

MOST of the negativity towards FFXV comes from the launch day version of the game, which was an unfinished mess. They did spend the next 2 years releasing DLC to address those various problems though, and in my opinion they fixed nearly all of them.
The only real negative about the game if you play it in 2021, is that they never packed everything into a single product. So the entire experience is divided up across a movie, an anime and 6 major DLC. Only 1 of those DLC was actually inserted into the main game so that it plays automatically. The other 5 have to be selected through a menu. So it's very disordered.

BruceCM

If you have a GBA (or DS that can play those), you have access to 2 versions of FFIV, @Tyranexx .... Not sure if we covered all that before but there'd be pros & cons for either if it was going to be only 1

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

@BruceCM My goal is to (hopefully) start playing FF VI this weekend, most likely on Saturday morning; weird as this sounds, I usually like to start story-driven games when my brain isn't running on fumes after a day at work. Which happens more often than not lol. I normally don't forum crawl until the afternoon/evening, even on weekends, so I'll try to let you know in advance if my plans change. For reference, I'm in US/CA Central Time, so UTC−06:00 when not on Daylight Savings.

I actually already have FF IV for the DS; I'm well aware that it's one of, if not the hardest versions of the game, but I couldn't pass up the voice acting and the price at the time. I'm sure it has more than shot up in price now since SE isn't making DS repro carts anymore.

@Dezzy I already have plans to try most of those games you've listed. I'm on the fence about FF VIII; that one might wait until my backlog thins considerably (which would work if I'd quit buying games....XD). As for V, I wasn't aware it had a GBA release! Thanks for mentioning that; I'll look into it. I know it's a decent entry but didn't think it was available on many platforms.

That description of how spread out XV's experience is seems...odd, to say the least. A good way for those behind the series to make money I suppose, but confusing as heck to the average layperson like yours truly who's only just becoming interested in the series. XD

Edited on by Tyranexx

BruceCM

Well, one thing that makes the DS version 'difficult' is it's augments, @Tyranexx .... If you're going to get the best ones, you'd pretty much need a guide for that! So, we'll be able to tell you about those & whatever other things as needed I take it you wouldn't want to play GBA 1 as well, then? Shame you don't have a PSP or Vita for the Complete Collection!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

The definitive versions of 5 and 6 are the GBA versions with the SNES music patched in, which is available online as a ROM.

Dezzy

@DarthNocturnal

It's not a huge difference, but very noticeable in some places. Changes from song to song.

The patch for FF6 does include the real human voices for the opera though, so that's a pretty huge difference.

Edited on by Dezzy

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic