Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,621 to 1,640 of 1,675

Xyphon22

Update time! I haven't gotten to play much recently, so haven't gotten far. Finally made it down the crater to where you have to split up your team. I hate it when RPGs do this. And then they split a second time, so I had to send Cloud off by himself (I did 3 and 3) and he got his butt kicked. Fortunately I cheated a little with the walkthrough and learned the best place to use the save crystal, so I saved right before this and I guess I'll do 4 and 2 next time at the first split.

And just for knowledge sake, it took me 3 tries to get this far because there is one enemy when you enter the caves that has a big gold star above his head and uses a move called Everyone's Grudge or something like that. I wailed on it with Bolt 3 and Comet 2 and all I had and it still just brushed it all off until it finally killed me. So my third time through I just ran away whenever I encountered one. Is it actually possible to kill those guys?

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Xyphon22

@DarthNocturnal It's not so much its attacks, although they are pretty bad. It's the fact that I hit it for what seemed like 100,000 damage (just throwing a big number out there, I have no idea how much damage I did to it) and it just never freakin' dies. But running away works. Although I might want to go back and try Morph (I've never used that move before) because I only have 2 Ribbons and it would be good to have a third (I put a Safety Bit on my third member).

Xyphon22

Xyphon22

Alright, this will be my final update on my progress in Final Fantasy VII, as I finally beat it last night! The entire final sequence from my last post was a bit odd. It seems like the only reason to even split everyone up is so that the members you don't control can collect stuff for you. I assumed control would switch back and forth between the different teams you create, but nope. You just control Cloud and meet everyone else at the end, which I thought was strange. And then there was no way to save before the final battle without trekking all the way to be your created save point, which I didn't feel like doing so I just took a chance and went on. Fortunately, I found the final boss to be remarkably easy and beat him first try. The worst part was definitely having to sit through the what seemed like 10-minute-long video of the planets every single time he cast Supernova. Then the final CG video at the end was pretty cool, and I read the storyline online this morning to discover exactly what happened in the game because I wasn't sure I had completely followed it all.

So my overall thoughts on the game. Easily my favorite FF I've played (I've also played I and VI). I liked the characters overall, although I feel like I don't really know them that well. The game kind of tried to do one at a time showing their pasts and stuff, but I feel like I would have liked more (I guess the new Remake tries to do that, which is cool). I love the setting and how it isn't just the go-to fantasy that most RPGs do but is more modern. I still don't like random battles, but they didn't seem as intrusive as some, especially the older NES RPGs. I thought it was pretty easy. The only boss I remember having any trouble with was the robot who can grab two of your party members with its arms. I didn't utilize a lot of the different things you can do in the game (never used Summons, Enemy Skills, or really working on combining Materia into good combinations other than All-Restore), but this is normal for me in RPGs (never bother with crafting in Xenoblade or cooking in Tales of, etc.). I'm glad it keeps the party limited unlike what seemed to be the pattern of those old PS1 RPGs (I hate how there are like 70 different team members in Chrono Cross). I don't really like how much optional stuff there is, especially things that seem to be important (2 completely missable party members who I did completely miss, entire big story sequences like Cloud and Zack and what happened to them which I didn't even know about until reading the storyline this morning, etc.). Overall, though, I definitely enjoyed my time with it and am glad I finally got to play this game I've heard so much about over the years. I said I would give the series one final try as I didn't really care for I or VI, and I'm glad I did; but I'm not sure I loved it enough to keep trying the series. This may be my final FF game. The only other one I might be willing to try is X-X2 simply because it's 2 games for the price of 1, unless there are some suggestions based on my likes and dislikes.

Xyphon22

BruceCM

Lol, I'm pretty sure it's actually only a couple of minutes, @Xyphon22 ... but I know it seems longer when he's doing it a lot

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Xyphon22

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, I was playing on Switch, and I completely forgot that was a thing. I only ever used it on accident when the L stick got clicked without me meaning to. That probably would have been good. But that reminds me that I don't remember the name of the planet ever being named in the game, only called the Planet, but the storyline I read said it was called Gaia or something like that. So why were all the other planets in the solar system the real ones, but the planet we were on was not called Earth even though it was even in the same place just after Venus? Oh, well.

Xyphon22

Bunkerneath

@Xyphon22 I'm glad you enjoyed it, but when you go to the final crater you can go out in to the world to see a lot of other parts instead, like chocobo breading and racing, then there are the other Weapons which you can (try to) beat. Theres one underwater and one in the desert.
Then there are the other "hidden" characters, one called Vincent and one called Yuffie (not sure if you got them) then the back story of those people. The Yuffie one is annoying (well probably not for you) as she steals all your materia. The Vincent one is very sad as you find out his wife/ lady he loved was Sephiroth's mother and he was made in to a monster.
Not sure if you got all the Limit breaks for the different characters (I always have the characters hyper as the more you use them the more you learn) and the fourth level you have to do certain things to unlock them.
You should try FFX it is very good, a hell of a lot of storyline and you get very invested in it, X-2 is ok but not a scratch on the first one.
But i would say that FF IX is also great, lots of mystery and great storyline.

I AM ERROR

Switch Friend Code: SW-5538-4050-1819 | 3DS Friend Code: 1633-4650-1215 | My Nintendo: Bunkerneath | Nintendo Network ID: Bunkerneat | Twitter:

kidkytes

I'm in the weird minority in that I vastly prefer X-2 to X. Mainly because of the gameplay, the best version of the ATB battle system that has appeared in FFs, the dresspheres and dominant magical girl genre. There's a lot of flaws with it and the storyline but I find that if you just lose yourself in X-2 silliness then you'll have a good time.

kidkytes

Anti-Matter

@kidkytes
I like FF X-2 too for being Charlie's Angels (YRP) and some silly things happened during Gullwings and Le Blanc group.

Anti-Matter

kidkytes

@Anti-Matter

The Leblanc Syndicate is great! They're the Team Rocket of the Final Fantasy series. I just love the relationship that Yuna, Rikku and Paine have. They really work well together. I suppose I have an affinity towards X-2 because it was also part of my gay awakening lol.

Just since I'm new here I'll just throw in some of my favourite FFs. V, VII, VIII, IX, X-2, XIII-2 and VII Remake. I recently replayed FFIX for the first time in years in the spring and it was such a lovely experience and made me remember how much I love it. Probably for me it's peak FF with it's grand sense of adventure, soundtrack, themes and the characters. Despite not liking Zidane haha.

kidkytes

Xyphon22

@Bunkerneath Yeah, I saw a lot of that stuff is in the game, and I never bothered to go do it. I just did the things that I ran across naturally not using a walkthrough. I'm all for optional things like tough bosses and better weapons that reward you if you want to go out of your way to do other things. What I'm not a big fan of is things that actually seem important to the game/story being completely missable. Like that Vincent storyline seems really cool and gives extra emphasis to Sephiroth and his family, and I completely missed all of it.

As it relates to other games, the problem is outside of VI and VII which seem to be universally regarded as if not great at least important to video gaming as a whole, the others all seem to be hit or miss. I've heard some love IX and others think it's the worst. It sounds like X-X2 will be a good direction to go if I decide to, but I'm not sure I ever will. I have too much else to play and do. Maybe if I ever see it for like $10 or something.

Xyphon22

BruceCM

Do yourself a favour & skip FFII, @DarthNocturnal .... VIII is good, if you can get the hang of it's systems but you'd hardly be the only person put off by that While After Years is good & arguably Lightning Returns is better than the previous ones!

SW-4357-9287-0699

BruceCM

Heh, good luck with all that, then, @DarthNocturnal .... I can't say I've even tried FFII Pixel Remaster, since I doubt it's any better than the GBA version I did try a long time ago

SW-4357-9287-0699

Neph

I just finished Strangers of Paradise and I gotta say I actually enjoyed this game a lot.
Not the story up until a certain point but the ending (apart from a few lines here and there) was actually really cool.
That begs the question though - is it a prequel to the first game or is it just a reboot?

Neph

Switch Friend Code: SW-5770-3159-1125

XandertheWise

Besides Final Fantasy X-2 to get back into sometime I also have Final Fantasy Type O to get back into along wth Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII-2 and start playing Final Fantasy XV

XandertheWise

Vortexeo

Anybody see the new FF16 trailer?

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Pizzamorg

I picked up Strangers in Paradise as it was on sale on Amazon. I gotta say, even with the fidelity mode, the game doesn't look great on PS5. More like a PS3 remaster rather than a modern title.

That said, the combat is a lot of fun, combat like this with sort of real time with pause elements, and different abilities tied to different combinations of buttons depending on what is held down can be a real mess, but it all actually flows very nicely. It can be difficult sometimes to try and understand which systems you are meant to be using - for example, it has a traditional block and parry, a dodge mechanic and also a unique parry style game system separate from the other parry - maybe it'll make more sense as to when to use it further in.

But so far, it hasn't really made me stress about that. Enemies that give you trouble, you can just run by and if a boss is kicking your ass, the game actively encourages you turning the difficulty down. And as far as I can tell, there is no real punishment for doing so, as the game absolutely showers you in loot anyway. Maybe too much loot, honestly, but I do love me some looter elements.

There is also a party mechanic, and you have basically zero control over the party at all. You can gear them up and there is a super limited command system but otherwise they just do their own thing. This is great in a way, because I think games like the Tales game turn into a real slop bucket when you are trying to control a whole party at once. I am glad I can just leave them to their own devices and they are not just running to their death over and over.

That said, on the flip, when I unlock new party members it isn't often clear why I should pick one person over another as so far it doesn't seem like I can create like a dedicated tank, or healer, or whatever, so they are just bodies to me. Maybe that will make more sense with time.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

VoidofLight

@Vortexeo 16 looks so good. I can't wait for it to release!

"It is fate. Many have tried, yet none have ever managed to escape it's flow."

Vortexeo

@VoidofLight Bro IKR! I probably won't get the chance to play it until much later because I don't have a PS5 😅 but hopefully by time it comes to PC I'll be done with the rest of the mainline final fantasy games! (Currently trying to play all of them lol).

Add me on switch if you like Xenoblade :)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3720-5613-4522

Rattler

Played many FF games but personally like VIII and Crisis Core and of course i wait FF 16

Rattler

Anti-Matter

I'm done with current Final Fantasy Roman numbers.
The series have turned into disgusting rated M AAA Ultra Realistic Western games.
They are NOT Final Fantasy games anymore.
Even I banned FF XV.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic