Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,601 to 1,620 of 1,697

Eel

Cor! That’s the name of that character! I knew this new protagonist reminded me of someone.

Bloop.

My dead channel.

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BruceCM

Lightning Prompto, Recoloured Gladio, and Edgelord Cor sound awesome, @TheJGG .... Can we get you involved in doing this game? You can write the story, too! It might end up making some sense that way

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Anti-Matter

I'm glad I didn't watch SquareEnix presentation.
Current Final Fantasy franchise is already dead for me.
It becomes grittier and more disgusting for me.

Top 8 Konami's Rhythm games:
1. Dance Dance Revolution
2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Dezzy

Nomura is consistently the weakest link at Square and holds them back from greatness.

In the last decade he's:

-written the kingdom hearts story of infinite abstract nonsense, including taking ages to release KH3
-taken too long making Versus XIII so they had to give it to someone else.
-designed Jin and Malos in Xenoblade 2, both of whom look ridiculous (I know most of the characters in that game do, but still)
-ruined one of the best stories in video game history with the ridiculous kingdom hearts nonsense at the end of FF7 Remake.
-designed these characters

VS the actual good things he's done:
-a couple of the characters in FFXV look pretty cool. Ardyn, Aranea, Ignis maybe......

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

TheJGG

@Dezzy I disagree with the FF7:R stuff, that was a deep and interconnected commentary on the new fans defeating the old fans! It endorses the tens of thousands of Final Fantasy VII fanfics out there by saying their own fan fiction is canon.

Edit; Ignis? That wasn’t Nomura, Adam Croasdell was the single reason his character was good. And he didn’t write or voice Ardyn! He literally gave Ignis a Mohawk and made ardyn a homeless man with that coat and hat

Edited on by TheJGG

Nintendo Fan Soundtrack II - Xenoblade Novel

NintendoLife’s number one motorsport fan.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114 | My Nintendo: TheJGG

Anti-Matter

@Dezzy
Kingdom Heart whole storyline was already a mess with Organization XIII nonsenses, Nobodies and soap opera drama. That was the reason I stop playing KH 3DS and I sold my copy KH 1.5 + 2.5 PS4 since I have lost interest to deal with Kingdom Hearts.

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

VoidofLight

@Dezzy Jin and Malos are actually pretty cool honestly. Two of the best character designs in Xenoblade 2, at least in my opinion.

@TheJGG Hey, at least they’re living up to the promise of having Cor be a party member, as well as playable, like in the XV trailers. I also like Ardyn’s character design. Probably the strongest design in XV.

Edited on by VoidofLight

(Insert creative or cool phrase here.)

TheJGG

@VoidofLight Tetsuya Nomura’s entire design philosophy is to make life for the animators as hard as he can. That’s literally the only reason why Sephiroth has long hair, and Lulu has so many belt buckles. I’m pretty sure he did it for Ardyn as well, what with his ‘hoodie-around-waist”-style jacket, his long hair, top hat and flamboyant mannerisms!

Doesn’t mean it didn’t make for a good design though, Ardyn’s design and acting is superb.

BruceCM

lol, that is definitely a take, @TheJGG .... Assuming FFVII R does come to Steam, I'll be getting it there & I look forward to playing it!

SW-4357-9287-0699

VoidofLight

@TheJGG Ah, by a technological level I can see what you mean. Honestly though, Ardyn is by far one of my favorite characters, and I really will miss the guy.

TheJGG

BruceCM wrote:

Lightning Prompto, Recoloured Gladio, and Edgelord Cor sound awesome, @TheJGG .... Can we get you involved in doing this game? You can write the story, too! It might end up making some sense that way

I'm too busy writing fanfiction at the moment . I'm working on writing a Xenoblade adaptation with actually good writing this time. Hopefully it's good enough that I'll end up rewriting all the Final Fantasy games for one big 1-16 mobile collection.

BruceCM

Wow, that's ambitions .... @TheJGG

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

TheJGG wrote:

@Dezzy I disagree with the FF7:R stuff, that was a deep and interconnected commentary on the new fans defeating the old fans! It endorses the tens of thousands of Final Fantasy VII fanfics out there by saying their own fan fiction is canon.

I'm not sure it was supposed to be the 'new fans'. Who wouldn't technically know that anything was different, given that they'd never played it before (they also wouldn't know they had to play Crisis Core to understand what's going on at the end, and a lot of them would've been completely lost by that).

I think it was supposed to symbolize the developers fighting against the more conservative impulse among themselves and among the fans, who didn't want anything to change. The end of the first game ultimately concluding with them overcoming that impulse, and deciding that some things need to change, probably because they need to in order to create suspense for the future games. I think they were just too scared of finishing the first game and being in a position where everyone knew exactly what would happen in the next 2 parts. A bit of mystery is important to keep people thinking and talking about it.

But still, I just didn't want meta-commentary themes in a game like this at all. It doesn't fit with the rest of game's themes and style. If they wanted to change something they should've just changed it from the start, without the metaphysical rationale for it.

Anti-Matter

@TheJGG
FF X outfits design was like Harajuku / Lady Gaga style. 😛
It's a High Fashion / Couture outfits.

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

TheJGG

@Dezzy They were kinda talking to the fans when they gave us that speech before the Final Boss rush. It was nice in the moment but when I thought about it more it was kinda sad.

Ah well; the suspense ploy worked, I'm stoked for when we do get the next part though. Ideally soon.

Dezzy

@TheJGG

Yes I do think the suspense thing worked. Its opened up possibilities for all the ways the story could unfold differently.
Although they did kinda mess things up quite a bit too. Fighting Sephiroth that much earlier really screwed with the logic of the story. In the original, you think you're chasing after a man who's walking across the continent, and you don't know if it's actually Sephiroth or not, so it allows Cloud to slowly explain the backstory to the rest of the party as he tries to piece things together himself, as they learn more about the thing they're chasing.
None of that really works now. First of all Sephiroth isn't just a guy walking across the continent. He's a flying god-like being who can just teleport apparently, so they're not going to be following him in the same way as before. Also, that slow unveiling of the backstory wouldn't make sense now. They'll get to Kalm and the first question from everyone should just be "So why is he a one-winged flying God who can cut holes in space-time?". Completely messes up that slow build up of the backstory.

Edited on by Dezzy

Anti-Matter

@Slowdive
I still prefer 3D looking of FF 3 & 4 on NDS.
FF 4 NDS got voice acting as bonus.
Not a fan of 2D pixel art like that.

2. Para Para Paradise
3. DrumMania
4. Beatmania IIDX
5. Pop'n Music
6. KeyboardMania
7. Martial Beat
8. DANCE EVOLUTION

VoidofLight

@TheJGG Xenoblade 2 is the only one that really needs the rewrite.

TheJGG

Dezzy wrote:

Fighting Sephiroth that much earlier really screwed with the logic of the story. In the original, you think you're chasing after a man who's walking across the continent, and you don't know if it's actually Sephiroth or not, so it allows Cloud to slowly explain the backstory to the rest of the party as he tries to piece things together himself, as they learn more about the thing they're chasing.
None of that really works now. First of all Sephiroth isn't just a guy walking across the continent. He's a flying god-like being who can just teleport apparently, so they're not going to be following him in the same way as before. Also, that slow unveiling of the backstory wouldn't make sense now. They'll get to Kalm and the first question from everyone should just be "So why is he a one-winged flying God who can cut holes in space-time?". Completely messes up that slow build up of the backstory.

You have so many good points. I didn't play the original so this brings a lot of the Remake's compromises into context. It'll now feel like less of a genuine chase and more a goose chase, namely Sephiroth toying with the group before choosing to reveal himself. They did have to cover a few bases in the Remake, there were short scenes in Cloud's hallucinations, like Nifelheim burning, him sending Aerith off in the lake, the Black Materia, and flashbacks to his childhood with Tifa. I can easily say mystery wouldn't have hurt.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic