Forums

Topic: General Final Fantasy Thread

Posts 1,081 to 1,100 of 1,675

Tyranexx

Eel wrote:

You could try Kefka's tower. I'd say you're ready. Unless you want to try and get a celestiad from Dinosaur Forest first, and bask in it's overpowered glory.

...Now I'm curious. I've finally thumped a couple of those Brachiosaurs but never received an item for my trouble. Wonder if it has to be stolen? Though it's probably something I could live without lol.

I do think I'll attempt the tower this evening, though I doubt I'll get to the end (and presumably Kefka) before it's time to unplug.

@BruceCM I did Strago's side quest, I think; that was the one with Hidon, correct? That was a fun side venture with possibly one of the weirdest fetch quests I've dealt with. XD

Didn't beat the boss up the other tower, nope.

Edit: Didn't get around to playing last night, so hopefully this evening (Tuesday) now.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Eel

@Tyranexx It's a battle reward, though they also have a different, slightly less fancy but still nice, accessory you can steal.

The reward for the fanatics tower, combined with the reward for killing brachiosaurs... Is hilariously overpowered.

A tip for the tower... The boss can change its elemental weakness and absorb properties, you can check what's what with a certain magic spell, or use spells that don't deal elemental damage. You can also use spells/equip relics to bounce magic back at it, and there's ways to avoid/negate its ultimate attack.

Using a certain strategy... You can make it defeat itself.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Tyranexx

@Eel Thanks for the tips! I may go ahead and try that boss again this evening. I believe I might know which relics you're referring to.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Dezzy

@Anti-Matter

XIII-2 is just fine. It's the same level of maturity as the first game. Maybe a bit of a sadder story though. It will be fine with your "standards" though I would think.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

jedgamesguy

I made an arrangement of Crystalline Chill from FFXV. I did it by hearing only and made it from scratch without help: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18NB7v0eVXUrlbdyiVqK40Rl_uCMJ...

To those who've seen me post about it already; I've finished it.

Edited on by jedgamesguy

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

BruceCM

Oh, missed you saying about that one, then, @Tyranexx ..... Not sure just how many of the relics Eel's talking about you get just doing stuff even if you never went in any shop for those but you'd at least get some & from the chests, etc. The name should be pretty obvious, as far as I know they were always called the same! Check some of your other equipment & it might well say it does the same, I think you get a few bits of that but not sure just how much or when some of it is
Your levels would be fine for final tower, though!

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

Tyranexx

I didn't manage to game at all on Monday, unfortunately. Dove back into this last night and think I've made my way through most of Kefka's Tower by this point. I beat the rest of the dragons, sent Atma packing (Learned how to break the game with a spell combo that works on some bosses, so I admittedly cheesed this fight. ), earned another Esper, and found some decent loot. I've now beaten one of the Warring Triad (the mutant-like one) and am sure the other two are waiting for my other two groups. Might shuffle some gear and relics around first.

BruceCM

Going well, then, @Tyranexx .... I did the final tower in my game!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Tyranexx

Admittedly a couple of days late on this update (Very busy weekend with the holiday + a family B-day), but I beat FF VI on Friday! The other two members of the Warring Triad weren't too bad, and the final boss sequence...was interesting lol. I liked how you could essentially use all twelve members and have one subbed in by the game whenever someone died; however, I didn't realize that this wouldn't happen during the fight with Kefka himself. The party I was stuck with wasn't the most optimal. I was healing like crazy, but I've noticed many classic final bosses love bringing your entire party down to one HP with [insert cheesy move name here]. I was stuck using Gogo, Terra, Cyan, and Shadow for that fight. I still don't think I would've pulled through if I didn't give Shadow the Genji Glove/Offering combo. I won, but it took me a couple tries! XD I was told after the fact that I could've spammed a certain spell to make everything easier...but where's the fun in that? Not like I hadn't found said spell or anything....

Final Fantasy VI was definitely a good FF start for me, I think. I'm a huge fan of 16-bit graphics/the presentation (Other than aspects of the Mode 7 map; that was a bit hard on the eyes sometimes). The plot was decent with some very memorable scenes (The opera house, Ultros encounters, Terra's origin story, and the Phantom Train particularly stick out in my mind), the playable characters all have unique personalities and (mostly) fun gimmicks, and they're all very customizable using the Espers. The music in the game is very memorable. More tracks to hunt down for work listening, I believe! Relics are also quite fun to experiment around with and certainly provide plenty of utility (or light cheating lol).

The complaints I have are very minor. After playing more modern games lately, going back to random encounters in this game did become a bit wearisome at times; thankfully this is alleviated by a certain item, and encounters weren't completely unwelcome (Gotta get that EXP!). It's just that in some areas without breaks or where the mobs weren't worth your time, it started feeling like needless padding. I'm also not fully sold on the ATB system, but this by far isn't the only JRPG that uses a similar format. I do appreciate it for stirring up how traditional turn-based combat works.

Overall, VI is an excellent, excellent game. It speaks volumes when I do most of the side content! Thanks for all the help and tips, all! It'll probably be a bit before I jump into another Final Fantasy title, but I know what thread to come to when that happens!

BruceCM

Glad you enjoyed it, @Tyranexx .... Any idea which FF next, then?

SW-4357-9287-0699

Zeldafan79

Well as for my Final fantasy marathon I'm finally up to FF 3 and it's definitely less of a drag than FF 2. I like how they ditched that idiotic leveling system from the second game. The job system is pretty nice too. That overworld theme is really catchy! I mean in an 8-bit Midi sorta way. I'm up to the point where you go to this town full of vertically challenged people. The game calls them midgets LOL!

I am wondering something though. So far i met two characters who sorta joined my party but not really. I mean they follow you around but don't actually help in battle. They're just tag alongs i guess. Anyway do you ever meet characters besides the main 4 that you can actually swap out in battle or are you stuck with the same group the whole game?

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

BruceCM

No, your actual party is just those 4, @Zeldafan79 .... The 'tag alongs' are a bit hit & miss with how useful they are, sadly! Which version is this, though? I've only played DS one, with Android/ Steam ones being based on that

SW-4357-9287-0699

Eel

I love III, it's so easy to play it over and over and try out new character types. Though it's a bit on the simpler side story-wise.

I've never played the famicom version, but the PSP version had the genius addition of letting you choose which soundtrack to use. Wish that was a general feature across all versions of the game, specially now that the PS Vita shop is closing.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Zeldafan79

@BruceCM
I'm playing the translated Nes rom. I decided to kick it old school. I don't really care for the ugly visuals in the DS version. It hasn't aged well. Gives me PS1 flash backs ugh!

BruceCM

Perhaps because I played that 1st I quite like the style of the DS one, @Zeldafan79 .... Let us know how you get on with it, though!

SW-4357-9287-0699

Zeldafan79

@BruceCM
The cutscenes are nice and I'm sure they fixed or tweaked alot of issues with the original. I'll give it that. I guess i just wanted to stick with the versions that were released first. I'm a sucker for the Nes and snes graphics! I might still try the DS game someday.

Wargoose

I'm thinking about playing through FFVII Remake again, might give hard mode a go. Shame the Yuffie DLC is PS5 only. I can't justify the price to upgrade at the moment.

Wargoose

BruceCM

That's cool, @Zeldafan79 .... Just I'm not sure about some of the gameplay changes, so I wouldn't be as well able to help with particularly later parts of it Hopefully, there'd be someone around here more familiar with the older version if needed

SW-4357-9287-0699

Dezzy

@Wargoose

I'm deliberately waiting for Part 2 to come out before I replay Remake. I figure that way enough time will have passed that it will feel almost like a new experience again! Also, playing them straight after each other will be cool.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Tyranexx

@BruceCM Most likely X, when I do get around to it. I was debating between starting with that one or VI.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic