Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 66,801 to 66,820 of 67,104

JaxonH

Eh.

Assume worst case. Pokemon breaks records, Gamefreak learns absolutely nothing, and they continue with status quo indefinitely.

I really don't feel like that's much of a loss. But then again I'm not a big Pokemon fan, so.

Monster Hunter Rise Title Update 3 is out, btw! And. It's. Glorious.

PLAYING
NS: Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, Persona 5 Royal, Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

skywake

@JaxonH
I'm a pretty big fan so that's probably why it bugs me. I also felt like Splatoon 3 was a bit of a cash in and skipped it also despite being super into Splatoon. So was also annoyed when it also broke records.... although at least Splatoon 3 wasn't broken, so there's that

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I think December was going to be Advance Wars but Nintendo felt it was still unsuitable timing to release so they made do with DLC/updates being the December lineup meanwhile Advance Wars gets rescheduled for March (March 2023 is still in the same fiscal year as April 2022).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH Pokémon sell records, no matter the quality of the game, gen 10 could be a trainwreck, but is gonna sell records, at this point, is brand loyalty/nostalgia and copium that is making Pokémon sell so well.

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

jump

It’s interesting that so many people who were die hard defending Pokemon games in the past and now on the attack for it for the bugs and choppy performance. The biggest issue with the game for me is it’s just abit boring to play as rather than having a well crafted world to explore it’s just spaces with junk thrown into them which is being overlooked because of the bugs.

I’ve played it for a good bit now and it’s feels like I’m going into that blank space like when people spend hours and hours on social media/YouTube looking at any old rubbish but triggering the part of the brain that makes you think you’ve done something. I’m gonna give this game a rest for a bit to see if I ever gather the enthusiasm to play it again and give Bayonetta 3 a whirl. I hear there’s a blasphemous nudey witch in it which will make a nice change from the dog fighting simulator.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Buizel

@jump While I'm not going to excuse the bugs (although I've personally not encountered any) and poor performance, I feel like I'm a mutant or something for completely ignoring these factors when playing the game. I dunno, but when I get invested in a game world these things just suddenly fall from my radar.

But I'm tempted to agree about the open world. I do still feel that drive to explore, and although I do make a few exciting discoveries now-and-then, I find myself spending an overwhelming amount of time wondering "is that all?". I think the cities are particularly egregious - they're more-or-less just copy-pasted shops with a bunch of NPCs that offer almost nothing of value. How does the largest city in Pokemon history have less to do in it (outside of the academy) than the average city from Red and Blue?

Also, is it just me coming off Persona 5, or are the battles really slow?

Still, much like Sonic Frontiers, I think this title is a step in the right direction and I'd much rather explore a somewhat barren open world of my own accord than have another painfully restricted tour of the region a la Pokemon Sun and Moon.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I totally forgot Advance Wars was a thing, but surely March 2023 isn’t going to be any different to releasing it now? This war isn’t going to end any time soon so weird decision if true.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

skywake

@jump
IMO the Pokemon games on the DS were generally pretty great and I remember most of the criticism during that era was the continued use of sprites. Which didn't bother me. The 3DS ones had their issues but I think on the 3DS a bit of slowdown was more tolerable given it was a portable system. Sun/Moon in particular were pretty fresh takes super late in the 3DS' life, IMO they felt more limited by the platform than anything

I think the Switch era gets a bit murky. Sword and Shield were just ok. Not broken, not must have entries. Just ok. I enjoyed them but didn't feel compelled to dive into the post game or get the DLC. The Lets Go games I didn't get the appeal of but I'm sure were fine. The Diamond/Pearl remakes I haven't picked up but I'm sure are fine. Arceus has its issues but is enough of a gamble I don't think we can be too critical of it, and it was novel enough that I felt like I got my money's worth from it

But Scarlet and Violet? The Switch is capable enough and has been around long enough that there really isn't much of an excuse. They should have probably spent this year polishing Arceus rather than trying to rush out a "new generation" game

Some Aussie musics: King Gizz, TFS, Genesis Owusu
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

link3710

@skywake I think one thing you missed is that SwSh literally didn't have post-games. Like, there was the gym quest (which was short, but still more fun than anything in the main game), a neutered battle tower, and that was it. The only game that had less post-game content than that were gen 1, as they stripped off all the post-game content to put it in the DLC.

Like yes, the DLC fixed those games greatly, but the fact that the DLC blew the base game out of the water isn't a good sign, and even the DLC couldn't fix the fact that the base game they were built on was rushed to death.

Regarding your other post, Splatoon 3 at least feels much better to play than Splatoon 2, despite lacking anything super major. I'm hoping by the end of it's cycle it'll have blown Splatoon 2 out of the water, it's still possible. I do think the game absolutely should have launched with at least 50% more maps though.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Crisis Core preorder is up on the eshop, file size is 14.2 GB. A lot of games nowadays are very close to the 16 GB cartridge limit, yes I know there's 32GB carts but virtually no one uses them.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core preload is live on the eShop

Standard Version $49.99

Digital Deluxe Version $69.99

Kinda pricey for the Digital Deluxe. It comes with a digital "mini soundtrack" and digital "artbook". Which, for $20 extra, Idk. If it was $10 extra, or if it was a full soundtrack, it would seem more reasonable.

But whatever I'm buying it anyways 🤪

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

When It Takes Two released, I remember a lot of reviewers trashing the visuals and how it's "typical blurry Switch multiplat fare".

But watching a comparison video, it holds up extremely well. Both visually and performance wise. Even the initial load time is drastically improved over the PS4 version (continuing after death is 15 sec vs 10 sec though, so ever so slightly slower). For all the hoopla over Bayonetta 3 dropping to 50 fps with claims of "technical shortcomings" that are "disappointing", nobody seemed to share those opinions with It Takes Two on PS4 despite dropping all the way down into the 30's. Switch version actually locks 30 flawlessly.

And tbh the Switch version doesn't even look all that different. If you do a 4x zoom it does, and perhaps the cutscenes look rougher, but man. Maybe I'm just crazy but it sure seems like there's overexaggerated criticism with Switch games that doesn't apply to games on other platforms.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

kaisu

@JaxonH all the others platforms focus more on power as a marketing strategy, and have some sort of upgrade that resolves optimization issues. So Nintendo is the strange company that everyone likes to bash just because they don't follow the "market standard", even tough the others also have plenty of performance/fidelity issues like sub-720p Xbox series s/one games, not native/full speed ps4 games and stutters on medium range gpus, But as there is $400-1000 "fixes" nobody cares about it

kaisu

Kermit1Pineapple

I think with the new leader Nintendo is gonna try to play things safe.

Currently playing: life

#TeamSlime

Known to be quirky on occasion

Giancarlothomaz

@JaxonH acording to the leaked Nvidia data, that could have revealed the Switch sucessor specs, Nintendo is gonna use DSLL 2.0 and Ray-tracing on docked mode(yes Ray-tracing on a Nintendo console) meaning they could use this tecnology to make more demading games much easier to run on Switch sucessor and possibly Nintendo own games too, @Kermit1Pineaple safe in what aspect? i doubt Switch sucessor is gonna be a plain more powerful version of Switch, Nintendo don't work like that, they don't do interate version of a console for it sucessor like Sony/Microsoft did, Nintendo will surely do something no one expected for the Switch sucessor.

Edited on by Giancarlothomaz

i like HD Rumble.

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Don't get excited for raytracing on the next Switch. For one, it's a MASSIVE resource hog. Even PS5 games using it have to cut down reflections to 1080p just to make it viable. For two, it's largely a fad (imo) that doesn't really change how games look. It can in some, when the entire lighting is raytraced rather than just reflections and stuff (I've seen Minecraft and it's wow). But using its full capability in that respect is, as mentioned, a massive resource hog even 9th gen power consoles can't fully utilize.

The other thing is raytracing on Nvidia depends on CUDA cores. As it just so happens, there's something else that depends on CUDA cores- DLSS. And I can almost guarantee you, the next Switch having CUDA cores is not so it can do raytracing, it's so it can do DLSS. Now, that's not to say no game would ever use it for raytracing, but if even power hungry 9th gen consoles struggle with it, it's hard to imagine a portable hybrid system running on 10-15 watts and more in line with 8th gen consoles somehow utilizing it.

Basically what I'm saying is, the CUDA cores will be for DLSS, not raytracing, which won't really be viable on a system of that power level.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
SD/PC:
XSX:
PS5:

Jesus is Lord.

Kermit1Pineapple

@JaxonH ray-tracing is a gen 11 thing

Currently playing: life

#TeamSlime

Known to be quirky on occasion