Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,421 to 64,440 of 70,081

Grumblevolcano

I think Nintendo's the only one of the three where putting their exclusives on PC would be very damaging to their console business given Switch is nowhere near diminishing returns territory.

We've already seen Xbox thrive with day 1 PC releases so there's not much to say on that front. Meanwhile the gap between PS5 and PC is very much in diminishing returns territory. Like with the exception of VR, framerates above 60fps are rather unnecessary and at the moment it's only the 3rd party current gen only games like Gotham Knights that are unable to reach that.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Buizel

@Grumblevolcano Agree. It wouldn't be a good look for Nintendo to have PC versions vastly outperforming the versions on Nintendo's own hardware, despite the latter having the benefit of portability (Steam deck is a thing though...)

But I'd also say a large factor is the difference in marketing and business models. Although PS and XB exclusives are popular in their own right, people tend to buy into the platforms/ecosystems rather than the specific exclusives. Conversely, the Nintendo brand is highly reliant on its exclusive games.

At least 2'8".

Pizzamorg

It is interesting to think about the loss and gain of the Nintendo business strategy. IE, how much money is lost by not making use of multiple platforms versus how much they make by forcing you to engage with their ecosystem, and rarely offering significant discounts on their pillar franchises. They effectively lock you in, you either play at full price on their hardware or don't play at all.

I know people who are pure in on Nintendo have convinced themselves that upscaled 1080p 30fps gaming on the Switch's ancient hardware is fine but that is pure cope and you can be in denial as much as you like. Raw fidelity and high frame rates don't make for great games on their own of course, but as good as Nintendo's design may be, all of it is held back by Nintendo and the Switch.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years we'll get a Xenoblade, or a Pokemon Game, or a Zelda game that looks like Ghost of Tsushima does, but then who knows where everything else will be by then. It does feel like the leap between console generations is getting smaller, so the divide may end up not as significant as it feels right now, but that is cope on my part. As all we have right now is what we have, and the divide started big and is only getting bigger and bigger every year.

Life to the living, death to the dead.

Ryu_Niiyama

@Grumblevolcano most certainly. Exclusives create value add and leverage creative diversity. But I only mentioned if gaming was homogeneous from a practical preference perspective. Since I was talking about console preferences.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

skywake

Ryu_Niiyama wrote:

I suspect if Nintendo put their exclusives on PC (not bringing emulation into this convo) many folks that prefer PC would stop buying a console.

(Aggressive nodding)

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Fizza

Well with repairs seemingly out of the question due to the possibility of lost save data (Pokemon has an iron-will grip over me), it seems like I'll have to get a brand new Switch and transfer everything over again (I haven't even had this blasted thing for a year 😡).
Untitled
To anyone situated in Ireland or is familiar with Irish shops, does anyone know a good place to get a regular Switch on the (relatively) cheap? I don't want a Lite since I play my Switch on the TV a bunch and an OLED is almost certainly out of the question (no matter how badly I want Pokemon SV's one) so if you know any good places for a regular Switch, do let me know. Smyths' regular price is €300 if that helps with what I'm kind of looking to get below (oh, and I am 100% not going to sites like eBay).

Edited on by Fizza

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Mega Man 11 (Switch)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Ralizah

Nintendo's console is actually the only one I'd still continue to purchase if all games went to PC, since it's the only platform that offers seamless hybrid play. I gain nothing, really, by purchasing a PS5/XSX vs just upgrading my PC.

Not that this would happen. Nintendo isn't a Western company that prizes raw profit per title above all else. They know there's boundless value in keeping their treasure trove of first-party IP gated behind their own hardware and ecosystem.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

jump

@Fizza could you wait a month for the next Pokemon game? There’s likely to be bundle deals for it when it comes out.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Ryu_Niiyama

@skywake lol for some reason I’m seeing bowser head banging while driving.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Grumblevolcano

Looking at reviews, the Persona 5 Royal port is very well done which is fantastic.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

StarPoint

I'm really glad that the P5R port is looking great. People have been wanting this game on the system for years and I'm really glad that Atlus and Sega didn't disappoint.

"Science compels us to explode the sun!"

Currently playing:

Persona 3 Reload (PC)
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy (PC)

JaxonH

Hybrid handheld gamers have been catching W's non-stop lately...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

...with more to come

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Magician

@JaxonH

RPG fans will be eating well over the next six months on Switch.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

Add another one to the list

Untitled

@Magician
Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Same score.

Which, from everything I've seen I feel it deserves to be higher (will confirm after playing), but that's how reviews go. They're only accurate to a +/-5 point margin of error.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic