Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 64,441 to 64,460 of 70,011

JaxonH

@Giancarlothomaz
Kinda.

Any time you use a sample to infer something about an entire population, you're going to have margin of error. In the case of reviews, a select group of 50-100 opinions are used to infer how millions of gamers will feel about the game. Of course, I'm just speculating it's +/- 5 points. We have no way of really knowing without polling the entire population of players who played a game, ensuring none of the answers are biased, matching that up with the MC average, and doing that for multiple games to see what the correlation is and how far off they are from each other 95% of the time.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MsJubilee

@JaxonH Those burgers look delicious.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Rambler

@JaxonH

JaxonH wrote:

@Giancarlothomaz
Kinda.

Any time you use a sample to infer something about an entire population, you're going to have margin of error. In the case of reviews, a select group of 50-100 opinions are used to infer how millions of gamers will feel about the game. Of course, I'm just speculating it's +/- 5 points. We have no way of really knowing without polling the entire population of players who played a game, ensuring none of the answers are biased, matching that up with the MC average, and doing that for multiple games to see what the correlation is and how far off they are from each other 95% of the time.

You are going to encounter sampling errors but they can be overcome by designing a survey correctly. Metacritic will inherently have sampling errors and sampling bias, which essentially cannot be overcome.
So in one sense, the MC user score as a number is meaningless; however, if combined with information about users (age, sex, location... ahem), that may be of note.

Rambler

jump

I think people are forgetting one of the most important things about game reviews, if it's not a 9 or 10 then it's unplayable garbage!

In this day and age the main use of a review is to see if that new fancy game is a broken mess or not on launch which is normally the first thing I look for in a review.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

Persona 5 Royal is looking good in handheld mode

@jump
Pretty much.

I group reviews into 3 categories.

0-5 = can probably ignore
6-7 = investigate if personally interested
8-10 = safe to buy if personally interested

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Kermit1doesmath

I like to just dive in avoiding most scores. That's how I found games like Promesa (it's one of the best looking games on Switch no joke).

dysgraphia awareness human

Ninfan

Does anyone play resident evil village, is it a battle royal game or something similar ?

Ninfan

Ralizah

@JaxonH SWOLED footage.

There's a LOT of black in this game, so it's going to look really good on the new display.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

NintendoByNature

Got my sparks of hope pre-order in from best buy and they gave me a $10 gift card for pre-ordering it. Not sure if that's nation wide or not though.

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@Ralizah
[Salivates...]

It looks sooo good in handheld, especially on the OLED. This port couldn't possibly have turned out any better. It's essentially the PS4 version on an OLED in the palm of your hands.

JaxonH

@NintendoByNature
Ya they've had that deal since the game was announced. But Gamestop offers an exclusive steelbook with the Gold version, so I ordered both. Plan to sell the Gold version on eBay to recoup costs. Already buying the Gold digitally anyways.

JaxonH

And Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope handheld footage.

Gosh dang we've reached the pinnacle of this generation. Switch games looking better than ever in handheld mode.

Kermit1doesmath

IDK if anyone cares but this is cool... GBG is starting to get really really cool and not many people really care sadly, this year people found a way to make 3D models with animations something once thought undo-able with the game's limited engine, and now more people are creating really good looking and playing games, this week I saw someone made a skate boarding game based on SKATE 2 and it was great. I feel this game is going to have a quiet death before people call it a "hidden gem" or "cult classic".

Anyway here's a cool video showing off HD Rumble.

dysgraphia awareness human

blindsquirrel

@Kermit1
The only reason I didn’t get the game is because you can’t search up community games. That would be my only use for it, since I am to stupid to code anything.

Currently playing: Pokemon Soul Silver, Mario RPG
Enos 1:15

Buizel

It's unbelievable how excited I am to play Persona 5, a game I've already completed twice, on the Switch this Friday.

The Switch has already given me some of my favourite games of all time (Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Three Houses) and has for years cemented itself as my favourite system of all time.

But this is something else. Up until now, Persona 5 has been my favourite game unavailable on a Nintendo console. So excited to experience this on the OLED.

People complained and made fun of the "port begging" for many years. But in the end we're getting yet another 10/10 generation-defining experience on the hybrid.

Edited on by Buizel

At least 2'8".

Grumblevolcano

Crazy how the Game Awards 2018 saga is nearly at a close. It started with rumours of Metroid Prime 4 and Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch info which didn't happen but instead we got Joker in Smash Ultimate setting up nearly 4 years of Atlus trolling Switch owners over Persona 5 not being on the Switch.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

Remember P5R and P5S?

And fans speculated the P5S was a Persona 5 Switch reference? Then it turned out to be Strikers, which was also for Switch, but ppl lost all hope and said it was never happening...

Pepperidge Farm remembers

Buizel

@JaxonH Still a shame that Strikers came out over 1.5 years before Royal on Switch, given that it's a sequel. It might've slipped under a few people's radars (or they might otherwise have been put off) for that reason.

I do hope newcomers to Persona 5 move on to Strikers when they feel ready. It's an excellent game and a deserving sequel.

At least 2'8".

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic