Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,881 to 58,900 of 69,993

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH I would always purchase the DLC rather than use the sub to get the DLC but if putting DLC in the subscription prevents microtransactions from infecting paid 1st party Switch games and you can purchase the DLC normally then its a win-win for everyone.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

rallydefault

MsJubilee wrote:

@rallydefault The problem is the quality of this service. It's now reaching the point it will sell for the same price as PS+ & Xbox Live. Which to me, they're both better services(Better deals, free games, better servers) and I hate paying to play online. I think it's dumb. Yes, it's optional, of course, it is. Everything is to an extent, but Nintendo still never fixed the problems the basic online service has. Crappy servers, no messaging, no party's, etc.

Another thing I have a problem with is that Nintendo has never given(maybe I'm wrong) a schedule on when they will add more titles. Hell, I don't think Nintendo did that with the Snes games. It's just random. This service is Russian roulette.

Like streaming services, I think it's all subjective person to person.

All of these streaming services cost within a few bucks of each other, but depending on who you are and what you prefer, certain things seem like better values.

I've been subbed to both Xbox Live and PS Plus. They were both meh, in my opinion. Every now and then there was a really good game for free, but most of the time my money felt wasted unless I was playing tons of CoD or something else online almost daily.

I prefer Nintendo's approach with opening up this back catalog. You know exactly what games you're getting initially, and the cool thing is that (so far) they're not rotating anything and making some go away. I'm also not a hardcore Smash player, so most of my online is with MK8 and stuff like Pokemon or Fire Emblem: stuff that a bit of ping isn't going to ruin the experience or even be noticeable most of the time. I get that some people play twitchy games online that need more response. My response to that is you're bonkers in the first place if you're playing something like Fortnite or Apex on Switch if you have access to it on literally anything else. I've never viewed my Nintendo consoles as the place I go for online gaming, so yea. No love lost on the servers thing.

For me, I'm stoked to go back to N64 games. It's worth it for me.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

My brother now wants an OLED Switch after seeing mine. Just gave him my Dragon Quest Limited Edition v2 Switch for his birthday, since I had an extra anyways and don't need it anymore. Not once has he visited where his Switch didn't die. I keep a special portable battery ready to go just for him when he comes over 😀

Figured he'll appreciate the near double battery life from the v2. He was super thrilled. Don't think he was expecting a big gift.

But ya, time to scope the alerts for him. I do have an extra but I already told my co-worker he could buy it off me (because he wants one too now having seen mine- it's actually rather impressive that everyone I show it to ends up suddenly wanting one).

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

My brother now wants an OLED Switch after seeing mine. Just gave him my Dragon Quest Limited Edition v2 Switch for his birthday, since I had an extra anyways and don't need it anymore. Not once has he visited where his Switch didn't die. I keep a special portable battery ready to go just for him when he comes over 😀

Figured he'll appreciate the near double battery life from the v2. He was super thrilled. Don't think he was expecting a big gift.

But ya, time to scope the alerts for him. I do have an extra but I already told my co-worker he could buy it off me (because he wants one too now having seen mine- it's actually rather impressive that everyone I show it to ends up suddenly wanting one).

Wait, what? Do you just buy dozens of Switches? Why?

Life to the living, death to the dead.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Are we really going down the road of questing and condescending toward others over what they do with their own money?

There is a reason and story behind every Switch I've ever purchased. But I don't feel I need to justify myself to anyone. If you're genuinely curious I'd be happy to indulge you.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
Are we really going down the road of questing and condescending toward others over what they do with their own money?

No condescension, just curiosity.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
Bought the original Switch on launch day. Then bought the Lite and v2 in 2019, and gave the OG Switch to my mom for Ring Fit. However, I ordered an extra DQ Switch because special editions have a habit of being canceled. Then someone here on the site was having trouble finding that DQ Switch so I kept the order even after my other shipped. Turned out they got one from PlayAsia. So I had an extra I used to display on the shelf (and it's still displayed on the shelf today).

I then ordered the Monster Hunter Switch because I'm a diehard MH fan. I have the MH4U New 3DS XL, the MHGen New 3DS XL, and the Rathalos edition PS4 Pro all on display. So the MH Rise Switch was non-negotiable.

Then the OLED released, and again I ordered two in case one got canceled (and good thing because my Walmart order got delayed and didn't arrive til yesterday). I got it for $299 on a weird price match glitch. So I have an extra, and am going to sell it to my co-worker.

So ya, the only Switches I have and use are the OLED, and the Lite. The v1 was given as a gift, my old DQ Switch was given as a gift, and I still have a DQ and MH Switch on display.

Hand me down gifts kinda save money and hassle of selling large weight items on eBay.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
Bought the original Switch on launch day. Then bought the Lite and v2 in 2019, and gave the OG Switch to my mom for Ring Fit. However, I ordered an extra DQ Switch because special editions have a habit of being canceled. Then someone here on the site was having trouble finding that DQ Switch so I kept the order even after my other shipped. Turned out they got one from PlayAsia. So I had an extra I used to display on the shelf (and it's still displayed on the shelf today).

I then ordered the Monster Hunter Switch because I'm a diehard MH fan. I have the MH4U New 3DS XL, the MHGen New 3DS XL, and the Rathalos edition PS4 Pro all on display. So the MH Rise Switch was non-negotiable.

Then the OLED released, and again I ordered two in case one got canceled (and good thing because my Walmart order got delayed and didn't arrive til yesterday). I got it for $299 on a weird price match glitch. So I have an extra, and am going to sell it to my co-worker.

So ya, the only Switches I have and use are the OLED, and the Lite. The v1 was given as a gift, my old DQ Switch was given as a gift, and I still have a DQ and MH Switch on display.

Hand me down gifts kinda save money and hassle of selling large weight items on eBay.

Fair enough! If you've got the money, then that sounds like quite the cool collection. I am sure all those special editions will be worth something one day, a nice investment for the kids one day.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
I went insanely overboard with 3DS. I had so many I was literally giving them away to ppl running ads on Craigslist wanting donations for Christmas gifts for their kids. Gave one to my coworker for Christmas too. In retrospect, I wouldn't have bought nearly as many. Just the Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem editions, and the upgrades with each revision.

I vowed to not buy as many Switches. So far doing OK. I don't plan on buying any more unless a new revision releases, or a cool special edition drops for Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, the next Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 3, Zelda BotW 2 or Metroid Prime 4.

If there's one thing I've learned from owning multiple Switches, is that I have grown to despise applying tempered glass and getting it perfect without a single hair or dust particle. Once is fine. After multiple Switch applications, it becomes incredibly aggravating and something I hate looking forward to doing.

Pizzamorg

JaxonH wrote:

@Pizzamorg
I went insanely overboard with 3DS. I had so many I was literally giving them away to ppl running ads on Craigslist wanting donations for Christmas gifts for their kids. Gave one to my coworker for Christmas too. In retrospect, I wouldn't have bought nearly as many. Just the Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem editions, and the upgrades with each revision.

I vowed to not buy as many Switches. So far doing OK. I don't plan on buying any more unless a new revision releases, or a cool special edition drops for Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak, the next Fire Emblem, Xenoblade 3, Zelda BotW 2 or Metroid Prime 4.

If there's one thing I've learned from owning multiple Switches, is that I have grown to despise applying tempered glass and getting it perfect without a single hair or dust particle. Once is fine. After multiple Switch applications, it becomes incredibly aggravating and something I hate looking forward to doing.

Haha, it sounds like you are a good friend to have around! I honestly don't earn enough to be able to justify buying the special editions of consoles, unless it is the only version of the console I own. I mean the fact I own so many consoles and a PC in itself is kinda novel to me, as we didn't have a lot of money growing up either. However, if I had the money, I would probably do the same thing as I love collecting stuff and chose to pick up the Rise special edition Switch as my first, rather than the regular one, even if it was slightly more expensive.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
You got the MH Rise special edition Switch? Did you get the Pro Controller as well? It's a nice collector edition.

I've blown a lot of money on physical Switch games and CEs. Maybe overcompensating from all those yrs of feeling deprived. But I'm running out of room to store games and merch, so I think after this generation, I'm done with physical media. I've already gone 100% digital on PS5 and Steam- Switch is the last hold out. Gonna finish up this gen and... that's it. All digital after that.

I regret a lot of the figures I purchased. I have like 7 of the Monster Hunter Creator's models on my shelf, with the Fatalis preordered and the Palamute statue preordered. I wanted to cancel Fatalis because it's SO BIG. I'll have to put it on the floor or something. It's MASSIVE. But PlayAsia shut down cancelations after a certain date. So I guess I'm stuck getting it.

The figures add up and become too much. Even amiibo- I own every amiibo made to date (barring cereal and cards, etc) and I had to stash a bunch of Super Mario Bros series amiibo in the closet. No room. If I only had amiibo, and 1/7 scale statues for Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, and the MH creators models, it would still be a lot, but manageable. But I got sucked into Nendoroids and Figmas and all that crap a few yrs back. I'm thinking of boxing it all up.

Switch, 3DS and DS Games
Untitled

Monster Hunter Shelf
Untitled

PS4 and Vita Games
Untitled

Fire Emblem Shelf + GC, Wii, Wii U Games
Untitled

Merch Shelf
Untitled

Figure Shelf
Untitled

Original Smash Bros Amiibo Shelf
[Not Shown]

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Nice sized collection. Especially considering that you are relatively newer to the hobby from what I have gathered from your posts. You might want to toss those pics into the swag/memorabilia thread for further discussion.

I think my collection is modest but I am not looking forward to setting it back up when I move next year (put it off due to the pandemic).

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Pizzamorg

@JaxonH your collection is so cool! I hope to one day have something like that set up in my house. When I moved, I actually got rid of so much of my merch because I have nowhere to properly display it and it was a PITA to move, all I have left is now just in one small cabinet. I had also gone almost entirely digital for games, due to me moving to basically just Steam and Gamepass, however, it does sometimes work out cheaper to buy physical Switch games rather than doing it through the digital storefront which is weird. I just don't have the room to store physical games though, I had to stop collecting BluRays for the same reason. I just plugged up every spare space I had with them and then decided enough was enough. Hopefully one day I move into a place big enough that I can have a proper set up like yours.

I also didn't get the Rise pro controller, I only found out after I bought the regular Pro controller that a Rise one existed

1UP_MARIO

@JaxonH beautiful collection. Love it

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

JaxonH

@Pizzamorg
There's something to be said for a minimalist setup. For one, you save a ton of cash on merch that, let's be honest, is just an indulgence. It also doesn't clutter your space. I kept having to buy more shelves. And another one. And then another one. They'd just keep filling up.

I think what made me want a collection was this YouTube channel called Nintendo Collecting. He ran a "Nintendo Collecting 101" series that gave tips and stuff, showed off collector items, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Of course, he has an massive basement and add on room filled to the brim with merch and games. Probably $100k worth. It's a sight to behold. Custom NES tables, every color N64 system ever made boxed up, thousands of games...

I was like, OK. I'll NEVER be able to have a collection like that. But, I can start small and accumulate over the years. It's crazy how fast it adds up.

@Ryu_Niiyama
Back in 2012 before I bought my Wii U, I had nothing except a 3DS with Zelda Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64 3D, Street Fighter IV 3D and Resident Evil Revelations, and a Vita with Unit 13, Wipeout 2048, Call of Duty Black Ops 2: Declassified and Uncharted Golden Abyss. I remember my brother going off about this "Xenoblade" game on the Wii and how awesome it was. Made me want to buy some Wii games. Started watching eBay and snatching up games in auctions. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Xenoblade, Zelda Twilight Princess, etc. Soon I was buying GameCube games. Then DS games... it's why I don't have nearly as many games for systems before 3DS/Wii U.

Maybe I will share in the swag thread. That's a good idea.

I hate moving. Especially when you have to move your gaming collection. It SUCKS. I had to do it once before, and I hated it. And that was 7 yrs ago. Probably had 10% of what I have now.

JaxonH

@1UP_MARIO
Thanks! Only a gamer can appreciate a gaming collection. Non-gamers probably see it and think, huh?

Ralizah

@JaxonH Really impressive set-up! I'll admit, I'm low-key jealous about those Pyra/Mythra figures.

With that said, I've been thinking about going in the opposite direction for a while. Not quite full minimalist, but some decluttering would do me well. I'm planning on letting off the gas with all of these purchases soon anyway.

My goal for the next few year is to just skate by with the essential purchases and work on my backlog.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Thanks 😊 Pyra and Mythra and KOS-MOS will soon be joined by Melia. That's why there's a space to the left.

I get it. Space is constantly an issue, and another 10 yrs at this pace simply won't do. Once Switch generation wraps up, that's it. I'm done. Exceptions will be made only for the highest priority items.

It's fun for a while. But there does come a point where it's like, ok. If I buy this it's just gonna get crammed on the shelf, another brick in the wall. But having already bought so many Switch games I can't just abandon the Switch collection with only 2-3 yrs left in the cycle.

Also, I've learned it's better to have 6 figures on a shelf spread out looking orderly and aesthetically pleasing, than to cram 10 figures on a shelf to fit them all, and then it just looks cluttered. Less is more in many cases.

Ryu_Niiyama

Just noticed that boxboy amiibo. Super nice! I’m not paying what scalpers want for that thing though.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

JaxonH

Anyone want a Switch OLED?

Switch OLED BUY ME!!! $392 USD shipped to US

Switch OLED Amazon UK for British fellows

The white version (and maybe neon also) is available right now on Amazon Italy for $392 USD shipped to the USA. That's only $27 more than it would cost here after tax.

They're gonna be OOS for a while. So if you missed out and were hoping to grab one, just open an Amazon.it account, use Google Chrome which auto translates to English, and you're golden.

I regularly order from Amazon.it and Amazon.fr and Amazon.es and Amazon.de and Amazon.co.jp and Amazon.co.uk for importing so I already had an account and don't need translating to make a purchase (just hit yellow buttons through checkout lol). But my address and payment is already saved.

@Ryu_Niiyama
I heard that thing was crazy expensive now. I imported it for like $15 shipped from Amazon Japan back when it released.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic