Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 58,001 to 58,020 of 69,981

Ralizah

lol In, like, a generation and a half, Steam went from getting almost no Japanese-developed games to getting almost all the games from everywhere. Truly inspirational. To think it all started with Sega taking a chance on porting Valkyria Chronicles to that service, and PC gamers seeing a golden opportunity and jumping on it.

If Steam is getting Bravely 2, then I imagine the Xbox port will probably hit GamePass before too awful long.

@Magician In this day and age, it's safe to assume that any third-party "exclusive" will eventually go to PC.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Magician

@Ralizah

Yeah, I agree for the most part, third party exclusives landing on Steam eventually. The only exception seems to be second party contracted games. I don't see Bayonetta 2 or Astral Chain landing on Steam any time soon.

Edited on by Magician

Switch Physical Collection - 1,247 games (as of April 15th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

JaxonH

Almost all 3rd party games go to PC nowadays. It makes the games more financially viable, which is a good thing because it means more of them, which means more console exclusives tailored to the system. Pure exclusives have to perform better to justify their existence. The aid of Steam sales makes it far more likely the game will pay off and more will come down the pipeline.

All of Xbox's games are on PC now. The overwhelming majority of 3rd party games on PS have gone to PC, and now even their 1st party are too. Switch won't be any different. It's why we saw Octopath Traveler, Monster Hunter Rise and Monster Hunter Stories 2 on PC.

What's funny though is nobody seems to care about the game or talk about it at all, until word breaks it's getting a PC port, then all of a sudden it's a hot topic of interest. Like, "I don't actually care about the game or want to play it myself, but God forbid anyone else enjoy it- I just wanted it as a trophy piece for bragging rights".

Port it all to PC. For real. Take em all. I'm tired of the exclusive shenanigans. We're getting 10x more Sony and MS games coming to PC than we're seeing Switch games go to PC. That's an incredibly fair trade off.

Especially since Switch games retain their hybrid advantage. There's still reason to buy on Switch versus anywhere else. Can't really say the same for games on other systems, where once they go PC, there's essentially no reason to buy anywhere else.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH It'll be interesting to see how well games like Octopath, Daemon X Machina, MH Rise, NMH3, etc. run on the Steam Deck.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I mean, Octopath will likely look no different. It's pixel art. And given DxM doesn't look much different on my 2080 ti, it'll also probably be pretty similar.

Monster Hunter Rise will look even better- probably on par with World, though without cross save I'm not starting over on my 450 hr save file.

NMH3 isn't announced for Steam. Though it may down the line. But it's not hard to imagine how it would look. Probably exactly the same but with better performance.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

So apparently KOF XV isn't coming to Switch at all

Honestly kind of surprising. I thought SNK was really on a roll when it came to putting out their recent fighting games on absolutely every platform. It's weird how it's going to be on both PS4 and PS5 but for Xbox they made it strictly next gen and it won't be coming to Xbox One at all

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Probably because there’s no market for it.

Samurai Showdown seriously flopped on Switch. I thought people would want SNK fighters on Switch, but clearly I was mistaken. There was barely any interest all. Which, that’s fine I guess. People want what they want. Switch isn’t a very good platform for technical D-pad fighters, tbh. It’s fine for casual play. For people like me who just like to play some Ultra Street Fighter II from time to time. But I’m pretty sure the niche of fighting fan diehards are all on PS and PC.

That said, other fighters have done well enough on Switch thanks to casual demand. Not sure what it is about SNK fighters that failed to pique peoples’ interest.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH My assumption as to why SamSho flopped was due to the fact I'm pretty sure it came out like a year and then some after the original versions, so everyone who wanted to play it ASAP already did on those platforms and the Switch version was specifically with people who primarily play on Switch. I thought it'd do decently based on the amount of legacy SNK games on the eShop including other SamSho games so there had to be an audience for it. Kind of surprising that isn't the case.

Then again, Switch isn't exactly my go to platform for fighting games either. Most of the ones I like tend to skip Nintendo platforms in favor of Sony/PC anyway so I just play them on those but I thought there was a market for something like that on Switch. Seemed like a great platform for something like practicing before tournaments or casual play

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Magician

TheFrenchiestFry wrote:

So apparently KOF XV isn't coming to Switch at all.

Is that confirmed? I'm hopeful SNK is cribbing from Activision's playbook. Playstation release first, Switch release later. Get core gamers to double dip.

The SamSho 2019 Switch port is excellent. It would be a shame to not have the flagship SNK franchise's newest entry on Switch.

Edited on by Magician

Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

TheFrenchiestFry

@Magician Yeah it's confirmed. SNK just tweeted out during Gamescom that it's coming to PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC via the Microsoft Store, EGS and Steam

TheFrenchiestFry

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry Absence of a XB1 version makes it feel like a specs situation. XB1 is noticeably weaker than PS4 and Switch is weaker than XB1.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Magician

@TheFrenchiestFry

Eh, I'd rather not treat unannounced platforms as confirmation.

We'll know for sure this time next year whether or not a Switch port will or won't happen.

I highly doubt SNK are silly enough to skip their country's most popular platform.

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Even if it had launched day and date, the people who follow the series probably were never considering the Switch for it anyways, so I don’t think that had much effect. Most sales for switch games come from gamers who primarily play on Switch and have no interest in other platforms, and multi console gamers willing to double dip for hybrid play. Late ports have been selling ever since Skyrim and Doom launched in 2017.

That said, @Magician does make a fair point. Absence of announcement with other platforms is hardly confirmation it’s not coming. Absence of evidence not being evidence of absence and all that. In fact, in the vast majority of cases, Switch versions are announced separately, after the fact. It’s almost expected at this point.

That’s not to say I’m convinced it’s coming, because Samurai Showdown did make it clear there’s little interest. But I don’t think the lack of announcement alongside other platforms is evidence of anything beyond releasing later for Switch, which is pretty much the status quo at this point anyways.

Hence the all too common phrase, “I’ll wait for the Switch version to be announced”.

Edited on by JaxonH

Magician

@TheFrenchiestFry

For example, is there a Switch logo at the end of early SamSho 2019 trailers?

JaxonH

Dying Light Platinum Edition for Switch confirmed!

• Gyro Aiming
  • HD Rumble
  • All DLC
  • Witcher 3 grade physical release

Untitled

This game is going to be great in handheld mode on Switch Lite. I have it on Steam and it's pretty fluid.

Ooh. The night time segments will look especially nice on the Switch OLED with inky blacks.

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

@Magician I guess that's a fair point but if it ain't coming to Xbox One I have my doubts. The PS4 is already more powerful technically than the base XB1 and the Switch is even less powerful than that. It's using UE4 which is clearly something Switch has no trouble handling based on even SamSho using that same engine among a bunch of other third party games, but the platform rollout for this particular game, especially for such a big name fighting game series is confusing to say the least

Part of me thinks the lack of an XB1 version despite a PS4 version has to somehow do with Sony's leverage in the FGC now that they also own EVO and the games in this year's lineup all happened to either be fighting games on PlayStation or even PlayStation-exclusive

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry Oh yeah, is Smash permanently gone from EVO now since Sony owns it? Kinda sad for that scene to be excluded if that's the case.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@link3710 The press release did state that Sony's shared ownership over the tournament didn't exclude games on non-Sony platforms from being included, but for multi-platform games for example, the PlayStation versions are now the permanent tournament standard, and nothing's really been said from either Microsoft or Nintendo regarding the fate of games like Smash Bros. or Killer Instinct returning to EVO beyond the fact they're "exploring options"

I don't know if Nintendo would exactly be comfortable however, with the prospect of a Smash tournament filled with advertisements like "Sponsored by Sony Interactive Entertainment" or plugs for the PS5

TheFrenchiestFry

link3710

@TheFrenchiestFry Dang no KI either... I didn't watch EVO this year because none of the games really interested me (except maaaaybe SkullGirls, that can be fun to watch), but I didn't realize it was basically gone for good as it used to be. Pretty sad to realize. With FighterZ out of the scene as well, I might just stop watching EVO moving forward altogether.

link3710

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic