Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,341 to 57,360 of 69,995

link3710

@JaxonH I assume you meant titles that would take 15W on other systems? Power draw is power draw, you're not going to be able to reduce battery usage without drawing less power.

Still... we shall see. I'm not buying that this thing won't have abysmal battery life (or you know, randomly explode on planes) quite yet, at least until we see how it performs out in the wild.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

@JaxonH I got Skyward Sword. Didn't know DF did a look at it. They've not touched Switch games since...blimey. DOOM Eternal a few months late?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@link3710
A lot of power can be wasted based on design of the architecture or motherboard as it travels around to the various components. Drawing 15W won't necessarily result in the same performance across devices. A more modern chip design can result in better performance at the same power draw, or similar performance at a lower power draw. And certain power draws can maximize efficiency.

Deck should get much better bang for buck, meaning comparable results to my Win 2 without drawing as much power, meaning longer battery life and less heat.

But there's no getting around that modern games still require a lot of power. And I'm not expecting more than 3 hrs for any AAA game, even at 600p 30fps low settings.

But not all games are modern AAA, and many should see 4-5 hrs battery life, maybe more for some. Specifically focusing on those not on Switch or those that see unsatisfactory performance on Switch, games like Tales of Symphonia HD, Trails of Cold Steel 1/2, Ys VIII and Ys IX, Persona 4 Golden, Portal, Portal 2, Half Life 2, Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (which is KB/M but totally playable with Steam Controller, and thus the Deck), Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II, Wolfenstein New Order, Dark Souls 2, Vanquish, Ultra Street Fighter IV, DmC, DQ Heroes 1/2, Alan Wake, Dishonored, Batman Arkham Asylum/City/Origins, Fallout New Vegas and 3, Star Wars KotOR, Rayman Origins, etc)

Games I expect to see 2-3 hrs battery life (hopefully closer to 3 using tricks of the trade), including those on Switch that would benefit greatly from more powerful hardware, would be The Witcher 3, Monster Hunter World, Trials Rising, Cyberpunk 2077, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Doom, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein 2, The Outer Worlds, Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Red Dead Redemption 2, Halo Master Chief Collection, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Borderlands 3, Metro Exodus, Titanfall 2, Batman Arkham Knight, Code Vein, Scarlet Nexus, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Resident Evil 3 Remake, Resident Evil VII, Resident Evil VIII, DMC 5, Dragon Age Inquisition, Control, Sekiro, Nioh 1/2, Tomb Raider Trilogy, Bioshock Trilogy (no gyro on Switch), Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Street Fighter V, Nier Automata and Replicant, Forza Horizon 4 and 5, Final Fantasy XV, Darksiders 3, Hellblade, etc.

Games I would likely play on Switch given the performance to battery life ratio being more appealing would include MH Stories 2, Ori Blind Forest, Ori Will of the Wisps, Hades, Dragon’s Dogma, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Resident Evil Revelations, Resident Evil Revelations 2, Sniper Elite v2, Sniper Elite 3, Sniper Elite 4, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Borderlands The Pre-Sequel, Assassins Creed 3, Assassins Creed 4, Assassins Creed Rogue, Wonderful 101, Civilization VI, Life Is Strange Collection, Life Is Strange True Colors, Trails of Cold Steel III, Trails of Cold Steel IV, SMT3 Nocturne, Persona 5 Strikers, Darksiders, Ni No Kuni, Ni No Kuni 2, Dark Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Pillars of Eternity, Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed, Cuphead, Final Fantasy X/X-2, Final Fantasy XII, XCOM 2, Dragon Quest XI S, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Bayonetta, Okami HD, Catherine Full Body (only Classic is on Steam anyways), Divinity Original Sin 2 (better controller controls), God Eater 3, Daemon X Machina, Metro 2033, Metro Last Light, Skyrim, etc.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Walmart just randomly sent me an email saying they dropped the price of my Switch OLED pre-order by $50

This was a backup order for the neon unit before I secured the white from Target. But now I may have to go with this one

Untitled

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH That is some luck right there lol

I remember Walmart also randomly upgrading some orders for the PS5 Digital Edition to the disc consoles for no reason and they didn't get charged the extra money

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

JaxonH

I can't stop playing Zelda Skyward Sword. This game is incredible!

Mind you, I'm smack dab in the middle of my Monster Hunter Stories 2 playthrough, a game I feel is every bit as good as Rise, and Rise is among my favorite games ever.

So it says a lot that Skyward Sword has gripped me so hard I struggle to go back to MH Stories 2 right now. It has some older design, but holy cow, it's just so good! It's SO GOOD.

I waited 10 years to play this game properly, and it feels like the wait was worth it. I love Breath of the Wild, and I'm not sorry they updated for formula. But man do I love the older Zelda approach.

I'm flabbergasted at how much fun I'm having with this, using motion controls, split joycon. It took a bit to acclimate. Once I got to the Deep Woods past Faron Woods, that's when I noticed I had really gotten the hang of it and wasn't struggling with wrong inputs nearly as often.

Play Zelda Skyward Sword. And play Monster Hunter Stories 2. These games are just so gosh dang addicting.

@TheFrenchiestFry
Walmart... holdin it down for us gamers 😎

link3710

Okay, I posted about this in the TWEWY thread but like... this game is so freaking good. Y'all really should check out the demo if you haven't yet. Difficulty settings unlock immediately after the end of the demo (which is good because the game on normal is too easy), and there's been a pick up in enemy difficulty too. I'm starting to have to observe their behavior and attack during openings, instead of just mashing.

...I'm also expecting for certain things to happen that'll jack up the difficulty shortly, but I'm gonna keep that sort of spoiler to myself, even if it's just a theory.

(For anyone who didn't hear, Squeenix accidentally leaked full retail digital copies of the game today to people who preordered on their website, so I've been busy playing that).

link3710

JaxonH

@link3710
That's what I've been saying!

Neo: The World Ends With You is excellent. And there's a free demo alongside the Monster Hunter Stories 2 demo. Both incredibly good games- there is no excuse for not sampling these delectable morsels of gaming goodness 😀

Snatcher

@JaxonH I think I should A chance.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Haruki_NLI

God not this crap again.

Can we ask him what next week's lottery numbers are?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Grumblevolcano

"insiders" have been claiming exactly that ever since the Prime 4 restart in January 2019 so this isn't something new. Just something that can't be proved or disproved because Prime 4 is MIA.

Much like how the Switch Pro can't be proved or disproved.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
And there’s a reason for that. It’s probably true. Same for the “Switch Pro” which was really slang for “new, more expensive revision with OLED, which might have more to it”, and that was just announced. Leak confirmed. Though the “might” wasn’t for a Pro, but the successor, something we suspected before it was even revealed. The problem with leaks is the information is usually correct, but the assumptions placed on that correct information can often be wrong, and info about two independent products can be intertwined and wrongly assumed to be the same.

Jeff Grubb is not some gossiper. And neither are most of the other people who have spoken on this either. And they’re not “insiders”, they’re insiders. People who legitimately and genuinely have inside knowledge. It doesn’t have to be proven or disproven. It’s not a science project. He’s just sharing information for fans who want information. It’s not magic, it’s human communication. People make games, and people have contacts within multiple facets of the gaming industry. Those people talk and communicate. Information works it’s way out.

Of course the endless baseless cynicism as if human communication is some kind of crystal ball clairvoyance will forever be directed toward anyone who says anything. It’s as if people are personally offended, scared that some Nintendo fan on the Internet might get their hopes up in vain. God forbid one iota of information leak out.

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

So apparently there are rumors floating around that the September 2021 announcement for the Persona 25th projects will be a remaster of Persona 4

Arena Ultimax on modern platforms

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Eh… it’s a game I’d buy. But not the game I’m really wanting from them. That would be Persona 4 Golden on Switch- they could bring P5 also, or a remaster of P3, but just give me the fourth one and I am happy.

TheFrenchiestFry

@JaxonH I realize that this probably isn't what people really wanted to hear about considering the outcry for mainline Persona on non-Sony or PC platforms but honestly I'd gladly double dip on this

P4AU is an amazing fighting game and even if its story is probably going to way over the heads of people who haven't played P3 and P4, I still think it's worth recommending to people who aren't necessarily into Persona but love fighting games anyway, and Sho Minazuki is probably my favorite spinoff-exclusive Persona character next to Hikari from Q2

Does make me wonder why they keep renewing P5 Arena's website domain though.

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

JaxonH

@TheFrenchiestFry
Ya, it’s one of the few fighting games besides Street Fighter I’d actually play.

But I’d rather see Persona 4 Dancing if they’re gonna bring a spin-off. Seriously, I love that game. So I misspoke when I said there was only one game I really wanted.

Edited on by JaxonH

Primo40295

@TheFrenchiestFry could it be that the obvious last spinoff for Persona 5 will be "strikers royal" like we had Ultimax for Persona 4 arena?

Primo40295

Switch Friend Code: SW-0871-5798-7779

TheFrenchiestFry

@Primo40295 Well Ultimax wasn't an enhanced port of Arena, it was a direct sequel, like Eternal Punishment to Innocent Sin basically, so it'd be more likely if Strikers either got a second game with Royal integration or its story gets continued in a seperate spinoff

Strikers did end on a cliffhanger it seemed like with the Phantom Thieves promising to meet each other again in the winter season so it's clearly not a one and done thing

Edited on by TheFrenchiestFry

TheFrenchiestFry

Ralizah

I think I'll pass on any Persona fighting games. I just want the RPGs. Or action-RPGs, like Strikers. And even that is... eh. It runs really well on Switch, but the combat just isn't doing it for me.

Persona 3 remaster on PS4 and PC is a no-brainer. As is a PC port of Royal.

PC is neutral territory.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic