Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,161 to 57,180 of 69,981

JaxonH

@Ralizah
So, a few pointers about the combat.

You have Power, Techical and Speed in a Weapon Triangle fashion. Each monster has a specific type, and the goal is to learn that monster's type so you can take advantage accordingly. Their type never changes. So there's no guessing involved.

Jaggi, which are small and fast, are Speed, for example. Whereas Jaggia, their larger and more powerful cousins, are Power. And the large monster Great Jaggi, is Technical. I remember the small two based on that, and just remember the Great Jaggi is the third type the other two aren't. Most monsters types make logical sense.

But you have to also learn that when a monster gets enraged, their type always changes to where you want to USE the type they previously were. So, taking the Great Jaggi again as an example, he's Techical so you'd use Power against him. But once he's enraged you want to use what he previously was- you want to use Power. Once they're knocked over they usually revert back out of rage mode. Certain monsters like Paolumu, when he floats in the air like a helium ball, his type changes from Technical to Speed, so again you'd use Techical then. They always change one type forward.

Once you get that down, you'll want to leverage it to win Head to Heads. Any monster targeting you, if you win a H2H, you charge your kinship. That can be expended on skills, or if filled, riding the monster. And that can be used strategically because it takes your HP, uses it to fill your monstie's, then refills your HP all the way. So you can time it to your advantage when your HP is low, or your monstie's is low.

Furthermore, once riding your monster, the goal is to win Head to Heads to charge up your Kinship meter to the 2nd and 3rd level, then let rip a massive Kinship Attack.

Then there's weapon type. Slash, pierce and blunt. After you attack a monster with a weapon type, it'll show up from then on as effective or "extra effective". But this also changes up when the monster becomes enraged. And, it's different for different monster parts. Targeting the tail might have Slash as super effective while targeting the body has Blunt as super effective.

As long as you have some Kinship meter, you can dictate to your monstie which attack to use. I don't use this much but it may play a bigger role later in the game.

Skills are also dependent on having Kinship meter. At least, many of them are. Some skills cost nothing to use (like the Bow's paralysis shot), while others require weapon specific charges. Gunlance, for example, gains an ammo shell every round. You can save them up and use on Shelling or Wyvernstake attacks. Or you can use 100 Kinship for Wyvernfire.

Different weapon types have different weapon type specific skills. Hunting Horn has songs to cure abnormal status and heal all allies a bit for 5 turns. But tends to not be quite as powerful as hammer. Likewise, Sword and Shield tends to have Bonus defense as a passive stat bonus and has Guard as a skill, but tends to not be quite as powerful as Great Sword. Etc etc.

You'll also notice that, if you attack the same monster as an ally, and use the same attack type (Power, Technical, Speed) they are using, you'll do a double attack. And, if you're both riding your monstie and both do a Kinship skill on the same turn, you'll do a double Kinship attack.

There's a lot of strategy to these systems and, if you dig in deeper to weapon specific skills you may find you prefer one weapon type over another (Greatsword vs Sword and Shield for slash, Hammer vs Hunting Horn for blunt, Bow vs Gunlance for pierce).

It's insanely addictive once you learn the system and start learning the monsters' types. It's kind of like learning the monsters' tells in the mainline series. Once you learn the monsters' tells you can exploit their openings; likewise, in Stories 2 learning their types is similar to learning their tells, and it's how you exploit them.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

TheFrenchiestFry

@Ralizah I think SMT V will be a few days shy of the deadline considering that usually happens around mid-November like around the 20th or so. I'm not actually putting serious stock in it getting nominated though. It was just a thought after how much Persona 5 blew up at TGA 2017 even next to BotW

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

HotGoomba

@JaxonH I was probably going to play this game on handheld mode anyways so I'm glad that MH Stories 2 looks great portably.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAy there.

gcunit

@IceClimbers Cue people wailing about the gyro controls being bad when in reality they are probably fine, but just take time to get used to. I seem to remember the 3DS version got a bad rap for the gyro controls, but I've found them fine.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

HotGoomba

@IceClimbers I'm usually not a fan of gyro, but this is Monkey Ball, so I'm willing to try it out.

@gcunit The thing with the 3DS is that not only are you turning the controller, you're also turning the screen, which is vomit-inducing for many, including myself. It's not like light gyro like with Mario Kart 7, with Monkey Ball 3D, you're turning the damn system all around. I had a similar issue with Monkey Ball on Mobile.

JaxonH

Yoooo! Gyro in Monkey Ball?!! They didn’t even do that for Banana Blitz!

But I’ll be the first to say- gyro makes Monkey Ball way harder. For aiming it makes games easier, but for this it makes them harder. And the games included in Banana Mania are the three hardest games in the entire series already. I don’t think I could handle playing those games with Gyro. Super Monkey Ball 3D? Totally. The game was made way easier to accommodate Gyro. But these games I can’t even beat using button controls, much less using motion.

But I will say, it is incredibly fun to play these games with Gyro. Incredibly fun. At least, until you get to a stage so difficult you just can’t do it. It feels like one of those marble games you had as a kid in the doctors office waiting room where you tilt the box to roll a ball around the maze without falling into a hole.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ralizah

@JaxonH Yeah, I've got all of that. I do have a few questions, though, if you don't mind:

• I can instruct my monstie to perform certain skills, but not to attack in certain ways, so if my equipped monstie tends to attack in a certain way that's not conducive to winning head-to-heads, then it's better to switch it out with one that attacks differently, correct? Because even the monsters in your party still tend to attack one way.
  • Is there a way to inherit monster field skills (or whatever they're called: swimming, rock breaking, jumping, etc.) genetically from monsters I already have, or am I just stuck carrying around certain types of monsters because they tend to have field skills I need?
  • I'm a bit confused about the eggs. I've noticed the smelly eggs at the end of the nest tend to sparkle. Are those better or worse than plain eggs? If they're worse, is there any point in even hatching them? Can I sell eggs or something?
  • Is there a way to set a sidequest as my active quest that shows information in the corner of the screen?

Thanks.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Each monster has a specific type (Power, Technical, Speed), so as long as you switch out to a monster with the right type, you won’t have to worry about them losing head to heads. So if you’re fighting a Royal Ludroth, which is Power Type, you’ll probably want to switch out for Ranmar, your Velocidrome, because it’s a Speed type. Then just let it do it’s thing. As long as it’s type is correct it’ll do just fine on it’s own.

You’re stuck carrying certain monsters for their field skills. There aren’t many you need though. Swim and Vine Climb, Jump… maybe rock breaker? Maybe? At most you miss out on a chest with 3 potions here and there, nothing too major. For now, I have one for Jump (Ranmar), one for Swim (Royal Ludroth) and one for Rock Breaker (Blue Yian Kut Ku, which also does Nest Search I think). Anyways, I think the point of the game is that you strategize and change up which monsters you take with you at any given time, which encourages replayability as you come back to certain areas with different monsters and are able to access different secret areas and treasures. I take 3 of my favorite monsters, one of each type, regardless of skills, and the other 3 I pick for those field skills.

Sparkly eggs have better stat bonuses when hatching (+2 Defense, +2 Attack, etc). They also have a better chance of rare genes or rainbow slots. There’s no point in holding onto eggs. You’ll want to hatch them, but keep the extra monsties around to use for the Rite, and buff up your main monsties. I Heart my Favorite monsties- the best one of each (gotta collect em all!), and if I hatch a monstie with rainbow genes or something WAY better than the one I already have, I favorite the new one, un-favorite the existing, and then transfer a gene from the existing to the new. It doesn’t take long for your monsties to level up and catch up so it’s not big deal to do a swaperoo if needed.

You can set objective for side quests in the menu under Quests. By doing so you will see the blue marker for your objective on the map, but only if you’re in the correct area of course.

edit
Also, you’ll want to collect as many Bottle Caps as possible. You can get them from Everdens and certain side quests (the old man in Manana Village that asks you to bring certain types of eggs- which btw, anytime you have a lot of eggs, go check with him to accept a side quest for bringing him a new egg type- you earn Bottle Caps from the first few he gives you).
You can expand your stables using Bottle Caps. I always prioritize that if an upgrade is available from the Melynx. Once you’ve upgraded as far as you can, buy Nutriments for permanent upgrades to your rider’s stats.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

I present to you...

My Switch Oled

Untitled

Can't believe my mismatched 3DS is actually going to be trendy alongside my PS5 and Switch OLED. I almost feel compelled to buy a Series S now just because...

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Edited on by JaxonH

TheFrenchiestFry

Honestly the only reason I'm considering a Switch OLED apart from the fact my original Switch has a bit of wear and some scratches from slotting it in the dock from time to time is so it can look color coordinated with my PS5 as well lol

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

The Switch insanity this fall continues with Cruis'n Blast now having a release date confirmed for September 14th.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I suspected as much. Gamestop's pre-order page for the physical had Sept. 14th. Good to have it confirmed. That's only 2 months away.

edit
ATTENTION ALL SWITCH PLAYERS.

If you are tired of drift, scared of drift, or simply want a more ergonomic controller with better travel range on analog sticks, dpad, all while retaining wireless functionality, quality rumble with 3 settings and Gyro that's every bit as good as official Joycon, now is the time to act.

The Binboks are on sale for $38 right now. I may even buy a 3rd pair at that price. They're just so good... SO good.

https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Compatible-Adjustable-Repla...

Edited on by JaxonH

HotGoomba

@JaxonH I own a Series S, and the similarities with the Switch OLED is uncanny. I was going to get a PS5 eventually, and while I don't like the default color of it, I will probably get a skin and darkplates for it to still have the color scheme of the Switch OLED and Series S, while also having it look like an Oreo.

@TheFrenchiestFry I agree with you, but I also think that the Switch OLED will be nice since I mostly play handheld.

JaxonH

@HotGoomba
All the hands on say the OLED screen is fantastic and colors really pop, said the grass in Zelda almost looked cartoonishly green. I know what they mean- colors were like that in Rayman Origins on Vita's OLED. Looks incredible.

I want that handheld experience. The other improvements aren't quite as big as the screen, but they're still nice nonetheless. Kickstand is certainly a welcome addition as someone who adores tabletop, and better, louder, more clear speakers are a nice touch. LAN and storage, a small improvement but I'll take it.

I already had a v2 Switch, but for anyone who doesn't, and either has a launch Switch or a Lite, the battery life is practically doubled from 2.5 hrs min to 4.5 hrs min. That's a bigger improvement than the screen, tbh. Gotta have that battery life. It's the lifeblood of any portable gaming device.

HotGoomba

@JaxonH Yeah, the battery is amazing. I have the initial model of the Switch, so this is a no-brainer for me.

JaxonH

@HotGoomba
Every time my brother visits or I visit him, and we play Monster Hunter Rise or Splatoon 2 in local wireless, his Switch dies. Every. Single. Time. Like clockwork. I have a special mesh bag with a portable battery in it just for him when he comes over lol. When I get this new system, I’m giving him my v2 model 😁

kkslider5552000

So I was curious about Metacritic scores again and wanted to see how many Switch games had actually gotten an 80+.

The number right now is 335. Even as an optimist about Switch, that number is still beyond what I was expecting. Ps4 is at 452, in case you wanted a comparison.

Though for an even more fun comparison, N64 had slightly less than 400 games total.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic