Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 57,181 to 57,200 of 69,981

JaxonH

Just another vehicle in Cruis'n Blast. A hammerhead shark with a laser sight.

Untitled

@DarthNocturnal
It's an even mix.

But you don't have to go so fast you can't even figure out where you're hitting it. The 5 seconds that may save gets trumped by the 30 second penalty for each stroke. Be speedy and judicious, but make sure you're taking enough time to line up your shot correctly. Otherwise you're sabotaging yourself.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

kkslider5552000

Y'know, I played the arcade version of Cruisn Blast a week ago. It was EXACTLY like what I expected a modern Cruisn game to be. I thought it was neat, but I'm not entirely sure how much people nowadays would even appreciate it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

IceClimbers

That September/October stretch is looking stacked. Sonic Colors Ultimate, WarioWare Get it Together, Cruis'n Blast, Diablo II Resurrected, Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania, Metroid Dread, and Mario Party Superstars all in a row.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TheFrenchiestFry

If Switch gets anything Persona during the 25th Anniversary it's going to either be Arena or Q3

Calling it.

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

Grumblevolcano

@TheFrenchiestFry Isn't Etrian Odyssey (and Persona Q) over because the Switch doesn't have 2 screens though? Do think Arena's a lot more likely though.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@kkslider5552000
Cruis'n Blast is one of those games that'll get middling to fair reviews, because most people nowadays aren't into it. But for the ones who are, it's gonna be a must own title.

edit
Cruis'n Blast can be pre-ordered on BestBuy website for $39.99 + $10 Promo Gift Card with purchase.

edit 2
Aw man, I wish the OLED Switch was out now. So many games that would look insanely good in handheld mode that I'll be done playing by the time it drops.

Skyward Sword is definitely one of them. But also MH Stories 2 and Neo The World Ends With You. Will get to experience MH Rise when Ultimate Edition drops next year.

WarioWare, Cruis'n Blast and Metroid Dread all release just before or on release day. Those games are gonna look so good. Especially Cruis'n Blast, a true neon fever dream.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

rallydefault

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Y'know, I played the arcade version of Cruisn Blast a week ago. It was EXACTLY like what I expected a modern Cruisn game to be. I thought it was neat, but I'm not entirely sure how much people nowadays would even appreciate it.

Yea, I've been saying this, but for whatever reason this forum is hailing it as the next coming of awesomeness lol

Cruis'n is and always will be Cruis'n lol

Fun to drop a couple quarters on with friends at an arcade, but always REALLY bad console adaptations that just don't hold up to the short-term fun of the arcade experience. Yea, it's been awhile since the last console port, so people are treating that as the reason why this one is gonna be "the one," I guess, but count me out until we start seeing some reviews.

rallydefault

Ralizah

So, I've got my Switch propped up on my tablet stand like a little TV while I'm at my PC, and it's nice, but a slightly bigger screen would defo increase visibility.

Will probably heavily consider the Switch XL if it's not scalped to hell and back like everything else seems to be these days.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Yes... Embrace the tabletop. Feel the console experience flow through you!

gcunit

@rallydefault Seems a bit harsh on Cruis'n on the Wii. It's pretty bare bones, but it's good fun to play.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Ralizah

@JaxonH I pretty much never use the joycons anymore, but they're kinda nice for tabletop mode.

I pretty much only make use of this mode with JRPGs, although I imagine it'll get a massive boost with Advance Wars. I remember matches in Days of Ruin going for an hour at a time. And I'd usually replay them multiple times to achieve the best score. Although turning off animations helps with that somewhat.

The increase in battery life would be nice, too. It's only been a little while and MHS2 has already killed my Switch battery.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I take it you still have a v1 Switch? The battery life improvement is massive. It actually makes portable binges viable. Lile 5 hrs on max brightness and volume and wifi for AAA games.

Tabletop is so good though. I used it tons for MH Rise. And Sniper Elite 4. Aiming with split joycon as God intended.

I thought the v2 was a good upgrade in and of itself. If you're getting the battery life from that and the OLED/speakers/kickstand/64GB/LAN that's a pretty big step up.

JaxonH

@gcunit
It’s not even a real Cruis’n title.

It’s Fast n Furious port where there was a licensing issue and they just changed the name. So it wasn’t developed as a Cruis’n game, and the team that made it wasn’t even the same team.

@Wavey84
It’s good for more than just Nintendo exclusive gamers. A very large portion of the fanbase owns at least one other console, but simply prefers the hybrid advantage whenever it’s an option. It’s good for them too.

I can almost guarantee Nintendo isn’t doing VR. And while I understand it has its fans, it’s a money sink far too few care about to be viable. Even Sony couldn’t make it popular. Even Valve with a new Half Life couldn’t make it popular. I’m not trying to rag on it- I had a mind blowing experience with my two VR headsets… for the first two weeks anyways. Then I realized it’s best experienced like a theme park- something you do once every few years for fun. If you’re into it I think that’s awesome but you’re definitely gonna have to look elsewhere for that.

I would, however, be in favor of stereoscopic 3D. I totally agree with the experience on 3DS and I felt the exact same way. But again, it seems we are in the minority because most people hated it and turned it off. Hence the 2DS, which was Nintendo’s final concession to the fact too few cared. I think it would be a gobsmackingly awesome experience on a 720p OLED screen. But I also know it’s just not going to happen.

We’ll get a generational leap around base PS4 level, but, likely with the advantage of DLSS which should help it produce images reasonably comparable to current gen and allow for 720p-1080p 60 FPS options more frequently. They won’t be as good as current gen, but with diminishing returns in perceived visuals, it’ll seem close enough to the average consumer.

I doubt they’re going to do anything crazy this next gen. They’ve finally found their place in the market, which means doubling down on what’s working. Nintendo may seem like they don’t listen but they do. Switch was a course correction with numerous fan complaints addressed- from region free to an HD capacitive screen, online based accounts and a snappy OS. They know good and well people like the Switch and just want a more powerful version. And I feel confident that’s exactly what we’re going to get.

rallydefault

@JaxonH
You speak of VR as if it's over and done with. The next Oculus is rumored to be on the near horizon, and I was under the impression that the Oculus 2 is doing pretty well for itself.

Anecdotally, my one group of friends plays VR games almost nightly. I'm still not sold on it enough to warrant such an expensive purchase, but from what I hear there are more and more devs making games for the VR platforms.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

I don't think VR is the future of gaming.

The people who like it really love it. But most people aren't interested, don't want to wear a visor every time they sit down to relax and play a game, you can't lean back and relax with it on, many games require a more active stance preventing couch potato gaming, and it's only really good for games designed around it.

My brother used to say the same thing. He would go on and on about how VR is gonna take over, and he genuinely loved it. Binged on it for like a year. But then he got tired if it and moved on.

It will remain a niche. It's not going anywhere. We'll always have it moving forward, but it will continue to be a smaller subset of gaming at large, serving a small but dedicated fanbase. I know ppl who are super into it want to believe it's the future and it's gonna go mainstream, but if that were true it already would have. 115 million PS4 owners and PSVR only sold like 5 mil, and that was on the hype of VR and its untold potential.

I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing something some people love. I know when you're extremely passionate you want to defend it. I get it. I say this with all due respect. But VR will never be more than a tiny niche. There's a reason MS and Nintendo aren't pursuing it. Even if they made headsets fully wireless and it came free with a system, I still think most ppl, after trying it for a few weeks and being genuinely impressed, would then move on back to normal gaming. It's just not a good replacement for most people. But, there is that subset that loves it and actually sticks with it long term. If that's you, you'll continue to be able to do so. There's a large enough base that I do believe it's sustainable, it just won't get much beyond occasional big games tacking on a mode here and there.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic