Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 56,941 to 56,960 of 70,043

Haruki_NLI

If SMTV looks like a PS2 game I want to buy their PS2 please and thank you.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@TheJGG SMT V feels like the first HD game they've developed that really couldn't have been done on weaker hardware. Persona 5 is terrific, of course, but it's very much a conservative evolution of the game design in their PS2 Persona games. Atlus, like Nintendo, is very good at successfully iterating on what they've done before. But there's really no precedent for a game with such open level design like this from Atlus. Or for a game where to-scale demons literally stomp around the environments.

Atlus is my favorite JRPG developer, but oftentimes it seems like they're merely satisfied with crafting excellent experiences that remain firmly in their comfort zone. And, you know, that's fine. If SMT V was just an HD elaboration on SMT IV/IV: Apocalypse, I'd definitely still love it. But it's nice to see them taking chances with this entry.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

Dread Report 2 is out (in Japan, anyways). But it came with a bit of new footage for the game.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@Balta666
Looks at Nocturne

Looks at FF VII, Chrono Cross, Xenogears

What the heck are you talking about? PS1 RPGs had horribly poly counts, basically no lighting, and often used fixed camera angles and pre-rendered backgrounds.

Nocturne may be nowhere near the best looking PS2 RPG, but it's leagues beyond the PS1.

If you're being serious, I think your memory is playing tricks on you.

link3710

link3710

@Balta666 To be fair, that was a list of every PS1 RPGs I've actually played.

But I did lookup FF VIII since you brought it up. It definitely looks really freaking good for a PS1 game... But it still relies on the same tricks, just better disguised. FMV sequences aside, the characters are still low poly (albeit significantly higher than FF VII), there's still no lighting. Still dealing with really rough textures and a lot of pre-rendered backgrounds. The overworld looks incredibly basic, and most natural things (trees, dirt, etc) look very off.

Definitely a contender for best looking PS1 game, especially since they worked so hard to hide the limitations.

But comparing Nocturne? The game has some fantastically lit scenes, much less jagged characters, much better looking foliage and overworld, etc. Look at how the models are lit in battle in this.

Is FF VIII a better game stylistically? I'd say yes. The same could be said for say... Banjo-Kazooie vs a good chunk of the mud brown PS3 games. But in terms of raw graphical fidelity, Nocturne still blows it out of the water. No one would think that game could run on a PS1.

Edited on by link3710

link3710

link3710

@Balta666 Compare to FF VIII's overworld consisting of like, three low poly models and textures (at least at the beginning of the game), that's an improvement. And that's nitpicking really, we both know the overworld is the worst looking part of both games.

link3710

TheFrenchiestFry

@Balta666 Nocturne doesn't look as amazing as some other PS2 RPGs like FFX or Kingdom Hearts but in no way does it look worse next to other PS1 era RPGs. At least it actually has things going on in its overworld and environments unlike stuff like FFVII and VIII, Chrono Cross and Legend of Legaia

Hell Nocturne's dungeons look more visually interesting compared to even Persona 3 and 4 to me

TheFrenchiestFry

Switch Friend Code: SW-4512-3820-2140 | My Nintendo: French Fry

rallydefault

My vote for Chrono Cross, as well. But I love that game in every way so I'm biased lol

rallydefault

rallydefault

@Snaplocket
Same here, actually. And I really did want to play Trigger, but I was young when it first came out and my parents wouldn't buy it for me. Pretty sure I saw articles on it in Nintendo Power and kept begging for it, but alas, it didn't happen.

So yea, a few years later I was a bit older and had some allowance money from time to time. Chrono Cross was definitely a game with a good time return for the money lol

rallydefault

JaxonH

I do have to actually recommend the vid Giancarlo posted. It's a solid analysis.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Yo… I suspect I’m not the only one happy about this. Perhaps a certain someone whose name starts with R and ends with alizah.

Untitled

Anti-Matter

Wow, something unexpected. 😮
Untitled

I saw some progress from Instant Sports Paradise. Customization, free roaming, party games like Wii era.

Edited on by Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

Ryu_Niiyama

Oh snap is that a sequel to AI? Cool! I am down for the regular edition.Also glad this is next year. I am dying with too many games to buy this year.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

@JaxonH 2022 is looking like an awesome sequel to 2021. I need to play the original again now in preparation.

edit:

Having watched the trailer now, I'm left wondering if the fact that she's playing 999 on her device, which resembles a Switch, is itself teasing a release of The Nonary Games collection on Switch. Although, admittedly, its construction is more reminiscent of a Vita...

I can still dream!

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Grumblevolcano

How long is the MH Stories 2 demo? I just started it yesterday.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic